• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Except the Isle of Armor is more than likely based on the Isle of Man, that's located in the middle of the Irish Sea.

The Isle of Man is tiny, in no way is it comparable to England or Scotland. Ireland is know as the Emerald Isle. The UK is made up of 4 constituent parts, of which 1 is Northern Ireland, but people still to this day refer to as "England Ireland Scotland Wales" in that order, even though the Republic has been independent for almost 100 years.

In the text of the update today it says there is a stop on the way to the Isle of Armour, that could be Isle of Man I suppose.
Isle of Man is more comparable to this image
1578617449301.png
happens to be a similar shape as well

I don't think that the base game is worth $60 or that the expansion is akin to half the game. Hence, the complete package is definitely not worth $90.

As I've said before, I am not going to pretend to be impressed just because USUM were arguably less consumer-friendly (by $10) or because they're bringing back 200-ish Pokemon for free. What matters is the new content and it's a mixed bag so far. I don't see an exciting new story or much of a challenge to conquer.

And that would be fair, like I said you should judge the expansion in terms of what it actually brings to the table, so if we see that the content is literally just 2 new Wild Areas and 200+ Pokemon. My point was more that DLC isn't automatically a ripoff just because it's compensating for SwSh's deficiencies. Most people already agree that SwSh wasn't worth $60, but if the expansion pass were to offer at least half a game's worth of content and/or end up with more content than any single game, then it'd actually be good value and the issue would be more with the base game's offerings being so poor. DLC can be done right and offer substantial content that legitimately goes beyond what's expected out of a normal game, so it's not fair to judge it as consumer unfriendly based on the value of the base game.

The Isle of Man is tiny, in no way is it comparable to England or Scotland. Ireland is know as the Emerald Isle. The UK is made up of 4 constituent parts, of which 1 is Northern Ireland, but people still to this day refer to as "England Ireland Scotland Wales" in that order, even though the Republic has been independent for almost 100 years.

In the text of the update today it says there is a stop on the way to the Isle of Armour, that could be Isle of Man I suppose.
Isle of Man is more comparable to this image View attachment 130176 happens to be a similar shape as well
Until the expansion comes out, we shall wait and see.

Ireland (most of it is not part of the UK. But then, neither were the Channel Islands to France, nor that Russian island in Japan.

Last edited:
DLC can be done right and offer substantial content that legitimately goes beyond what's expected out of a normal game, so it's not fair to judge it as consumer unfriendly based on the value of the base game.
Of course. I was one of the few who wanted DLC for XY rather than a separate game, and I suspected that it might happen for Galar due to the home console environment. The potential is there, but I don't think it will be fulfilled with Galar. Good DLC isn't what you'd expect from the base game, unless it's free.

Oy vey it's one trailer.

Also, do you think this is what Game Freak means when they said they'd "take a challenge" or whatever.

Because even I have to agree that expansion passes, as awesome as they look (and they look really awesome. Come on downers, just try to use your negative powers on me. It won't work.), are pretty underwhelming for a "challenge"

Gen 8 is how Gen 6 should have been done. It's almost like they are making up for it, or this is what they initially planned back then.

Year 1 - Main: --- XY -> SW/Sh
Year 2 - Expansion: --- Episode Z -> Armour/Crown
Year 3 - Remake: --- ORAS -> DPRE

The gap year was fine, but they could've done Episode Z or whatever, just show us a bit more of South Kalos, chuck Zygarde in and his little gimmick, a few more bells and whistles etc. Boom. Similar to Dexio in USUM, could've even insisted you have to catch regular Zygarde before going on the quest to catch the other 50 cells, along the way get 10% form, before ultimately reuniting, probably against Xerosic.

I think this was the intention, they said they'd wrap XY up in a unique way, I never bought the idea that was just via the anime. Obviously it never came to fruition.

Last edited:
Of course. I was one of the few who wanted DLC for XY rather than a separate game, and I suspected that it might happen for Galar due to the home console environment. The potential is there, but I don't think it will be fulfilled with Galar. Good DLC isn't what you'd expect from the base game, unless it's free.

Hence why I said it may be simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen. It's an improvement over third versions but it can easily be abused and considering Game Freak's struggles in providing sufficient content to the games, probably will be.

I have some thoughts on the DLC now since I've had the day to let the news simmer into my brain.

I love it. I freaking love it. Gone are the days of 3rd versions I say. This was a great idea, so much better than having to buy a full-priced game just to experience a few new Pokemon, and a new story.

The new Pokemon are all pretty cool. Kubfu and Urshifu are fine in design, though I did like the cinematic reveal for Urshifu and it's Gigantamax forms. They gave off giant towering pillars of strength vibe. Calyrex is also pretty weird, but also pretty cool. Not sure how to feel about this one yet. The triforce designs in it are pretty cool. Very bold reference there GF. The whole Crown Tundra DLC gave me some serious BOTW vibes so Calyrex's little reference fits right in. The regis are just as creepy as the other regis, so that works well for me.

But those Galarian Legendary Birds (still not sure if those are exactly them, but that's what I am calling them). Those are amazing. Galarian forms for Legendaries. I knew regional variants would be a great concept capable of expanding more and more, and it's showing off how it is. Honestly at some point seeing Galarian forms for starters and fossils doesn't seem too out of the question now. New Articuno is super sleek looking, and I love the fluffy, roadrunner like Zapdos.

The areas look amazing too! Like I am so excited to explore those areas. The first feelings I got when seeing them was that urge o explore them, all their nooks and crannies. I am particularly excited to explore those old structures that we saw concept art of in the Crowned Tundra. It started immediately giving me BOTW vibes and I am stoked.

And it's great to see more returning Pokemon. No, it's not all of them, but I am happy to see more come back. And it's not like they're locked behind the paywall either. Once they are available they should be able to be transferred up through Home just fine, and I am sure there are many kind souls who will be trading out some. It's just a matter of transferring them in or getting some traded to you if you don't intend on purchasing the DLC.

I think the only thing that I am a little bummed with is the price itself. Honestly, it's not too bad, but if it was a bit lower I think it would be better. The DLC for BOTW was like $20, so I wasn't expecting $30 ($60 if you get both). But like I said, it certainly could be worse. It's definitely much better than paying another $60 for a third version.

I wonder what more information we'll get on the DLC in the coming months. Will there be more announced characters? Will they announce some more Galarian forms? Honestly, there is a lot they can do with this, and I am excited to see what more they can bring to the table.

One thing I wonder is if characters from the DLC will be added to the champion rematch participant list?

I'm also hoping the "New battle challenge" will include a post game facility with full battles but I won't hold my breath.

Finally, I really wonder what the dojo's "very particular training styles" will refer to. Hopefully more than just "your starter (and only your starter) can now Gigantamax" and hopefully not just cutscenes with no game mechanic.

I also wonder if this expansion will give us other things along with the expanded adventures, like the ability to buy TRs with cash or have tutors that'll teach the "lost" moves to you like Return and such. If these expansion packs throw in some quality of life bonuses that'll make these games more valuable then I say, "Go, GF!", and they'll definitely be worth the price. I mean, together, they're the price of one run-of-the-mill Switch game, and considering that we used to go the route of third version/sequels/updated re-releases, it's actually more affordable than any of those options at this time. So, let's hope that this DLC will grant us more than just extra adventures and more Mons.
We're told there will be Tutors will all new moves; I wouldn't be surprised if one will be a replacement for Return/Frustration--a fairly high power normal attack with no secondary effect or drawback--and others filling niches other deleted moves left.
For instance, Hidden Power? Yeah, I won't be surprised if we have moves of each type with 60 power and suspiciously generous distribution.

No. You don't.

Guys, literally the only reason you currently need NSO is to play online. Updates and DLC, as well as access to the eShop, are not restricted by NSO.
I love you for answering this question! Now I don't have to worry about spending more money if the only thing I want is DLC for the games I'm planning to get.

Finally, I really wonder what the dojo's "very particular training styles" will refer to. Hopefully more than just "your starter (and only your starter) can now Gigantamax" and hopefully not just cutscenes with no game mechanic.
I'm willing to bet they have something to do with the new battle type (is it even really a battle type).
Official SwSh Site said:
A new way to battle: Restricted Sparring
The Isle of Armor will also introduce a way to challenge yourself to some new battles! With Restricted Sparring, you’ll be limited in what types of Pokémon you can use and forced to battle under set conditions! Give it a try, and give some of your Pokémon that are normally overlooked a chance to shine!

Maybe you could at least try to be opptimistic? These passes could be LOADED with new content for all you know. Don't be such a debbie downer.
Pessimism is only natural for someone who hasn't enjoyed Game Freak's output more often than not in the past 6 years. I think that a balanced forum should have both optimists and "debbie downers", as well as people in between. For the anime these days, I'm part of the optimists. Anyway, I've said my piece about this expansion until they release more information, which I suspect isn't going to be until April at best (we had to wait 3+ months for more SwSh information, and they were brand new games whose initial Direct revealed less information).

With Klara/Avery’s goal being to establish a Gym of their own, maybe we really will see the Minor League Gyms some day.
Originally I thought that the DLC was introducing the minor leagues when I saw the rivals based on their clothing.

I could definitely see something akin to gyms in the Isle of Armor that function as a minor league in all but name.

I'm also hoping the "New battle challenge" will include a post game facility with full battles but I won't hold my breath.

Sounds like they may add in some kind of Champion's tournament, since there is an episode in the anime introducing Leon battling Lance.

I'm willing to bet they have something to do with the new battle type (is it even really a battle type).
I've considered that possibility, too. The description reminds me of the alternate cups in Stadium that restricted you to unevolved Pokémon or other limits.

Sounds like they may add in some kind of Champion's tournament, since there is an episode in the anime introducing Leon battling Lance.
Something like the World Tournament from BW2 would be nice. I wasn't playing during gen 5 (I don't recall why--I may have just had too much else to do) so I missed out on that.

Something like the World Tournament from BW2 would be nice. I wasn't playing during gen 5 (I don't recall why--I may have just had too much else to do) so I missed out on that.
That would be something I would like. This and the Battle Dome were the only facilities I actually liked, but that's only I have a weakness for bracket tournaments.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom