• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Well, the birds at least didn't have any lore as far as I know, so they can be justified.
Which is fine, I guess, but it wouldn't work for the Johto ones. I'm pretty sure I'll continue to prefer the birds' anime lore than anything Game Freak bother to offer.

Which is fine, I guess, but it wouldn't work for the Johto ones. I'm pretty sure I'll continue to prefer the birds' anime lore than anything Game Freak bother to offer.
Then again, that was because they gave them something aside from "rare and powerful". Also, I didn't say the others wouldn't be messed up (unless it's Zeraora, since it also doesn't have lore).

Considering how GF said they were off-and-on working on even the look of the grass for about 6 months
I'm really skeptical that GameFreak spent six months on the grass graphics alone--maybe grass graphics plus animations plus physical interactions with 'mons and players could take six months, but not just modeling--because they don't look like the product of six months. The green grass doesn't even match with the flat ground grass, which is more yellow-green. And, of course, six months of work does not mean that the devs were grinding out these graphics 24/7. I spent about a whole week on a lab for stats, but I didn't spend many hours and hours working on it, more like 5-45 minutes per day.
and the end result just wasn't to most peoples' tastes (I don't really care for the look of it myself). But it's entirely possible that it looked good in the eyes of the people making it.
I doubt anyone at GameFreak thought that the tree graphics were good looking. Serviceable perhaps, or nothing of major concern, but probably not "this is good looking."

Last edited:
I'm really skeptical that GameFreak spent six months on the grass graphics alone--maybe grass graphics plus physical interactions with 'mons and players could take six months, but not just modeling--because they don't look like the product of six months. The grass doesn't match with the flat ground grass, which is a more yellow-green. And, of course, six months of work does not mean that the devs were grinding out these graphics 24/7.

That's why I said off-and-on working. ;) Obviously there was no six-month block of development time in which all anyone at the studio talked about was the grass. But the point is that it's something into which they did put a solid amount of consideration.

I doubt anyone at GameFreak thought that the tree graphics were good looking. Serviceable perhaps, or nothing of major concern, but probably not "this is good looking."

Sure. Frankly I'd say that the bar for Pokémon overworld graphics has always been "serviceable" rather than "good" anyway. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like them to whip out the absolute shittiest thing as quick as they can without thinking about it.

That's why I said off-and-on working.
I need to get better at reading. Sorry for missing that.
I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like them to whip out the absolute shittiest thing as quick as they can without thinking about it.
That's very true. I just don't think spent as much time on the graphics as they could and should have considering the content amount in SwSh and the fact that they're an AAA company, and I think the trees, and to a lesser extent the grass, are evidence of that.

With those 2 new regis Pyramid King Brandon could now have a team full of regis if he wanted to. XD

With those 2 new regis Pyramid King Brandon could now have a team full of regis if he wanted to. XD
cfe.jpg

At any rate, do you guys think that, in order to obtain the new regis, we will have to go through a process similar to the one to get the first three?

Were people saying back then that "Pokemon's holding out for Z version"?
This is probably the thing a lot of people still claim that desperately needed to exist.

Honestly, XY is when they should have introduced DLC to fill the gaps of missing content. Even i as someone who tolerated the lack of content in those games because it was their first 3D main series game and they had to do new animations, over 721 models and so on, felt like something was missing. This is when they should have done it but for some reason didn't.

This is probably the thing a lot of people still claim that desperately needed to exist.

Honestly, XY is when they should have introduced DLC to fill the gaps of missing content. Even i as someone who tolerated the lack of content in those games because it was their first 3D main series game and they had to do new animations, over 721 models and so on, felt like something was missing. This is when they should have done it but for some reason didn't.
It was scrapped because of Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, and GF/TPCi needed a new Gen to celebrate it.

The total of old Pokemon returning will probably be around 150 + 150 = around 300. So we'll probably get a total of 600 old Pokemon returning for Sword and Shield.

Also, can I just say, that the Poison-type Rival Klara looks pretty much identical to what I had originally imagined Opal would look like back when I first read the Affleck leak?

I think the wording on these things is often terrible - if those aren't Galarian Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres then it's pointless adding them without some huge lore reason explaining why they are so similar.
Won't we need a lore explanation for their alternate forms existing in the first place?
We need to assume a third or maybe even fourth regi to those two we got or maybe with the others it will be 6 all together.
There's no reason to assume it at all. Why assume it would be six instead of eight, or one for each type?
After having so much of the main game spoiled by Affleak,
That's such a great name! Why did nobody ever use it until now?

Forget the graphically-controversial-trees, I have concerns that this could have been added to the games as part of the complete package for 60$ if they delayed their games for a few months. Don't get me wrong - I've said multiple times that Pokemon is too big a franchise with multiple departments interconnected with each other that the game delays would be a massive problem. But this is one of those "what if" scenarios that seems... questionable.

Ooh! I know their plan! They're forcing people who don't want to fork out money to make friends in order to get their favorite Pokemon! They want us to interact socially!

I would like to note that as the birds were being shown, the voiceover mentioned new Pokémon, not new regional variants. While it’s more likely that they’re variants of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres now that I think about it, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of these being new Pokémon.

Label that whatever you want them to be. It will not change the fact that I do not like the fact Niantic will have another excuse to cycle those oversized poultry dishes through Pokemon Go.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom