• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

With people comparing Calyrex to Courage the Cowardly Dog characters, I finally remembered why Articuno reminds me of angry birds...
1578736230648.png

1578736272181.jpeg

DLC is a great idea to avoid the need for third versions. I love it, in theory. But in practice, the execution is terrible, which is exactly what I expected from Game Freak.

They are basically selling us as DLC, things that used to be free in the past. Things like old Pokemon and some scarce post game content (which is still subpar content, compared to oldschool third versions).

And the DLC is far too expensive for what it offers, which is honestly not much... They have turned from Game Freak to Greedy Freak. The abbreviation is still GF though :rolleyes:

Last edited:
DLC is a great idea to avoid the need for third versions. I love it, in theory. But in practice, the execution is terrible, which is exactly what I expected from Game Freak.

They are basically selling us as DLC, things that used to be free in the past. Things like old Pokemon and some scarce post game content (which is still subpar compared to oldschool third versions, imo).

And the DLC is far too expensive for what it offers, which is honestly not much...

They have turned from Game Freak to Greedy Freak. The abbreviation is still GF though :rolleyes:
The 'mons are free; you can transfer them from Pokémon Home or get them from trades. You just won't be able to catch them yourself if you didn't buy the Expansion Pass.

Not really, because we've barely seen the amount of content of the DLC's.
I admire your optimism. Knowing GameFreak's recent history of disappointing hardcore fans.

The content of this DLC is clearly not going to be equal to half a new game. Which is what is costs.

Last edited:
I admire your optimism. Knowing GameFreak's recent history of disappointing hardcore fans.

The content of this DLC is clearly not going to be equal to half a new game. Which is what is costs.

I'll email Junichi Masuda and let him know you want more games like Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon versus DLC "expansions" that breath life into the existing game.

Game Freak is just the developer, I think the issue of pricing is set by The Pokemon Company or Nintendo. When it comes to Pokemon, there are a lot of greedy hands in the pot wanting their share of the revenues. Outside of that, people's salaries need to be paid. If GF development staff are indeed working like dogs to keep up with us demanding fans, I hope they are getting paid well for it.

I will admit to being disappointed in having to buy two separate DLC passes.

I'll email Junichi Masuda and let him know you want more games like Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon versus DLC "expansions" that breath life into the existing game.
Or, alternatively, you could improve your reading comprehension.

I said I prefer DLC. On this very page.

Or, alternatively, you could improve your reading comprehension.

I said I prefer DLC. On this very page.

I did read that, however, thanks for pointing that out.

That does not change the intent of my reply to yours. Skip to the part of my reply where I say "the issue of pricing is set by..." and read again.

Thanks for the reply.

Additionally, you are criticizing Game Freak for embracing a DLC model that has already been in use by other developers (Activision is a big offender here). We also do not know just how drastic or lacking the new will be with content. This is a new realm for GF, and there is no standard to hold them to.

Last edited:
What if the Legendary Birds found in the Expansion Pass aren't Galarian forms but rather new alternate forms for them? The Direct didn't specify what they are after all, and the tree does have something to do with them.

What if the Legendary Birds found in the Expansion Pass aren't Galarian forms but rather new alternate forms for them? The Direct didn't specify what they are after all, and the tree does have something to do with them.
Yes, Serebii has been the initial one calling it a regional variant with no way to verify if it’s correct, since officially no comments have been made.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom