• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Free if you pay for Home or Online... so not really free. My point stands...
but HOME is free? It said so in the Direct... That said, you still seem to need NSO for it, but that's hardly on GF, as it's a Nintendo policy.

That said, pricing of the games isn't just decided by GF either. And I still think a 30 dollar expansion pass still absolutely beats an enhanced version of 60 dollars. Because if you're honest, was the full price of third instalments really equal to the amount of content you get? I doubt it, but to each their own I guess. What we're getting now is content usually found in the enhanced versions, offering content that was definitely not free in the past. You paid the price of a full game for it

The direct said Home will be free to Dow load but I think there was a "service costs" disclaimer - it was bound to need a subscription of some sort like Bank.

The cut Pokémon can still be traded in for free without NSO but it would require knowing someone in real life who either has NSO or the expansion.

"GF uses DLC. It's not effective"

What a joke! Seeing how GF is handling Pkmn, it comes as no surprise. After the uproar about USUM and after seeing how third versions/sequels can be well handled with B2W2, GF tries to mask their crappy DLC as a substitute for a third versions to try to not being damaged and so that people don't see the holes in their arguments.
So far, third versions provide an improvement to game design and graphics. Does these DLC do that? No, they are just an excuse to save some Pkmn only to be selled latter with extra content that most likely should be in the game by launch. Does this sound familiar!? Of course it does, because GF is late to the DLC party that saw gamers getting furious at certain developers and publishers because of cutting games like cakes and making us pay a big extra for slices in order to have the full cake. And just like all the ruckus before launch that didn't translated into poor sales, so too will players fall for it and happily buy these expansion passes. How the Simi trio is so fitting here. :X3:
Also, the legendary birds and the Regis, seriously!? You don't have the imagination to just come up with entirely new Pkmn and lore? Oh yes, of course not, otherwise, poor Meowth wouldn't have been abused like he is in SwSh. :sneaky:

"GF uses DLC. It's not effective"

What a joke! Seeing how GF is handling Pkmn, it comes as no surprise. After the uproar about USUM and after seeing how third versions/sequels can be well handled with B2W2, GF tries to mask their crappy DLC as a substitute for a third versions to try to not being damaged and so that people don't see the holes in their arguments.
So far, third versions provide an improvement to game design and graphics. Does these DLC do that? No, they are just an excuse to save some Pkmn only to be selled latter with extra content that most likely should be in the game by launch. Does this sound familiar!? Of course it does, because GF is late to the DLC party that saw gamers getting furious at certain developers and publishers because of cutting games like cakes and making us pay a big extra for slices in order to have the full cake. And just like all the ruckus before launch that didn't translated into poor sales, so too will players fall for it and happily buy these expansion passes. How the Simi trio is so fitting here. :X3:
Also, the legendary birds and the Regis, seriously!? You don't have the imagination to just come up with entirely new Pkmn and lore? Oh yes, of course not, otherwise, poor Meowth wouldn't have been abused like he is in SwSh. :sneaky:

Go sit in the time out corner

The direct said Home will be free to Dow load but I think there was a "service costs" disclaimer - it was bound to need a subscription of some sort like Bank.

The cut Pokémon can still be traded in for free without NSO but it would require knowing someone in real life who either has NSO or the expansion.
1578842859064.png
Quick screengrab shows that it's free to download, but some features require paid subscription. I assume these features are things such as cloud storage and online connectivity. Whether we'll also need that to transfer 'mons from Bank to HOME remains to be seen, but wouldn't surprise me. But then again, that all goes back to NSO, which is a Nintendo policy

cloud storage and online connectivity. Whether we'll also need that to transfer 'mons from Bank to HOME remains to be seen, but wouldn't surprise me. But then again, that all goes back to NSO, which is a Nintendo policy
We don’t know if it comes with NSO, otherwise they’d have mentioned that already. And... isn’t cloud storage and online the entire point of the app?

It just probably means that the smartphone App Store won’t present an upfront cost to download the app; but prompt you to subscribe if you want to actually use the app’s services.

Isn't Pokemon Home sorta useless without the ability to store your Pokemon in the app? They should at least have a non-cloud storage feature as free to use so the app won't be useless without the subscription.

Isn't Pokemon Home sorta useless without the ability to store your Pokemon in the app? They should at least have a non-cloud storage feature as free to use so the app won't be useless without the subscription.
There are plenty of apps useless without their subscriptions, so any corporation wouldn’t mind releasing an app like that.

but HOME is free? It said so in the Direct... That said, you still seem to need NSO for it, but that's hardly on GF, as it's a Nintendo policy.

That said, pricing of the games isn't just decided by GF either. And I still think a 30 dollar expansion pass still absolutely beats an enhanced version of 60 dollars. Because if you're honest, was the full price of third instalments really equal to the amount of content you get? I doubt it, but to each their own I guess. What we're getting now is content usually found in the enhanced versions, offering content that was definitely not free in the past. You paid the price of a full game for it
Home is free to download. Whether it is completely free to use all of its features, we don't know yet.

And this expansion pass has less new content than what a third version would offer, as far as I can see. So it should absolutely cost less.

Game Freak are free to change my mind if they can, but I doubt they will.

Last edited:
In theory they could include a local store/transfer service with no fee which could be useful for people like me who like to breed a team to transfer into another game or people with both versions of the game who want to complete the Pokédex.

To be honest though I think it's best to assume that Home is going to be the Switch version of Bank, expecting any more than that is begging for disappointment later :p

As much as I don’t like the paywall the Home case isn’t really much different from paying for Bank to transfer earlier.

yes but in this case the point of the app is to link all experiences of pokemon together as features not just bank and sword and shield compatibility as it can be with go and lets go as well not to mention it a phone/tablet app that will allow you to even trade pokemon on it with people and as such with all those feature i doubt it going to be 5 USD a year or directly tied to switch online . i fully expect a 5 USD a month fee and/or a 20 to 40 USD fee with if it the 40 USD a 20 for 3 months plan .

i think the reason they did not annouce the price yet is because they didn't wanna geteven more backlash if it cost that much

they can only be traded without the NSO if you trade over local wireless you wanna trade without it NSO is the only option

We don’t know if it comes with NSO, otherwise they’d have mentioned that already. And... isn’t cloud storage and online the entire point of the app?

It just probably means that the smartphone App Store won’t present an upfront cost to download the app; but prompt you to subscribe if you want to actually use the app’s services.
READ ABOVE

NO and YES

and these games as 60 USD pokemon game are a farce to a certain extent when you consider there are companies selling full games on cart for the switch at 30 to 50 USD meaning The pokemon company (this includes nintendo by the way) knows full well they could sell them cheaper if they want they just choose not to it the same with adding all these subscription on to p the 30 USD DLC it will come out to about the same minimum as 2 60 USD games to get the full experience

lets put it this way read attached pic

Home is free to download. Whether it is completely free to use all of its features, we don't know yet.

And this expansion pass has less new content than what a third version would offer, as far as I can see. So it should absolutely cost less.

Game Freak are free to change my mind if they can, but I doubt they will.

they already confirmed in the direct it will cost money to use we just don't know how much

-----------------------------------------------
My point and view is this is very very shady business practices almost Activision and EA level shadiness with regards to microtransaction and DLC considering its going to cost almost 120 USD minimum to get the full experience in which case i rather get a black 2 or Ultra moon or an emerald over a dlc if the DLC is going to 30 the online 20, home at minimum 5 a year and the base game 60. as i'm almost positive there is some way they could do most of that for cheaper

its because of that i'm very concerned on how they are taking the direction of franchise moving forward which seems to me very EA and Activision like.

but then again i only usually buy the remakes, sequels or 3rd versions normally for the most part. so what do i know.

Attachments

• 82577122_1392744987565852_2237359287527538688_n.jpg
    82577122_1392744987565852_2237359287527538688_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
They literally created entirely new Pokémon and lore lol. There are 2 brand new Regis and regional variants have always been given new lore.

They literally created entirely new Pokémon and lore lol. There are 2 brand new Regis and regional variants have always been given new lore.
There's no reasoning with the guy, he basically believes in the Pokémon equivalent of conspiracy theories...

You know, I find it funny that the people who aren't going to buy it are the ones that complain the most. They're just going to complain about games they haven't played, which is one of my super pet peeves about this fandom and others. If you're not going to buy it just go play a game you like or watch a movie or read a book. Leave the complaining to people who actually played the game.

This isn't even a "don't like, don't play" comment because you're already doing that.

You know, I find it funny that the people who aren't going to buy it are the ones that complain the most.
Well... yeah. If somebody has a lot of reasons they dislike something, they're not gonna buy it. That's pretty obvious.
If you're not going to buy it just go play a game you like or watch a movie or read a book. Leave the complaining to people who actually played the game.
Nobody here has played the game yet. By this logic, nobody should be allowed to share their opinion on the DLC at all. If we're allowed to share positive opinions about the DLC without having played it yet, others should be allowed to share negative opinions without having played it yet. There's still information out that we can form opinions on.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom