• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

NO and YES

and these games as 60 USD pokemon game are a farce to a certain extent when you consider there are companies selling full games on cart for the switch at 30 to 50 USD meaning The pokemon company (this includes nintendo by the way) knows full well they could sell them cheaper if they want they just choose not to it the same with adding all these subscription on to p the 30 USD DLC it will come out to about the same minimum as 2 60 USD games to get the full experience

lets put it this way read attached pic
You can say that as many times as you want, but since when does every country in the world use the dollar?

In Europe, the 3DS games would cost around 45 euros at release, making SuMo + USUM cost 90 euros for one first edition and one enhanced version. Or if you're the kind of person who buys both editions, a 180 euros. Similarly, SwSh was 60 euros a piece, much like Nintendo's other big names, and the Expansion Pack will be 30 euros, again 90 in total, the same as if you'd had bought a sequel instead. Funny how prices differ between countries and regions huh.

That said, the UK does see an increase of price by ten pounds, from 40 for SuMO and USUM a piece, to 60 for SwSh and 30 for the Expansion Pass. And for Japan the only reliable sales price I could find was ¥4,980, though probably SuMo wasn't priced much different. SwSh sells for ¥6578 and the total package of Sword plus Expansion pass comes to ¥9558, according to the Japanese website. So it seems like in Japan SwSh+Expansion Pass is slightly cheaper even than Sumo+USUM. So no, GF isn't 'stealing' money left and right.

Could they sell them cheaper? Absolutely. Technically, they could give them away for free, though that's not a particularly sound business advice.

But alas, Pokemon is the biggest global multi-media franchise, and included in this 60 dollar/euro/pound price is the brand. People want their pokeymanz and are willing to pay. Same for all the other first party games by Nintendo. So sure, you can call that corporate greed, I'm not gonna fight you on that. There are cheaper games, sure, but those usually aren't first party games, or smaller franchises. All those indie game Switch ports are definitely cheaper than a main line Pokemon game, but is that really a surprise?

As for NSO... I don't like it very much, so you won't find me defending it. But it's a Nintendo policy, as I mentioned before, so that's not something where GF can go 'but we want all our online features to be free!'. Cause if they do it for Pokemon, they'll have to do it for other games too. And then they'll have to cancel NSO. Which they clearly don't want, cause money.

And including NSO in the price of Pokemon isn't fair I think, as it gives online access for any game with such features. And if you only bought a Switch for the Pokemon games? Well, buying any device for a single game is usually risky, cause there's always the chance of disappointment and the feeling of money wasted. That's not Pokemon specific either.

As for the content itself, we don't know what we're getting exactly yet. We might not now till release. But what third version have usually offered is:
  • Move Tutors (redundant with TRs)
  • More old Pokemon available (present in DLC)
  • New areas to explore (present in DLC)
  • New characters (present in DLC)
  • New forms/mons/variants (more than BW2 or USUM did already in DLC)
  • A new story (two in the DLC even)
  • New moves (how many unclear, but the DLC does offer them)
  • A new battle facility (present in the DLC)
  • QoL features for a smoother gameplay (unconfirmed)
So far, I so no reason to claim the Expansion Pack is offering significantly less, unless I skipped a lot that could be found in the third versions. But when I think of Emerald, Platinum, BW2 or USUM, these are the features that come to mind, and all of these have been confirmed for the Expansion Pack, except QoL improvements, but those are usually not the most interesting so we might not hear about those till release. Whether it will be worth it I guess you'll have to judge for yourself.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna pull an Ash an send my entire main game team to the box sans my Drizzile before I enter the Isle of Armor and send my Isle of Armor team to the box before I enter Crown Tundra.
I also intend to do that. Of course, I am going to beat the champion first, in case becoming champion is needed to be able to go to the islands.

Last edited:
I think I'll also be composing a new Team in the Isle of Armor and then in the Crown Tundra. I've already built a couple of teams for different characters that I have made (just to have some more variety when I'm doing postgame shenanigans/character building), and it's opened me up to exploring the idea of switching around members of my team. I'll probably just bring my Boltund to both, and build two different teams around her.

I'll either take my Drizzile, Thievul, Sylveon, or maybe Roserade with me. I'm particularly attached to my Thievul. Thing got me through a heck of a lot of battles (haha, who's laughing now Bede! Well, actually, you after switching to fairy. Ouch.)

That biggest challenge part at the end of both expansions and main game. Could it be this has something to do with something like a PWT?

will Unseen Fist work like Long reach or be something like Infiltrator?
or maybe break through Protects and Max Guards?
or it could work like G-max Melmetals move and block oponents last attack for 2 turns or something in that direction?
if it gets two moves one be maybe a hard hitting one and one a new multistrike move?

Wait a tick.

You don't need Nintendo Online to connect locally. All you need is an irl friend who has time, a switch, the game, and the dlc so you can get together with them and trade for your fav pokemon.
Nintendo has no official existence in my country so I'll have to take a flight at a minimum (even if it’s to another city and not a country) to even stand a chance at finding someone with a Switch, and I’m pretty sure many people do live in countries where Switch consoles are sparse. Or no one in their friend circle is interested enough in Pokemon to drop $390 on it.

You know, I find it funny that the people who aren't going to buy it are the ones that complain the most. They're just going to complain about games they haven't played, which is one of my super pet peeves about this fandom and others. If you're not going to buy it just go play a game you like or watch a movie or read a book. Leave the complaining to people who actually played the game.
"Voting with wallets" is a concept, and the largest taunt among Dexit defenders to those who dared to complain about it was "You'll buy it anyway".

I’m sorry, but I’m not going to drop all my disposable income on something without it having enough content to justify it. I’ve seen playthroughs, experienced all the PR, read experiences, and watched the playthroughs a second time. No, thanks. I don’t want to buy a game which won’t give me enjoyment ofthe worth I spend on it only to be told "You bought it like everyone else" when I dare to complain. Yes, that’s happening to people on other communities.

So I hope you understand why people are not throwing a decent sum of money at a multinational corporation if all advertisements and features have failed to impress.

And, I'd have no issue playing and complaining if GameFreak were handing out the games for free. We're the (perspective) consumers and have a right to voice our opinions on whether a product has enticed us to buy it or not. People are not obligated to buy Pokemon.

"Shut up if you don’t like it." Isn’t a good mindset to spread.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna pull an Ash an send my entire main game team to the box sans my Drizzile before I enter the Isle of Armor and send my Isle of Armor team to the box before I enter Crown Tundra.
Definitely doing this. I’m gonna do it with some mons I boxed early in the game along with some Pokémon imported from him that I never got a chance to truly level up like my Umbreon from crystal.

But do we know for sure if this Dojo is a proper Battle Facility? Not just some building with plot purposes?

Because I remember the Sushi High Roller in Malie City. A "facility" where no battles take place. You only talk to NPCs and get some Heart Scales. I don't want to fall for that trap a second time...

Last edited:
There’s even a dojo here that specializes in some very particular training styles! You and your Pokémon will take up an apprenticeship under the master of this dojo and train hard to become even stronger.

The Isle of Armor will also introduce a way to challenge yourself to some new battles! With Restricted Sparring, you’ll be limited in what types of Pokémon you can use and forced to battle under set conditions! Give it a try, and give some of your Pokémon that are normally overlooked a chance to shine!
It sounds like one of those small facilities, except it has a story of some sort. I think that the best way to make players use different kinds of Pokemon is the Battle Factory, but that's just me.

If we get Regigigas in the game how will Crush Grip work on Dynamax pokemon?
do you think other regis will get Crush Grip? taking their bodie shapes?

Crush Grip's power is now calculated as:

Power = 120 × (Target's Current HP / Target's Maximum HP)
However, its power cannot be less than 1. Consequently, its power now varies between 1 and 120.

Nintendo has no official existence in my country so I'll have to take a flight at a minimum (even if it’s to another city and not a country) to even stand a chance at finding someone with a Switch, and I’m pretty sure many people do live in countries where Switch consoles are sparse. Or no one in their friend circle is interested enough in Pokemon to drop $390 on it.
I mean, this doesn't make me wrong.

It sounds like one of those small facilities, except it has a story of some sort. I think that the best way to make players use different kinds of Pokemon is the Battle Factory, but that's just me.
Oh thank you.

This sounds like something small at best. Certainly it is not something comparable to the Battle Frontiers found in Emerald, HGSS and Platinum. Or BW2's PWT.

But we will wait and see.

If we get Regigigas in the game how will Crush Grip work on Dynamax pokemon?
do you think other regis will get Crush Grip? taking their bodie shapes?

Crush Grip's power is now calculated as:

Power = 120 × (Target's Current HP / Target's Maximum HP)
However, its power cannot be less than 1. Consequently, its power now varies between 1 and 120.
The maximum HP should be the boosted one, so Regigigas is unlikely to be a counter to Dynamax. The move doesn't seem to fit the new Regis, either.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom