• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Yeah, I do hope they stop it with the burst mechanics in general. Maybe even convert some of the forms into those that require held items to change in the overworld.

Yeah, I do hope they stop it with the burst mechanics in general. Maybe even convert some of the forms into those that require held items to change in the overworld.
I mean, burst mechanics are kinda exciting to look at for me. If pokemon remained just mainly battling and not much else...honestly I'd just grow bored with the series over time

I mean, burst mechanics are kinda exciting to look at for me. If pokemon remained just mainly battling and not much else...honestly I'd just grow bored with the series over time
Most powerful attacks seem pretty burst-y to me. Hyper Beam, Fire Blast, Earthquake... The battling is already burst-y without even more power-mechanics.

Maybe it's different in competitive multiplayer, but the single player feels like it's gotten more and more offensively focused over time:
*The EV system; stat exp meant a fully trained Pokémon would have both offensive and defensive stats maxed, but the EV system put a cap on it; it's still possible for a Pokémon to have it's offensive stat maxed, but there are not enough EVs to max out HP and both defenses.
*Pokémon with ever higher offensive stats and offense boosting abilities have been introduced (Mewtwo in gen I had insane damage output but he was fully busted).
*More and more hold items that boost your offensive power.
*And now each gen having a new "burst" mechanic.

I think Megas/Z-Moves/Dynamax have (generally) been healthy for the series and added an entire extra dimension to the battling scene. I said that in 2013 and I still stand by it now. I don't think those sorts of mechanics are going anywhere, because for as much as people write them off as "gimmicks," the strategic niche that they occupy is pretty ingrained in how battling works now. I don't think Game Freak want to abandon that; they'd rather just remix and refine the core concept every few years.

That said, while I neither expect nor want those mechanics to be removed, I do think that GF should continue to explore other avenues for deepening battle complexity in addition to them. Don't just settle with conditional power-ups and call it a day. Terrains strike me as a recent example of something they've come up with to add another layer into battles, although in terms of function those are kinda just weather with a different name. Maybe in addition to Abilities, each Pokémon could have certain special skills to make them all a little more individual and could give a boost to some of the weaker Pokémon, or perhaps some kind of special effect that can be willfully activated during the battle as opposed to just running automatically like Abilities.

What are the odds of having some news next week? Continueing the monthly cycle Sword/Shield did, roughly?

What are the odds of having some news next week? Continueing the monthly cycle Sword/Shield did, roughly?

Its certainly possible its probably a good guess that this new mythical pokemon that will be revealed may tie into the dlc.

If not another trailer on pokemon day isnt out of the question

ehhhh... i think we might have news regarding the new mythical, but i wouldn't get my hopes up about any expansion pass news until closer to the actual release date. my thinking is that we won't have new information until maybe april/mayish, when the first expansion is right around the corner, just to keep that hype/interest up.

ehhhh... i think we might have news regarding the new mythical, but i wouldn't get my hopes up about any expansion pass news until closer to the actual release date. my thinking is that we won't have new information until maybe april/mayish, when the first expansion is right around the corner, just to keep that hype/interest up.
Wouldn't that be too close to release? The last month of Sword/Shield's newscycle was one of the more uneventful ones; not even new Pokémon were revealed, if I remember correctly. I guess there's enough to show, like with remakes/sequels/third versions. Which usually also have more than one month of pre-release coverage. February might indeed be too early if they won't adhere to one piece of info a month, but starting in april/may is just too late, in my opinion.

Wouldn't that be too close to release? The last month of Sword/Shield's newscycle was one of the more uneventful ones; not even new Pokémon were revealed, if I remember correctly. I guess there's enough to show, like with remakes/sequels/third versions. Which usually also have more than one month of pre-release coverage. February might indeed be too early if they won't adhere to one piece of info a month, but starting in april/may is just too late, in my opinion.

consider this for a moment:

the announcement of the expansion pass on its own is sort of a genius marketing tactic in and of itself. it gets more people on the swsh hype train to either complete their pokedex or finish the game or do as much possible in swsh as they can in preparation for the expansion pass. this might be just me, but i'm not sure revealing information this month is all that practical of a move, because then you'd have march --> may in which there'd be sort of a drought of information, and there's the risk that hype might wane due to not hearing anything beyond this month (assuming more information comes out this month, anyway).

the smarter move would be to take advantage of that high when it starts to plateau. i'd say around march or april or so. a good deal of time after the excitement has passed but not so long as to cause a drought. keep in mind we were provided a lot of information about the DLC already -- our two new version exclusive "rivals" so to speak, an additional new character, new legendary pokemon, as well as a decent enough view of two new explorable wild areas. that's a lot to show off, which means TPC is going to have to space that information out wisely if they want to keep up the hype and keep people interested.

so i agree with you that may perhaps might be a tad bit late, but i'm personally not discounting march or april for isle of armor news. for the crown tundra, depending on when in the fall it releases, it might be smarter to release information about it around august/september, again, to keep the hype/interest going.

consider this for a moment:

the announcement of the expansion pass on its own is sort of a genius marketing tactic in and of itself. it gets more people on the swsh hype train to either complete their pokedex or finish the game or do as much possible in swsh as they can in preparation for the expansion pass. this might be just me, but i'm not sure revealing information this month is all that practical of a move, because then you'd have march --> may in which there'd be sort of a drought of information, and there's the risk that hype might wane due to not hearing anything beyond this month (assuming more information comes out this month, anyway).

the smarter move would be to take advantage of that high when it starts to plateau. i'd say around march or april or so. a good deal of time after the excitement has passed but not so long as to cause a drought. keep in mind we were provided a lot of information about the DLC already -- our two new version exclusive "rivals" so to speak, an additional new character, new legendary pokemon, as well as a decent enough view of two new explorable wild areas. that's a lot to show off, which means TPC is going to have to space that information out wisely if they want to keep up the hype and keep people interested.

so i agree with you that may perhaps might be a tad bit late, but i'm personally not discounting march or april for isle of armor news. for the crown tundra, depending on when in the fall it releases, it might be smarter to release information about it around august/september, again, to keep the hype/interest going.
I can get around that.

Unbelievably excited for this... I've wanted dlc since the XY days.

I think it all looks absolutely beautiful and I love that the free camera is coming along for the entire ride this time. Hopefully moving forward with future games the free camera is a staple at every moment.

The one thing I hated about SwSh is that going from the Wild Area back to a city and I find myself trying desperately to rotate the camera out of habit, I hate feeling restricted and it just reminds me of the corridor elements of some of the 3DS games.

The new Regis and Galarian/new bird trio forms are gorgeous. Calyrex is cool too. I am unbelievably excited for this and I hope they continue with dlc in future with new releases!

I highly doubt that X and Y would be remade any time soon.
Who says about a remake i just said megas would be back

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Megas came back around eventually (they can always disable them for any official competitions, and I don't think they really care about game balance outside of those circumstances), but where was it confirmed that items can be stored in Home?

You could see a held item menu there

After reading of what happened in today's episode, I've been thinking that the symbol we've seen after showcasing The Crown Tundra in the Pokemon Direct for the Expansion Pass. You know where there are two figures instead of one for a Pokemon League. Could it be for the ''Pokemon World Championship?'' This will be interesting to see, and would make sense. Having all the past Champions competing to become the World Champion. Defeating Leon and becoming Champion of Galar was only the beginning.

Also, has anyone seen one of Masuda's recent Tweet with the Psyducks interfering with hardware? And the Sinnoh starters achievement and the Sinnoh Pokemon showcased for Pokemon Home? These could be hints that 2021 could be the release of the Gen 4 Remake for sure. Marking not only it's 15th Anniversary, but also Pokemon's 25th Anniversary as well. I'm saying this because they could make hints to Sinnoh within The Crown Tundra, might even have Cynthia living in that part of the Galar Region.

Most powerful attacks seem pretty burst-y to me. Hyper Beam, Fire Blast, Earthquake... The battling is already burst-y without even more power-mechanics.

Taking in the past they created very powerfull walls and stall teams it's some kind of reasonable they tried to make something different.

I hope we get multistrike, sound, increased priority, decreased prioirty, draining, switching moves of types that we didnt get before in the past.

also there is a possibility of creating abilities that could handle very powerfull moves in a other way we alredy know. We got Ice face, Disquise, Sturdy, maybe we could get a Hydra(grass/dragon or dragon/poison physical) ability or Matrioshka(rock/ghost???) ability that would make pokemon have lets say 5 hp and each time when hit looses 1 hp like via substitutes and change form with each hit... multistrike moves would come here into play more.
weak to entry hazards like spikes , stealthrock and weather damage , but very powerfull burst moves would have problems. The same with powerfull stall walls that could get poisoned and weakened turn by turn.

a ability that would cause all oponents physical moves to become recoil damage moves and cause oponent 25% or 33% damage?

Invisibility ability that forces oponents to use weather damage, hittng all targets moves, status moves to take way it's invisibility(the ones used against ghost immunity) or waiting for oponets physical attack to hit it? one with invisibility could use status moves without getting hit.

In my opinion instead to overpowering pokemon with stronger moves and stats they could invest into playing with effects and abilities more. For future games, like they did with Berries, imagine a poison type ability and move that makes them rotten and when consumed they deal damage and induce poison or other status coditions.

Buffing and additions to old abilities and moves like Spider Web, Magma Armor and others would be more cool.

Last edited:
After reading of what happened in today's episode, I've been thinking that the symbol we've seen after showcasing The Crown Tundra in the Pokemon Direct for the Expansion Pass. You know where there are two figures instead of one for a Pokemon League. Could it be for the ''Pokemon World Championship?'' This will be interesting to see, and would make sense. Having all the past Champions competing to become the World Champion. Defeating Leon and becoming Champion of Galar was only the beginning.
If it's just the champions rather than at least the gym leaders, then meh. Anyway, I have no idea what symbol you're talking about.

Also, has anyone seen one of Masuda's recent Tweet with the Psyducks interfering with hardware? And the Sinnoh starters achievement and the Sinnoh Pokemon showcased for Pokemon Home? These could be hints that 2021 could be the release of the Gen 4 Remake for sure. Marking not only it's 15th Anniversary, but also Pokemon's 25th Anniversary as well. I'm saying this because they could make hints to Sinnoh within The Crown Tundra, might even have Cynthia living in that part of the Galar Region.
Psyduck is Masuda's favorite and is also a Kanto Pokemon last I checked. Home's pre-release coverage showed many starters other than just the Sinnoh ones; cherry picking is never a good idea. Finally, your personal wishes for the DLC aren't hints.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom