• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

After her Spanish dialogue gave me a mix between "mad scientist" and "I could care less" vibes, I also don't want that.
Her name literally comes from careless. That is the point of her. She's also out in the open on a route and not in a laboratory so that helps the vibe you're supposed to get from her.

We just got more information in the Direct Mini, including the starter's G-Max moves. Rillaboom's is called G-Max Drum Solo, Cinderace's is called G-Max Fireball, and Inteleon's is called G-Max Hydrosnipe. They all have the same effect, as they ignore the target's ability similar to the signature moves of the Alolan Box Legends. There will also be new card backgrounds and frames. Players who purchase the Expansion Pass before August 31st will get to wear Leon's cap and tights, obtainable through Mystery Gift. Finally, which form of Urshifu that Kubfu becomes is dependent on which tower you choose to challenge during your playthrough of the Isle of Armor.

Wish they showed a little more, but I like what I saw. Seeing Kubfu and its evolutions in game made me like them a lot more, Kubfu especially. I didn't care about the little thing much before, but that little scene with him when you meet him was adorable.

The Isle of Armor does look pretty so far. I just wanna see more of it and see what else you can do there. I know the trailer said you could only pick one tower, but it would be nice if you could go to the other one after you were done and had evolved Kubfu in the first one. It would be kinda sad if the other tower was just locked forever.

Also, I already see a dress I want.

I was already hyped for new outfits, but new league card stuff as well?! This just keeps getting better. I cannot wait to see all the new customization that is offered. The starters' G-Max moves look....basically as I expected them to look. When they were talking about Cinderace's I literally said, "so is he gonna kick the giant fireball?", and of course he did.

The Kubfu story stuff is cute and all, but I really hope I'm not forced to have it in my party at all times. It's fine for the story stuff where it's the only Pokemon I use, but aside from that I don't want to be forced to keep it around. I already have a team that I'd prefer to go through this new adventure with. I'm kind of bummed that they told us how to get each Urshifu form. I wish that would have been left for us to discover in game.

I was already hyped for new outfits, but new league card stuff as well?! This just keeps getting better. I cannot wait to see all the new customization that is offered. The starters' G-Max moves look....basically as I expected them to look. When they were talking about Cinderace's I literally said, "so is he gonna kick the giant fireball?", and of course he did.

The Kubfu story stuff is cute and all, but I really hope I'm not forced to have it in my party at all times. It's fine for the story stuff where it's the only Pokemon I use, but aside from that I don't want to be forced to keep it around. I already have a team that I'd prefer to go through this new adventure with. I'm kind of bummed that they told us how to get each Urshifu form. I wish that would have been left for us to discover in game.
I don't know if they would ever force people to have a certain Pokemon in their parties.

I'm not really keen on the idea that you have to do the tower with just Kubfu, considering I'm not that big a fan of the Pokemon to begin with.

Granted I figured since this Pokemon was going to evolve during the story it would have had to be on my team (at least temporarily)....but it's pretty lame that it seems like I can't use whatever Pokemon I want on what appears to be the major "challenge/gym" of this expansion.

I like how the Gmax moves, despite having the same effect, benefit the starters in their own way. When Rillaboom get's Grassy Surge, Drum Solo will do even more damage, that can't be stopped. Inteleon's is more or less an upgrade to Snipe Shot, except now it ignores all abilities in general. And Cinderace was already crazy strong as regular Dynamax, But now it's stab fire move just got even more deadly.

I like how the Gmax moves, despite having the same effect, benefit the starters in their own way. When Rillaboom get's Grassy Surge, Drum Solo will do even more damage, that can't be stopped. Inteleon's is more or less an upgrade to Snipe Shot, except now it ignores all abilities in general. And Cinderace was already crazy strong as regular Dynamax, But now it's stab fire move just got even more deadly.
depends on how much more powerful they are than regular dynamax moves. max flare right now does 140 when used with pyro ball. And the only real benefit I see is ignoring flash fire fire, sap sipper and storm drain (and water absorb)

I'm glad the trailers and website indicate that your starters can receive the ability to Gigantimax, rather than having to catch one who can do it. But new questions arise from that-how many times would we be able to receive it? What if I want my Galarian Starter with its HA to be able to G-Max as well?

Last edited:
They all have the same effect, as they ignore the target's ability similar to the signature moves of the Alolan Box Legends
BORRRING

Why is "ignores abilities while attacking" Game Freak's favorite effect these days? It's the abilities of the Gen 5 legendaries, the sig moves of the Gen 7 legendaries, and now they use it again for Gen 8 starters? It's like Pressure 2.0. Give me the thematics that I crave!

When Rillaboom get's Grassy Surge, Drum Solo will do even more damage, that can't be stopped.
It's not like any abilities would really stop Drum Solo in the first place. The only abilities that would affect it are:
  • Battle Armor/Shell Armor (blocks critical hits, but the move would still do normal damage in the first place)
  • Marvel Scale (and with Milotic the only Pokemon in SwSh that has it, there's already the Grass weakness)
  • Solid Rock (only on Rhyperior, who would have a double weakness)
  • Sturdy (only on the Onix line, the Bonsly line, Shuckle, the Roggenrola line, Sawk, the Dwebble line, Togedemaru, and the Bergmite line)
  • Wonder Guard (only on Shedinja)
  • Sap Sipper (only on Drampa and the Goomy line, so even if you bypass that ability, they still resist you)
  • Fur Coat (only on A-Persian)
  • Disguise (only on Mimikyu)
  • Ice Face (only on Eiscue)

Sand Veil, Snow Cloak, and Tangled Feet would be added to the list, but Max Moves already never miss, so they have no effect in the first place.

So, if you're really bothered by a few specific Pokemon, or if you want to one-shot Sturdy users, or your strategy depends on being able to get a critical hit, then your prayers have been answered, but this doesn't seem really worth trading in favor of getting Grassy Terrain set up.
Inteleon's is more or less an upgrade to Snipe Shot, except now it ignores all abilities in general.
And the abilities that would actually affect it are:
  • Battle Armor/Shell Armor (blocks critical hits, but the move would still do normal damage in the first place)
  • Solid Rock (only on Rhyperior, who would have a double weakness)
  • Flower Gift (only on Cherrim, and why would you use a Water move against a Grass type?)
  • Ice Scales (only on the Snom line)
  • Storm Drain (only on the Shellos line and Maractus)
  • Sturdy (only on the Onix line, the Bonsly line, Shuckle, the Roggenrola line, Sawk, the Dwebble line, Togedemaru, and the Bergmite line)
  • Water Absorb (on Arctovish, Dracovish, Araquanid, Frillish Line, Palpitoad line, Mantyke line, Wooper line, Chinchou line, Vaporeon, and Lapras. They almost all resist Water.)
  • Dry Skin (on the Helioptile line, and the Croagunk line)
  • Wonder Guard (only on Shedinja)
If you're up against Frosmoth, Mimikyu, Shedinja, Heliolist, Toxicroak, or Eiscue, if you want the chance of a critical hit, or if you're just itching to hit a Water or Grass type with a Water type move, it's your lucky day. (Although Snipe Shot's original effect still seemed pretty terrible to me to begin with)
And Cinderace was already crazy strong as regular Dynamax, But now it's stab fire move just got even more deadly.
Deadly against:
  • Fur Coat (only on A-Persian)
  • Water Bubble (only on Araquanid)
  • Sturdy (On the Onix line, the Bonsly line, Shuckle, the Roggenrola line, Sawk, the Dwebble line, Togedemaru, and the Bergmite line)
  • Marvel Scale (only on Milotic, who would still resist it, and it requires Milotic to be affected by a status condition)
  • Heatproof (on Bronzong and Rolycoly. Not the Rolycoly line, just Rolycoly.)
  • Flash Fire (There's several candidates that use this- the Growlithe line, the Rolycoly line, the Vulpix line, the Ponyta line, Flareon, the Litwick line, Heatmore, the Rolycoly line, and the Sizzlipede line. The trouble is that, with the sole exception of the Sizzilipede line, every single one of these Pokemon already resists Fire)
  • Bulletproof (only on the Jangmo-o line, who will still resist the move, Wooloo line, and Applin. Not the Applin line, just Applin)
  • Thick Fat (only on the Swinub line, the Munchlax line, and Appletun)
There's a little more use for Cinderace- Thick Fat is Snorlax's best ability, so cutting through that could be useful against a GMax Snorlax's high HP.

That's the problem with the "ignores abilities" effect- it's so totally dependent on how abilities are distributed in the game. In theory, being able to bypass an ability that would block your move sounds great, but when the reality is that every Pokemon with that ability would resist your move anyways, it's a pretty pointless addition. (And it's a problem furthered by the dex cut- there's some cases that might actually have be good for this, like an Azumarill with Sap Sipper, or a Chesnaught with Bulletproof, but that can't happen now, and with the future of removing mechanics and Pokemon, we might never get a game where a GMax Rillaboom could fight an Azumarill) And it was bad enough when it was dependent on a Pokemon's movepool- doesn't really matter if Reshiram can bypass Magma Armor if it can't freeze Pokemon in the first place- but when it's done with a move, now you're looking at the very specific pool of abilities that only affect one type and one move category, narrowing it even further.

The map of the Isle of Armor has been revealed.
90594302_3867835709895081_8189821730831728640_n.jpg

It looks very small, I was hoping for at least one or two cities. At least the areas look decent and it seems we could get a couple of caves. Also, I hope the Pokémon distribution in that gigantic sea is very diversified, I don't want those Wingull/Tentacool nightmares to come back. I'd also like for the tower you didn't choose to be visitable later, even if it has the same contents.

Going through the plot with one Pokémon sounds cool, I'd definitely take the Water Tower.
I'm glad the trailers and website indicate that your starters can receive the ability to Gigantamax, rather than having to catch one who can do it. But new questions arise from that-how many times would we be able to receive it? What if I want my Galarian Starter with its HA to be able to G-Max as well?
I assume it also works with traded and bred starters (similar to how Frenzy Plant & the others work), as otherwise it would be impossible for most players to complete the collection without receiving two people's first partner. Of course, they could make the upgrade itself only available to your starter and make the trio available in raids, but it sounds too limited for what's supposed to be bonus paid content.

It makes sense why Isle of Armor would be shorter since that's released in the middle of the year. Seeing how the real-life location it's based on is also a small island, it makes sense why it's small compared to what the Crown Tundra is going to be. What I'm really surprised about is that specific tree related to the Legendary Birds appearing in this map.

It makes sense why Isle of Armor would be shorter since that's released in the middle of the year. Seeing how the real-life location it's based on is also a small island, it makes sense why it's small compared to what the Crown Tundra is going to be. What I'm really surprised about is that specific tree related to the Legendary Birds appearing in this map.
What I think is even better, is the fact that the original direct implied that there are 2 trees, 1 in the isle of armour and the other in the crown tundra,wich is weird. So what is the point of the isle of armour tree?
Edit

Screenshot_20200326-234809_YouTube.jpg

the isle of armor tree that lives on a snowflake mini-island
Screenshot_20200326-235024_YouTube.jpg

The crown tundra one that you find where you least expect

Last edited:
Yeah imho the feature of "Ignore the target's ability" is not just not that interesting, it's actively harmful to the strategic layer for the game. It reduces the overall complexity of the game, rather than adding to it. Especially when on fast and strong pokemon like Inteleon and Cinderace already are (sorry Rillaboom). It makes it so stuff just works, and you don't have to think or worry about what your opponent is doing. Not only am I not impressed, I'm actively saddened by this direction. Happy we can catch starters, but I'd rather virtually any other effect than this one. Just my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom