• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Yeah imho the feature of "Ignore the target's ability" is not just not that interesting, it's actively harmful to the strategic layer for the game. It reduces the overall complexity of the game, rather than adding to it. Especially when on fast and strong pokemon like Inteleon and Cinderace already are (sorry Rillaboom). It makes it so stuff just works, and you don't have to think or worry about what your opponent is doing. Not only am I not impressed, I'm actively saddened by this direction. Happy we can catch starters, but I'd rather virtually any other effect than this one. Just my opinion.
Have you...not played any online matches? It's mostly just cheap strategies to get easy wins, no "complexity" about it, and even more so why would you want more complexity in this game?

I'n not surprised the island is small, I just hope there's a good amount to do in the Dojo (we know about new move tutors but other training facilities related to the "Growth" theme would be good) and some nice Pokémon distribution.

Have you...not played any online matches? It's mostly just cheap strategies to get easy wins, no "complexity" about it, and even more so why would you want more complexity in this game?
I have, yes. It's not about what others are doing, it's about how interesting I can make it for myself, without having teams that are no longer viable. I love what Mimikyu brings to the table, as an example. Having more diverse options which are interesting but still competitive (even if not "top tier") is better for the game, in my opinion. The complexity, after all, is what I enjoy most about the game. I want more of it because I like it.

What I think is even better, is the fact that the original direct implied that there are 2 trees, 1 in the isle of armour and the other in the crown tundra,wich is weird. So what is the point of the isle of armour tree?
Edit

View attachment 131891
the isle of armor tree that lives on a snowflake mini-island
View attachment 131892
The crown tundra one that you find where you least expect
Could the Isle of Armor tree be related to the Legendary Beasts? After all, the Isle of Armor does give off some Johto vibes with its eastern theming with the locations shown so far.

I’m surprised the three starter g-max moves only ignore abilities. I figured they’d each have a more unique effect that was reflective of the Pokémon and more powerful rather than the move equivalent of Mold Breaker. I wonder if Dynamax Inteleon and Cinderace will be more popular than their G-max forms considering setting up weather seems to be more useful.

If competitive is easy, wouldn’t an added layer of complexity be good for the meta then?

I’m surprised the three starter g-max moves only ignore abilities. I figured they’d each have a more unique effect that was reflective of the Pokémon and more powerful rather than the move equivalent of Mold Breaker. I wonder if Dynamax Inteleon and Cinderace will be more popular than their G-max forms considering setting up weather seems to be more useful.

If competitive is easy, wouldn’t an added layer of complexity be good for the meta then?
Not really. I already complained how people use cheap strategies all the time. More complexity does not help

If they would allow that if a pokemon has 2 moves of the same type and one is only G-max move and other would be a D-max move we could cast also weather with them...
I'm not suprised taking the nature of some unique abilities and their types.

Maybe in future they will give a addition to their signature moves and modify those a little.

Galarian Ditto that would be ghost type and transform into the oponents last fainted pokemon or could transform into any pokemon that fainted on the field during the whole battle with posibility of ataccking or changing form every turn would be something.... Spirit Transform

the map does look small, I just hope there will be lots to do, dp you think there will be a wild area and max raid battles to do

the map does look small, I just hope there will be lots to do, dp you think there will be a wild area and max raid battles to do
I think that will be more the Crown Tundra's thing. I think that the Isle of Armor will focus more on battles and the Crown Tundra will focus more on exploration.

I'm hoping that the Crown Tundra will reveal the currently unexplored lore about existing legendary Pokemon, maybe Calyrex could be the key to learning a lot more about them seeing how it sees what happened in the past and what's going to happen in the future.

Finally got around to watching the new trailer (I moved yesterday). Gosh that trailer has me kinda hype. Like, I would have loved to see some of the returning Pokemon or even new forms, but it was nice to see more of the GMax starters in battle. Seeing Kubfu in game actually helps me like it a lot more, and I'm looking forward to using one. The customization looks awesome, especially that pinkish-red dress. Definitely picking that up when I can.

I think the best part was just seeing the new environments. I'll admit that Galar was starting to feel a bit small and traveled, and I haven't had the urge to explore the Wild Area in weeks (also because Animal Crossing has consumed my life). So having these new places to explore will help the games feel nice and refreshing.

I'm hoping that the Crown Tundra will reveal the currently unexplored lore about existing legendary Pokemon, maybe Calyrex could be the key to learning a lot more about them seeing how it sees what happened in the past and what's going to happen in the future.
That's what I am thinking too, considering that I think that the Crown Tundra will focus more on exploration.

Rillaboom get's Grassy Surge, Drum Solo will do even more damage, that can't be stopped.
Isn’t that true for... literally any other grass type move? In fact it can be argued that Max Overgrowth is more helpful since it makes sure Grassy Terrain remains. There are not many abilities that need to be ignored.

And Cinderace was already crazy strong as regular Dynamax, But now it's stab fire move just got even more deadly.
Again, the power's probably in the range of other G-Max moves. In fact, Dynamax Cinderace remains more viable due to setting up Sun, which this cannot do, and the effect isn’t good enough. The only ability that might hinder it is Flash Fire, and your Cinderace would be hitting resistant hits to it anyway with fire moves.

It makes sense why Isle of Armor would be shorter since that's released in the middle of the year.
People are paying the same for both DLCs though. If there’s purposefully less content on one of the packs, it should be cheaper.
ÉDIT: I was mistaken that the DLCs can be purchased separately when they cannot be, please ignore this point.

We have played online, and people play using legit tactics which are often creative. Probably the most cheap thing I’ve seen is Dynamaxing on first turn and taking out 3 of the opponent's Pokémon.
——-

The effects are meh at best and I think the Dynamax versions would be more viable.

Last edited:
People are paying the same for both DLCs though. If there’s purposefully less content on one of the packs, it should be cheaper.

They are packaged together as one, how do you know the cost split is 50/50 and not 70/30?

Isn’t that true for... literally any other grass type move? In fact it can be argued that Max Overgrowth is more helpful since it makes sure Grassy Terrain remains. There are not many abilities that need to be ignored.

Sap Sipper users are a joke for You?

If only Grass Pelt would grant immunty to grass moves too... and rise speed too...

Chlorophyl should activate solar beam, solar blade...

Weird that grass abilities dont protect grass types more from grass moves and grant resistance or status rise when hit by them...

weird that grass and fire didnt get more abilities that grant immunity to their own type like water did.

Rillaboom doesn’t need to use Grass moves against a grass type. It would use coverage of fighting moves.
Any other effect would be more useful, even if the move reduces speed by one stage (like the base move), it would help Rillaboom outspeed and KO opponents later.

grass/ghost oponent?
Azumaril with sap sipper and partial fairy typing can handle both.
Giraffarig with sap sipper and normal/psychic can also take some.

This makes room for a ghost type with sap sipper in future.

at least it can break wonder guard as a G-move, maybe in future they make it a sound move? or additionaly let it hit users in semi turn of dig or hit targets similar like Dragon Darts in double battles.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom