• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

150 BP wasn’t the average G-Max Move, it was the most powerful G-Max move. A 1.5x boost is too much to predict if you don’t know what higher power means. And Sun lasts beyond Dynamax, so Cinderace remains boosted even after that, something which the Gigantamax cannot do

And you’re just proving my point that D-Max is more viable. It’s just a fact, with higher utility. It doesn’t need it, but it is helpful when it is set up. Sun gives no disadvantages (barring HIGHLY situational scenarios), and a series advantage to quite possibly the entire team.

This, when compared to a Mold breaker effect that doesn’t even work against everything, the choice is quite easy, and you’re ignoring we do have precedent that weather D-Max ends up being more viable than G-Max if the Gigantamax doesn’t have a highly useful side effect.

The Gigantamax has ignore abilities: a boost which isn’t useful 99% of the time, and a power boost Dynamax Cinderace can repeat (or even exceed) easily without what makes the fire Max move good.

———

I don’t know why is it so hard to admit that the new design doesn’t really stand up to the base mechanic when it comes to competitive.
Well I guess I can't help if you're gonna be shortsighted about the possibilities.

Well I guess I can't help if you're gonna be shortsighted about the possibilities.
So you’re resorting to name calling after my perfectly fine arguments on how one thing is better than another?

I hope you understand how that doesn’t help your position when someone answers each and every query raised by you and you proceed to insult the other person's perspective instead of telling what’s wrong with it.

If you're using a Grass type move against a Dragon type Pokemon (since they're the only Pokemon in SwSh with Sap Sipper), uh, yeah, that's a joke of a strategy.

Hope Rillaboom gets Outrage and Roar actually.
Don't worry there are fairies... Mimikyu can handle Rillaboom fine, Eisque too actually and Talonflame comes back into play... even if Rillaboom has Fake Out

How about some alternative effects for the starter Gmax moves:

G-max Drum Solo - raises the user’s Defense and Special Defense and makes them the center of attention during the next turn if in a double battle

G-max Fireball - guaranteed burn on all enemy Pokémon

G-max Hydrosnipe - boosts critical hit ratio of all ally Pokémon on the field

1. Should reduce all stats of oponent one stage

2. can be , but I would make it destroy even Max Guards and Protect without a problem

3. Would make it allow to hit anything anywhere , only phantom force and dig users would be safe

Regular base Cinderace has one advantage over its forms...
can use Bounce , avoid attacks and cause paralysis too...
If Cinderace gets in future dig it could self avoid a hit and hit hard rock types...
Regular Cinderace has Superfang...

Me worries if Expansions give us some new moves, abilities and strategies to handle D-max and G-max pokemon without using those forms too... good that Sturdy users come back into play here but would be cool to get many cut moves back and with buffs and additions too to shake up the battle scene again.

Last edited:
I thought the map looked small at first (since it looked to be similar to the Wild Area), but once they showed in-game action it seemed a little bit bigger than that. It will also help if there is some verticality (like if you can explore the caves, and the mountain above the caves for example), and if the sea area and smaller surrounding islands have different pokemon/interesting content. I guess we'll see in June once it comes out. I suppose they did say Isle of Armor is based around "growth" and Crown Tundra is based around "exploration", so I would expect Crown Tundra to be larger map wise.

I thought the map looked small at first (since it looked to be similar to the Wild Area), but once they showed in-game action it seemed a little bit bigger than that. It will also help if there is some verticality (like if you can explore the caves, and the mountain above the caves for example), and if the sea area and smaller surrounding islands have different pokemon/interesting content. I guess we'll see in June once it comes out. I suppose they did say Isle of Armor is based around "growth" and Crown Tundra is based around "exploration", so I would expect Crown Tundra to be larger map wise.
The original Wild Area was marketed as something to explore, as well. The exploration theme doesn't say anything about size, is my guess.

It's not free candy, this is a product being paid for, the more apt analogy would be having a box of chocolates offered, but all of them contain hazelnut, which you're allergic to, but you like the chocolate. So you're disappointed the chocolate, which you're excited for, and want to pay for, contains things which are actively harmful to you. How big of a deal that is depends on the person, and how much they feel this harms them, and how excited they were for the chocolate. It's very possible for something to be a bigger deal to one person than it is to another.

By the way regarding weather setting, it not only has offensive advantages, because of how prevalent it is, it also has defensive advantages in terms of stripping the desired weather state of the opponent. Just tossing that in there regarding which will see a preference for competitive play.

What kind of box of chocolate we talking bout? Like, those gross assorted ones or the real stuff?

Oh, sorry, I got sidetracked by the analogy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no chocolate based Heal-All-Status-Conditions dessert.
Anyways,the slowpoke seems to be important in the story (also they run crazy fast)

Last edited:
Hope Rillaboom gets Outrage and Roar actually.
Don't worry there are fairies... Mimikyu can handle Rillaboom fine, Eisque too actually and Talonflame comes back into play... even if Rillaboom has Fake Out
????? What does have to do with what I said???

One question I'm wondering about is how will the Expansion Pass content be balanced or scaled. Will it be basically just a Delta Episode, meaning that everyone is around Level 70 & you have to beat the game first to unlock it? Or will it level scale like the Battle Tower or based on how many Badges you have, like the Wild Area?

If I had to guess, I'd say the Isle of Armor will probably level scale somehow and will be treated like an optional side quest in the main storyline, since the theme is supposed to be "growth" aka training under Leon's former mentor & it'd make sense from a story perspective that you're seeking out Mustard's dojo to get stronger in preparation for the Champion's Cup, rather than you were just bored after catching Zacian/Zamazenta and had nothing better to do. The Crown Tundra on the other hand would make more sense as a postgame area, because it seems like the idea there is more you're exploring an inhospitable area of Galar and will be able to catch many Legendary Pokémon.

They said that it will function much like the wild area and I believe there was mention of the Isle of Armour being accessible once a player reaches the wild area.

Given that it sounds like having Kubfu is a requirement for the tower I'd guess that Kubfu's level is key to the leveling of the "story" element of the Isle of Armour.

You can only use a Kubfu in the towers, I also don't think the story will be much bigger than that.

So, you get to the island, start training in the dojo, get a Kubfu, do the tower, challenge Avery/Klara, fin.

We know they're adding new moves that can be tutored, but I really wonder if they'll add the missing moves back into the game, since it seems they're gradually fixing Dexit as well. I mean, I get cutting Pokémon in order to save time, but was it really beyond their limits to reanimate about 90 moves? I can't imagine it boils down to competitive balance because like... what did Bubble ever do to anyone? And Ion Deluge may as well still be in the game thanks to Zeraora and Plasma Fists, so why cut out the public option for that effect? Plus, all of the missing moves are still recorded in Home, despite no Pokémon being able to move backward into games where they exist.

But it just strikes me as a willful choice to have the likes of Woobat and Vespiquen in the game while excluding their signature moves (Heart Swap and Heal Order, but not Attack/Defend Order). How could that be an oversight or a time crunch?

We know they're adding new moves that can be tutored, but I really wonder if they'll add the missing moves back into the game, since it seems they're gradually fixing Dexit as well. I mean, I get cutting Pokémon in order to save time, but was it really beyond their limits to reanimate about 90 moves? I can't imagine it boils down to competitive balance because like... what did Bubble ever do to anyone? And Ion Deluge may as well still be in the game thanks to Zeraora and Plasma Fists, so why cut out the public option for that effect? Plus, all of the missing moves are still recorded in Home, despite no Pokémon being able to move backward into games where they exist.

But it just strikes me as a willful choice to have the likes of Woobat and Vespiquen in the game while excluding their signature moves (Heart Swap and Heal Order, but not Attack/Defend Order). How could that be an oversight or a time crunch?

Different teams work on different things. You can easily have the modeling team finish a Pokemon, have the lore team write up their Pokedex entry, and assign them a Pokedex number, and have the Area Mapping team assign them spawns throughout the world. Meanwhile the Battle Effects team working through their backlog just doesn't get it done, and due to a decision from up top that "no move gets included without a battle animation", combined with a decision from up top that "we ship on date X, no matter what" means that the moves just don't make the cut. We may not want to believe that's the way things work, but the evidence before us is clear.

As far as whether or not they'll add the missing moves, I have to assume half the team or more is already working on the next Pokemon game, and Sword and Shield is done and over with as far as they're concerned. The Expansion Pass team likely has a ton on their plates, and I would imagine that this is indeed on there, just pretty far down the list. They also likely have the same sort of "we ship on date X, no matter what" directives, and probably have inadequate manpower for the amount of work they have to do. As such I'd be surprised (pleasantly so, but surprised) if they made it in, or if there were any further expansions, or if Dexit was actually fixed. Just again based on the business realities we can observe.

A D/P remake would probably act as some sort of update to the national dex, as well, is my guess.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom