• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

You can only use a Kubfu in the towers, I also don't think the story will be much bigger than that.

So, you get to the island, start training in the dojo, get a Kubfu, do the tower, challenge Avery/Klara, fin.

I'm guessing it will feel like a boot camp, and it'll be revealed/implied that Mustard's training from hell was why Leon was able to become as strong as he is. Sort of like if Opal ran a fighting dojo.

Do you guys think the pandemic could delay the dlc?

Theoretically, sure. You should look at just about everything with an implied "subject to change" conditional right now. But the Isle of Armor still seems to be coming out on schedule, and I assume quite a lot of the major work on it is finished given its projected release date of only two months from now. A lot of the remaining development could be things that could be done from home via computers. "By the end of June" is a lot firmer of a statement than they necessarily need to give right now, and yet they still gave it.

It's a little harder to speak for the Crown Tundra, because who knows how the pandemic situation will evolve by then, but the recent Direct Mini reiterated its previously-stated release for autumn of this year.

Now that I think about it, with Rillaboom's G-Max they fulfilled my wish for Grookey to evolve into a Keith Moonkey.

This is the second time they have done this and I'm not disappointed.

Do you guys think the pandemic could delay the dlc?

I think it is possible, but less likely than it might be for some other games. Since it is DLC and not a full game, doesn't require carts or packaging to be made, and doesn't require them to worry about shipping logistics, there is less potential for it to be pushed back. I would be surprised if Isle of Armor didn't come out in June since the recent trailer didn't mention anything about a delay. It's certainly still possible, but I think they might have mentioned the delay already if it were happening for Isle of Armor. I'm hopeful Crown Tundra will still be released on time as well. In the end though, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I would be surprised if Isle of Armor didn't come out in June since the recent trailer didn't mention anything about a delay.
Technically the whole Direct-mini that the trailer was showcased in was prefaced with a message that anything in it was subject to delay due to COVID. But yeah, ultimately I agree. DLC is much less likely to experience a delay than a full game. Plus I would think most of not all of the dev work is complete for it at this point. It’s more likely in the testing phase.

About the DLC being delayed.

In a recent statement regarding a Game Freak employee testing positive for Covid-19, they stated that they were working from home since April 2nd. So, I'm pretty sure that The Isle of Armor will not be delayed. I'm unsure about The Crown Tundra, though.

I'm a little concerned the content of the upcoming Isle of Armor might be a bit ... shallow.

The 'story' doesn't seem very engaging, so far. Neither does the island look like more than an extension of the Wild Area we already got.

The returning Pokémon are nice, as well as the new customization options, but I don't see much else happening.

Covid-19 or not, we really could use some more hype. Only two months to go before release.

I would prefer that we know little about both parts of the DLC to keep things a surprise. I thought they did a terrific job with not spoiling too much about SWSH. But I am really curious to know what file size the overall Expansion Pass will be; I'd like to know if I should buy an SD card for extra space or not.

I would prefer that we know little about both parts of the DLC to keep things a surprise. I thought they did a terrific job with not spoiling too much about SWSH. But I am really curious to know what file size the overall Expansion Pass will be; I'd like to know if I should buy an SD card for extra space or not.
A product has to have some more info to sell itself. Anyway, if you want to keep it a mystery, then that could be a personal choice as well.

Alas, I expect the same kind of marketing as with the basegame, I'm just worried there's not much more than there has been shown at the moment. New returning pokes, wild area part 2, a small questchain to get Urshifu, some customization options and one or two Galarian lines. I just hope there's more authentic/unique stuff.

A product has to have some more info to sell itself. Anyway, if you want to keep it a mystery, then that could be a personal choice as well.

Alas, I expect the same kind of marketing as with the basegame, I'm just worried there's not much more than there has been shown at the moment. New returning pokes, wild area part 2, a small questchain to get Urshifu, some customization options and one or two Galarian lines. I just hope there's more authentic/unique stuff.

“More authentic” as in...? What’s not “authentic” about what’s been shown?

We know there’s a new battle mode called Restricted Sparring that hasn’t been talked about. Though for my part, everything you’ve listed plus the new Gigantamaxes plus renewable apricorns, and some new moves makes for a pretty good chunk of stuff.

Honestly I'm not super hype for the DLC at the moment, but when June comes around, with the completely barren rest of the year that Nintendo has set for us, I'll be totally ready to head back to Galar. I do plan on picking up Xenoblade at launch so I might be a bit preoccupied at the time, but still.

And also, with regards to them not revealing enough info; I'm fine with that too. IMO, GameFreak tends to get into a habit of revealing too much before launch. What they did with SuMo was abhorrent.

Isle of Armor looks like absolute fluff so far. They seem to have put more effort into Crown Tundra, but I doubt that'll be worth the 10-month wait. This is not a good way to start the DLC era.

“More authentic” as in...? What’s not “authentic” about what’s been shown?

We know there’s a new battle mode called Restricted Sparring that hasn’t been talked about. Though for my part, everything you’ve listed plus the new Gigantamaxes plus renewable apricorns, and some new moves makes for a pretty good chunk of stuff.
As Silktree said, it feels like fluff; more of the same, not much new/authentic. There hasn't been a big, unique core-feature (yet). Something the Crown Tundra might deliver with its den-exploring.

Anyway, the DLC could use at least a monthly news-update.

I like Sw/Sh, but it still could have had a lot more content for a 60-bucks game. The DLC's were a good sign, but the 'trailer' last month was very anticlimactic. Showing off League Card options as marketable content is just .... sad.

So, yeah, I hope there's more to the Isle of Armor than meets the eye, but I'm doubtful. It just feels like we've been shown everything, except for all the returning pokes, with the two trailers.

Last edited:
At this point, I wouldn't mind just a few more screenshots confirming more returning Pokémon. I can't even say what I'm more excited about. New ones or the return of some of my old buds.
Yeah, I can get around a minimum of marketing, but that would be splendid.

I doubt it, but I have vain hopes for one or two Galarian evolutions.

Hey look the Isle of Armor DLC Pokemon is being referenced:

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon_cojp/status/1256146446199525376

According to Google Translate, it mentions something about trying a game with Kubfu and possibly Urshifu (but Google Translate spelled the Japanese name wrong) on Pokenchi. Also, two of the people in the tweet are dressed as Kubfu and Urshifu and the other one has a Galarian Zigzagoon plush and I want it.

So at least it's getting mentioned I guess

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom