• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

this sort of marketing is a double-edged sword, and will continue to be so. people who want to enjoy playing through the dlc blind will benefit the most from minimal reveals, while people who thrive on the hype and the desire to know more will benefit the least from this, perhaps wondering if the dlc will have any sort of worth to it. personally, i'm hoping there's a tad bit more beyond newer pokemon and the kubfu stuff. not asking for a ton, but maybe a few new areas to explore here and there that would justify the price tag, at least.

people who want to enjoy playing through the dlc blind will benefit the most from minimal reveals,
I think the situation is pretty problematic since those who want the DLC to be a blind experience can avoid spoilers, but, there’s no way for someone who wants information to get it via marketing. Just my 2cents.

Its kinda sad we didnt get much new info besides the Kabufu stuff and Gigantamax forms. I hope its worth its money

This is exactly why I'm worried and not too hopeful about IoA. Even if they brought back all of the alola forms and z-moves even, it still would not have been worthwhile imo. Considering the price tag on it, there should be about as much new content as what the whole gym league journey had between the two of them. Now I mentioned alola forms and z-moves earlier cause I feel like IoA's environment seems similar to Alola. On that basis, if there's nothing completely new, I'm hoping that they at least bring back the Ultra Beasts with Ultra Wormholes for each (or at least some) of them after we obtain Kubfu.

this sort of marketing is a double-edged sword, and will continue to be so. people who want to enjoy playing through the dlc blind will benefit the most from minimal reveals, while people who thrive on the hype and the desire to know more will benefit the least from this, perhaps wondering if the dlc will have any sort of worth to it. personally, i'm hoping there's a tad bit more beyond newer pokemon and the kubfu stuff. not asking for a ton, but maybe a few new areas to explore here and there that would justify the price tag, at least.
I for one, really just want to know, for example, which pokémon are gonna return. All the new stuff, that I don't mind discovering, and I believe they can share that

Random thought that I had, but I'm wondering if Calyrex is supposed to be the Trio master to Zacian and Zamazenta, as opposed to Eternatus? I guess the reason behind my thinking is that Calyrex is said to rule Galar in the past... so it's a "king" and Zacian and Zamazenta are the "knights" serving it. On a side note, Eternatus just screams Ultra Beast to me, but that's a topic for another thread. :3

Random thought that I had, but I'm wondering if Calyrex is supposed to be the Trio master to Zacian and Zamazenta, as opposed to Eternatus? I guess the reason behind my thinking is that Calyrex is said to rule Galar in the past... so it's a "king" and Zacian and Zamazenta are the "knights" serving it. On a side note, Eternatus just screams Ultra Beast to me, but that's a topic for another thread. :3

I broadly like this idea, or at least the idea of Calyrex having a relationship to the wolves, and it reminds me of someone on here (can’t remember who, sorry) pointing out how the Crown Tundra has such a heavy emphasis on Legendary Pokémon and how during the main story of the games, Zacian and Zamazenta were said to have been born “somewhere beyond the Slumbering Weald” - somewhere which could perhaps be the Crown Tundra, which is indeed south of the Weald.

But on the other hand, the games do dress the wolves in terms of being monarchs themselves. They have Crowned forms when at their full power, and they’re associated/conflated with the heroic kings who saved Galar from Eternatus.

(In any case, “trio master” is kind of an obsolete term these days (and it was always just a fan-made term to begin with), with how Necrozma and especially Eternatus have bucked the entire notion of a third Legendary having an inherent connection to the other two mascots. Necrozma only shared a thematic concept with Solgaleo and Lunala, who were instead bound more closely by their pre-evolutions, and Eternatus could have been anything catastrophic that had to be subdued. I get the impression that GF want to mix up the old formula a little. Sure would be nice if they could bring themselves to do it without using the Dragon type, though.)

It would be ironic to have a deer rule over wolves. Would love that!

It's more like a rabbit, no?

Gotta say, "rabbit" never crossed my mind. Looking at it now, I can kinda see it, but I feel like the prongs around the Big Brain are definitely meant to be antlers, and the severely thin limbs and talk of its graceful movements are also meant to evoke a deer

Calyrex is probably a wolpertinger and the necklace thing with a triforce could be based on a Tibethian buddhist prayer beads, the triforce comes from the Hoji era were buddhism was fostered in Japan by the Hoji clan. Oryx in zoology means a cup-like structure, so possibly a reference to the holy grail. You can thank the youtuber Lockstin & Gnoggin for that.

I really only want to know two things before I buy this DLC.

1. Is there story/lore-relevant stuff in only one of them? I have both Sword and Shield, but I'm not sure I want to get both DLC if one of them isn't going to interest me. But new Pokemon (as in, brand new) would also draw me to the other one.

2. If I start a new game, does that mean I have to buy the DLC again to play through that part of the game? That wouldn't be any good to me, since I do like to restart the game and play through with different teams.

I really only want to know two things before I buy this DLC.

1. Is there story/lore-relevant stuff in only one of them? I have both Sword and Shield, but I'm not sure I want to get both DLC if one of them isn't going to interest me. But new Pokemon (as in, brand new) would also draw me to the other one.

2. If I start a new game, does that mean I have to buy the DLC again to play through that part of the game? That wouldn't be any good to me, since I do like to restart the game and play through with different teams.

Well..... Uh yeah theres gonna be lore and story in both parts considering they are based on growth and Exploration respectively.

It also doesnt matter if you have sword / or \ Shield or both if you buy the expansion pass for whichever you get parts 1 and 2.

.... No you wouldnt have to spend 30 dollars everytime for the dlc if you start over that would be a really stupid move on any game developers part.

That's definitely not the case, DLC is registered to your Nintendo account, not to your save file. And you can even create a new profile and still access it, as long as it's on the same Switch as the account that bought it.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom