• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

I mean, I'm not really surprised that there's been no leaks (or information, really) for this DLC. Take the Fire Emblem: Three Houses Cindered Shadows DLC that was released recently; I didn't hear any information or leaks about it at all, all the way up until release, to the point where I forgot it was announced. And that was a whole seven chapter addition to the game's main story with new characters and locations.

What I mean is, I doubt the lack of leaks/annoncements means a lack of content. I'm guessing that the Isle of Armor DLC will add an extra 3-5 hours to the game depending on your exploration level based on just the new Wild Area alone.

Then again, maybe I'm just naïve.

do we reckon nothing has leaked from the isle of armor yet because there's nothing to show? Or has gamefreak/TPC finally cracked down on leaks hard enough? I'm still not sure how to feel with the DLC dropping in approx a month. I want to be excited but I'm still under the impression that whatever was shown in the reveal trailer, and the previous one, is all that we're getting

Just my totally unprofessional assumption, but I would think these DLC packs have a smaller development crew than the base games, where lots of work gets outsourced and not everything can be tightly supervised at all levels, so leaks for the DLC just wouldn't be as likely to occur in the first place.

Mr Mime ice/psychic
Galarian Ponyta Psychic
Galarian Meowth Steel
Galarian Corsola Ghost
And those pokemon will help you. So I am assuming the Slowbro/Slowking is weak to Psychic or Ghost or Steel.

Well, two things.
  • Zoom calls.
  • And office computers are basically the same as home computers. I doubt Gamefreak even has office computers, pretty sure everyone just rolls in with their laptops and then heads out once the day ends.
Sorry for late reply and I'm aware that that the Japanese version of the version of the upcoming distribution event references that they are releasing Isle of Armor, so my comment will be mostly relevant to development of crown tundra which was the most likely one to be affected by Coronavirus (By the time corona hit Japan, the development of Isle of Armor was probably in late stage development):

1. Online calling services like Zoom are not a perfect replacement to office environments. Just because you can effectively teach in a classroom, doesn't mean you can teach class in a Zoom call effectively. Performances can differ between work environment.

2. Game Freak and the Pokemon franchise started during a time, in which the Internet was in it's infancy so they would have been founded on an office environment. While the technology used to develop the games has probably massively improved over the years and they probably developed some aspects of post Internet-era game development, Game Freak still feels like an "old guard" company in certain regards. Upper management is predominantly people from 90's era Game Freak and the Pokemon franchise has been extremely conservative in initializing major changes to the franchise (removing HMs. overworld Pokemon, adding post launch content etc.) xo I wouldn't be surprised if development is very "old guard" as well. A bunch of the lower-level programmers might be more familiar with more modern practices, but company culture is usually determined by the people at the top.

3. Yes office computers can be the same as home computers in terms of power, but having employees develop on a personal computer can be a security risk if you have proprietary software to develop your products (i.e. the engine and the development tools use to craft the game environments and assets) and important source code for your product. As a company with important trade secrets, you want to keep those secrets as safe as possible so it's a good practice to only put development tools on machines that will frequently be using them. Even if you your employees are completely loyal, there is always a risk that their computer will hacked during regular usage and potentially exposing your trade secrets in the process. If the software is on an office laptop (which i'd assume it is), an employee can bring it home to continue development at home, but sharing your work with other employees will be less secure since it needs to be done via the Internet (this is also ignoring any complications with a potential network that is hosting all of the officer computers/laptop and bandwidth issues while transferring information). That being said, this is only a problem at the start of the development when specialty software is being heavily used. The tasks done towards the end of development (final QA testing, translating, bug fixes, and code cleanup) are easier to compartmentalize and accomplish remotely. That is why Game Freak hires a bunch of temp workers during the end of development of the Pokemon games.

4. Development work on the designs/3D modelling of the new Pokemon/new forms is handled primarily by Creatures Inc. In addition to having to do the 3D modelling for the 3D main series game as well as some spinoffs, they are also working on Pokemon Titles of their own; the most recent ones being the Detective Pikachu games, which feature a lot of detailed facial animations for the titular character. With all this 3D modelling working going at once, a setback in Detective Pikachu's modelling could end up taking away time to model for the new main series Pokemon games, which in turn can push back Game Freak's a,development on a feature that requires said models.

This isn't necessarily related to corona, but corona could end up causing one of these delays. I thought about this possibility during the Dexit controversy and was surprised that no one brought it up as a possible cause for not getting all of the Pokemon in base Sword and Shield. Maybe something ended up happening with Detective Pikachu 2's development and they prioritized that game's development over SWSH's development and by the time they were done it was too late to complete the new textures for all of the Pokemon in time.

All of these factors could possibly result in the Crown Tundra being delayed (though the more likely outcome is that content will be simplified or cut). A variety of development problems ended up causing Monster Hunter World: Iceborne's Fourth title update getting delayed (some of it was voice acting problems, but it seems like other problems were going on as well) so a situation where Tundra Crown gets delayed is not out of the realm of possibility. I hope I was able to explain my points well and I hope the Expansion Pass development cycle goes really well so I can feel confident in Game Freak again and the DLC model for 3rd versions.

Source: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne title update 4 has been delayed, roadmap updated – TheSixthAxis

Just my totally unprofessional assumption, but I would think these DLC packs have a smaller development crew than the base games, where lots of work gets outsourced and not everything can be tightly supervised at all levels, so leaks for the DLC just wouldn't be as likely to occur in the first place.

With not everything tightly supervised, a leak would be more likely to happen. It might be a smaller leak since a person could have access to less information at a time, but we'd be more likely to get one as long the information isn't too fragmented.

Last edited:
With not everything tightly supervised, a leak would be more likely to happen.

That’s pretty much what I said - but about the base games. My assumption is that more people are involved in those, many of which in outsourced companies, meaning that things can’t be as carefully monitored, and so leaks slip out more easily. I’m supposing that’s *not* as much of a factor for the DLC.

Game Freak, you are brilliant. Of course receiving Pokémon that I already own is going to hype me up more than a trailer. And some of them being available in Go in the same type month is a coincidence, isn't it?

Sarcasm aside, apparently the Home update contains data for 20+ moves that are going to be introduced in the DLC. Classical Gamefreak.

Last edited:
Game Freak, you are brilliant. Of course receiving Pokémon that I already own is going to hype me up more than a trailer. And some of them being available in Go in the same type month is a coincidence, isn't it?

Sarcasm aside, apparently the Home update contains data for moves that are going to be introduced in the DLC. Classical Gamefreak.

At this point,I'm convincing myself that the leaks are GF's way of giving info to people who will dig far enough to get it, and keeping heavy spoilers away from people who won't, but I'm 90% sure that's not the case.
Also if the terrain move isn't learned by stunfisk, I'll be mad.

At this point,I'm convincing myself that the leaks are GF's way of giving info to people who will dig far enough to get it, and keeping heavy spoilers away from people who won't, but I'm 90% sure that's not the case.
It isn't considering the amount of developers that have done similar things and in the same way (Blizzard, Square-Enix, Capcom, Nintendo, etc).

Sarcasm aside, apparently the Home update contains data for 20+ moves that are going to be introduced in the DLC. Classical Gamefreak.

What do you guys think that these moves mean?

Coaching might go to Urshifu, if what little I know about Chinese applies ("shifu" means "master" IIRC). Some of them look like they might be future move tutor moves or maybe better moves of their corresponding types.

Base Sword and Shield had a low number of new moves. Perhaps they are adding new ones to make up the base games' deficit. I wonder if any movesets will be changed in the update before the Isle of Armor.
I don't think that movesets will be changed because that will cause some issues.

I
I don't think that movesets will be changed because that will cause some issues.

I meant that they could be given as new level up moves or egg moves. Pokemon have had their level up move list changed between different games of the same generation and updates can do the same.

It isn't considering the amount of developers that have done similar things and in the same way (Blizzard, Square-Enix, Capcom, Nintendo, etc).
For most of those companies, I don't think that was ever the intention of including the information in the game as way for clever people to find out the information early. A lot of the time it is included to prepare for its implementation or was added by mistake.

For most of those companies, I don't think that was ever the intention of including the information in the game as way for clever people to find out the information early. A lot of the time it is included to prepare for its implementation or was added by mistake.
That's what I was trying to say. From what you quoted, I see that I missed a period, so I guess that's why it looked weird. I apologize for that.

EDIT: It wasn't a period either. Note to self: post when you're not distracted.

As far as a new trailer goes, I think we'll probably get one. I know people are getting impatient, but even the stuff that we do know about that hasn't yet been formally shown (G-Max Urshifu, Galarian Slowbro, Restricted Sparring) would be enough to stitch a small trailer together.

That's what I was trying to say. From what you quoted, I see that I missed a period, so I guess that's why it looked weird. I apologize for that.

EDIT: It wasn't a period either. Note to self: post when you're not distracted.
I should follow that advice about not posting while distracted. I apologize for misunderstanding your comment.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom