• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Anyone else mildly disappointed that Klara/Avery never actually donned their dojo uniform? idk I just really like seeing characters in a range of clothing

(Shout-out to Avery's Rare League Card featuring a cameo appearance of the event-only Iconic Style tracksuit)

At the same time, though, I like that players aren't forced to wear the uniform for the duration of the training. I kept mine on, but it's nice to have the option.

Anyone else mildly disappointed that Klara/Avery never actually donned their dojo uniform? idk I just really like seeing characters in a range of clothing

(Shout-out to Avery's Rare League Card featuring a cameo appearance of the event-only Iconic Style tracksuit)

At the same time, though, I like that players aren't forced to wear the uniform for the duration of the training. I kept mine on, but it's nice to have the option.

Same nice to have the option, I kept mine on all the time and even wore it back on the mainland. Saw it as like how in Dragonball Z Goku, Krillin etc wear the uniforms from their dojos with the insignia on the back

Last edited:
One of the things that really stood out to me in this expansion were the brand new Move Tutor Moves available! I didn't anticipate Game Freak making a new move for every single type of Pokemon! I wanted to share my thoughts on them below:

(The move power and usage is abbreviated as so: Power/Accuracy/PP)

Terrain Pulse 50/100%/10 (Special)

The user utilizes the power of the terrain to attack. This move's type and power changes depending on the terrain when it's used.

• This is basically a terrain version of Weather Ball, not that Weather Ball was super competitive to begin with. There seems to be a larger appreciation of the terrain with several of these new moves, and this one is no exception. When a terrain is activated, the damage doubles to 100-and that's not even factoring the boost from the terrain. Surprisingly, not too many Pokemon can learn it... However, Indeedee can, which means if it has its HA, it has a STAB option stronger than Psychic. As this is a Pulse move, it's also boosted by Mega Launcher which adds a layer of versatility to Clawitzer and Mega Blastoise.

Burning Jealousy 70/100%/5 (Special)

The user attacks with energy from jealousy. This leaves all opposing Pokémon that have had their stats boosted during the turn with a burn.

• Not feeling the name; it's even the same in Japanese. That aside, it seems pretty niche in usage as you'd have to successfully predict when someone (preferably a physical attacker) boosts their stats before attacking. I would imagine, though, there'd be usage it for competitive single formats-maybe. Alolan Persian, the Impidimp line, and Cursola get this move too (outside the expected Fire types) which I found interesting.

Flip Turn 60/100%/20 (Physical)

After making its attack, the user rushes back to switch places with a party Pokémon in waiting.

• A Water version of U-Turn, but weaker for some reason... That really bothers me-why did they decrease the power? Anyway, physical Water attackers like Barraskewda, Sharpedo, Wishiwashi, etc. may appreciate this. Sadly, the Water-style Urshifu doesn't learn this... :( That aside, the name makes me chuckle as it's based off flip turning in real life swimming.

Grassy Glide 70/100%/20 (Physical)

Gliding on the ground, the user attacks the target. This move always goes first on Grassy Terrain.

• This move's localized name reminds me too much of those silly names from Let's Go. Something like Blade Glide, as in a blade of grass, would have been better imo. Anyway, here's another move designed to take advantage of a terrain; seems like it's tailor made to give Rillaboom a priority move. It's a Grass-typed Sucker Punch with a different caveat; while Sucker Punch can only be used if someone is attacking, this move can still be used regardless of a Grassy Terrain. Again, seems like a niche option that may not see much move-slot usage. Dubwool and Sirfetch'd also get this move, which is cool.

Rising Voltage 70/100%/20 (Special)

The user attacks with electric voltage rising from the ground. This move's power doubles when the target is on Electric Terrain.

• 70's the magic number, huh? Although this one makes sense-a 140 BP under Electric Terrain? And that's still not factoring the 50% damage boost? Tapu Koko is shaking in his Alolan ruins. This is one of my favorite moves yet-the potential damage output is crazy. Imagine Surge Surfer Raichu with this too, hoo boy.

Coaching -/-/10 (Status)

The user properly coaches its ally Pokémon, boosting their Attack and Defense stats.

• This one's Fighting if you didn't know. It's basically a Bulk Up for a teammate. It has uses in Double battles (like boosting the physical parameters of a slower teammate), but I don't know if it'll see a lot of usage. When Decorate exists, you wonder why this move doesn't boost two stages as well.

Scorching Sands 70/100%/10 (Special)

The user throws scorching sand at the target to attack. This may also leave the target with a burn.

• This is basically a Ground-typed Scald, but slightly weaker. Even has the same 30% burn chance! I love this move and a lot of special attacking Fire types can learn it; a great coverage move for them, especially against Rock types. I wonder why they didn't give it 80 BP like Scald, though...

Dual Wingbeat 40/90%/10 (Physical)

The user slams the target with its wings. The target is hit twice in a row.

• Lol, firstly just wanted to point out that I somewhat predicted this in the new move and abilities thread. That aside, there's finally a physical Flying type move that is high-powered and not Fly (two-turn), Brave Bird (recoil), or Aerial Ace (low attack power)! It's about time, sheesh! This an awesome STAB option for a lot of Pokemon, namely Technician Scyther. Naturally, the amount of Pokemon that can learn this is vast-even if they aren't Flying types, as long as they have wings then they're good. Also, again, it's a Flying version of Dual Chop...so why were some other move clones nerfed?

Meteor Beam 120/90%/10 (Special)

In this two-turn attack, the user gathers space power and boosts its Sp. Atk stat, then attacks the target on the next turn.​

• I like this move, although it isn't practical. Still, it's another special rock option outside of Power Gem. You also get a Special Attack boost while charging (!) which somewhat mitigates the two turn usage. Power Herb can be combined with this too, for a speedy +1 attack.

Skitter Smack 70/90%/10 (Physical)

The user skitters behind the target to attack. This also lowers the target's Sp. Atk stat.

• Another dumb Let's Go name. This one's Bug-typed, too. A good number of non-Bugs can learn it (Goodra's line, Decidueye, Milotic, the Persians, Chandelure's line, etc.); probably because of its Japanese name and meaning. I'm so-so with this move, but the guaranteed Special Attack drop is nice. A physical version of Struggle Bug, albeit a single-target.

Triple Axel 20>40>60/90%/10 (Physical)

A consecutive three-kick attack that becomes more powerful with each successful hit.

• Another favorite, and I love the name. It's like Triple Kick, but better (why was Triple Kick not buffed, then...)-ideally, it can rack up to 120 BP instead of 60 BP! It's a much better option than Ice Punch for some users (or at least can be). While a lot of Ice types naturally get this, several Pokemon associated with beauty (Gardevoir, Milotic, Lopunny, etc.) get this too. Other notable practitioners include Hitmontop, Gallade, Tsareena, and Cinccino (who can abuse this with Skill Link).

Corrosive Gas -/100%/40 (Status)

The user surrounds everything around it with highly acidic gas and melts away items they hold. Corrosive Gas cannot melt an item from Pokémon with the Sticky Hold Ability, or if it hits a Pokémon's substitute. It also cannot melt a Blue Orb, Red Orb, Griseous Orb, Plate, Drive, Memory, Rusted Sword, or Rusted Shield held by Kyogre, Groudon, Giratina, Arceus, Genesect, Silvally, Zacian, or Zamazenta respectively.

• Be careful, because this hits your partners in Double Battles too. Can you imagine a Galarian Weezing neutralizing both Abilities and items? Lol. It may see use in VGC doubles.

Expanding Force 80/100%/20 (Special)

The user attacks the target with its psychic power. This move's power goes up and damages all opposing Pokémon on Psychic Terrain.

• Another terrain-based move. The damage is doubled with Psychic Terrain, meaning you've got a STAB 160 BP with an additional 50% damage boost. It can outclass Psychic with a Psychic Terrain up, so there's that (it becoming a spread move has pros and cons; if you use it without the spread-effect, your opponent is in for some damage).

Poltergeist 110/90%/5 (Physical)

The user attacks the target by controlling the target's item. The move fails if the target doesn't have an item.

• What a deviously delicious move. Finally Ghost types have a good physical attack option; Shadow Claw is too weak and Phantom Force is telegraphed while wasting two turns. In a competitive scene, this move will 99% be able to function. I'm just...wow. I love it. It's amazing. My Decidueye will learn this, chaw-haw-haw.

Scale Shot 25/90%/20 (Physical)

The user attacks by shooting scales two to five times in a row. This move boosts the user's Speed stat but lowers its Defense stat.

• That Speed increase and Defense drop applies for each hit, mind you; if someone survives, then you've essentially allowed them to hit you with a strong physical move. It's basically a weaponized Weak Armor. And incredibly gimmicky and niche. I don't see anyone using this...at all, aside for personal reasons. Also, it works akin to Bullet Seed, for further clarification.

Lash Out 75/100%/5 (Physical)

The user lashes out to vent its frustration toward the target. If its stats were lowered during the turn, the power of this move is doubled.

• This move has the potential to do a lot of damage... However, it's gimmicky and niche. I would imagine maybe someone could predict an Intimidate drop...but still, it's a risk. HOWEVER! If you lower your partners stats, then that's a different situation...yikes. I imagine people will take advantage of a 150 BP move that way. Aside from Dark types and Pokemon associated with anger (like Gyarados and Drampa), Mudsdale, Midnight Lycanroc, and Bouffalant also notably get this.

Steel Roller 130/100%/5 (Physical)

The user attacks while destroying the terrain. This move fails when the ground hasn't turned into a terrain.

• Lol, they should have introduced this in Alola where terrains were all the rage. Aside from Steel types, a lot of spherical-like Pokemon get this move.

Misty Explosion (100/100%/5) (Special)

The user attacks everything around it and faints upon using this move. This move's power is increased (doubled to 200) on Misty Terrain.

• A weaker Self-destruct, which makes sense as a lot of Pokemon who learn Self-destruct naturally lack the STAB and physical power to use it effectively. Same for Explosion. Anyway, you have a lot of specially attacking fairies like Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Primarina that can learn this move. I'd imagine it's a great "I'm taking you with me, sucker" move...but I honestly was hoping for something a little less...suicidal, when it came to a new damaging Fairy move. Like, a better physical move, for example. Or they could have had the effect where your HP is left to one when using it on Misty Terrain.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

So several corrections to my earlier post about these moves:

Coaching: Remember how I questioned why the boosts weren't as large as Decorates? That's because Coaching affects every ally in battle, meaning you can buff the heck out of party members during Raid Battles (provided their stats don't get reset). So, I now see it in a more useful light.

Scale Shot: The stat effects do not happen after each hit; rather they occur after each series of hits. I'm still not a fan, but at least it's not as bad as I originally thought.

Also, as @pharaohyami5000 pointed out, I incorrectly stated the terrain boosts for Gen 8; it's a 30% boost now, rather than 50%.

Lastly, and this isn't a correction but an observation, Rising Voltage actually has substantially different animation should you use it during an Electric Terrain! For some reason, Expanding Force does not...despite having a similar effect.

I wish the Alola guy would give the same clothes as Elio's and Selene's from both SM and USUM to us.
It's funny, I hated the fact that I couldn't wear proper pants in Alola, and now I miss wearing shorts that aren't futbol shorts. I would have loved some more sunny weather gear since IoA seems a bit more tempered than the rest of Galar.

It's funny, I hated the fact that I couldn't wear proper pants in Alola, and now I miss wearing shorts that aren't futbol shorts. I would have loved some more sunny weather gear since IoA seems a bit more tempered than the rest of Galar.
I even miss all of the dad-shirts.

Some more datamine findings:

It looks like the Galarian Star Tournament... is literally just the post-game tournament but in Multi Battle format. :confused:

I... I just don't... I mean, in a game where the phrase "AI-controlled NPC partner" is already cause for deep apprehension, what could possibly be the point of this? Why does this deserve any spot in the trailer? In comparison, Restricted Sparring is an actual, novel challenge but they showed nothing about it prior to release. So what gives?

Still, this was also found:

"Dream matches"... so maybe there is more to it after all? Someone else pointed out that a previous find revealed that there are three different "trophy" graphics used for the tournament:

Plus, Mustard isn't on that first list, yet his teasing dialogue at the end of the IOA story really felt like it was setting up for the Star Tournament to me.

It looks like the Galarian Star Tournament... is literally just the post-game tournament but in Multi Battle format. :confused:

I... I just don't... I mean, in a game where the phrase "AI-controlled NPC partner" is already cause for deep apprehension, what could possibly be the point of this? Why does this deserve any spot in the trailer? In comparison, Restricted Sparring is an actual, novel challenge but they showed nothing about it prior to release. So what gives?
That is exactly what I was expecting, honestly.
GameFreak has odd marketing priorities. The "egg move tutoring" was huge and it took forever for them to reveal it and they didn't advertise following Pokémon coming back at all.

Plus, Mustard isn't on that first list, yet his teasing dialogue at the end of the IOA story really felt like it was setting up for the Star Tournament to me.
I suspect Mustard was setting up the Dream Matches instead of the Star Tournament.

GameFreak has odd marketing priorities. The "egg move tutoring" was huge and it took forever for them to reveal it and they didn't advertise following Pokémon coming back at all.

Indeed. And I just remembered, they gave trailer space to League Card cosmetics, of all things, which could have instead gone to following Pokémon, which surely would have gotten more people excited?

I suspect Mustard was setting up the Dream Matches instead of the Star Tournament.

Maybe so.

I felt like I should double-check, and I can verify that of those three graphics, two are already used in the base game - the buff humanoid appears during the Championship finals where you face off against Nessa, Beallister, and Raihan. The cup-shaped one appears instead for post-game tournaments. Which leaves the new one that we see up there, which looks to me like a very stylized version of two Trainers side-by-side doing a wind-up before throwing their Poké Balls. So, Multi-Battle.

What signature moves will Calyrex have?
What location will we encounter Clayrex?
Will we ever see another DLC?

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the Calyrex fusions, will Calyrex itself change like Kyurem or will it just be tacked on another Pokemon like Necrozma? I prefer the former to be honest but I have a feeling it will be the latter knowing the names in the datamine translate to white horse and black horse, giving the appearance of it just riding another Pokemon with nothing major added or changed on its body.

Speaking of Gym Leader cameos, I notice Milo brings a Tsareena with him which... isn't on any of his teams. I presume it's the one you saved from the weirdos' Galar particle bombardment, but what, did the devs think Flapple, Appletun, or Eldegoss just looked too weird standing around?

How is that possible?
Are you questioning his talents?
I'm more interested in the Calyrex fusions, will Calyrex itself change like Kyurem or will it just be tacked on another Pokemon like Necrozma? I prefer the former to be honest but I have a feeling it will be the latter knowing the names in the datamine translate to white horse and black horse, giving the appearance of it just riding another Pokemon with nothing major added or changed on its body.

It just doesn't feel fitting for a wolpertinger to be fused with a horse, maybe they are not actual horses, I couldn't find anything about horse fusion in king Arthur myths, maybe I should check Buddhism or norse mythology, because if it has no reason connected to its inspirations to be the way it is, I'll be disappointed

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom