• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Restricted sparring is pretty fun, forcing me to get creative with teams. My fifth round of the Psychic type felt like the game having mercy though:
I enter with Nimue the Alakazam/Choice Specs, Bors the Gallade/Choice Band, Starstorm Starmie/Life Orb. I'm forced to heal both times and in round 4 Bors is OHKO switching into an Abomasnow's Wood Hammer.
First opponent in match 5 is a Bisharp who uses Sucker Punch and Nimue is down. Starstorm comes in, luckily at full health, and Dynamaxes, barely survives Sucker Punch and one hit KO Bisharp. Still, Starmie is low on HP and so he'll go down if anyone here is faster than them or durable enough to take a rainy water strike.
The remaining opponents are Pikachu and Torkoal.
Edit: My main issue is that Restricted Sparring seems tilted fully towards sweepers as the only real option.

Edit 2: Conversely, my run at the Fighting type saw my Rapid Strike Ursifu sweeping every enemy party while my Lucario and my Kommo-o cheerlead.

Last edited:
I finished the restricted sparring and got my self the mustard shirt. For me it was fun last type i finished was normal, the hardest to compose a team. It felt like restriced sparring is a training for future gym leaders choosing a specific type and battling various of trainers

It just doesn't feel fitting for a wolpertinger to be fused with a horse, maybe they are not actual horses, I couldn't find anything about horse fusion in king Arthur myths, maybe I should check Buddhism or norse mythology, because if it has no reason connected to its inspirations to be the way it is, I'll be disappointed
Most Pokemon has more than one inspiration, especially in mythology. Zygarde is very notable in this aspect as it takes inspiration from more than one myth.

I hope we get someone from Kalos in Crown Tundra. I forgot to mention the Alola guy should have upgrade the Dynamax Band to include both Z Movies and Mega Evolutions (a Z Crystal on the left and a Mega Stone on the right).

I still have yet to try Restricted Sparring (I wanna get Honey's Rare League Card first lol; I'm a little under halfway there but I need these Max Raid events to just end already), but I'm quite looking forward to it. It's the sort of skill-based challenge that for a while now I've thought they could compose a reimagined, less RNG-heavy Battle Frontier out of.

Overall, one thing I really liked about this release is that everyone was on the same page going into it - there was no datamine to blow the surprise. Now, I love datamine season and fully partake of it myself, of course, but it felt cool to have that sort of old, untainted, global experience again, like when X & Y first launched.

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to accumulate enough Watts for the Dojo to change its appearance on the outside, for the time being, I didn't partake in Restricted Sparring yet, going to do so when the whole Watt quest is done.

Admittedly I've been capturing and EV training dozens of different Pokémon since the game launched so I was pretty prepared for Restricted Sparring. Wouldn't have bothered without Pokéjobs letting me mass train 'em though.

I can see it being a huge pain for people running a more normal "single in-game party with a few reserves" deal and unlike the tower you can't Eternatus/Zacian your way through. Lower tier Legendarys seem okay (like I mentioned they let me use Urshifu to devastating effect).

The important thing is that the BP rewards are insanely better than the tower. 3 BP per win, a fifth win gets you 20, first time you get 5 wins in a type you get a 30 BP bonus.

I'm currently trying to accumulate enough Watts for the Dojo to change its appearance on the outside, for the time being, I didn't partake in Restricted Sparring yet, going to do so when the whole Watt quest is done.

You can change the Dojo's look? :lapras:

You can change the Dojo's look? :lapras:
Well, I thought at first when she said that, but now that I fact-checked, I'm going to try to get her rare League Card. But trust me, once you see how many Watts it's going to take to get that, you will need more than one day of grinding, especially since most of the time, luck could not be on your side when trying to get Armorite Ore.

Most Pokemon has more than one inspiration, especially in mythology. Zygarde is very notable in this aspect as it takes inspiration from more than one myth.
Yeah I agree, that's why I said I should look into Buddhism and other myths, and now I feel stupid for looking into king Arthur since it seems to be the most unlikely inspiration

Hey so I've been taking my sweet time with the Expansion pass to the point that I'm taking my kubfu on a tour around mainland Galar to level it up for the tower (idk I'm weird). Question do you think it is worth it to keep Urshifu's signature move in lieu of a similar powered, same type move (think Darkest Lariat or Liquidation)?

As I checked, those special moves don't really have significant effects (critical) compared to higher powered moves with significantly more pp.

I've been trying to look around for this, but haven't found an answer. Do you need Porygon2 and Porygon-Z to finish the Isle of Armor Pokedex? I was looking through my Pokedex to see what I was missing when I noticed that only Porygon had a slot in the Pokedex, but not 2 or Z.
I'm hoping not, since I'd rather save my discs for when I want to breed for a competitive one, or at least for fun.

I've been trying to look around for this, but haven't found an answer. Do you need Porygon2 and Porygon-Z to finish the Isle of Armor Pokedex? I was looking through my Pokedex to see what I was missing when I noticed that only Porygon had a slot in the Pokedex, but not 2 or Z.
I'm hoping not, since I'd rather save my discs for when I want to breed for a competitive one, or at least for fun.

I would think so since the Porygons aren't mythicals. The reason why 2 and Z don't appear in your Dex is because you haven't seen them and thus the Pokedex only shows the list up to the Pokemon with the highest dex number you've seen.

You are required to have caught them, yes.

I don't understand why they didn't just put Kubfu at the end of the Dex. Legendaries have always been a good way to indicate "You're close to the end!"

I would think so since the Porygons aren't mythicals. The reason why 2 and Z don't appear in your Dex is because you haven't seen them and thus the Pokedex only shows the list up to the Pokemon with the highest dex number you've seen.
You are required to have caught them, yes.

I don't understand why they didn't just put Kubfu at the end of the Dex. Legendaries have always been a good way to indicate "You're close to the end!"

Yeah, it's weird. I found it off since you'd typically have a blank spot in the Pokedex whenever you're missing a Pokemon.
I had Ditto at the end of my Pokedex this whole time, and as I said, Porygon showed up at the end when I got it from Honey's son.
Is this how the Pokedex functions now? To be honest, I never really paid attention to the mainland 'Dex until postgame, so I'm not sure if it was doing the same thing there.

Is this how the Pokedex functions now?

It has always worked like that.
Well, Unova Dex had the musketeers in the middle and the Alola Dex had Zygarde in the middle. They likely don't want to spoil the complete number of Pokemon in the Dex early, specially as the player receives Kubfu relatively early. Of course, that strategy fails with trades and some events involving mythicals.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom