• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

How is everyone feeling about the decision to release bundled versions of Sword and Shield with the Expansion Pass pre-installed? On one hand, I'm glad because it means there will still be a way for players to visit the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra in the future when the Switch servers eventually shut down. On the other hand, I feel a bit cheated because I would have preferred to have everything on the game card, but I already bought the game and pass separately. The updated box art with Calyrex and Urshifu at the bottom looks really nice though.

On the other hand, I feel a bit cheated because I would have preferred to have everything on the game card, but I already bought the game and pass separately.
That's the thing. Unlike third versions, this means that people that bought early don't get screwed like what happened with third versions. Sure, you bought things separate, but at least you can get the new content without playing through the same game again with minor changes.

I think the bundle pack is a pretty sensible marketing decision that doesn't really affect me in any way. :p

I mean, I like having everything on a physical card too, but I wouldn't have wanted to wait until November just to dig into the DLC content. I'd rather have it as it rolls out.

I think the bundle pack a pretty sensible marketing decision that doesn't really affect me in any way. :p

I mean, I like having everything on a physical card too, but I wouldn't have wanted to wait until November just to dig into the DLC content. I'd rather have it as it rolls out.
The bundle pack is handy for people who may want to play the game in the distant future where the DLCs are no longer available to download.

On another note, I really love how Avalugg looks drifting in the waters in the trailer. And Purple Ranger Articuno flying so majestically through the air... the sense atmosphere I get from it, from the idea of standing in this snowy landscape and seeing a beautiful mythic bird flying off in the distance, is sooooo good.

The bundle pack is handy for people who may want to play the game in the distant future where the DLCs are no longer available to download.

Indeed, and it's convenient right now for holdouts, parents looking for Christmas gifts, and collectors.

Though I actually do not like the cover art. (why do caly and urshifu literally look like the virgin/chad meme?)

Last edited:
That's the thing. Unlike third versions, this means that people that bought early don't get screwed like what happened with third versions. Sure, you bought things separate, but at least you can get the new content without playing through the same game again with minor changes.
I think the bundle pack is a pretty sensible marketing decision that doesn't really affect me in any way. :p

Yeah, I mean I haven't actually missed out on any content, nor have I been made to buy the same thing twice (which was technically the case when third/enhanced versions existed). But I suspect I will one day end up buying cheap second-hand copies of the bundled versions on eBay or somewhere, just because I like the added security of owning physical copies of things. If my Switch broke one day in the future when the servers are no longer active, I'd lose anything that isn't on the game card.

This is my favourite thing about it, for sure. When the DLC was first announced I was concerned about how it might affect players who want to revisit the game in years to come.

• G-Slowking is...a wizard? I guess it has some Hero/Villain and Future/Past themes with Slowbro, but both designs look extremely mediocre and disconnected to everything to me.
  • Dynamax adventures are interesting, and are a nice way to make raids less repetitive as they guarantee a Legendary. Hopefully the rental Pokemon don't suck. It's disappointing but expected that many legendaries will be version exclusives, which means the Pokedex will be a pain to complete until they make an event.
  • My boy is trapped in Pokemon Scam :cry: Can't we trade the Pikachus for it?

Read my previous posts. The issue is that it (and all of the other scraps of info) weren't enough to carry the presentation, not that I didn't want it.
Eh. Personally, I’m content with what the trailer showed. It pretty much met my expectations. Plus there’s still plenty of time between now and release and we know from the datamine that there’s more to be shown.

I've been looking for a way to pre order that bundle cart and can't find anywhere to to preorder much less the price of the thing.
So my question is this has anybody found or or know how much that is going to cost and/or how to preorder it yet?

I'd still argue that having the original versions of the Legendary Birds catchable in the same game as their regional variants goes a little too far in the immersion-breaking aspect, even if they are limited to the largely-divorced Dynamax Adventures.

easy handwave with birds - they can migrate great distance so the Kanto versions are new arrivals and the Galarian versions have been there generations

How is everyone feeling about the decision to release bundled versions of Sword and Shield with the Expansion Pass pre-installed?

not surprised at all - I said when DLC was announced I said I expected them but a few people said “but no third versions.” Technically it’s not a third version, it’s a bundle deal which is fairly standard with popular games. It’s much why I’d have actually have preferred a third version than DLC because I’d have preferred physical but didn’t want to wait.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom