• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword/Shield Team Creator and Advice thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Now that the games are out, it might be time to create a thread that helps players decide on what their teams will consist of. We have a thread that was created way back during the pre-release events, during which we were exposed to some of the Mons, so we could create rough idea teams. But now that the games are out and we know all the Mons in the dex, I think it's high time we open a full team creator/help thread like in the normal game forum section.

Here, you can post questions or advice regarding what are some ideal and/or interesting Mons to use in a playthrough. They can be practical, gimmicky, competitive, and so on. If someone needs help with creating a team from the 400 Mon pool, then this is the place to ask or give advice. So, without further ado, let's get the Ultra Ball rolling.

Advice:

Don't sleep on the regional bug.
824.png

Grubbin 2.0​
It may look silly and weak, however its evolutions are rather useful, as I learned during my playthrough of Sword. Dual Bug/Psychic is an interesting combo that, despite its drawbacks, can really aid a team. Its final evolution is a fast tank with the base stats 60/45/110/80/120/90, and has the moves to back it up. Dual screens (level up) and Recover (egg move) can really make this thing hard to take down. However, I will admit the offenses leave a lot to desire and the plethora of weaknesses do lessen the effectiveness of its bulk.

Evolution levels
  • Second stage: 10
  • Third stage: 30

Last edited:
Hey so I haven’t gotten the game yet (I’ll be getting it for Christmas) and I often end up getting surprised on Pokémon that end up sticking around to the final team so this is more of a hypothetical question. Let’s say this was my team.
Rillaboom
Rillaboom- Moveset: Drum Beating, Boomburst, Energy Ball, Stomping Tantrum
Drednaw
Dreadnaw- Moveset: Counter, Liquidation, Crunch, Rock Slide.
Centiskorch
Centiskorch- Moveset: X-Scissor, Fire Lash, Venoshock, Crunch
Ponyta
Galarian Ponyta- Moveset: Dazzling Gleam, Iron Tail, Psychic, either Zen Headbutt or Healing Wish
Alcremie
Alcremie- Dazzling Gleam, either Draining Kiss or Psyshock, Recover, Mystical Fire

Which of the following would be the best to have on that team; Corviknight or Dragapult?

@TRNatalie I'd go for Corviknight. Flying/Steel is a good combo, you get it very early (it is the early route bird), and having both Poison and Ground immunities plus resistance to Fairy and Steel make it a very good Mon. Plus, it has pretty good stats for an early bird Mon, though a tad on the slow side (and don't even bother with its Special Attack stat, as it's useless). The Pseudo of this region is very hard to find and comes pretty late, plus it evolves slowly, so by the time you get one, it could very well be too late to raise it to its final form before the final battles. Plus, with the abundance of Fighting Mons in the game, that pure Flying typing can give you some early advantages during the early and mid game. So, go with Corviknight. Oh, also, since it's hard to find its HA, try to get one with Keen Eye, as it'll become Pressure upon evolving into Corviknight (its other ability is Unnerve, which is rather situational, so Keen Eye/Pressure is the more practical choice). Hope that helps.

The two powerhouse Pokemon I've been most impressed with are Corviknight and Drednaw.

The starter I picked was Sobble (Inteleon, the final evo, is meh). I feel like Gen 8 is missing a decent fire type that isn't a starter, I really don't want to have to use Pokemon from previous generations.

Thievul's stats are mediocre. Is it reliable enough for the end game? Does it have a lot of overlap with Boltund in terms of moves (specially level-up) or can it develop his own style?
What is the minimum amount of gyms you have to fight before having a chance to obtain Cufant and Snom? No need to go into story details, just give me the number.

@TRNatalie I'd go for Corviknight. Flying/Steel is a good combo, you get it very early (it is the early route bird), and having both Poison and Ground immunities plus resistance to Fairy and Steel make it a very good Mon. Plus, it has pretty good stats for an early bird Mon, though a tad on the slow side (and don't even bother with its Special Attack stat, as it's useless). The Pseudo of this region is very hard to find and comes pretty late, plus it evolves slowly, so by the time you get one, it could very well be too late to raise it to its final form before the final battles. Plus, with the abundance of Fighting Mons in the game, that pure Flying typing can give you some early advantages during the early and mid game. So, go with Corviknight. Oh, also, since it's hard to find its HA, try to get one with Keen Eye, as it'll become Pressure upon evolving into Corviknight (its other ability is Unnerve, which is rather situational, so Keen Eye/Pressure is the more practical choice). Hope that helps.
It does, thank you. Pressure Corviknight it is! :bulbaLove:
Also, just one more quick question; does Galarian Rapidash keep Pastel Veil upon evolution or does it lose that ability for Run Away? I read somewhere that it does the latter and while I’ve been trying to look for answers, I’ve gotten pretty mixed answers towards both.

What is the minimum amount of gyms you have to fight before having a chance to obtain Cufant and Snom?
Cufant: Second badge
Snom: Fourth badge (note that the level range for Snom includes levels that you cannot capture without the fifth badge)

Also, just one more quick question; does Galarian Rapidash keep Pastel Veil upon evolution or does it lose that ability for Run Away? I’ve been trying to look it up online but I’ve gotten pretty mixed answers.
Yes, it keeps Pastel Veil.

@Nicolas721 You can also find Snom in certain Max Raid Battles, which will allow you to bypass the badge capture limit. I found one in a Max Raid Battle somewhere near Hammerlocke. If memory serves, it was in either the Stony Wilderness, Giant's Mirror, or Giant's Cap area. As a result, you can catch it around the same time as Cufant, or at least after Badge #3 (Fire Badge). Serebii would most likely have the exact den/location needed to find it, but, either way, you can get it earlier than the fifth badge.

Anyway, now it's my turn. Considering I did a cheap experiment to test my theory about TRs getting passed down from another thread, I now have a leftover Koffing egg. Which brings me to my question: is Galaring Weezing any good? I plan to do a Shield run when I get it, and, perhaps before then, another Sword run on my Switch Lite, so I wanted to know of Galarian Weezing would be a good option for my Poison and/or Fairy slot. I know its attacking stats are only 5 points apart, so it can run mixed sets if needed (though its movepool suggests it leans more toward the special side), and it's decently bulky, along with having a BST equal to Mons like Electabuzz and Kangaskang. So, would Galarian Weezing be a good idea to use for a playthrough? And which ability would be more useful (Levitate or Neutralizing Gas)? Thanks in advance.

And which ability would be more useful (Levitate or Neutralizing Gas)?
I don't recall any situations in the game involving abilities where Neutralizing Gas would be helpful. The immunity Levitate provides might be more useful if you don't have a lot of Flying types and/or Ground resists.

Got a new one. Doing another Sword run on my main Switch and I'm not sure which Water Mon to run. I've got both a Cloyster and Golisopod at Lv30 and I've already beaten Kabu, so the Water element isn't really needed again until Gordie. Cloyster has things like Razor Shell and Shell Smash, but since she doesn't have Skill Link, I can't make much use out of moves like Icicle Spear and Rock Blast, which is one of Cloyster's strengths, while Golisopod just evolved, so he doesn't have a lot of noteworthy moves on him atm outside of First Impression, though I do have a lot of TMs and TRs (at least what's available at that point in the game) to use. Both are generally bulky but slow Mons, and both will have somewhat of an aversion to Gordie (Rock beats both Ice and Bug) when the Water element is needed again. I'm tempted to use Golisopod due to the more raw power he has and lack of need for the "right" ability like Cloyster, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom