• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sword & Shield = X & Y Sequel?

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
I’ve always thought that X and Y needed a sequel and I’ve believed Sword and Shield is that sequel. I’ve just found a video someone agrees with me and I don’t know if I’m just confirming my bias.

Please watch and tell me what you think (don’t know the youtuber not affiliated) it all makes so much sense to me.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2BM6Kk1DFI

That video is wrong about SwSh being developed alongside SM. The Ohmori quote was about USUM, and there is a recent one that confirms that there was no overlap with SM.

The theory is really just wishful thinking. The Couriway train would lead to Belgium or Germany. Also, AZ's war was a civil war involving AZ's brother, not unlike the Unova war. And Meltan isn't related to Galar as far as we know.

That video is wrong about SwSh being developed alongside SM. The Ohmori quote was about USUM, and there is a recent one that confirms that there was no overlap with SM.

The theory is really just wishful thinking. The Couriway train would lead to Belgium or Germany. Also, AZ's war was a civil war involving AZ's brother, not unlike the Unova war. And Meltan isn't related to Galar as far as we know.

I know there’s a lot wrong there but I still think it could line up as I assumed when we got France we’d get UK soon. The geography doesn’t need to exactly like ours although Galar does seem to be an island. I’d think it has a Chunnel like irl England/France.

Azure Bay and Sea Spirit Den are based on the Channel Islands, according to Bulbapedia.

Me right now

I know there’s a lot wrong there but I still think it could line up as I assumed when we got France we’d get UK soon.

The UK is one of the most powerful and iconic countries in the world; it was really only a matter of time. I doubt their decision to make a region based on it has anything to do with their decision to make a region based on France two whole generations ago. And like Riley said, now I extra-deeply doubt that Kalos will have any particular relevance in SwoShi due to the absence of one of Kalos's cornerstone features (Mega Evolution, and all of its affiliated mythology).

Ever since Gen 2, people have anticipated that each new region would allow us to visit the previous one. But it's never happened, because Johto was the only time they ever designed a new region with contiguity in mind (which as we know now from the Spaceworld demo, seems to have actually been a scaling back of a larger idea to have the Gen 2 games cover the entirety of Japan). In every subsequent case, each new region has been created as a self-contained setting. But I find it especially perplexing that the idea still finds steam even when, for one thing, the only time that they've "seeded" a reference to a future region was with Alola in the Kalos games and even that ended up betraying that their plans for Alola must have been in only the very early stages at the time (as the Backpacker boasts about his region's Champion, only for us to find out that Alola never had one until we came along), which should really cast some suspicion on the thought that Game Freak know how to play the long game with subtle references to future works. And for another thing, when these games have already had to cut a portion of the total Pokémon roster. Do we really think that's because they secretly were modeling not just the Galar region, but also recreating the Kalos region in a high-definition full scale as well, purely for fanservice? Or is it more than likely just Game Freak being Game Freak, and they felt that they had to do that in order to get the game even this far before the deadline?

It makes geographic sense since the UK and France are pretty well-connected, but we have to remember that real world relationships do not necessarily translate into the Pokémon world. Unova (NY) and Alola (Hawaii) are from the same country yet the Pokémon games lack to establish a strong connection between the two regions. I think, at best, we will get is having some Kalosian characters make cameos in the Galar region, like Diantha or even Lysandre. Who knows?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom