• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh SwSh Team-crafting Thread

Pick one.

• Total voters
I'm not sure if you're ok with spoiling the new Pokemon for this game, but if you're ok with that I have some suggestions for some new ones that cover most of the types you listed.

If you want water or grass then I assume you'll probably pick either Sobble or Grookey? After that I have some other team member suggestions...

1. Electric/Poison - There's a new Electric/Poison type Pokemon that goes from a baby purple lizard (it's literally a baby, it throws tantrums while it attacks) to a tall punk rocker lizard. They're called Toxel and Toxtricity. I think they're more special focused than physical but I'm not 100% sure.

2. Ghost/Ground - Yamask gets a new evolution in these games called Runerigus, it becomes a sort of rune ghost where it carries around pieces of rubble from a stone tablet. It's a physical attacker and also has really strong defenses.

3. Dark/Fairy - A new goblin Pokemon has this typing called Impidimp, he eventually evolves into Grimmsnarl a large troll-like Pokemon. He's a strong physical attacker. He's also not bad with special attacking.

4. Grass/Dragon - Depending on the version you can get an Applin that evolves into either Flapple (Sword) or Appletun (Shield). I think Flapple is more of a physical attacker while Appletun is more special attacker (though I think it's attack and special attack aren't that different) One warning though, Applin doesn't learn any moves through level up so it'll probably be hard to battle with them until they evolve. It's basically this gens Magikarp.

5. Bug/Ice - An Ice moth Pokemon called Frosmoth that evolves from Snom. Only problem with this one is it appears late game, so if you want it you might have to trade for it or find it in a rax maid battle. I don't know much about it but I'd assume it's a special attacker. (and I'd imagine its special defense is stronger than its physical defense as well)

6. Steel/Flying - Corviknight, you can get this one early on by catching a Rookiedee. I think its more physical focused and also has good defenses.

Other possibilities....

Ponyta and Rapidash have galarian forms exclusive to Shield that are Psychic and Psychic/Fairy.

Darumaka and Darmanitan have ice type galarian forms that are exclusive to Sword.

There's also Polteageist that evolves from Sinistea, it's a teapot Pokemon and its pure ghost.

Some sand snakes called Silicobra and Sandaconda that are pure ground.

Some hints...

- You can get late game Pokemon early if you catch them through a max raid battle someone else is hosting. If you press Y you can bring up a list of stamps, the max raid battles are the ones with the Pokemon silhouettes.

- There are also some Pokemon like Impidimp that you can catch earlier through the wild area than through the linear routes.
I already know Toxtricity and will definitely get this Pokemon just like Corviknight. In Sword I already know that I'll pick Scorbunny and I think I'll pick Sobble in Shield and I'll also pick Galar Ponyta I'm just not sure which nature is the best for each Pokemon

Even though Grookey is my favorite of the three starters, he's too slow for my tastes.

My current team:

Drizzile
Corvisquire
Chewtle
Yamper
Nickit
Meowth (Kantonian, the gift one that is given to us)

Drizzile and Corvisquire are definitely staying on my team. Any recommendations for Grass type or Fire types from Gen 8 to replace the others? Yamper is probably good to stay, even though he has a pathetic moveset.

Even though Grookey is my favorite of the three starters, he's too slow for my tastes.

My current team:

Drizzile
Corvisquire
Chewtle
Yamper
Nickit
Meowth (Kantonian, the gift one that is given to us)

Drizzile and Corvisquire are definitely staying on my team. Any recommendations for Grass type or Fire types from Gen 8 to replace the others? Yamper is probably good to stay, even though he has a pathetic moveset.
I think either Ninetales or Arcanine are good fire Pokemons. I'd either pick Ludicolo or Roserade as a grass type Pokemon

Currently working with:

Drizzile
Corvisquire
Toxtricity
Eldegoss
Golett
Vibrava

Eldegoss has been surprisingly useful up to now- about to challenge the 4th gym so I’m thinking I’ll need to trade her in for a fire type of some sort soon, but for now she’s been a great help catching Pokémon with Sing.

It seems my team will be staying like this for now:

Drizzile
Corvisquire
Hattrem
Carkol
Galarian Yamask
Gloom

Congrats to me for having a team without any type overlap for the first time in forever. Corvisquire and Carkol have been my MVPs so far. I can't resist the Oddish line in any game, no matter what I do. I initially had it on my team so I could have a stun spore user to help me catch Pokemon, but it just became a permanent addition after a while because I am weak-willed.

I'm considering doing a monotype run of Shield once I finish Sword, but I don't know what types would be the most interesting to use. My current picks are Grass or Fairy for now.

I'm glad I can implement Roselia and Wooper into my team in this game. I attempted to use both in previous playthroughs but didn't finish either game (Roserade in Y and Quagsire in Virtual Console Gold). They also cover the special attack deficit I was struggling with earlier.

Along with those two, I've got Yamper (soon to be Boltund) and Corvisquire on my team. Boxed Chewtle because I'm pretty sure the Boltund will have Strong Jaw. Trying to round out my team and thinking of adding Milcery/Alcremie.

So I've pretty much gotten my team down (Drednaw, Orbeetle, Toxtricity, Sandaconda, Duraludon) except for the last spot. I'm debating using either Dragapult or Grapploct. I can get Grapploct earlier than Dragapult, but the ghostly dragon is super fast and what I need on my team is a fast Pokemon considering no one has a base speed stat above 90 on my team.

Last edited:
I think I have my team mostly figured out but I may need to tweak it.

-Inteleon
-Thievul (might switch it out for something else later)
-Coalossal
-Ostragoon
-Cursola
-Sylveon

I couldn't decide on a 6th member before beating the game, but I had the first 5 decided: Inteleon, Obstagoon, Corviknight (Gigantamax), Dragapult, and Charizard (Gigantamax). In Charizard's place, since that's a post-game Pokemon, I used a Centiskorch that could G-Max although I never really used it, and in the 6th slot, I rotate between Eternatus or Zacian. I've been considering Morpeko for the 6th slot but it might not be as good as I want it to be plus there's the typing overlap with Obstagoon.

I'd like some advice. Should I, or should I not, switch out my Thievul for an Impadimp. On the one hand I've had my Thievul for a while and feel a bit bad switching it out, on the other hand I have two dark types including it so losing it won't be that much of a loss, on a third hand (don't ask me why I have three hands. It's a long story) it kind of renders both my Galar Linoone and Sylveon pointless, since it's a fairy dark type with moves that only it can leaen.

I'd like some advice. Should I, or should I not, switch out my Thievul for an Impadimp. On the one hand I've had my Thievul for a while and feel a bit bad switching it out, on the other hand I have two dark types including it so losing it won't be that much of a loss, on a third hand (don't ask me why I have three hands. It's a long story) it kind of renders both my Galar Linoone and Sylveon pointless, since it's a fairy dark type with moves that only it can leaen.

Thievel pros:
  • Faster than Impidimp's final stage, Grimmsnarl.
  • Better stats than Impidimp and its evolution Morgrem from what I've seen. Morgrem evolves into Grimmsnarl at level 42.
  • Less type overlap with Sylveon.
  • Attachment.
Thievel cons:
  • Weaker offensively (58 Atk/87 SpA vs 120 Atk/95 SpA) and frailer than Grimmsnarl.
  • More type overlap with G-Linoone.
  • Can only be a decent special attacker while Grimmsnarl can go mixed.
  • Lower amount of usable moves. While Thievul can learn things like the elemental fangs, it doesn't help it due to its lackluster attack.

Thievel pros:
  • Faster than Impidimp's final stage, Grimmsnarl.
  • Better stats than Impidimp and its evolution Morgrem from what I've seen. Morgrem evolves into Grimmsnarl at level 42.
  • Less type overlap with Sylveon.
  • Attachment.
Thievel cons:
  • Weaker offensively (58 Atk/87 SpA vs 120 Atk/95 SpA) and frailer than Grimmsnarl.
  • More type overlap with G-Linoone.
  • Can only be a decent special attacker while Grimmsnarl can go mixed.
  • Lower amount of usable moves. While Thievul can learn things like the elemental fangs, it doesn't help it due to its lackluster attack.
Yep, Impidimp's evo, is overall better, and the typing is also a better one then monodark.

I don't remember the progression of my team that well, but my current team is:
-Inteleon
-Galvantula
-Weavile (Sneasel at the time of completing the gym challenge; I think previously Nickit/Thievul, but Nickit/Thievul was in my team before one of the reformations)
-Dugtrio (I've been doing stuff to level it to the rest of my team; previously Rhydon when completing the gym challenge)
-Salazzle (was Growlithe before I saw some Salandits running around)
-Hawlucha (was Rookidee/Corvisquire/Corviknight until I had to go up against a Snorlax without any type advantage)
Because of the last gym battle, I'm thinking about reformulating my team to:
-Inteleon
-Nincada (with an everstone because I don't want to lose ground typing, and bug typing for defeating dark/ghost because of my experience in Pokémon X)
-Lapras (because Sneasel/Weavile has x4 weakness to fighting, and Lapras is usually pretty tanky from my experience with it in Pokémon X)
-Morpeko (because I want to keep the leftover dark and electric typing)
-Salazzle
-Hawlucha
I'm kinda hesitant to change my team again because of the bit of move-pool remorse (I had to give up some strong flying moves by replacing Corviknight with Hawlucha). :s

Last edited:
Ghost is not weak to Bug, it resists it.
Dark is weak to bug and fighting, but I can't use fighting against dark/ghost, which was slightly problematic when I had a battle against Sableye in X. Tbh though, I didn't know about ghost's resistance to bug until a little earlier.

It's possible I'm thinking of some other typing combo that I needed bug for because I couldn't use fighting.

Here's the team I beat the game with yesterday.
osBs5ad.jpg

So I found this cool picture on a Facebook group of cosplays for all the female PCs and it gave me an idea of playing through Sword on another profile as Dawn and using a Sinnoh-inspired team, so I was thinking a Hail-based team would be fun as Ice is my favorite type. Here's what I have so far as I'm still in the planning stages.

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Quiet
Snow Warning
-Blizzard
-Giga Drain
-Ice Shard
-Protect

Glaceon @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Snow Cloak
-Blizzard
-Shadow Ball
-Freeze-Dry
-Hyper Voice/Sleep Talk

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly
Snow Cloak
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Protect

These three are part of the Ice core, with Abomasnow being my Hail setter and both Mamoswine and Glaceon abusing Hail for extra evasion boosts.

I should make it known now that I like to take these teams through the main story but also use them online for Battle Spot Doubles or whatever the online battles are called now, hence Protect. The next three Pokemon are meant to support the Ice-types as much as possible, such as Rotom walling Fire and countering Steel-types, and then Gastrodon tanking Water hits with Storm Drain.

Gastrodon @ Wiki Berry
Modest
Storm Drain
-Scald
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Protect/Recover

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Calm
Levitate
-Overheat
-Volt Switch
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect

Togekiss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold
Serene Grace
-Air Slash
-Follow Me
-Tailwind
-Protect

I'd love some input on this team, Sinnoh-based and Hail-based are both new things to me.

My team is a mess. I keep finding new things to evolve and try out and so now I have almost 2 full teams in rotation. Unfortunately a couple even get left behind as the game progresses and I feel bad.

Currently I have
Inteleon
Boltund
Orbeetle
Polteageist
Weezing
Perrserker
Hatterene
Frosmoth
And a Cherrim for some reason lol

I had Dubwool and Toxtricity in rotation but the kinda fell out of use.

My team has a lot of type overlap but... I like them all :cry:

I ended up narrowly beating the game with:
-Hawlucha
-Morpeko
-Frosmoth
-Inteleon
-Mudsdale
-Salazzle

And I took a while to craft a possible team to use in Sword:
-Sableye
-Charizard
-Mow Rotom
-Claydol
-Lapras
-Mawile
But after running through the champion cup again with this team, I don't feel all that confident with it. :/

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom