• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sync Pair Predictions

Psytrainer

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
Since we know that every trainer will be paired with one Pokemon, I thought it'd be fun to discuss who the confirmed (and the TBC) trainers will be paired with. Here are some of my current thoughts.

May: Torchic line. The official fact sheet explicitly refers to Brendan as Norman's son. So, assuming that this game will work off a fixed canon, that means May will very likely have the starter with the type advantage.
Green/Leaf: Bulbasaur line.
Flint: Either the Chimchar or Magby line. There was a brief glimpse of Flint's partner in the trailer, but it was hard to make out. I'm kinda hoping he does get Magmortar because I don't really like the implications of him having one of the Sinnoh starters.
Calem: Froakie line.
Drayden: Druddigon. Iris is confirmed to be paired with Haxorus and I'm assuming they'll give Opelucid City's other gym leader something different to maintain uniqueness.
Archer: Houndour line.
Ryuki: Turtonator or Jangmo-o line. Turtonator is on all of his teams in USUM while Kommo-o is his last Pokemon in the gym rematch and both his Title Defense battles.

I agree with your choices (it should be Magmortar for Flint).

Kris: Chikorita line
Silver: Totodile line
Ethan: Cyndaquil line
Lyra: Marill line
Eusine: Drowzee line
Prof. Oak: Nidorino line (a reference to RGB's opening: Oak's Nidorino vs Agatha's Gengar)
Prof. Sycamore: Mega Charizard Y
Ariana: Murkrow line
Karen: Mega Houndoom
Morty: Gengar
Agatha: Mega Gengar

Last edited:
Prof. Oak: Muk or Tauros as an anime reference. Magneton for professor stereotypes. Exeguttor so Samson Oak can have Alolan Exeguttor eventually. Another option could be one of the Pokémon he's used on the game introductions.
Bugsy: Scyther.
Giovanni: Persian or Rhydon.
Hau: Alolan Raichu.
Hilbert/Hilda: Maybe Zoroark so as not to give starters to all PCs? Braviary and Mandibuzz could work too. But if they decide to use starters, Samurott to Hilbert and Emboar to Hilda.
Lillie: Clefairy. Cosmog could work but it just has a very crappy moveset.
Lyra: Meganium or Marill.
Kris: Feraligatr.
Silver: Umbreon or Crobat.
Sycamore: Skiddo or Gogoat, he uses one in the XY introduction.

Bruno: Hitmontop or Hitmonchan
Juan :Wailrein
Lucy: Seviper
Prof Birch: Linoone
Looker: Croagunk, its death is a more or less obscure fact. Another option would be Gumshoos, or whatever mon they give him in SWSH.
Bianca: Musharna or Audino.
Shauna: Chesnaught
Serena: Delphox
Grant: Tyrantrum
AZ: Floette
Lana: Araquanid
Kiawe: Alolan Marowak
Faba: Hypno

Professor Elm: Togepi. I know it's not actually his, but it is a Pokemon he is associated with. That or one of the Johto starters.

Birch: Unless it's one of the Hoenn starters, I would think either Zigzagoon or Poochyena. Because again, association.

Wally: Ralts. I'm guessing he'll use Gallade because iirc he had his ORAS appearance in the trailer.
Silver: Totodile.
Hugh: Purrloin or one of the Unova starters.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom