• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tag!! You're It!! V3: Welcome to the Garden~

@pokemoll as a fellow EVA fan, I have to ask… Have you seen the final movie, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
Apologies for taking so long to get back to this - I was on hiatus! TwT

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the final/most recent Rebuild; my boyfriend is also a massive Eva-geek and he hasn't caught up with the rest of the Rebuilds, so I'm waiting on him to binge them with me. I'm most definitely looking forward to it, though, even if I don't care for the Rebuilds as much as the original series! It's still worth it to see my kids doing their thing.

@Crisbee Donut Your icon has me curious; do you have a favourite species of bird?

@Blanc how good are you at rhythm games!? I know you've said you like maimai a lot...!
LISIA!!! Always excited to hear from youuuuu!

Gather 'round cause I'm going to go on a tangent about my history with rhythm games and how 'good' I can decipher I am holy shit here I goooo--

So, my very first dive into the rhythm game world was Project Diva for the PSP-- the very first one! I bought the imports of the first, second and extend for the PSP because I simply could not WAIT to play any game with Hatsune Miku on it at the time. this was back around like, 2010-2012 or so, so Vocaloid was nowhere near as mainstream as it is now. I even got the PS Vita version that came out... only to finally make it to english release and thus I bought it again in english. LMAO. I went HARDCORE at this game. So hardcore I even bought one of those MASSIVE arcade game pads to play it on... the really expensive ones. I'm not joking. I played on the highest difficulty I could for like every song.

This led to me becoming, as comedic as it sounds, some kind of urban legend at the local convention that happened around 2014, where I was in fact in my uniform Subway Master cosplay LMAOO. They ALWAYS brought a Project Diva machine, and given my honed skills I became a pretty much annual unforgettable presence for topping the score boards on the funny hatsune miku game, and looking like an obscure Pokemon character doing it. The only reason I'm sure this is what happened was because I started to overhear people say "No way, it's that girl again!" whenever I returned to claim my throne. LOL.

Of course, all rhythm games are rather different, so my hunger to press colorful buttons expanded beyond the Project Diva series, and with that difference also becomes a varying degree of skill. I can't remember the exact order I started playing others, but I can tell you which I have. I'd say the most that come to mind are like...

▲ Bandori/Bang Dream!
▽ Touhou Danmaku Kagura (still currently binging this one)
▲ Cytus and all forms
▽ Deemo and all forms
▲ Project Sekai (Only touched a little!)
▽ Arcaea
▲ Voez
▽ Taiko
▲ SOUND VOLTEX
▽ MUSYNX
▲ Superbeat Xonic
▽ Muse Dash
▲ Jubeat
▽ And of COURSE Maimai.

and many more I will NOT list to save us all the sanity... LOL. I tried DDR for a bit, but I have really bad foot coordination, plus I've only ever played it in cosplay-- which is super hard. I like DDR but it's definitely not one I have the stamina for as frail as I am either. LOL.

How I tend to tackle rhythm games is I often play them nonstop until I am on a fairly high difficulty. Most rhythm games these days rank their difficulties 1 (easy) - 30 (max), at least JP ones do this, which I play the most. Even rhythm games that are fundamentally the same, such as Touhou Danmaku Kagura and Bandori, I still occasionally have to practice at if only because every rhythm game has varying degrees of quality of life (looking at YOU Arcaea and Deemo.) so sometimes it takes me a second to get used to the timing differences, but usually once I get it down, I ascend the difficulties pretty swiftly. The next part of my process is finding where my 'threshold' is. Which is, essentially, what's the highest difficulty I can comfortably play on with minimal screw ups.

I've found, using the standard 1-30 difficulty rating most JP rhythm games use, I tend to cap out and my full combos vary at around... difficulties 26-28. This may make me sound really good or something, but I think I could still be way better. LOL. Namely because I'm not good at Sound Voltex, because I simply couldn't ever get used to the dials! Plus, this skill of mine pretty much only applies to the more standard rhythm games, I haven't even GOTTEN to more coordinated games like Taiko, Maimai, and Jubeat.

So... I love Maimai. But I am. pretty mediocre at it, shockingly! My skill caps out at like, 17-19 on Maimai, which is SHAMEFUL in my book. LMAOO. I sadly don't get to play it that often because it's a rarity import here, so I guess factor in a lack of practice. And also... small story time regarding it...
1654038891703.png

I have a history of underestimating rhythm games.

Whenever I load up a rhythm game for the first time, regardless of what kind it is, I'll always jump head first into the deep end, the difficulties at around 21-24, or even my standard 26-28 if I'm feeling super confident. And THIS... is exactly the mistake I made with Maimai. Maimai is an entirely DIFFERENT BEAST than most rhythm games, I can't really describe it well, but it's like, the screen is huge, and your awareness and reaction time needs to be sharp. It's also a workout slapping your hands around a circle, it's like playing Twister but you gotta slam your hands down on the spot as fast as you can LOL. So anyways, you can guess from this my first taste of Maimai was an EMBARRASSING defeat, I had completely underestimated the amount of different tactile skills it takes to wrangle this monster. But... that fact is the entire reason I fell in love with it. That and it has an ABSOLUTE BANGER playlist, literally all the classics and niche bangers I love like WAVE from Niki. So... I guess you could say I'm pretty average at the more 'hands-on' games, such as Taiko, Jubeat, and Maimai, DDR, with Sound Voltex being the weird outlier. Maaaybe I could get as good with these games if I got more time with them? But as for the standard rhythm games, I think I can give myself the credit I deserve and say I'm... pretty good?! Maybe?! Arcaea and Deemo only took me a bit because the QOL in those are abysmal, but they're also pretty standard for me (26-28), I guess, just took me a second to adapt to their funky maps. Another I reaaaaally want to try is WCCA... but it'll probably be a bit before that ever makes it overseas.

This is probably... a WAY longer answer than you wanted, Lisia! I'm so SORRY LOOOOL... I have such a weak spot for rhythm games and I just HAD to go off about it!! I hope my answer, as long winded as it was makes sense?! Somehow?! If you ever catch sight of a Subway Master ripping into the 'EXTREME modes' of any rhythm game at your arcade, it's probably me. LOL.

time to tag !!

@Orchid !! We share a lot of the same music tastes so I want to yell with you some more!! What kind of stuff do you listen to while you draw? Does it inspire certain pieces? Do you have to listen to songs with the same 'mood' as your piece or can you just put on anything? Also!! Anything you're hoping to study/currently studying? It can be anything! What kind of youtube videos are your favorites? I hope this isn't too many questions...!!

@Orchid !!
Hellooo Blanc :bulbaWave: your post above mine was a delight to read, I used to be hardcore about rhythm games and this made me reminisce about the era in which I used to play nothing but LLSIF and osu! all day LOL. Project Diva and Taiko are a lot of fun, even if I've only ever played console versions! I'm so jealous you've played these on actual machines... I used to watch videos of stuff like that in awe (especially Project Diva and Jubeat) but I've never actually seen any of them in person :cry:

We share a lot of the same music tastes so I want to yell with you some more!! What kind of stuff do you listen to while you draw? Does it inspire certain pieces? Do you have to listen to songs with the same 'mood' as your piece or can you just put on anything?
hmmmm, my answer to this probably varies depending on the day.
The stuff I listen to while I draw can be anything; it's not a necessity to match the "mood" I want to convey, but it does help a lot. Bright and/or exaggerated pieces usually urge me to play something high-tempo and kind of noisy over it (t+pazolite and 100 gecs have been recent choices) - while slower, more acoustic music, or various kinds of rock (I've been listening to a lot of Hawthorne Heights and The Used right now) can inspire more down-to-earth or emotional stuff. I've also definitely heard some songs and been like "woah I need to draw what I just saw in my mind, like, NOW", which is always a good feeling.

If I need to buckle down and focus on finishing something, I sometimes loop the same single song over and over and over; but not always. I've drawn in dead silence many a time and I'll do it again.
And finally, if I really just don't care too much, I'll probably just play some YouTube video I've already watched before in the background for noise. :P Which conveniently leads me to...

What kind of youtube videos are your favorites?
Mostly gaming stuff, but I'm flexible! I get really invested in videos about super niche topics. This post I made a while back should give you a good idea about what I like to watch! I also enjoy videos of cats doing silly things but I mostly just get those from Tumblr.

Anything you're hoping to study/currently studying?
Character design, primarily; I've been studying it for ~6 years now, and took a class on it a while back that I really enjoyed. I really hope to chase it professionally as a concept artist someday! But for now, I'm content with learning and improving however I can ^^

In my off time I also study graphic design, UI design, web design, all that jazz. I love that kind of thing a lot... but to be honest I think my approach to it might seem a bit dated, because some of the modern philosophies and trends (e.g. minimalism) can really annoy me LOL. I guess that's just what it's like being passionate about something.

I hope this isn't too many questions...!!
no, not at all! I appreciate that you thought of me!! :bulbaLove:

@Torchic W. Pip - out of curiosity, who are your favorite fictional characters not from Pokémon?
Also, is there anything happening soon that you're currently looking forward to? (it can be anything!)

@Torchic W. Pip - out of curiosity, who are your favorite fictional characters not from Pokémon?
I've got a few, but off the top of my head:

• Donald Duck
  • Daffy Duck
  • Tuxedo Sam
  • Mickey Mouse
  • Literally every character from old EPCOT
  • Kirby
  • Simon Seville
  • DAVE Seville what an icon omg
  • Literally any bird character lol

Also, is there anything happening soon that you're currently looking forward to? (it can be anything!)

Good question! I'm going on a trip for a month, and I'm super excited for that! It's also summer, meaning I'll have more time for writing and drawing!

@Blanc Favorite Ghost type Pokémon? Favorite Touhou Project character?

@Blanc Favorite Ghost type Pokémon? Favorite Touhou Project character?
Ahhh... Hitting my most critical weak spots!! I'll try not to drone about this one! Ghost-types are my absolute favorites with Psychic not far behind. Of course, I have to say Chandelure takes the top spot in my heart-- though not for the obvious reason you're probably thinking of! I always liked Chandelure before I became well... this LOL, because unlike most of the Pokemon community, I tend to be pretty fond of object-based Pokemon such as Klefki and Cofagrigus (another Ghost type I love!). Purple is my favorite color ever, and Ghost-types not only cater to my gothic aesthetics, but a good handful of them use the color purple! I also love Froslass...Sinistea... Mismagius... Duskull, Shuppet and Banette... Frillish, Pumpkaboo, Sandygast, Driftloon, Rotom-- Giratina?! There's so many good ones?! God I love Ghost-types LOL. I'll name them all at this rate. But Chandelure just has a wonderful palette, and lends itself well to being ominous...but not outright menacing. It's one of those Ghost-types that leads you into a false sense of security and I'm kind of about that. But to be honest, it really is just mostly the design and palette and my already existing attachment to object pokemon LOL. It being Ingo's main partner just ended up as a huge plus for me of course. The same can be said about Eelektross, in a similar vein. When I was younger, I drew a TON of Pokemon gijinkas, they were basically what I was known for in the community when I was a teen. When Chandelure released, it was the sort of design that lent itself really well to gijinka concepts, I feel like I could easily make so many different Chandelure designs then and now. What can I say, Gamefreak really popped off with the aesthetics of it!

Oh god oh god I love Touhou please yell with me Touhou has been in my life almost as long as Pokemon has, believe it or not, so I'm pretty old school with it. Don't let that statement fool you though, EoSD was my gateway like most everyone else in that era LOL. If you've peeked at my art, the answer is probably too obvious...! Flandre Scarlet hands down. Like every other kid too enveloped in the internet at age 13 I stumbled upon U.N. Owen Was Her? due to browsing too many Vocaloid songs, and naturally got super intrigued by who this strange girl was with multicolored wings and a catchy tune that seemed to span thousands of remixes. Eventually I found out she had a name, and my dive into Touhou went from there. So yeah, there's a bit of sentimentality in that Flandre is how I got into Touhou in the first place, but as I thiiiink I mentioned on an old blogpost of mine, there's a deeper layer to it too. I've always been super into vampires (I'm goth what can I say LOL), and I was always the... as politely as it can be put, 'out there' younger sibling, so there was a bit of attachment via relativity involved. Flandre was the first character I cosplayed! And to be honest, the Scarlet Sisters are probably the main catalyst on why I'm attached to two certain Pokemon characters... Just think about it! There's a few similarities in dynamic. Buuut! Other than my dear daughter Flan, I also really love Satori and Koishi, Yuyuko, Remilia of course, Nue, Wakasagihime, Kogasa and Keine. Mokou has a soft spot in my heart too. My memory of the characters unfortunately gets fuzzy after Double Dealing Character, as that was the last mainline game I actually played, but the newer girls are cute too!

I'd love to cosplay Flandre again tbh, but I cosplayed her waaaay back when Touhou was in its infancy in the west, so my props of Laevatin and my wings are pretty dated, need to commission and make some new ones!

ADDENDUM: Yuyuko is also a character that's close to my heart because... well, if you know the story between her and Yukari, that self-sacrificing nature is something that spoke to me a bit.

@DawningWinds I heard you did a lot of acting at a theatre! That's super cool!! Do you have any favorite roles or productions you acted in? Any special reasons absol is your favorite Pokemon?

Last edited:
I heard you did a lot of acting at a theatre! That's super cool!! Do you have any favorite roles or productions you acted in? Any special reasons absol is your favorite Pokemon?
I think my favorite role I've ever gotten to perform to be when I played Will Scarlet in Robin Hood. I hadn't gotten a lot of major parts before then, and while Will Scarlet's not exactly a lead it's probably closest I've come, and in general I really enjoyed a lot of the scenes I was involved in. I was supposed to play the Queen of Hearts in a production of Alice In Wonderland, a role that definitely would've taken the spot, playing the villain was an absolute joy in rehearsals, but unfortunately that show got cancelled due to COVID, and to add insult to injury, a separate theatre was also supposed to do a production of Alice in my area that year and it also got cancelled which felt like a giant "fuck you" from the universe.

As for Absol. No, not particularly. I just really like its concept and design and stuff.

@EternalPokéFanGirl Favorite movies that aren't from Disney?

Last edited:
@Hawthorn - favorite video game you've played in the last 5 years?
hi! My answer will always be Okami because I play it every year, but that might be cheating. . . So, Deltarune! Or Shining Pearl - getting to pretend we were rivals throughout it was a blast!

Any bands you've discovered/enjoyed recently?
Awh, geez uhm... I haven't really discovered many as of late, but I've been listening to Dashboard Confessional more often than before! Also listening to Rosemary and Garlic, but I haven't discovered them recently either - just going through more of their music.

Least favorite Pokemon type? am I annoying you by always tagging you here be honest k thx :wynaut:
you never annoy me! i always love hearing from you :bulbaLove:
I don't want to say i have a least favorite !! It isn't that I dislike any type, I think there's just ones I tend to use a lot less than others? . . .Forgive me, but it's Fighting and Steel who aren't really on a lot of my teams. They're still really good though, and it's not like I dislike them !! Plenty of cute Pokemon in both those types, and now that I think about it, I feel a little bad for neglecting them like this. . .

also, i hope you don't mind, but there's been a question I forgot to ask you today, so. . @Orchid, what're some more headcanons you have about the Pokemon world? Places, weather, cities, or things like real-life bugs and fish existing?

you never annoy me! i always love hearing from you :bulbaLove:
Wrong answer. *throws a brick*
@Orchid, what're some more headcanons you have about the Pokemon world? Places, weather, cities, or things like real-life bugs and fish existing?
I'm not sure! I've honestly never been too much of a worldbuilding guy, so it's not something I contemplate too often. Though, since Unova is based on New York where I live, I tend to have the most fun with that one - I like to think their weather can rival Sinnoh levels of cold in the winter... and the wild Purrloin form cat colonies with the Trubbish.

I don't usually subscribe to bugs and fish being a thing (trying to have regular animals exist in the Pokemon universe can get real confusing real fast IMO) - but I'll admit those random depictions of them in the early anime can be kinda funny. Pidgeotto eating a plain ol' worm from the ground, and Gastly turning into a mongoose come to mind as examples.

Hopefully you haven't been asked this before, but... @takoyaki - what, in your opinion, are the all-time best and worst things you've ever cooked? (Have you ever just had a total disaster trying to make something??)

No. Truth be told, I rarelyplay survivial mode. I have played it on a server and on a coupla modded worlds, but when I play in survivial, sooner or later I will start to not know what to do and delete the world. One the server, I usually wander, cave, explore, check a few things others have buildt and chat. I do build, but I like to do pretty much everything at my own pace, and I also need to know what to do. Otherwise it gets too intangible for me.

@FinnishPokéFan92 Have you read Pokémon Adventures?

*casts a spell to revive this thread*

@CuboneKing - how are you feeling about Scarlet/Violet so far? Anything in particular been revealed that you're interested in/looking forward to, or not so much?
(also using this tag to say I hope your day has been good so far c:)
I’ve still got some mixed feelings, though lately it’s been more positive. Still pretty sour on the graphics (though they’re a little cleaner than the first trailer), and the lack of PLA catching and some of its QoL improvements is a big bummer. But some of the recent reveals and especially the leaks have got me hyped. The starters have grown on me, as have the legendaries, and I actually love the idea of using them as bikes. The three stories concept is awesome, I hope that’s executed well. Quite annoyed at the apparent lack of gym scaling though, that kind of defeats the purpose of being able to challenge them in any order.

The ancient/future species thing is super intriguing. I’m a big fan of futuristic design motifs so there’s actually a chance I’ll get Violet instead of Scarlet, which would break a longstanding tradition. I’m really looking forward to actually seeing the designs turn out. Super excited to see the new evolutions as well, particularly those for Paldean Wooper and Bisharp. I was and still am kinda mixed on Terastal but since it was leaked that Pokémon’s tera types can be changed with an item, I’m a lot more accepting of the mechanic. So yeah, the leaks have done a lot more for my hype than the official marketing which is kinda sad lmao

And thank you I appreciate it, today’s been a little better than most of the week has. I hope you’ve had a good day too :)

@takoyaki if you could eat one fictional food item/dish, what would it be?

I’ve still got some mixed feelings, though lately it’s been more positive. Still pretty sour on the graphics (though they’re a little cleaner than the first trailer), and the lack of PLA catching and some of its QoL improvements is a big bummer. But some of the recent reveals and especially the leaks have got me hyped. The starters have grown on me, as have the legendaries, and I actually love the idea of using them as bikes. The three stories concept is awesome, I hope that’s executed well. Quite annoyed at the apparent lack of gym scaling though, that kind of defeats the purpose of being able to challenge them in any order.

The ancient/future species thing is super intriguing. I’m a big fan of futuristic design motifs so there’s actually a chance I’ll get Violet instead of Scarlet, which would break a longstanding tradition. I’m really looking forward to actually seeing the designs turn out. Super excited to see the new evolutions as well, particularly those for Paldean Wooper and Bisharp. I was and still am kinda mixed on Terastal but since it was leaked that Pokémon’s tera types can be changed with an item, I’m a lot more accepting of the mechanic. So yeah, the leaks have done a lot more for my hype than the official marketing which is kinda sad lmao

And thank you I appreciate it, today’s been a little better than most of the week has. I hope you’ve had a good day too :)

@takoyaki if you could eat one fictional food item/dish, what would it be?
fictional foods? i probably won't be able to answer this in the best way because brain empty but, i am not too sure uhmmmm...poke puffs would be nice but i bet i couldn't eat them. i think food wars' food is tasty but i haven't watched the show itself. let's say, because my brain isn't cooperating, a very spicy curry from sword/shield.

@Torchic W. Pip favorite outdoors thing to do, if there is one?

Back
Top Bottom