• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Takao Unno directing USUM

If Takao Unno directing USUM, what does this mean for USUM?

• Will it be something similar to B2W2?

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Will it be big game, because of the lack of information?

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Will it means nothing, that the game will be a cash grab to hold us over until the game come out

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StandbyForBattle

Strongest Trainer
Reaction score
Junichi Masuda has been directing main series games like RS, DP, BW, and XY, remakes like FRLG, especially producing games like Pt, HGSS, ORAS, and SM. Shigeru Ohmori have been a game designer like RS, FRLG, DPPt, HGSS, BW, and B2W2, while Shigeru Ohmori have a director of XY, ORAS, and SM. Takao Unno only have directed B2W2 appointed by Junichi Masuda. When Masuda directing the game with his "Masuda Method" it determine how good the game, so Junichi Masuda stepped back from the director chair, and Ohmori started directing XY, ORAS, and SM, since Ohmori is the successor of Masuda, I wonder if someone else who will be directing future pokemon game? Back to Takao Unno, he only directed B2W2, With him directing USUM, Will USUM be something similar to how B2W2 was? With the lack of information of USUM, Will they'll surprise us something big with USUM?

Masuda and Ohmori are probably focused on the Gen 8 Switch game(s) - so it's only natural the baton is passed on to someone else. I'm not expecting a massively new game, I expect the games will be like B2W2 in comparison to BW, only USUM probably won't be sequels, and not entirely the same as a "third version" - I'm expecting a game with a massively deviated storyline and minor location additions/updates.

I am hoping that it will be like B2W2. But I am thinking that they are much more focused on the Switch game than USUM. USUM will probably just tide us over until the Switch version.

I think it might be something similar to B2W2 or maybe they'll be big games, because they're holding information, I doubt it'll be something to hold us over till Switch. With a young director like Takao Unno, it would be nice to have someone in director's chair instead Masuda and Ohmori.

Masuda and Ohmori are probably focused on the Gen 8 Switch game(s) - so it's only natural the baton is passed on to someone else. I'm not expecting a massively new game, I expect the games will be like B2W2 in comparison to BW, only USUM probably won't be sequels, and not entirely the same as a "third version" - I'm expecting a game with a massively deviated storyline and minor location additions/updates.

To add this, my expectations would be the same regardless of who was directing the game. I'm getting the feeling this generation will be as long as Gen 5 and 6 were, so we have a few years before Gen 8 - so these games will have to be enough to at least attempt to tide players over until Gen 8 is released.

To add this, my expectations would be the same regardless of who was directing the game. I'm getting the feeling this generation will be as long as Gen 5 and 6 were, so we have a few years before Gen 8 - so these games will have to be enough to at least attempt to tide players over until Gen 8 is released.

If this gen is like 5th and 6th gen, that means 8th gen is next. That'd hardly be "a few years", that'd be 2 years at most.

And can we really say any game really "tides us over" at this point when recent games have garnered numerous complaints over too little content? I don't think that's something they particularly care about.

so these games will have to be enough to at least attempt to tide players over until Gen 8 is released.

The spin-offs are used to tide people over until the next main series games, though. I question why people are saying the next main series games, in this case, USUM, will be used to tide people over until the main series games after it, which would likely be Gen 8.

For reference, here's the spin-offs that were released worldwide between several of the main games

• Hey You, Pikachu!, TCG game, Snap, Pinball, and Stadium were released between Yellow and GS
  • Puzzle Challenge, Puzzle League, and Stadium 2 were released between GS and Crystal
  • Channel, Pinball Ruby & Sapphire, and Colosseum were released between RS and FRLG
  • Dash, XD, Trozei, PMD Red & Blue, and Ranger were released between Emerald and DP
  • Battle Revolution, PMD Time & Darkness, and Shadows of Almia were released between DP and Platinum
  • PMD Sky and Rumble were released between Platinum and HGSS
  • PokePark Wii and Guardian Signs were released between HGSS and BW
  • Rumble Blast, PokePark 2, and Conquest were released between BW and B2W2
  • PMD GTI and Rumble U were released between B2W2 and XY
  • Battle Trozei and Art Academy were released between XY and ORAS
  • Shuffle, Rumble World, Pokken, PSMD, Picross, and Go were released between ORAS and SM
I typed this list about two months ago, but now we have:
  • Magikarp Jump and Pokken Tournament DX have been/are going to release between SM and USUM

The spin-offs are used to tide people over until the next main series games, though. I question why people are saying the next main series games, in this case, USUM, will be used to tide people over until the main series games after it, which would likely be Gen 8.

For reference, here's the spin-offs that were released worldwide between several of the main games

• Hey You, Pikachu!, TCG game, Snap, Pinball, and Stadium were released between Yellow and GS
  • Puzzle Challenge, Puzzle League, and Stadium 2 were released between GS and Crystal
  • Channel, Pinball Ruby & Sapphire, and Colosseum were released between RS and FRLG
  • Dash, XD, Trozei, PMD Red & Blue, and Ranger were released between Emerald and DP
  • Battle Revolution, PMD Time & Darkness, and Shadows of Almia were released between DP and Platinum
  • PMD Sky and Rumble were released between Platinum and HGSS
  • PokePark Wii and Guardian Signs were released between HGSS and BW
  • Rumble Blast, PokePark 2, and Conquest were released between BW and B2W2
  • PMD GTI and Rumble U were released between B2W2 and XY
  • Battle Trozei and Art Academy were released between XY and ORAS
  • Shuffle, Rumble World, Pokken, PSMD, Picross, and Go were released between ORAS and SM
I typed this list about two months ago, but now we have:
  • Magikarp Jump and Pokken Tournament DX have been/are going to release between SM and USUM
Next year we'll get a pokemon main series game (Not Gen 8), probably eitther Kanto/Johto Sequel or Sinnoh Remake/Sequel, 2019 will be a break year, but we'll get a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Game on Switch (like they did for Gates to Infinity for 3DS), and 2020 we'll see Gen VIII on Switch.

Thanks but, I don't I don't play spin off games.

Thanks but, I don't I don't play spin off games.

Ok.....but just because you don't play them doesn't mean they don't exist for a reason. You may not play them, but many others do. The purpose for the side games is to tide people over. Using the argument that a main series title should do that is a little silly. In that case they should never take any years off and a game should come out every 6 months. You can't use the main games in this scenario because then you're counting down to a main game with a main game. There has to be some filler and space between them otherwise we end up with an overabundance of main series games. By doing so you lose quality. Plus people would get sick of them over time.

Ok.....but just because you don't play them doesn't mean they don't exist for a reason. You may not play them, but many others do. The purpose for the side games is to tide people over.
then they do a poor job. the sales of the side games have been laughable compared to the numbers that even third versions can push. you can't be a hold-over until the next releases if no one is buying them. it's really the remakes and third versions (+BW2.......) that do the tiding over.

then they do a poor job. the sales of the side games have been laughable compared to the numbers that even third versions can push. you can't be a hold-over until the next releases if no one is buying them. it's really the remakes and third versions (+BW2.......) that do the tiding over.

the problem is that GF shouldn't be expected to pump out a game on demand......Whether the side games do well or not doesn't 100% matter. GF will make their games and TPC will make theirs. The point is that the side games are there to give us at least something. Otherwise we'd get nothing at all in between games. Just because not everyone like the side games doesn't mean that GF should be expected to produce more than they already do. Also to your point I will agree the side games don't make nearly as much. This is most likely the reason they've gone more towards mobile games rather than releasing titles on major systems. Either way It's not the job of GF to tide over fans until they release their next big game.If they did that then the quality of their games would suffer. It's been shown in video game history that pushing too much can ruin a franchise. They already basically do yearly releases anyway so I'm not sure what the problem is. Let GF make the games they want to and that should be enough. If someone doesn't get their fill then they need to find other things to.

Let's get back on the subject, so Takao Unno only directed B2W2, but he's a graphic designer for other game. I think it does matter which director is touching the game, if it was Junichi Masuda, he would do the same method for each new generation it starts. Ohmori only directed XY, ORAS, and SM, the games turned out to be good, but he also used his own method as well. Young Director like Takao Unno would have a lot of great ideas for the next pokemon game, so I think it would matter of which person who is directing a pokemon game.

I think we also need to consider what these games are supposed to be. On one hand they could be something with a relatively new story , but on the other they could just be SM 2.0. If they're SM 2.0 then there's not a crazy amount Uno can do to make the story his. The ending might be somewhat different, but overall the same story arch will take place. On the other hand if it's a new story then I think that's where Unno will really shine. He did a great job with BW2 so I'd like to see him do another new story.

Let's get back on the subject, so Takao Unno only directed B2W2, but he's a graphic designer for other game. I think it does matter which director is touching the game, if it was Junichi Masuda, he would do the same method for each new generation it starts. Ohmori only directed XY, ORAS, and SM, the games turned out to be good, but he also used his own method as well. Young Director like Takao Unno would have a lot of great ideas for the next pokemon game, so I think it would matter of which person who is directing a pokemon game.
except it should be clear now with ORAS and SM that director doesn't really matter. (also Ohmori didn't direct XY.) with Ohmori directing SM, this is the first time a main debut pair would be directed by someone else other than Masuda since he began with RS. except aside from some flourishes that are obviously from Ohmori (such as the Riding Gear), the formula played out exactly same as if it were directed by Masuda. it seems clear that it's not director by director so much as what product needs to be made. and really, dipping back into the older games, it should be obvious that director doesn't matter (that much) given that Red through Crystal were all a product of Tajiri.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom