• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Takao Unno directing USUM

If Takao Unno directing USUM, what does this mean for USUM?

• Will it be something similar to B2W2?

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Will it be big game, because of the lack of information?

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Will it means nothing, that the game will be a cash grab to hold us over until the game come out

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So is either Masuda or Ohmori directing the game?
We don't know that yet. Even though Ohmori was in Pokenchi, it hasn't been confirmed that he will direct the games. Just like Masuda, he may just be a franchise overseer/the face of pokemon after becoming mainline director

If he does direct USUM like BW2, then maybe Poni Island will actually become a viable island in-game like the prior three.
M-maybe even neck island will become more than yours+lillie's Slice of life dating hotspot???

Welcome back Shauna! :p
Guess she was rejected by Calem and Serena. :p
I actually expected to see Shauna in SM because in XY she said she would travel to a far away region or something along these lines... Instead, we got Sina and Dexio ..

Also, still waiting for the game when Caitlin will be a champ as per her speech that maybe the next time you see her, she will be a champion somewhere. Gamefreak leaves these little foreshadow tidbits everywhere for them to use in the future if they wish so..

If he does direct USUM like BW2, then maybe Poni Island will actually become a viable island in-game like the prior three.
He might include PWT to make them game better, like he did with B2W2, I think there's a strong possibility that Takao Unno might be the director of USUM, not because of the banner in Unno's Twitter account, but with lack of info we have gotten, it follows the same concept of news with B2W2, Junichi Masuda did announced USUM, and Shigeru Ohmori did announce new Lycanroc form in Pokenchi.

He might include PWT to make them game better, like he did with B2W2, I think there's a strong possibility that Takao Unno might be the director of USUM, not because of the banner in Unno's Twitter account, but with lack of info we have gotten, it follows the same concept of news with B2W2, Junichi Masuda did announced USUM, and Shigeru Ohmori did announce new Lycanroc form in Pokenchi.
I mean, I want Unno to be the director as much as the next person does, but I don't the director has anything to do with the decision on how to market the actual games :eek:

i doubt the PWT will ever come back. it's just too much now.

i doubt the PWT will ever come back. it's just too much now.

That, and I think they also just happened to be in a really fortunate position of having already made DS sprites for four-fifths of the Gym Leaders over the course of the last few DS games. Why not throw them all in for a last DS outing?

They're not really in that kind of position here.

That, and I think they also just happened to be in a really fortunate position of having already made DS sprites for four-fifths of the Gym Leaders over the course of the last few DS games. Why not throw them all in for a last DS outing?

They're not really in that kind of position here.
The Battle Tree also has enough models of gym leaders/champions/characters overall, if they'd add some more of them, they could make a PWT.. Really, I care more about the tourny modes of the PWT moreso than seeing old characters.. I just want a battle facility that has cool and fun modes to battle >.> Frontier did it best, but yea

The Battle Tree also has enough models of gym leaders/champions/characters overall, if they'd add some more of them, they could make a PWT.. Really, I care more about the tourny modes of the PWT moreso than seeing old characters.. I just want a battle facility that has cool and fun modes to battle >.> Frontier did it best, but yea

They could certainly do that, but I wouldn't really call that a PWT, at least not in the sense of its only existing definition.

They could certainly do that, but I wouldn't really call that a PWT, at least not in the sense of its only existing definition.
Well, i'd be fine with whatever they wanna call it. I'm more attached to what frontiers and pwt represent moreso than the actual name or whatnot. After all, we all love frontier because of the different facilities and unique battle modes. People have different reasons for liking PWT, though, I guess

They could add more characters from the previous region, not saying add every single one, because it would take up the space of character models on 3DS, like you can add another region for 3DS itself, if they wanted to do something like that, they would do that on Switch.

Well, i'd be fine with whatever they wanna call it. I'm more attached to what frontiers and pwt represent moreso than the actual name or whatnot. After all, we all love frontier because of the different facilities and unique battle modes. People have different reasons for liking PWT, though, I guess
i think given the biggest criticism of the Battle Tree's "featured" trainers, i'd say most people wanted more. so while you may be okay with just a tourney style something or whatever, i think most people invested in the PWT were more interested in the previous trainer aspect, which, at this point, seems like a completely unrealistic request given that we're at some 50+ models to make and animate...minimum.

i think given the biggest criticism of the Battle Tree's "featured" trainers, i'd say most people wanted more. so while you may be okay with just a tourney style something or whatever, i think most people invested in the PWT were more interested in the previous trainer aspect, which, at this point, seems like a completely unrealistic request given that we're at some 50+ models to make and animate...minimum.
Yeah, that's why I said, I believe people want the PWT for varying reasons, but everyone wants the frontier for the same reason.

TBH I'm sure people complained mostly because they featured like 8 characters and didn't even include a (proper) representative from all regions. They don't have to feature all gym leaders/e4/champs from all 7 regions to satisfy the fans, they just need to need to have a wider selection and more memorable characters than..say...Wally, lol (even Grimsley is arguable). I believe Johto has 0 characters? Kalos has Sina/Dexio which are also....well..not the go-to for memorable characters, I guess.

All in all, I am sure they could work something out, even if it's only a middle ground

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY, speaking of pokemon directors..
Here's How Game Freak Designs Pokémon Creatures

This article kind of speaks about the making of pokemon designs.. Part of it pretty much says that the current director of the games ultimately has the last word in regards to approving pokemon designs, which ones make it into the current games and how many make it.

That said, I guess we can blame Ohmori for Alola having an effective wild dex smaller than even Kalos? ... (not to mention approving the infamous incineroar design)..

I mean i know it doesn't have to mean anything for the future pokemon generations with Ohmori taking over as main director (Masuda directed XY with its small dex but prior to Kalos, we had a pattern of odd-number generations having at least 120-130 pokemon and even number gens having up to 100) but I can't deny I'm starting to worry that we'll never have a big dex again..

Last edited:
not to mention approving the infamous incineroar design)
Incineroar is charming on its own, but at first I was spouted by hate after seeing this after the abominations Emboar and Delphox were (those were the first time I didn't have a fire starter as mine from that region. No... not first time. I was pretty divided in half when torchic and treecko were there, but the Unova-Kalos were the first games where there was absolutely no point for me to like in the fire starter).

I'd give him more flak for not exploring Incineroar's design further. I for one believe that the heel concept could be pulled off in a manner as to not anger the fanbase. Personally, I'd add a curious ring master theme to it, and make it a muscular quadruped who attacks with flame ribbons.

Here's a prototype (incomplete) Incineroar quadruped form made by me which I never managed to finalise...Screenshot
Screenshot

Incineroar is charming on its own, but at first I was spouted by hate after seeing this after the abominations Emboar and Delphox were (those were the first time I didn't have a fire starter as mine from that region. No... not first time. I was pretty divided in half when torchic and treecko were there, but the Unova-Kalos were the first games where there was absolutely no point for me to like in the fire starter).

I'd give him more flak for not exploring Incineroar's design further. I for one believe that the heel concept could be pulled off in a manner as to not anger the fanbase. Personally, I'd add a curious ring master theme to it, and make it a muscular quadruped who attacks with flame ribbons.

Here's a prototype (incomplete) Incineroar quadruped form made by me which I never managed to finalise...Screenshot
Screenshot
Ha. You and me both. Been picking fire starters up until Hoenn.. Except I never liked Blaziken, it didn't even look like a rooster to me. I hesitated between Mudkip and Treecko though. Picked up the fire starter again in Sinnoh, but Unova and Kalos? Ugh, no way.

Was hesitating between Litten and Rowlet until it was confirmed the final evolution leaks were real...
That concept is so much nicer than what we got, I don't even care that Incineroar is bipedal, I care about the fact it's another muscular wrestler and I'm sick of those (I also simply find it u-g-l-y). It's a non-fighting type that should have been fighting because its concept is the same crap as the actual fire fighters before it.. I think that's what pisses most people off anyway
(I'm picking Litten in USUM and it's going to stay a permanent Torracat with eviolite)

But that aside, we still nothing about who directs USUM..as it stands, Unno is still the only one with an USUM banner and with USUM in his twitter intro.. Naturally, it means nothing in regards to confirming he directs the games but.. it's all we have and I still find it stupidly ridiculous that gameinformer didn't bother to ask about the current upcoming games when going to interview Gamefreak >.>

Yeah, that's why I said, I believe people want the PWT for varying reasons, but everyone wants the frontier for the same reason.

TBH I'm sure people complained mostly because they featured like 8 characters and didn't even include a (proper) representative from all regions. They don't have to feature all gym leaders/e4/champs from all 7 regions to satisfy the fans, they just need to need to have a wider selection and more memorable characters than..say...Wally, lol (even Grimsley is arguable). I believe Johto has 0 characters? Kalos has Sina/Dexio which are also....well..not the go-to for memorable characters, I guess.

All in all, I am sure they could work something out, even if it's only a middle ground

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY, speaking of pokemon directors..
Here's How Game Freak Designs Pokémon Creatures

This article kind of speaks about the making of pokemon designs.. Part of it pretty much says that the current director of the games ultimately has the last word in regards to approving pokemon designs, which ones make it into the current games and how many make it.

That said, I guess we can blame Ohmori for Alola having an effective wild dex smaller than even Kalos? ... (not to mention approving the infamous incineroar design)..

I mean i know it doesn't have to mean anything for the future pokemon generations with Ohmori taking over as main director (Masuda directed XY with its small dex but prior to Kalos, we had a pattern of odd-number generations having at least 120-130 pokemon and even number gens having up to 100) but I can't deny I'm starting to worry that we'll never have a big dex again..
GF said that they don't want the Pokémon roster to hit one-thousand because that'd be a bit much so that's why the amount of new mons have shrunk. Also Incineroar was based on Sugimori's childhood hero Tiger Mask which is a famous Heel ( hence its dark typing). .

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom