• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Takeshi Shudo's Blogs

If she didnt had much of a purpose,than why writers even bothered giving her goal,having her compete in Whirl Cup or for that matter inclkuding her in show in first place?Why he made her likeable character,giving her personality and ambitions.
So they should make her unlikeable character with no personality specially instead?

As for his statement how there wasnt romance in this show.I may not be a shipper but i cant deny how Misty/Kasumi showed romantic affection toward Ash in Kanto and OI.Hell even in Johto there were some moments which implied this pretty obviously like when she was jealous at Macy when she was around Ash at Johto league.
He never said that there wasn't romance in this show. He just didn't want anything serious between Kasumi and Satoshi, as they're main characters. If Satoshi fell in love, Pokemon would be no longer Pokemon as that would affect its course and goal.

Kasumi was meant to appeal to girls, that's why she was romantic and that could also explain her "childish crush" (as Shudo called it) towards Satoshi.
Because he couldn't think of any other excuse for Kasumi's existence in the show, he made her living somewhat dependable of Satoshi. If he didn't exist in the show, she wouldn't exist either. It was her self-existence that was weak, and he didn't want a weak character, but a character that would be interesting by herself, not because of being by side of other character and her interactions with him. Kasumi's existence was all about "I'm here, because Satoshi's here". I'm sorry if I can't explain his point of view better.

If he didnt wanted romance in this show,its his fault that he included some things which leaded toward fanbase missundertanding his intensions.
He's aware of it, and feels sorry. He never thought that Pokeshipping would become this popular.

New head writer is obviously better as Pokemon Advance and DP showed with improvements they made..
There was no official head writer for AG. Tomioka was kind of unofficial one, but I don't really know what it means, besides him writing the most important episodes.

Thing is that Shudo had opportunity to give Misty more of a role doing more with her.He gave her plots like Togepi,goal of becoming water pokemon master etc,its just he almost never did somewthing with them making notable progression with character.Fact that her goal didnt even started to be expanded until middle of johto(Whirl cup)says alot.
He was no longer a series constructor in mid Jouto, so I think it explains a lot.

I love the fact that there's finally a perminant tranlation for these's blogs. I hope the discussion can remain on topic.

Wonder if we'd have ever got really interesting character like Shinji or Harley if Shudo hadn't pushed the interesting TR stance forward. They too seem to be far more popular with older fans.

So they should make her unlikeable character with no personality specially instead?

Im not saying that,but its kinda sad to hear how low opinion ex head witer had about Mistys character,not trying to strenghten her role in this show having a chance to do it.

Because he couldn't think of any other excuse for Kasumi's existence in the show, he made her living somewhat dependable of Satoshi. If he didn't exist in the show, she wouldn't exist either. It was her self-existence that was weak, and he didn't want a weak character, but a character that would be interesting by herself, not because of being by side of other character and her interactions with him. Kasumi's existence was all about "I'm here, because Satoshi's here". I'm sorry if I can't explain his point of view better.

And whose fault that exactly was that Mistys existence in anime didnt had stronger justification?From head writer himself who admitted how he regrets of not giving Misty/Kasumi more of a role.

Writers afterall did gave her some plots being centered around her later on like Togepi,her complex of inferiority which was caused by older sisters,her goal of water pokemon master but problem is that they nevr focused much on it.They had opoprtunity to progress her more,but thhey passed on it.

He was no longer a series constructor in mid Jouto, so I think it explains a lot.

However if Shudo wasnt the one who was responsible for series construction in mid of Johto,than i guess whoever came into his place proved being capable of doing more wih Mistys character as Whirl islands showed starting to expand on her goal little more actively.
But i guess reason why in mid Johto he probably didnt do much with Misty either was because of already being planned that either her or Team Rocket gets the boot.

Last edited:
Thank-you for the links, great articles^_^

I'm glad they kept team Rocket, I personally think their better characters and I like them better then Misty.
I believe it was the right decision seeing as they are more popular then Misty now even if their fans aren't as vocal about it^_^

I have to say thanks for jessierocketka and Musashi for this.

What I wonder most is though, does Takeshi Shudo makes any mention about Brock's role in his blog entries?

I have to say thanks for jessierocketka and Musashi for this.
You're welcome :)

What I wonder most is though, does Takeshi Shudo makes any mention about Brock's role in his blog entries?
I've read only several of these articles, but so far, I haven't seen any mention about Takeshi in particular...

I've read only several of these articles, but so far, I haven't seen any mention about Takeshi in particular...

Too bad though,because im definitely interested in seeing how writers viewed Brocks role in show at that time.

p.s.Despite news not being very pleasant,i must thank you for shedding some light into the dark providing answers to things which were left enshroud in mystery for a very long time.

I think I read this a while ago... but wait, they had to choose if they'll replace Misty or the TRio? does that mean they considered Ash/Misty/Brock in Hoenn with a new trio of Team Magma/Aqua instead of the TRio? I wonder how AG would've been if they'd do that... and what would happen with Contests... if Misty's role would get bigger, if she'd somehow turn into a Coordinator... and how would it affect the DP series eventually... it's really interesting to think about it

It's really... Interesting to see a former writer bash Kasumi and Pokéshipping so much.

It kinda makes me feel bad about the fans.

I didn't see that as bashing. Just confirmation that two characters would never get together on the show as romance would take away from what the series was. This is why shipping died in Johto.

As for them talking about Misty's role being largely depending on Ash, it's true. Why do you think in Johto arc Misty was barely focused on? Take the shipping out of the picture, and Misty was just there to fill out the token female role.

jessierocketka and Musashi, you're awesome for doing all of this.

I really wonder, if Shudo was allowed his invision of the Rocket's to go fully ahead and it was more of a 'family animé' would I have ever watched it in the first place, would more of us be here commenting on the episodes? Would there be less "the animé sucks" comments?

I'm quite glad that the Rockets have remained considering his love for them, it sort of "respects his wishes" in a way. Would love to see his thoughts on DP Rockets compared to AG Rockets. The Misty one was a bit unsettling actually, I always assumed that writers would like their characters (I've only ever read something like these blogs once before for a series).

I kinda want Tomioka to do something like this, but it sounds as if he'd have to be out of the job to do so and I don't want that xD

As for them talking about Misty's role being largely depending on Ash, it's true. Why do you think in Johto arc Misty was barely focused on? Take the shipping out of the picture, and Misty was just there to fill out the token female role.

We can thank that to Shudo who basically screwed up.MIsty had potential to prosper definitely,she had plots and goals but unfortunately writers didnt focused much on it missing opportunity to strenghten her position in this show,which resulted with said character leaving with no foreshadowing with story never metting ending due to lack of preparation putting her on first bus when opportunity arised.
If they could go back in time,im sure they would make sure to fix their defaults.

And some people are actually wondering why her fanbase is unsatisfied.

The Misty one was a bit unsettling actually, I always assumed that writers would like their characters (I've only ever read something like these blogs once before for a series).

I kinda want Tomioka to do something like this, but it sounds as if he'd have to be out of the job to do so and I don't want that xD

We dont know what are opinions from new writers and older ones about Misty.We only know how former head writer feeled about her,and i doubt they didnt liked her.Otherwise they wouldnt keep her for 5 years in show,giving her some specials with chronicles and cameos.

This is a very interesting insight on the creation of TR. It would seem evident that they still think TR should be important, and it explains a lot about why they're the most developed characters in the show. The most important insight on the show as a whole here is that they didn't intend for it to be too complicated, it's supposed to be simplistic, which most of us had guessed. With all that they said about Misty, I am also intrigued as to what they think of Brock. I think everything he said about Misty was essentially true, although I was shocked to find out that for AG, it was her or TR. I think they ultimately made the right choice, even if it was one that we would not have made at the time. It makes me wonder if that is another reason why they rather replace the female character. Another question that shall be unanswered...

Very,very interesting read Musashi,thanks a lot!:D

Through there are a few things I greatly disagree with Shudo,(saying that they "had to do the characters as stereotypes so that kid could understand" or in other words,they had to do them as crap cous he thinks kids are a crappy audience....thats the same ecxact mentality that creates shovelwere games no one buys("Xbox Family games" for example) or those boring shows Disney does this days that fade into obscurity.Kids understand more stuff than you might think,and Kids are not as easy to please as some think).

Something that caught my attention was this comment
He also said that out of all characters in the show , Kasumi's existence was the least justified. She was there to draw attention of girls, because anime with boys only would be "tasteless" for them.

where he states that Misty´s purpose was,indeed,to attract the attention of girls,yet doesnt this clash with that infamious interview where a writer stated that girls are only there for eye candy?

And some people are actually wondering why her fanbase is unsatisfied.

I am wondering that a lot more now.You have in front of your eyes Misty wasn't seen as an important character on the show(well,at last it seems as if anyone but Team roket was important in their eyes.Haha).

You have right here the prove that Misty is seriously overrated in here.Misty departure is not the reason why ratings declined (As some fanatics were claiming in that one thread),quite the opposite.As the show keept airing, the ratings started declining(this happened while Misty was on the show,not after)so they thought the best idea was to change things around.

I am wondering that a lot more now.You have in front of your eyes Misty wasn't seen as an important character on the show(well,at last it seems as if anyone but Team roket was important in their eyes.Haha).

Her fans are unsatisfied because writers had low opinion of her,didnt developed her enough,left plots going for her unfinished with never meeting much development in first place,later on being replaced with lot of unused potential which was big mistake in my opinion.
Instead of giving her more of a role,they choosed easier way by ditching her out like garbage,later on reducing her to well nothing,like she never existed in firest place.

You have right here the prove that Misty is seriously overrated in here.

Overrated???Hardly,pointing out character qualities is not overrated.Same cant be said about some other characters though,who are receiving both deserved and undeserved credit.

Misty departure is not the reason why ratings declined (As some fanatics were claiming in that one thread),quite the opposite.As the show keept airing, the ratings started declining(this happened while Misty was on the show,not after)so they thought the best idea was to change things around.

Nonne ever said how Misty was the only reason,but after she left this resulted in certain group of people leaving this show because of this which instantly means less viewers which reflects on ratings aswell.I myself met some of them who left pokemon anime solely because of that.

True ratings started dropping in Johto,but i was talking about things which took place after Johto league ended.

Last edited:
Pokeshipping got trolled lol.

Nah not really. No Shipping Is canon, it's just about how we perceive relationships, and Kasumi had the most shipping like moments (not just the dub)

It's all about the fanbase interpretation.

He was a bit harsh on her...screw him, he's gone now anyway. I'm sure in hindsight he would have reconsidered his approach if he'd known just how strongly the fanbase felt about her.

Her fans are unsatisfied because writers had low opinion of her,didnt developed her enough,left plots going for her unfinished with never meeting much development in first place,later on being replaced with lot of unused potential which was big mistake in my opinion.
Instead of giving her more of a role,they choosed easier way by ditching her out like garbage,later on reducing her to well nothing,like she never existed in firest place.

I dont care about this "wasted potential".I care about what was show on screen.What actually happened.Btw,I love how you people always talk shit about the writers,"they are incompetent!"some shout.You should be more grateful,after all,is thanks to them Misty and everyone exists in the first place,is thanks to them that people can enjoy this series,that I'm sure,most regular users here in this forum enjoy for free.

Overrated???Hardly,pointing out character qualities is not overrated.Same cant be said about some other characters though,who are receiving both deserved and undeserved credit.

Yes.Overrated.We call something overrated when people make a big deal out of something that isn't worth the trouble.Some Fanatics said that Misty skills were "Above that of Ash".She wasn't presented like this in the show at all.So why do people say this?She wasn't the focus.Her existence isn't vital in the show(What is vital are the pokemon,the existence of a vivid world,and in Takeshi Shudo´s opinion,whose I care more about than some user in an internet forum,Team Rocket is the other vital aspect of the show)like some people claim.If it was,then how is the show still going strong?

I will tell you why.Because as Takeshi Shudo said Her existence,was one the weakest.Her character wasnt flashed because in an anime like pokemon,were the purpose of the story is flash a new,vivid colorfull fictional universe,something micro like how one character,who was intended just to attract girls simply as that, isnt essential.They could replace Misty with someone else because her intended function could be filled by anyone,as long as that someone was a girl.

Why make millions threads about Misty?She is no longer o nthe show.Why not talk about other stuff,like,what is actually happening.

Also.They are fictional characters.They aren't alive and arent persons.There is not such a thing as "Undeserved credit"

Nonne ever said how Misty was the only reason,but after she left this resulted in certain group of people leaving this show because of this which instantly means less viewers which reflects on ratings aswell.I myself met some of them who left pokemon anime solely because of that.

Because just saying "Oh yeah,I know some people who left because misty left!" doesn't prove anything,nor does it reflect the reality.
If you say "Yeah Misty was one of the reasons why the show ratings declaimed!",that statement holds no value if you don't show anything that proves.I want the official rating numbers,I want official interviews,I want the ratings numbers of the specials done in CN.I want something that solidifies that statement.

I can go and tell you that everybody I knew back in the day,all my companions at school,they watched the show because of the pokemon,because it was fun seeing a cartoon and being able to be immersed in that colorful world,both in games as the heroes themselves,and in the anime,as spectators.And all those people stopped watching because :

A-Pokemon wasn't a "trend" anymore
B-They out-grew both the games and the series.

Yet this doesn't get us anywhere does it?Anyone can go and give anecdotes about their childhood,but this doesn't prove anything.

This is the problem with message forums,people go out there just thinking about stuff without actual proves,without knowing how stuff really is.

Last edited:
I think they mean main character shippings. :p

Looks like Shudo gave TR way too much importance than any other of the writers did and he was bitter because of that in the end, or am I getting the wrong kind of vibe from his words?

Naah,I think he was just bitter couse he doesn't work in the show anymore so he cant decide where it will go...You know it kinda remains me to the previous director for the Haruhi Suzumiya series and the first 2 episodes of Lucky star,Yamamoto Yutaka,who started to publicly trash-talk Kyoto animation after he was fired(or renounced?).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom