• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Takeshi Shudo's Blogs

Yes.Overrated.We call something overrated when people make a big deal out of something that isn't worth the trouble.

You can say the same thing about May or Dawn fans.

Some Fanatics said that Misty skills were "Above that of Ash".She wasn't presented like this in the show at all.

Sure Ash is more skilled,but in his beginning days,Misty had more experience than he did aswell having more knowleadge about water types having advantage over him in water field.

Her existence isn't vital in the show(What is vital are the pokemon,the existence of a vivid world,and in Takeshi Shudo´s opinion,whose I care more about than some user in an internet forum,Team Rocket is the other vital aspect of the show)like some people claim.If it was,then how is the show still going strong?

To fans she was vital,acting like some sort of coach aswell being there for moral support along with Brock helping that Ash grows as trainer, providing comic relief.She may have not had enough focus,but its undeniable she did some things which were important having notable achievements.

No matter what is being said,to fans she will always remain important,appreciating what she brought and done for this show.

I will tell you why.Because as Takeshi Shudo said Her existence,was one the weakest.

That was his mistake,since he could have made her role stronger,admitting himself how he should have done that.
Fact is that Misty wasnt developed enough,with her plos being barely touched never getting ending nor much progress which was solely writers fault.

Why make millions threads about Misty?She is no longer o nthe show.Why not talk about other stuff,like,what is actually happening.

If your hoping that people will just forgett about Misty not mentioning her anymore than im sorry but your in denial.
Misty will always remain one of most popular characters ever existing in this show,being part of iconic original trio who made this show popular in first place.That cant be changed,and Misty will never be forgotten.

Because just saying "Oh yeah,I know some people who left because misty left!" doesn't prove anything,nor does it reflect the reality.
If you say "Yeah Misty was one of the reasons why the show ratings declaimed!",that statement holds no value if you don't show anything that proves.

First giving links to other sites is not allowed,and second if you doubt in authenticy of my words you can always do research for yourself to see what was real state of things.

Naah,I think he was just bitter couse he doesn't work in the show anymore so he cant decide where it will go...You know it kinda remains me to the previous director for the Haruhi Suzumiya series and the first 2 episodes of Lucky star,Yamamoto Yutaka,who started to publicly trash-talk Kyoto animation after he was fired(or renounced?).

But Shudo retired, he wasn't fired like Yamamoto Yutaka. So I think it's mostly because this Namae-san person he mentions in one of the blogs didn't agree with most of his views about Team Rocket and turned them into the boring "let's steal Pokemon/get thunderbolted and beat the crap out of" gimmick they became later in the series.

Pokemon Fan: this isn't a discussion of Misty, it's about Shudo's blogs. Don't turn this thread into another Misty debate, because it'll most likely get closed if that happens.

No offense to Misty fans, I'm glad they choose Team Rocket over her.
They just add a lot of comical side to the show, there some of my favorite characters. I'm glad they'll be on the show as long as Ash too.
And I heard of this interview but I could never find it, I was never the biggest Misty fan, in fact she's my least favorite of the females, but ouch LOL.

But Shudo retired, he wasn't fired like Yamamoto Yutaka. So I think it's mostly because this Namae-san person he mentions in one of the blogs didn't agree with most of his views about Team Rocket and turned them into the boring "let's steal Pokemon/get thunderbolted and beat the crap out of" gimmick they became later in the series.

Hm...well,I guess that makes sense.Who is that person anyway?The supervisor?

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the articles. :)

As for what Shudo thinks of the show now, jessierocketka mentioned something about it in this post.

He mentioned before that Pokemon became more children-oriented after he left. I think it may have something to do with it.
He originally meant the Rockets to be appealing to the adults. That's why he decided they would be beautiful people, who, in spite of being clumsy criminals, could teach a lot about life. He didn't want them to become the main comic reliefs of the series, someone who's doing nothing but constantly failing. He was even against the idea for the episode's plot that would involve Team Rocket trying to steal Pokemon of the day and getting blasted off in the end to become the standard of anime. He was trying to persuade to other writers to think of more ambitious plots, but they were reluctant and keep on saying that it's easier to write an episode with a draft like this. And he couldn't do much about it.

And after he was gone, in AG it became even worse. I don't know what he thinks of DP alone (because, really... TR never got this much of sense of existence like in DP)... He's all the time referring to "current episodes". It's weird how he never mentioned (unless I missed it) Musashi's contests, too. He overally acts like a father who lost his parental rights and now is secluded somewhere, being lost in his memories and missing his children, deeply convinced that since no one cares about them as much as him, their situation got worse. I really feel sorry for him when he gets sentimental about the past, especially with the Rockets.

It'll be very interesting to see what all this is about after more articles get translated. It also seems like Tomioka is able to actually get the other writers to do things the way he wants.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying the articles too, my work wasn't in vain :D
Edit: And thank you Musashi for archiving my posts. I keep forgetting what I said myself xD;

I think they mean main character shippings. :p

Looks like Shudo gave TR way too much importance than any other of the writers did and he was bitter because of that in the end, or am I getting the wrong kind of vibe from his words?
No, it's exactly the opposite. He was bitter because he could give them only minor roles that is reduced to showing up and being beaten up, ending every episode with a blast-off. The other writers were fond of the idea for show to have "one pattern" of the episodes, because it made the writing easy for them so they didn't really listen when Shudo was advising them to get more creative. After all, Omae-sama liked "one pattern" too, and he was superior to Shudo. And he ended up being bitter, because he felt too weak himself. That was one of the reasons why he left.

Last edited:
This is all really interesting, thanks for translating it.

Too bad Shudo didn't get his way and TR did become comic relief with a single pattern...sometimes, I'd like to see them do something else.
And, yeah. I completely agree with Entry #2. Kasumi didn't really have goals or anything, so she was kind of dispensable. TR did make for the better choice.

Too bad Shudo didn't get his way and TR did become comic relief with a single pattern...sometimes, I'd like to see them do something else.

But they do. DP is all about the Rockets doing something besides getting blasted off every episode. I really hope Shudo pays attention to DP, because Tomioka is doing exactly what he wanted.

That was all very interesting info. It sucks that Shudo didn't want TR to be comic relief villains yet because of the writers' laziness, they turned them into comic relief anyways. But as Musashi said, TR has seemingly turned down the comedy switch at least in some aspects (such as Jessie's contests). They can be taken a lot more seriously now that Jessie got Top 4 in a GF which was pretty amazing seeing as she didn't even get one ribbon in Kanto or Hoenn.

Maybe in the BW series they can development them even further and maybe make them even more "hardcore." I like TR but I think it'd be nice to see them participate in more tournaments and be more involved in things rather than watching in the background or trying to steal a Pokemon. DP fixed this a bit but hopefully BW takes this further. I don't think they necessarily have to completely lose their funny qualities but just make them more menacing I guess. Though all of this might just be wishful thinking on my part...

At any rate, I also thought it was interesting to read that he was choosing between TR and Misty. I think choosing Misty was ultimately the better choice because if she was still around, would Drew and Harley even exist? Or any of the contests/rivals May had in AG? Misty is my favorite girl character but I loved May's rivals also. I think the really hardcore Misty fans need to understand that some good things did come out of Misty's departure and if she stayed, what would the anime be like now?

I don't think some people look at the entire picture. Sure, Misty leaving was depressing at first but think of all the positive things that came from that as well.

No offense to Misty fans, I'm glad they choose Team Rocket over her.

I'd have been upset if they'd ditched TR too. Although I'd have rather they'd kept Kasumi >.>

But Pokemon wouldn't work without TR somehow...

I'm glad everyone's enjoying the articles too, my work wasn't in vain :D
Edit: And thank you Musashi for archiving my posts. I keep forgetting what I said myself xD;

No, it's exactly the opposite. He was bitter because he could give them only minor roles that is reduced to showing up and being beaten up, ending every episode with a blast-off. The other writers were fond of the idea for show to have "one pattern" of the episodes, because it made the writing easy for them so they didn't really listen when Shudo was advising them to get more creative. After all, Omae-sama liked "one pattern" too, and he was superior to Shudo. And he ended up being bitter, because he felt too weak himself. That was one of the reasons why he left.

In other words Omae-san made him feel powerless because in the end he didn't have a say on how the show would work despite him being the series constructor.

We can safely say Omae-san is responsible for all the screw ups with the characters: not giving Kasumi or Takeshi decent development, making Satoshi grow as a trainer but lose most of his interesting quirks and making Pocket Monsters become formulaic and boring after Orange Islands, even though I enjoyed a good share of Jouto episodes.

However, it's interesting to see how Tomioka shares some of his views but managed to deviate from the patterns previously mentioned. Is it possible Omae-san got fired or resigned at some point during AG?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tomioka was one of the main guys of AG prior to taking charge fully in DP.

He wrote most of May's contest episodes and both her Grand Festivals. Tomioka basically created the entire Contest arc and its characters.

Its interesting to note why they kept Brock when they decided to write out Misty. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if both Misty and Brock left at the end of Johto...and AG had some new extra guy there along with Ash/May/Max.

If Brock really is gone for the BW series, I really hope we get some indication as to why he was finally dropped.

It can't be that they realize he doesn't do much anymore, because for a large chunk of Johto and AG, Brock was just as ignored prior to DP.

I'm not exactly up to date with the staff, I'll admit. Who's "Omae-san"? Because when I hear that, I don't hear a name, I hear the slang term for "You people" said in an angry tone of voice.

EDIT:
Just been shown the quote here, and thought I'd add this bit.
"I don’t know whether to say it’s a luck or not, nor whether the reason was that Team Rocket were villains, but it seemed that always complaining producer whose voice was the most influential, nicknamed Omae-sama didn’t regard them as important."

Now...personally, I'd want to see the kanji there to be sure, but I think that's not a producer. I mean...seriously. Always complaining (blank) whose voice was the most influential...that sounds like a very bitter description of the fans to me.

Last edited:
If Shudo only stayed with the anime till mid-Johto, how was he behind the decision process to either write out TR or Misty during late-Johto? He was still there at the end?

He steped down as series constructor around the third movie, but this was the last episode he wrote.

They planed AG long in advance, so I'm guessing he put his input in when that was being developed and then left.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom