• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Takeshi Shudo's Blogs

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
Takeshi Shudo, for those who don't know, is the former head writer of the anime. He did the series constitution for the original series up until mid Jouto, and has recently finished up a series of blog entries where he talked about his experiences, and the thought process that went into making the anime. jessierocketka has been translating a few entries for the Rocketshippers, but what would be really helpful is if someone who is fully fluent in Japanese could look through and translate all of the Pokemon related ones. As you'll see in the examples below, there's some very interesting revelations.

http://www.freewebs.com/rocketshipper/takeshishudosblogs.htm

Here is an archive of the few that have been translated so far. I highly encourage everyone to at least check out the first one, as that contains the most interesting information on the series in general. It's extremely long but trust me, it's worth reading.

As for my thoughts on them, I have to wonder if Atsuhiro Tomioka (the current series constructor) thinks the same as Shudo when it comes to the Rockets. Anyone who's been keeping up with the Shinou League knows just how much screen time they're getting, and I wonder if it's because he and the rest of the staff agree that they make the show, and should have as much screen time as possible?

It's also interesting learning just how involved the TRio's VAs are; improvising lines and wanting to say the motto every episode. I have to wonder if this Omae-sama person stuck around in AG, because the Rockets really weren't treated very well at all back then IMO.

I also love how Shudo wanted Pokemon to be a family anime and hated it when the other writers took the easy way out when writing scripts. You really wonder what the show would've been like if he had gotten his way more often.

Last edited:
The first entry makes me wonder what would have happened to the anime if the writers went on ahead and gave the protagonists various and interesting personalities. Would the anime have crashed and burnt because the kids couldn't relate to Ash & co.? Just how unique would the characters have been? If Ash had a super unique personality, would he be able to carry the show on his own shoulders? I also wonder if the reason Shudo(and maybe Tomioka) like Team Rocket so much because they get more creative freedom in writing out their plots and lines. Sometimes I think the writers have more fun with the contest episodes because they can really mix it up while with Ash's storyline, they have to keep a little closer to the games.

What did Shudo mean by wanting it to be more of a "family" anime? I haven't read all the entries yet, and the thought process confuses me a little. Did he want more pokemon-human interactions or for more human-human interactions to make them more like a family?

It's also really interesting that he didn't actually want romance amongst the kids. I guess that ties in with him wanting the anime to be more family-oriented too?

Questions, questions, so many new questions I now have /o/

EDIT: By the way, thanks for organizing all of this information(and to jessierocketka who translated it). It's like a goldmine and we finally have some insights as to what the writers are thinking

Last edited:
What did Shudo mean by wanting it to be more of a "family" anime?

I believe he means a show that's aimed at the entire family, not just kids. He also seems upset that, in his view, the show has become kiddier over the years.

I haven't read all the entries yet, and the thought process confuses me a little. Did he want more pokemon-human interactions or for more human-human interactions to make them more like a family?

The only other ones are more about the Rockets and Kasumi. We'd need someone to look at his other entries to see if he explains it more.

It's also really interesting that he didn't actually want romance amongst the kids. I guess that ties in with him wanting the anime to be more family-oriented too?

It's also not really what the show is about. Too many spices spoil the broth, or something like that.

Oh, I see. So he wanted the anime to be able to cross the generation gap and be able to resonate with people of all ages the way, say...Pixar films do. Now I wish Shudo had more say because it sounds like more Pokemon episodes could have had a 'timeless' quality, so no matter what age you are, you can enjoy them. When I rewatch some of the episodes I enjoyed as a kid, I have a hard time enjoying them now as a teenager.

It's also not really what the show is about. Too many spices spoil the broth, or something like that.
That too. I never thought/wanted romance to play a part in the show, so it's nice to see the writers view it the same way.

Pokeshipping got trolled lol.

But, yeah they are some interesting articles. I remeber when I first saw this I was a bit surprised how harsh they were on Misty's character in Entry 2.

I love how passionate he is about the Rockets. The way he talks about them, they feel like real people.

It really is something, since Team Rocket are the only characters who will probably never leave the show until Ash does. Its almost as if the other writers keep them in permanently out of respect to him.

Does Tomioka have any blogs? One thing I always wanted to read is how the decision to implement Contests and all the coordinator characters came about.

Does Tomioka have any blogs? One thing I always wanted to read is how the decision to implement Contests and all the coordinator characters came about.

Not that I know of. I have the feeling Shudo was able to write what he did was due to the fact he no longer works for the show. I doubt Tomioka would be allowed to share the same amount of information Shudo did.

Not that I know of. I have the feeling Shudo was able to write what he did was due to the fact he no longer works for the show. I doubt Tomioka would be allowed to share the same amount of information Shudo did.

I was thinking about that too. These writers/animators never say to much when they're still working on the show, do they?

I always love "behind the scenes" type stuff, and it would be great if the writers would reveal why they handled the characters the way they did, why they chose certain Pokemon to be on the cast, etc.

This goes to show you that interview WPM did with that former storyboard artist was just a quick ramble from that guy, and not intended to be a serious interview.

It's also interesting learning just how involved the TRio's VAs are; improvising lines and wanting to say the motto every episode.
In the entry I'm now translating, it turned out that they didn't improvise as much in the end, because when the show is arleady animated, the ammount of seconds for one line is arleady tightly planned according to script so they couldn't be really spontaneous.

You could have thought it's obvious, but for some reason, Shudo wasn't thinking about that, when he told Megumi Hayashibara to improvise whenever they (Roketto Dan's voice actors) want.

The first entry makes me wonder what would have happened to the anime if the writers went on ahead and gave the protagonists various and interesting personalities. Would the anime have crashed and burnt because the kids couldn't relate to Ash & co.? Just how unique would the characters have been? If Ash had a super unique personality, would he be able to carry the show on his own shoulders?
Satoshi was intended to be typical shounen hero, so there was no way for him to stand out.

I also wonder if the reason Shudo(and maybe Tomioka) like Team Rocket so much because they get more creative freedom in writing out their plots and lines.
They can get more creative, becuse they're antagonists. What happens to them also doesn't affect the main course and goal of the show as well.

And Shudo, as creator of Team Rocket, obviously loves them as his own kids. Even after he left the staff, he still cares about their future.

What did Shudo mean by wanting it to be more of a "family" anime? I haven't read all the entries yet, and the thought process confuses me a little. Did he want more pokemon-human interactions or for more human-human interactions to make them more like a family?
He wanted to make it appeal as much to children as to adults. That's why Kanto had so much of not-necessarily-kids-freindly stuff. It got lessened after Shudo stopped being the series constructor - that is, after 156th episode. He was very unhappy when he saw that after his departure Pokemon became more children-oriented.

Wow, Misty-fans might want to stay away from Entry #2 there...yeowch.
Most of them arleady read it, I guess.

Last edited:
I really had no idea about that extra scene for The Power Of One. But that whole bit about Misty "Not having enough charm for a girl" makes sense if you consider the differences between Japanese and North American tastes.

The Japanese prefer characters that seem to follow the traditional Yamato Nadeshiko types while Americans prefer Action Girls, Tsunderes, and Tomboys...

Of course, neither of the subsequent girls don't really fit that characteristic either, but they seem to "chick-y" compared to Misty.

You can tell the writers wanted an active-female heroine right from the beginning. They really do seem to have a lot more fun with characters they can do more with.

I believe this is also why they made sure Dawn got more screentime than May did, they wanted to push a female lead getting as much screentime as Ash as they could.

I never did think May was as girly as people said she was. She was pretty much a mix.

I think people picked up on her being more openly sweet, as opposed to Misty's being mildly repressed in her kindness, and saw it as code for girly.

May's turned out to be my favorite of the three. Of course, it helps that the ridiculous screaming about her breasts is long over. Those, too, might have been what everyone saw as shorthand.

It'll be interesting to see what Iris turns out like in the BW arc, as it'll show if the writers intend to continue on this wavelength.

I really think its safe to say Team Rocket will never leave the show until Ash is wrapped up.

What to say,than im very dissapointed with motives and actions behind writers,especially when it comes to misty.First thhey introduce her in show,give her plots,start to develop her just to slowly stop with time ditching her in end with her halfway developed story never getting ending nor progress.They did big mistake with this.

If she didnt had much of a purpose,than why writers even bothered giving her goal,having her compete in Whirl Cup or for that matter inclkuding her in show in first place?Why he made her likeable character,giving her personality and ambitions.
She definitely had stronger justification for being in show han Tracey or Max had(compared to her they barely did anything),and im still trying to figure out how on earth Brock had stronger position in show than she does?

Sure he cooks and cleans,but in terms of character interaction and battling screentime Misty leads by far.Even if she had "weakest justificatin" he could have strenghten it making her position in this anime more sequre.Like expanding more on her goal and story in Johto,that would be a step forward.But i guess he was too lazy,waiting for opportunity to ditch her out.

As for his statement how there wasnt romance in this show.I may not be a shipper but i cant deny how Misty/Kasumi showed romantic affection toward Ash in Kanto and OI.Hell even in Johto there were some moments which implied this pretty obviously like when she was jealous at Macy when she was around Ash at Johto league.

If he didnt wanted romance in this show,its his fault that he included some things which leaded toward fanbase missundertanding his intensions.

Well im glad he isnt head writer anymore,because frankly if you dont care about characters you write for your not good writer at all.And judging by fanbase negative reactions when Misty was replaced,with people all over the world wanting her return,he miscalculated himself when he took her out.
New head writer is obviously better as Pokemon Advance and DP showed with improvements they made..

You can tell the writers wanted an active-female heroine right from the beginning. They really do seem to have a lot more fun with characters they can do more with.

Thing is that Shudo had opportunity to give Misty more of a role doing more with her.He gave her plots like Togepi,goal of becoming water pokemon master etc,its just he almost never did somewthing with them making notable progression with character.Fact that her goal didnt even started to be expanded until middle of johto(Whirl cup)says alot.

He explained in his blog that he wished he gave more of a role to Mistys character,developing her more but in end pased opportunity replacing her at end of Johto with no foreshadowing or closure which doesnt surprise me since you cant close something on which you never expanded on much.
In end he could have done more with her,but unfortunately had priorities in wrong order not doing it.

On bright side,if new writers incharge ever wished to do something with her character,considering her story was barely ever touched upon they have plenty of room and potential to progress her charcter more,but since thesy probably will never bring her back to cast that ship has sailed away.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom