• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Takeshi Shudo's Blogs

In what way? Everything about Misty he said was always pretty much discussed and assumed in the fandom for years.

Anyone could tell how the writers felt about Misty after watching the Johto arc, and seeing her treatment in that particular saga.

I wouldnt say they didnt cared for her.If writers didnt liked Misty they wouldnt keep her for 5 years,gave her some great starring episodes in cronicles and cameos,along with giving her good share of attention during original series.They could do more with her,lot of potential was left untapped but just because they did some mistakes doesnt mean they didnt cared about her character.

Even Takeshi Shudo who as it seems didnt had high opinion regarding main characters favorizing TR expressed how he feels about replacing Misty not giving her wider role,regretting some of his decisions.

Also i would like to hear your reasoning regarding Johto.You always complain about Misty and her treatment in Johto,but if you havent noticed Brock got worse treatment in that region.Misty at least had Whirl Cup,got more screentime and had some great interacting with some characters.Brock got some good screentime in Johto too,but anyone can see how he got smallest "piece of cake" even in that region.

You don't want to know his reasoning. Trust me, you don't.

Anyway, what was done is done.

I know, I'm kinda late on replying to this one (I apparently missed some of the posts made in later July).

People with Pokemon and Character names are no longer allowed to comment! There could be hidden bias in your replies! =P

what about people whose names are the same as a certain character purely by coincidence? Actually, given the number of COTDs we've had so far (especially if we look at the names they've been given in both the Japanese and English versions, and probably other international versions as well), it's getting really unlikely to have any name that doesn't resemble a Pokemon character of some sort.

I wonder if what TR became in BW is similar to what Shudo orignally wanted.

Watch the second episode of the series, Team Rocket's debut. Watching that now, they're pretty similar in their first appearance as they are in BW, minus the trenchcoats of course.

He wrote in the script that because Satoshi didn't breathe, she gave him artifical respiration, knocking his chest many times. He explained that he wanted him to live not because of the love she felt for him, but of her anger that her existence would become even weaker. He didn't want a misunderstanding abroad, so this part got deleted."
Now I'm confused.

Your not the only one o_O. I'm not sure what he meant at all lol.
Now looking back to the same quote after three years: I guess he meant that she, in a meta level, saved him not because she loved him but because her existence depends on Satoshi's existence, because, apparently, she knows that she's a side character in his story...I guess? That's the only explanation I could muster.

To be honest, you could argue that losing anyone you care about (slightly or a lot) is far more about you than them. Some people don't handle loss very well and others grow from it. Anyway, I think Shudo was trying to be a bit too deep there (why would western kids be bothered by Misty pounding on Ash's chest?). It should be obvious that 10 year old kids don't really love each other, and in Japan love is considered to be very extreme.

Gnoggin's video is nice but inaccurate and a bit shallow. I'll explain why later.

Omg every attempt that guy makes to talk about alcoholism, drug addiction and the cause of Takeshi Shudo's death just prove that people really shouldn't talk about subjects they know nothing about... That was truly painful to watch...

Now looking back to the same quote after three years: I guess he meant that she, in a meta level, saved him not because she loved him but because her existence depends on Satoshi's existence, because, apparently, she knows that she's a side character in his story...I guess? That's the only explanation I could muster.

In another blog post, Shudo explained the reason Misty was removed from the cast was because her reason for travelling was too closely tied to Ash's presence, so she lacked agency as a character. Misty often used her bike as an excuse to continue travelling with Ash and didn't talk so much about her own ambitions. Were Ash to disappear for whatever reason, she'd be without a purpose. This, I think, is what Shudo meant by "weaken her existence". So it's less her knowing she's a side character, and more her knowing Ash is a big reason for her travelling in the first place.

It's quite a depressing view of relationships but it's definitely very Shudo lol.

I’ve gotta say, reading 10-year old posts about the Rocket trio, female protagonists, and the anime as a whole is super interesting. To think about how much has changed while also what has stated the same is just so amazing.

I'm a big believer that the creators are the ones most intimate with the flaws of their own work. Shudo knew very early on exactly what problems the anime would have and it's striking how these problems would continue long after his death. Him having a limit to how many more episodes he could write in those conditions is unsurprising.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom