• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Talk page clutter

Sketch

Vintage
Reaction score
I notice on well...pretty much every talk page...there's discussion about the subject of the article, rather than the article itself and how to improve it...

I find this to be a waste of space when there is a perfectly good FORUM for such discussion...isn't there a policy on this like on Wikipedia?

While that may be humorous...that's not really what I mean.

For example. I just removed forum-like discussion from the Gold and Silver remake article. The user wished to discuss theories...that's what the forums are for.

Not only that, now the user is going against me saying that it's discussing things that can be put in the article. To which I said bull shit. It's all speculation and 'what I want' or 'what I think would be cool'. I ended up protecting the article until further notice...

Something needs done about this...I mean, there is a forum here for these kind of discussions.

The only thing is...what can you do about this? With as many articles as it has already...it would be impossible to clean them all up.

Last edited:
As I have said before, Talk pages are edited more than Userpages. I'm not just talking about User talk pages.

i checked Recent Changes and a portion was just talk pages being edited.

On the one hand, I am against doing things just because Wikipedia does it. This is one area that they are strict on, which is perfectly understandable, but a little chatter isn't terrible and in some cases can still be of use. If someone asks for information on the subject then it is usually because we don't have that information in the encyclopedia.

However, it does gets out of hand at times, particularly with regards to recent news. We learn of something exciting like a team change in the anime and people feel compelled to talk about it wherever they can. The worst offender I've seen was probably Ash's Gligar in the days after the surprise capture. New episode articles also consistently fall into this territory. The speculation and general reactions really should stay in the forums.

Such users are BIg Johnno and Billy(something). Predictions are totally out of the subject. So STOP POSTING YOUR FRICKING PREDICTIONS INTO THE FRICKIN ARTICLES. >.<

Talk:Main Page has had a surge in irrelevant discussions lately. I did put a link to this forum there a while back but it's not as if anyone actually reads above the contents.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom