• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Talonflame weak or not

Pattyman

Utopian
Reaction score
Why is it that every Gym battle that Talonflame participated as a Fletchinder or Fletchling, it ends up defeating one Pokémon and then loses to another one without being given the chance to defeat the Gym Leader's final Pokémon, except for the second Gym as it ended up defeated? None of Ash's other Pokémon in his Kalos team have done that as they defeated the Gym Leader's last Pokémon (with the exception of Noibat as it hasn't participated). I cannot be sure about the last two Gyms because Pokémon with the type-disadvantage had defeated Talonflame before and that those two Gyms haven't appeared in the anime yet. Talonflame somewhat did well in Pokémon battles against non-Gym Leaders and wild Pokémon, even when using the move Flame Charge.

Well, this statement is pretty unfair towards Fletcheinder as Charizard and Sceptile lost a lot of battle too, in percentage form.

And Fletcheinder didn't go down easily in all the said battles, most of the times it suffered on status conditions (Weepinbell poison from Ramos and trapped in Sticky Web by Psychic by Viola), or even repeatedly taking hits (Korrina and Valerie, the latter is the craziest as it is practically waiting for the Trick Room to go off). The only time I felt it went down too fast is at Grant's Gym.

So I don't fell like its weak in anyways, I blame Ash for coming out with better tactics for other Pokemons. Iron Tail deflector and Electro Ball to clear Sleep Powder for Pikachu, Rain Dance Hydration for Goodra, Rock Tomb Counter for Froakie and Pikachu, Poison Powder mask for Frogadier, Spinning X-Scissors for Hawlucha. Where is Talonflame's yet???????

Last edited:
I've always said that Talonflame (in any of it's evolutionary forms) puts in a shift and is going to do work. I'd argue it's one of Ash's most consistent members, especially after it evolved to Fletchinder. Heck, it went toe-to-toe with Moltres for a bit until it got caught out by the Fire Blast. I certainly wouldn't rate Talonflame as weak by any means.

To be honest, I think Talonflame is Ash's best bird since Staraptor, maybe even Swellow. It has done quite well in the trials it's faced, even if it doesn't net the Gym win on its own. Even when trapped or having taken heavy hits, it still fights on. While Ash hasn't been as creative with Talonflame compared to his other Pokemon, that doesn't mean Talonflame is weak. I mean, it went toe-to-toe, or should I say talon-to-talon with Moltres, which isn't an easy fight, evolving and learning Brave Bird in the process. Sure, it still lost, but Talonflame was able to keep up with Moltres for a while, which is a challenge on its own. Now that it has fully evolved, it'll probably gain more wins and such than ever before. For all we know, it may win Ash's battle against Wulfric. So I think you're dismissing Talonflame a bit too soon right now. After all, most of his bird Mons don't evolve until late in the series, and since we haven't seen Talonflame in a battle since evolving, we don't know its true power yet. So don't dismiss Talonflame at this time, as there is still two badges left plus the league, so anything can happen during that time.

What? From where does it seem weak, it's the most consistent and imo the strongest kalos pokemon on the roster right now. The only thing that's holding it back is bcuz it's status as the regional bird but even still it's one hell of a battler.

I will admit Fletchling was not the best, but as Fletchinder it has had a pretty good win record. I mean, Starraptor never won any Gym Battles if you recall, and before Swellow evolved from Taillow it got virtually no use and had very few wins.

Strength is subjective and can easily fluctuate. As we have seen with other mons such as Pikachu and Gliscor, the writers can make any Pokemon as strong as they want for the plot. A Pokemon that wins one battle could easily lose during the next one.

We can't say if Talonflame or any Pokemon is strong or weak just by observing its battle record and win/loss ratio. Hell, the writers made Meowth in DP stronger than Infernape, Staraptor, Seviper, Togekiss, and Yanmega for the strict purpose of plot. To clarify, a Pokemon who very rarely battles knocked out Pokemon that all have impressive battle statistics.

It lasted longer against Moltres than any of the other Pokemon. It's gotta be strong.

Ash Talonflame is proven to be powerful poekmon in Ash team
Mostly use in gym battles becuase of its amazing speed, stamina, and strength. Talonflame wounds was heal from evoultion agiasnt Moltres but uses Brave Bird so it got recoil. Then got hit by Fire Blast from Moltres that is very powerful fire type pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom