• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

TCG & Collectibles General Chat Thread

Merry Chrysalis
Reaction score
So, I just read some interesting news...after being removed from its initial place in the Grass group and bring sorted into the Psychic type group since generation 4, Poison-type Pokémon are now going to be represented in the TCG’s Darkness type with the release of Gen 8 cards! This is rather interesting; I could’ve predicted Ghost-type Pokémon being sorted from Psychic into Darkness instead, or even Poison-types going back to having Grass group cards, but I didn’t quite expect this. And apart from special cases such as Dark Pokémon/Delta Species Pokémon, this’ll be the first time that Pokémon not regarded as Dark-types elsewhere in the franchise will be sharing the Darkness group with actual Dark-types. Although this could mean more unusual type interactions that don’t always line up with the main series type matchups (something that Ghost-types being classified as Darkness instead would actually help to correct instead), I can see how it works from a thematic standpoint; Poison is a “sinister” type much like Dark (hence why they’re both popular choices for villain teams), whereas Poison has much less of a thematic connection to Psychic-types. Anyone else have any thoughts on this development?

Dragon Pokémon
Reaction score
So, I just read some interesting news...after being removed from its initial place in the Grass group and bring sorted into the Psychic type group since generation 4, Poison-type Pokémon are now going to be represented in the TCG’s Darkness type with the release of Gen 8 cards! This is rather interesting; I could’ve predicted Ghost-type Pokémon being sorted from Psychic into Darkness instead, or even Poison-types going back to having Grass group cards, but I didn’t quite expect this. And apart from special cases such as Dark Pokémon/Delta Species Pokémon, this’ll be the first time that Pokémon not regarded as Dark-types elsewhere in the franchise will be sharing the Darkness group with actual Dark-types. Although this could mean more unusual type interactions that don’t always line up with the main series type matchups (something that Ghost-types being classified as Darkness instead would actually help to correct instead), I can see how it works from a thematic standpoint; Poison is a “sinister” type much like Dark (hence why they’re both popular choices for villain teams), whereas Poison has much less of a thematic connection to Psychic-types. Anyone else have any thoughts on this development?
That's interesting...

hee ho table flippers!
Reaction score
why are the TCG typings so different from the actual games?

Merry Chrysalis
Reaction score
To simplify the game mechanics a bit (like for instance so that it’s not incredibly rare to hit a Pokémon for weakness if they don’t squeeze a bunch of type symbols into the bottom of the card), multiple Pokémon types are grouped under similar types in the TCG. Here’s a Li’l guide with the TCG types on the left, and the main series types that fit them on the right:

Colorless: Normal, Flying, Dragon (pre-Gen 5)
Fire: Fire
Water: Water, Ice
Grass: Grass, Bug, Poison (pre-Gen 4)
Fighting: Fighting, Rock, Ground
Psychic: Psychic, Ghost, Poison (Gens 4-7)
Lightning: Electric
Dragon: Dragon (got its own TCG type in Gen 5)
Fairy: Fairy
Metal: Steel
Darkness: Dark, Poison (Gen 8)