• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Advice Thread

Kelleo

Secret Sword of Justice
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread like this anywhere in the X/Y section and I could use some help myself, so here we go.

I've done a few battles online, but I've lost most of them. I'm not a competitive battler, so I only battle other people that are casual players. I wouldn't mind doing competitive battling if I had the time for it. But I have a job and a life, so there's no time for a lot of Pokemon-Amie or Super Training. I'll surely do a little bit of it though (in fact, I already have played around in Pokemon-Amie because it's required to get a Sylveon).

After losing so much despite getting one win, I replaced some of my team's weaker moves with stronger ones. But after battling again, I did even WORSE. I don't understand this. Maybe the person I battled is just very good despite that he defines himself as a casual battler. I just don't know. Here's my team and their movesets, natures, and held items. Not all of them have held items because I haven't found any suitable ones for the Pokemon that don't have any yet.

Delphox
Nature: Naughty
Held Item: Mind Plate
Moveset:
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day

Bellossom
Nature: Modest
Held Item: Big Root
Moveset:
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Venoshock
- Toxic

Aurorus
Nature: Bold
Held Item: Hard Stone
Moveset:
- Earthquake
- Ancient Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Pyroar
Nature: Bashful
Held Item: Flame Plate
Moveset:
- Crunch
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Overheat

Sylveon
Nature: Calm
Held Item: None
Moveset:
- Draining Kiss
- Swift
- Moonblast
- Bite

Talonflame
Nature: Calm
Held Item: Sky Plate
Moveset:
- Flamethrower
- Brave Bird
- Fly
- Steel Wing

I'd really like to replace Sylveon's Swift and Bite with stronger moves, but I don't have any available. I'd also like to find it a held item. I haven't beaten the league yet because I've been working on the Pokedex a little more. I did pass through Victory Road, however. Also, I will NOT change any of my team members. xP

EDIT: Er, why was this moved? It's for gen 6, not any other games. :/

Last edited:
Ill start by saying only what I know to be decent advice. Im not too familiar with too many Gen VI Pokemon yet but ill try a bit and anyone can correct me if im wrong.
For one, Talonflame.

If your going to do online battles or even challenge the League, id recommend having a HM-only Pokemon to throw in the Box. Im sure you know what I mean seeing as how you have nobody with Surf or stuff thank goodness. Obviously my point is directed at Fly. Talonflame has proven himself to be a good Attacker regardless of his nature for me as he is can learn the awesome Swords Dance. Steel Wing and Brave Bird are already snug moves but maybe sacrifice Flamethrower for Flare Blitz (I had Flame Charge even despite its weak power) and then substitute Fly for Swords. Which brings me to my next point.

The entirety of your team is filled with pure assault moves. You don't have a well balanced selection of stat-boosters or even stat-reducers to help your team and in the end, all the enemy needs is a faster type advantage to put you down. You have a decent type-coverage down but you have three Fire types and no Water types with nothing except Bellossom and a Thunderbolt to save you from them. . To save myself the trouble of babbling on, try to set up a plan of attack. Entry hazards lead Pokemon? Then put up a defensive wall to try and force switches into your entry hazards? Then have at least a Pokemon or two with massive sweeper potential to destroy opposition? If your not going to switch out any of these Pokemon.

The one thing I can see is a possible Sunny Day with Delphox and then you can use Talonflame/Pyroar for a power boost or Bellossom for a OH SolarBeam. For Sylveon, the Fairy can learn Shadow Ball and has a pretty good SpAtk you can boost with Calm Mind. Pyroar can also learn the Dark Pulse TM for type coverage as he is also a SpAtk user. Delphox seems okay but can also learn Shadow Ball and Calm Mind if desired. Freeze Dry is almost always on Aurorus if you can teach it to him and I think he can learn Tri-Attack (?). I hope this helps a bit. I know other people on the site can provide much more but I hope you get where im coming from. Im just getting into the competitive scene too.

Another thing is you have a massive Rock and Water and Ground weakness, with 3 fire types and an Ice/Rock. Those are all common attacking types, so you desperately need coverage against them, and all you've got is Bellossom. You've got the Sunny Day on Delphox, which is nice (assuming you have Chlorophyll Bellossom - if not, ask someone to trade you an ability Capsule), but you should try to capitalize on that. You've got the Fire types and Bellossom, so let's go for a dedicated sun team. Try this:

Delphox@Heat Rock
Blaze
252 HP/4SpAtk/252 Speed
-Sunny Day
-Wish
-Fire Blast
-Will-O-Wisp/Magic Coat

Delphox's main job will be to set up Sun and act as a cleric with Wish, as you need to keep Bellossom healthy to avoid a Rock/Water sweep. Fire Blast will do good damage even without much investment because of Sun, and other than that you don't need an attack. Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical Pokemon or Magic Coat can be used to bounce Rocks back at foes - I'd recommend this because rocks would be a major buzzkill for all your Pokemon, especially Talonflame.

Bellosssom@Life Orb/Leftovers
Chlorophyll
28 HP/252 SpAtk/228 Speed
-Sleep Powder
-Solar Beam
-Hidden Power (if it's a decent type)/Giga Drain (if not)
-Synthesis

This will be your main sweeper, who can a use Sunny Day to outspeed Pokemon as high as base 125(!) and cripple them with Sleep Powder and then hit the switch-in hard with Solar Beam. Synthesis provides instant recovery, HP can offer coverage or Giga Drain can offer recovery on SE hits. Keep this thing healthy, you've got GD, Synthesis, and Wish, so it shouldn't be too hard. Life Orb increases your damage output and those three different recovery options make the recoil negligible. Lefties keeps it more healthy since it is so imperative that it stays alive, and also opens the slot for Life Orb on Pyroar to avoid breaking Item clause.

Aurorus@Assault Vest
Refrigerate
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
-Nature Power
-Freeze Dry
-Ancientpower
-Hyper Beam

This is a clean-up mon, pure and simple. Once you've eliminated Fightings and Steels on the opponents side (no problem with your Fires for Steels and Talonflame for Fighters) you can come in and use Refrigerate Nature Power>Tri Attack (effective 156 BP with STAB and Refrigerate) to attempt a 'sweep' or use Refrigerate Hyper Beam to OHKO anything you damn please (150x1.3x1.5=292!!), but are forced to sack Aurorus in return. Freeze Dry hits Waters hard, Ancientpower takes out Fires.

Pyroar@Choice Specs/Life Orb
Unnerve/Rivalry
252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Speed
-Fire Blast
-Hyper Voice
-Hidden Power/Sunny Day
-Dark Pulse/Will-O-Wisp

This will be your secondary sweeper. Specs provide more power but Life Orb gives you a secondary Sun setter in case Delphox dies and let's you cripple physical mons with Will-O-Wisp. Pretty simple to use, press the correct move and watch.

Sylveon@Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Cute Charm
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Baton Pass
-Moonblast

Secondary Wish passer, boosts with CM, attacks with Moonblast, Wishes for recovery, BP your boosts to Pyroar/Aurorus/Bellossom as appropriate when something you don't want to face comes in. Again, it's imperative that you keep your Mons healthy as you have limited coverage so you need the Wish support. Lefties if no one else is running it, Sitrus if the spot is taken.

Talonflame@Flying Gem/Life Orb/Choice Band
Flame Body
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
-Brave Bird/Acrobatics
-Flare Blitz
-Swords Dance/U-turn
-Roost/Steel Wing

Late-game sweeper. Max speed because you don't have access to Gale Wings. BB for Band/Orb (Orb will probably be taken by Bellossom or Pyroar, but if it isn't use it here over the other two options), Acrobatics for Gem. SD and roost for Gem/Orb, U-Turn and Steel Wing for Band.

I don't care that I have three Fire types, I love them. xP I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I've got some nitpicks about your suggestions here. I'm not sure I understand how they'll benefit me.

Yes, my Bellossom has Chlorophyll, that's the whole reason I gave Delphox Sunny Day, so I could pull off a combo. I haven't yet found the opportunity to do so though, unfortunately. But a sun based team sounds like a neat idea, thanks. :3

My Talonflame actually has better sp. attack than attack, so I'm keeping Flamethrower. Plus, two severe recoil moves would really hinder it because of its bad defenses.

I use mostly offensive moves because I don't like having a bunch of status moves. I feel it's really hindering and limits my type coverage too much.

Delphox without an offensive Psychic type move? And Aurorus without Earthquake? I lose all my super effective moves against Poison and Electric types.

I wouldn't use Acrobatics unless I plan for the user to never hold an item. So I'll keep Brave Bird. U-Turn doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I don't want to lose Fly because then I'll lose easy transportation. xP

Wish sounds good for Sylveon though, I'll give up Bite for it.

Aurorus has crap physical Attack and you're not particularly worried about Electrics, as Bellossom has the resist and your sun being up prevents them from having 100% accurate Thunders (Galvantula gets the 91% even under sun and threatens Bellossom with Bug Buzz, but... You have 3 fires, lol). You're right on the type coverage, but IF you keep Sun up and you keep Pyroar and Bellossom healthy, you're powering through everything with high-powered STAB moves with Sun boosts, so you really only need neutral, not SE coverage. Aurorus then cleans up whatever is left over, probably opposing fires or dragons. You seem to be focusing on individual offensive power with thought thrown in to how many SE hits you can get (this is a very typical in-game mindset), my suggestions attempt to maximize your teams's synergy and play to each Pokemon,'s individual strengths (I.e., no physical moves on an Aurorus!) Your team definitely has potential and it has totes more synergy than your average starter/flyer/surfer/dragon/legendary/HM slave, so props for that! :)

EDIT: Also, Fire Blast over flamethrower on Talonflame, then. Talonflame will be a late game cleaner and enjoys the extra firepower. If you ever get more time/inclination to start being more competitive, stick your legit team in the Battle Box and you can use it in the Battle Maison, Link Battles, Wi-Fi, Battle Tet, etc and keep your in-game team with Fly and Surf and such on you. This prevents the need for HMs on your battle mons.

Last edited:
Aurorus has crap physical Attack and you're not particularly worried about Electrics, as Bellossom has the resist and your sun being up prevents them from having 100% accurate Thunders (Galvantula gets the 91% even under sun and threatens Bellossom with Bug Buzz, but... You have 3 fires, lol). You're right on the type coverage, but IF you keep Sun up and you keep Pyroar and Bellossom healthy, you're powering through everything with high-powered STAB moves with Sun boosts, so you really only need neutral, not SE coverage. Aurorus then cleans up whatever is left over, probably opposing fires or dragons. You seem to be focusing on individual offensive power with thought thrown in to how many SE hits you can get (this is a very typical in-game mindset), my suggestions attempt to maximize your teams's synergy and play to each Pokemon,'s individual strengths (I.e., no physical moves on an Aurorus!) Your team definitely has potential and it has totes more synergy than your average starter/flyer/surfer/dragon/legendary/HM slave, so props for that! :)

Huh, I thought Aurorus had pretty decent attack. But, "synergy"? I have no idea what that is. Could you explain? xP

EDIT: Also, Fire Blast over flamethrower on Talonflame, then. Talonflame will be a late game cleaner and enjoys the extra firepower. If you ever get more time/inclination to start being more competitive, stick your legit team in the Battle Box and you can use it in the Battle Maison, Link Battles, Wi-Fi, Battle Tet, etc and keep your in-game team with Fly and Surf and such on you. This prevents the need for HMs on your battle mons.

Fire Blast will miss sometimes though. Flamethrower usually won't and it's still strong.

Also, I forgot to mention, I don't have any of the held items you suggested (besides the Sitrus Berry), so I guess that means I'll be doing some good item hunting. :p

EDIT: Oh, another thing, I beat the league yesterday, so I now have access to post-game stuff.

Last edited:
Synergy is how well your team fits together . Basic synergy is type coverage - if I give X move Y, he can cover this weakness of Z. But it goes much, much further than that - for instance, using Delphox to set up Sun lets Pyroar and Bellossom attpt a sweep while Sylveon keeps them healthy and Aurorus cleans up the mons those two couldn't handle and Talonflame acts as a pivot and wallbreaker. But if you just say, 'these attackingoves have high base power and good coverage', you'll run into many problems, I.e. Bellossom dies too fast and Aurorus is too slow to sweep. By focusing on their individual roles (sweeper/cleaner/wallbreaker) and having some dedicated support mons (Delphox and Sylveon), you maximize the team's potential as a whole.

Oh, now I see. Thanks, I understand a whole lot better now. :)

Np! :) Also, all the items I mentioned except for Heat Rock and flying fem can be gotten at the Battle Maison in Kiloude city for 48 BP. You get 48 BP for clearing a standard challenge (1 BP per battle for the first 10, 2/battle for the next 9, then 20 for the battle against a Chatelaine), which is pretty easy since most people in the standard challenges use unevolved Pokemon. The Super Challenges are harder (competitive Pokemon with items) but once you get to like a 30 streak you're winning 5 BP a battle, so it's faster.

Np! :) Also, all the items I mentioned except for Heat Rock and flying fem can be gotten at the Battle Maison in Kiloude city for 48 BP. You get 48 BP for clearing a standard challenge (1 BP per battle for the first 10, 2/battle for the next 9, then 20 for the battle against a Chatelaine), which is pretty easy since most people in the standard challenges use unevolved Pokemon. The Super Challenges are harder (competitive Pokemon with items) but once you get to like a 30 streak you're winning 5 BP a battle, so it's faster.

Oh. I wasn't really planning on using the Maison because I thought it would be more competitive than casual. I'll consider this now that you've corrected me. :p

The Maison is much more user friendly then past facilities, especially since you get BP after every battle so even if you lose you can just start again without losing the points you've accumulated.

Okay, so how can I get Dark Pulse? I'm assuming it's one of the TMs listed as "available after beating the game" in my guide and the names of those TMs are not listed. :p

On the contrary you can get it as soon as you get Waterfall. Enter Route 16 from Lumiose I believe, where you get Super Rod from. You need Strength, Cut and Waterfall i believe to get to the stream up on the north of the fishermen. And follow it along and voila. Easy TM.

Oh, okay! Thanks. :)

And how do I get Freeze Dry on Aurorus?

It learns Freeze Dry at level 77

Oh. I don't plan to level it up that high anytime soon, unfortunately. But I do have a backup move I could give it instead. Flash Cannon! I always did like that one. And it's a sp. attack. :)

I think Steel type moves are super effective against Ground types too.

You can get Freeze Dry at the Move Relearner, and Steel beats Rock, not ground. (You wouldn't want to keep Aurorus in against either type, though, as Rock beats Ice and Ground beats Rock.)

I hope its appropriate if I ask for some advice on a team ive been trying to make happen given the name of the thread and all?
It's not complete in my Y but ive tested it out on the simulator and have a good win record.

Tyranitar@Focus Sash
Sand Stream
Crunch
Ice Beam/Brick Break
Fire Blast/Stone Edge
Stealth Rock/Earthquake

The first half represents the moves I wish to have him obtain through his nature leaning toward SpAtk. The second half is his current moveset in my Y for lack of nature and Stealth Rock. He's my reasonable lead, being his defense in Sand Stream and his only real weakness being a strong Fighting type move most of the time like Aura Sphere/Sacred Sword/etc. The Focus Sash lies there for that chance, giving him the last 1 HP to lay off the entry hazard or in Y's case, deal out a powerful move that will hopefully be super-effective.

Skarmory@Leftovers
Sturdy/Keen Eye
Roost
Spikes
BraveBird/Air Slash
Taunt/Stealth Rock/Steel Wing

Once again, right side represents the Y data. After Tyranitar sets up Sandstorm, he usually doesn't stick around long. If he does, its probably my victory by then because he is pretty damn strong. Regardless, in the midst of the sandstorm flies in Skarmory who can finish setting up Spikes for switch-in damage. While i previously had another set of Stealth Rocks for Rapid Spinners, i replaced it with Taunt after getting caught in one myself and finding myself in a entry-hazard battle doomed to never end. Brave Bird gives him the power and STAB to actually hit something in case.

Aegislash@Leftovers?
Stance Change
Swords Dance
King's Shield
Iron Head
Shadow Claw

Of course one of the most popular new Pokemon is in this party. Another Sandstorm+ type, this guy is just too good to pass up for a lot of situations. Self-explanatory, one Swords Dance boost and anything that's Psychic,Rock,Ice,Ghost or Dark is pretty much screwed. Sometimes I can get two boosts and then everything else is pretty much decimated most of the time. While some people prefer Shadow Sneak, i think the Claw's power is too good to pass up. Plus Iron Head for STAB since Sacred Sword really doesn't do it for me.

Malamar@???
Contrary
Superpower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Topsy-Turvy

Another top-tier Gen VI Pokemon in my opinion. Ive actually destroyed people with him alone. If he can skate by any Bug types and last out 2-3 hits, those 2-3 Superpowers give him unimaginable strength and defense. If by chance he is thwarted by a damn Scizor, there's another guy waiting to back him up. Besides that, there's not much to say except what to use for an item. Leftovers seems pretty common. Topsy-Turvy is also unimaginably helpful when trying to get past Quiver Dance, Dragon Dance and even Baton Pass Pokemon. Plus Malamar is the pure nemesis of Aegislash, getting a Attack boost from hitting the shield and getting a speed boost in Sticky Web.

Blastoise@???
Torrent
Scald
Dragon Tail
Toxic/Hydro Pump
Rapid Spin

I have almost never used Toxic so I fell into another powerful STAB move. This guy's purpose is clear. To clear entry hazards whenever I need him to, put a Burn down or even Poison (like I said, the Poison is less common). Then, Dragon Tail is of course for flipping through Pokemon on the enemy squad and dealing max damage with my Stealth Rock/3x Spikes (Charizard, Talonflame and flying Bugs hate this. 50% HP gone.) Even with no hazards, the tail is useful to send somebody packing for any reason that fits the moment. Although blasted Fairies are starting to thwart this plan....considering Roar instead for Substituters as well.

Dragonite@Lum Berry/Life Orb
Multiscale
Fire Punch
Earthquake/Roost
Dragon Dance
Outrage/Dragon Claw

Outrage is not on my current Y Dragonite but id like it to be, paired with a Lum Berry of course. However I also like the Life Orb, seeing as how most of the time if this guy comes out, his Dragon Dance damage is pretty much KO. Its tough to change this set even a little, the first time using it having saved my life from a final Greninja with Ice Beam. With the help of a Dance, he outsped the ninja and Fire punched his new Ice-type into death, the help of Multiscale helping him survive his weakness. I used to have Roost to further revitalize his ability but with the rate that this final finisher comes out, I decided to just throw everything on attacking and winning the battle.

I took a lot of glances at Smogon for these guys, trying to make a good team for the first time. Like Kelleo, im trying to get some help and see what I can do, learning more and whatnot since im new at this.

Tyranitar@Focus Sash
Sand Stream
Careful/Impish/Adamant
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def

-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

*gives 0 fucks about opposing Galvantula SW leads with dat SP Def and Sandstorm to break Sash
*will reliably set up rocks at least once
*if you see an opposing Rapid Spinner that you're worried about, lure it out by setting Rocks, then kill it with a counter, then switch back in. Do not lead if they have a threatening Fighter/Spinner combo, get one of the two out of the way before you switch Ttar in

Skarmory@Leftovers
Sturdy
224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Sp Def
Impish

-Roost
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Taunt

*Taunt on the first turn you're in so that whatever they switch in is unable to set up on/Taunt you
*Whirlwind if you don't like it
*Set Spikes
*Roost off damage
*Switch out, you can come back in later to phaze threatening physical set-up sweepers

Aegislash@Life Orb
Stance Change
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Sp Atk
Brave/Quiet

-Sacred Sword
-Shadow Sneak

-Iron Head/Flash Cannon
-Shadow Ball

*the ultimate pivot
*once you get this thing switched in safely something is going to get vaporized
*like seriously, this thing is a monster
*use one of the three powerful moves based on what they have in/what you predict will come in, then finish it off with a Shadow sneak
*it prety much spreads the souls of children on its toast like holy shit

Malamar@Assault Vest
Contrary
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp Def
Adamant

-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Rock Slide

*Assault Vest + Superpower = win button
*Rock Slide murders predictable bug switch ins
*At +1-6 Atk, +1-6 Def, +1 Sp Def, and +1 Speed (from Sticky Web), this thing is a monster
*Eats Stance Dance Aegislash for breakfast
*silly bitches, you can't hurt me! Who the fuck do you think I am? I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Blastoise@Blastoisenite
Torrent-->Mega Launcher
252 HP/252 Sp Atk/4 Sp Def
Modest

-Scald/Water Pulse/Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse
-Aura Sphere/Dragon Pulse
-Rapid Spin

*the defensive-style set you were using is outclassed unless it runs Rain Dish (and is on a rain team, obviously)
*Skarmory already phazes for you if you follow my suggestions
*you need Dark Pulse so you can reliably beat every single spinblocker in the game
*Dragon Pulse would take out Dragons who wish to wall your resisted Water STAB while Aura Sphere wrecks Ferrothorn or Tyranitar who wish to wall you with their stupid high Sp Def
*Scald can burn, Water Pulse is stronger and can confuse, Hydro Pump is significantly stronger than either but is inaccurate and has not status. All down to preference, here - I use Water Pulse, personally

Dragonite@Weakness Policy
Multiscale
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Adamant/Jolly

-Fire Punch/Fire Blast
-Earthquake/Roost/Extremespeed/Iron Head
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw

*Can easily accumulate boosts with DD+Weakness policy
*No need for Outrage when you're at +3 or 4
*Fire Blast can capitalize on the +2 Sp Atk to hit physically defensive mons, Punch can be used to maximize damage output with the given EVs
*Etremespeed reliably beats Gale Wings Talonflame because of +2 priority

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom