• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Aqua and Team Magma, can they get a second chance?

Cilan

Reaction score
Team Aqua and Team Magma were handled horribly in AG and the Groudon and Kyogre finale was rushed as all hell.

Now I know that Team Flare are the main villains in XY, but could it be possible to add in the updated Aqua and Magma from the remakes? Maybe they could have their own arc like Team Plasma did in BW, but handled better. It would also be a way to show off Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre in the anime as well. Hell, maybe we'd even see May again or possibly Brendan in their new designs, or maybe Steven will get his time to shine since he was also handled horribly in AG (just some random character of the day instead of the champion).

They're already promoting the hell out of the Mega Evolutions so why not use this as a chance to promote the RS remakes? What do you think?

This might not happen in the main storyline as Team Flare are going to be the main villains, and Lysandre was already featured in the Mega Evolution Special. It's going to be confusing if they showcase three villain teams all at once, and even if they pull another Episode N and make a separate Hoenn Villains arc, I'm not sure how that's going to work unless Ash has a reason to revisit Hoenn.

Alternatively, they' could do a mini-series to promote the games - like they did with Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs. Two 5-minute-episodes showing the protagonists, villains, and overview on the plot, and the atmosphere saying "What will happen to our hero? Buy the games to find out!" They'd show Brendan, Team Magma, Norman, and Birch in one show; May, Team Aqua, Wally, and Steven in the other show.

The leaders got redesigned but still have the same name, it'd be pretty hard to reconcile that with the anime where they already appeared and got disbanded. I'd say make another special like Origins for Hoenn but with all the new designs.

I don't think that they're going to be able to have a second chance. Like it was mentioned, trying to squeeze three teams in at the same time would be rather confusing and would throw off the rather nice pace that XY has been going at in my opinion. However, I wouldn't mind a special of some sort or them looking into the mini series idea.

I doubt that they'd include Team Magma, Aqua and Flare in the series. That would seem like a bit much, especially when they tend to have a hard enough time with just including the new evil team of the generation. They never included the new Team Rocket admins/grunts from HG/SS and those were pretty much new characters, so I can't see them including redesigned characters. A special sounds really cool, but I have my doubts that they'd go that route as well. Maybe they could do something like the B2/W2 trailer in showcasing the new designs of Team Magma/Aqua in animated form. It wouldn't provide a better conclusion to the Team Magma/Aqua conflict than what we got in AG, but at least it would be potentially cool to look at for a couple of minutes.

I doubt ORAS will impact the anime in any way other than possibly featuring a lot of gen 3 pkmn (and maybe Brendan appearing for a few eps similarly to Lyra in DP?)
An Origins-like treatment could be very nice, but that's probably unlikely to happen... what I do kind of expect us to get is something like the BW2 animated trailer

It really depends on how the market ORAS into the XY anime. They haven't even introduced the Flare-dan into the regular show yet- and will probably spend the entire saga on them or even ignore them altogether- so the Magma/Aqua story from AG is probably all we will see of them.

It would be really cool if Team Aqua and Team Magma got another chance in XY, as they were one of the only few things that had been done wrong in AG in my opinion. But tbh, I don't think they would be featured again (at the best in a special), mainly because they have got to show Team Flare and then there is the Mega-Evolution subplot too, so unfortunately there won't be any time for them.
There is a slight chance of them being used for promoting Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon, but I am still not sure whether that'll happen or not. Though I hope if they are shown then May gets included in the subplot too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope so. I think that both teams are one of the more interesting teams in the entire franchise, but that's just my opinion. I like how they are both trying yo do good... you know. But they went about it wrong.

Maybe they can work together... who knows. But yeah, they should show up (or at least Mastu. He's the best character from Team Magma/Aqua

Team Aqua and Team Magma were basically experiment in anime. Writers tested out waters to see if other villains from games could be succesfully incorporated into anime like it was case with Team Rocket. And build up alongside introduction was decent enough until whole climax of confrontation between two villain teams was rushed ending in highly contrived manner. Delivering anticlimactic and poorly written conclusion.
With not much being known about team leaders, admins etc afterwards.

That said would release of Omega Ruby Alpha Sepphire remakes open door toward Team Magma/Team Aaua receiving second chance. Chance for more fleshed out story and conclusion where there are no loop holes and underwhelming endings?

Hard to tell. Team Flare with Lysandre in charge is almost certain to play main focus in Kalos series as far as regional villain team activities go. And in mega evolution specials based on protagonist Alain having connections with leader of Team Flare it seemes we might get abit more background on them before making its debut in regular series.

Although i suppose in case promotion of RS remakes take place in filler arc after Kalos league ends or in side adventure like Whirl Islands were during Johto . With Ash and co traveling to some islands archipelago ,like Decolora islands were i suppose maybe Team Magma and Aqua could be playing some role. Afterall their leaders Archie and Maxie were never arrested to my knowledge and its uncertain what happened to admins like Tabitha or Shelly along with rest of agents.

So after witnessing revelation how Kyogre and Groudon can take their primordial/ancient form, going back to their original state from prethystoric times becoming even more powerful than they are. This could reinvigorate Maxie and Archie desire to gather more information on this. What would induce process of such transformation leading to reunion of Team magma, Team Aqua teams forming some sort of truce. Working together in taking control of Kyogre and Groudon with joined forces after they reach their primal forms; just to see them stab each other knife in back turning agasinst each other after their initial plans gets fulfilled.

With Ash, Clemont, Serena and Bonnie alongside special guests like May maybe in case writers are gracious enough to bring her back for promotion of RS cremakes(especially now that Kaori is available again). Bringing with herself mega Blastoise, Venusaur and Blaziken(maybe in my dreams).
Play vital role in stopping their schemes and destroying this two organizations once and for all.

In fact bring Misty as well with mega Gyarados since it would be heavily water based making sense to include water enthusiast who dreamed of meeting legendary water pokemon learning their secret and stopping Aqua activities/whole Kyogre rampage calming it down. As excellent build up in Misty coming closer to water master dream better understanding water species.

And we could have one of most epic adventures ever made in pokemon anime.

All of this is just wild speculation and hypothetical scenarios, but i believe resurgence of Aqua and Magma organization definitely has potential. Even though something having potential doesnt necessarily mean how that potential would be recognized or there would exist motivation to take advantage of it.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom