• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Aqua vs Team Magma!! Who would you support?!

Who would you support: Team Aqua or Team Magma?

• I would support Team Aqua. Or I identify more with their philosophy.

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • I would support Team Magma. Or I identify more with their philosophy.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I would support neither. Or I would actively try to stop both groups.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I actually support both ideals. Or I agree with certain elements in each.

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Directly from the website:

Team Magma

Team Magma is an organization that plots to increase the landmass on the planet, effectively adding to the area upon which humanity can labor to achieve even greater evolution and development. Believing that humanity's development will lead to greater happiness for all the world, the members of Team Magma think that laboring for the equal coexistence of humanity and Pokémon is a foolish idea that serves only to hold back humanity’s progress.

Team Aqua

Team Aqua is an organization that plots to increase the size of the oceans in an effort to bring back the rich habitats lost to Pokémon due to humanity’s greed. The ocean is the font of all life, and by restoring it, the members of Team Aqua think that they can recreate an ideal home for Pokémon.

Out of the two, who would you rather support? If these are indeed true remakes of the original Ruby and Sapphire, we as main protagonists will have to side with one of these teams. I personally would prefer to foil both as done in Emerald, but hey. Anyway, your thoughts? Is one teams argument more valid or logical than the other? Do they each have points? Or should the Pokemon World remain with the current interactions between humans and Pokemon? To what degree would you support Team Magma/Aqua, if you had to?

Goal wise team magma having more land would help with over population, as long as theres still some water for pokemon and humans. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but isn't earth formed by volcanos tend to be the best for crops?

Villain wise team aqua are more menacing, cool and just look awesome.

They're both in the wrong though. Magma wants to get rid of the ocean, and pretty much wiping out most water Pokémon in the process and a huge water source for humans once we actively use technology to de-toxify sea water. Aqua wants to get rid of the land, thus wiping out many terrestrial Pokémon in the process.

Either way, they're both contradicting their own goals. So I'd actively try to stop both.

The two teams both have pretty crazy philosophies that are not well thought-out. Neither idea would work, and I wouldn't want to support either team.

Team Aqua at least seem to have their hearts in a good place, though, so if I had to choose one, it would be Aqua.

They're both in the wrong though. Magma wants to get rid of the ocean, and pretty much wiping out most water Pokémon in the process and a huge water source for humans once we actively use technology to de-toxify sea water. Aqua wants to get rid of the land, thus wiping out many terrestrial Pokémon in the process.

Either way, they're both contradicting their own goals. So I'd actively try to stop both.

Which is why I love emerald so much more

Which is why I love emerald so much more

Well, it seems like ORAS will take elements of Emerald from the recent reveals (specifically Rayquaza getting a focus and its mediator role was mentioned) so chances are that Emerald will be channeled somehow. We definitely won't take down both teams at once. Unless they decide to let us fight both teams and have Aqua accomplish Kyogre's revival in Ruby and Magma revive Groudon in Sapphire, behind the scenes. Then we'd get to battle both teams, both legends and even get that 3D Sootopolis cut-scene.

I'd support Magma, simply because Maxie's not a maniac. Also I'd rather have more land then less land; land's where I keep my stuff. I do like the whole science vs nature angle they're playing up here, especially since I'm getting AlphaSapphire, so I'm basically fighting a group of ecoterrorists.

I'd try to stop both, but in the end I'd agree with Team Aqua, because humanity is greedy, and Team Magma doesn't seem to care for Pokemon.

These goals aren't anything new, they were directly from RS, though back then it just came up as a one-liner. With that said, I'd have to side with Magma (even though I like Aqua better). Both teams aren't trying to completely annihilate land or sea, just expand one or the other. Aqua wants to expand the ocean because they think it'll facilitate Pokemon development because all life started in the sea. Yes, that's true. But that doesn't mean that for hundreds and millions of years there wasn't terrestrial life that eventually evolved. You could expand the land and still facilitate the development of new species.

I guess that's why they made Aqua focus exclusively on humans, whereas their original goal was to benefit humans and Pokemon (while Aqua was just Pokemon). For reference, look at their quotes at Mt. Chimney:

Maxie
"You again... Now listen. We humans have grown on dry land. The land is everything! Its importance is paramount! That is why we of Team Magma are committed to expanding the landmass. It will create space for new species of Pokémon to evolve. It will give us humans more space to advance. That is Team Magma's vision! I can't allow an ignorant child like you to get in our way. I, Maxie, will show you the consequences of meddling!"

Archie
"You again... Now listen. All life depends on the sea. The sea is everything! Its importance is paramount! That is why we of Team Aqua are committed to expanding the sea. Doing so will result in the emergence of new Pokémon species. We will return the world back to nature for the good of Pokémon. That is Team Aqua's vision! I can't allow an ignorant child like you to get in our way. I, Archie, will show you the consequences of meddling!"

If they had stayed 100% true to their original design, Magma would have still beat Aqua in ideology since they were working for the benefit of both humans and Pokemon, while Aqua was only looking after the Pokemon.

Right now? While both their logic are flawed, Aqua's seems more so because their end-goal could also be met with an expansion of the land.
Goal wise team magma having more land would help with over population, as long as theres still some water for pokemon and humans. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but isn't earth formed by volcanos tend to be the best for crops?

Settlements on Humilau and Pacifidlog show that humans can adapt.

I prefer more space for land so I definitely pick the Magmas

Team Aqua

Team Aqua is an organization that plots to increase the size of the oceans in an effort to bring back the rich habitats lost to Pokémon due to humanity’s greed. The ocean is the font of all life, and by restoring it, the members of Team Aqua think that they can recreate an ideal home for Pokémon.

Looks like Team Aqua is getting a new Team member! The only Team I actually wanted to defeat was Neo Team Plasma and Team Rocket because they have no ideology and are just outright criminals. (I like Giovanni though).

I know that "flood the world" and "evaporate the ocean" are both stupid and impossible goals, so I like to think that people saying those things are just doing it as propaganda to try and stop people from supporting the groups.

So obviously there need to be actual motivations for the groups, then! What are they?

---

Team Aqua wants to protect water pokemon. They plan to do this by destroying coastal cities that pollute the waters. A convenient way to do this is through tsunamis created by Kyogre, hence the misconception that they are going to flood the world. They are environmental extremists who put ecology above human lives.

Team Magma wants to create new land for coastal cities, which they plan to do by using Groudon to cause lava to flow into the ocean. They are henchmen being bankrolled by wealthy capitalists who care nothing for the environment.

---

I would join Team Aqua if I had to choose one. But that's just me, and for a lot of others I know it's more acceptable to kill off nature for man's benefit than the other way around.

Team Magma because I still like their uniforms more than Team Aqua's. (I'd prefer the original ones over the updated ones, but I want regardless.)

Neither of these groups' philosophy attracts me. However, I saw the poster and I fell in love with Team Aqua. Because they are mess and chaos. And the admin seems not wearing panties

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom