• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team compositions

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Everyone builds their teams differently from each other. One person might stick a fire type on their team, while another person might not.
What type(s) do you guys find yourselves using on your teams?
I tend to find myself grabbing these: Flying, Fire, Water, and Grass.

I consider Water and Electric two core types I never go without. I also usually try to have a Fighting-type but that's a little more optional.

I usually end up with a Dragon but that's mostly just because I like to have a psuedo and they're mostly Dragons.

I usually use a Fire, Grass, Water, Dragon, and a Dragonslayer (Ice or Fairy).

Water and Ground always tends to find a spot on my teams, as well as either a Flying-type or Pokemon with Levitate

I almost always use Water-type, as it is very common yet great offensively and defensively. That being said, I also like using Psychic, Flying, Dark, Electric, Fire, and Ground-types.

Some of my common patterns:
  • I'm a sucker for Ghost-types, so I often have at least one on my team.
  • I'm not guaranteed to use my starter. Sometimes I do, other times I bench it for something else.
  • Sometimes I decide to do a full-blown monotype run... with mixed results. Mono Psychic in Ultra Sun was painful.
  • I usually try to use Pokemon I haven't done a playthrough with before. For example, I used Mimikyu for Mono Fairy but not Mono Ghost. I've even used different evolutionary stages sometimes like Eviolite Magneton in White 2 and Magnezone in (post-DLC) Shield.

I take type diversity to its total logical extreme. All six Pokémon dual-typed, with the Grass/Water/Fire, Dark/Psychic/Fighting, and Steel/Dragon/Fairy trios fully included, without type overlaps. If I can, I also like to squeeze in a Ghost type. Having options to fight off literally anything that comes our way is very comforting.

Having a starter is not guaranteed but I do usually make an effort to include one. The Fire/Fighting starters have been particularly easy to add.

Everyone builds their teams differently from each other. One person might stick a fire type on their team, while another person might not.
What type(s) do you guys find yourselves using on your teams?
I tend to find myself grabbing these: Flying, Fire, Water, and Grass.
I almost always use those four, sometimes I switch it up and don't include one of them, but I nearly always have at least three of those. For the last two (three?) slots, I usually use a Ground type, then a Dragon type. And if I have a space left over, I'll use a Dark type, since I'm a fan of the power of the Dark type. Some types I almost never use, however, are Steel, Ghost, Psychic and Poison types. (Oh, and also Fairy.)

I keep unintentionally doing the fire/water/grass/electric/flying type balance, but I want to start trying to pick Pokemon on what I like instead of trying to get an explicitly balanced team.

I feel like whenever I play through a game, I have my starter, the regional bird, probably some new mons that I like, and a pseudo and maybe a legend if I can get it before the league.

Like for example, my first Sun playthrough, my first Pkmn game, my team in the league was Decidueye, Toucannon, Araquanid, Salazzle, Kommo-O, and Alolan Raichu

I don't have set rules besides that Starter is guaranteed, but some patterns keep popping up in my teams:
A flier (but starting from Gen 7 it doesn't feel as necessary)
A bug (thought that's mostly because I quite like its Pokemon)
A rock or ground heavy-hitter.
A magical being (Psychic or Fairy).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom