• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Flare Discussion/Speculation

Actually, it is not really the story which was better than BW's, but the characters. After playing tons of games, I realized I don't care much about the story, as long as the characters are enjoyable. For example, the story from Shin Megami Tensei games are better than the story from Persona games, but the characters are so boring, unlike the Persona series characters. So, I end up enjoying Persona games much more because the characters are better. The Team Flare scientists and Lysandre are way more interesting than Ghetsis and the boring sages, so obviously I enjoyed the XY plot more than the BW one. N from BW was a great character, though, but if Game Freak have created a similar character for XY, he or she wouldn't be as interesting as N was.

Actually, it is not really the story which was better than BW's, but the characters. After playing tons of games, I realized I don't care much about the story, as long as the characters are enjoyable. For example, the story from Shin Megami Tensei games are better than the story from Persona games, but the characters are so boring, unlike the Persona series characters. So, I end up enjoying Persona games much more because the characters are better. The Team Flare scientists and Lysandre are way more interesting than Ghetsis and the boring sages, so obviously I enjoyed the XY plot more than the BW one. N from BW was a great character, though, but if Game Freak have created a similar character for XY, he or she wouldn't be as interesting as N was.

You may be right there.

I agree that Lysandre is a really interesting character, but the scientists though? They weren't really memorable to me other than their designs, and had pitiful rosters.

You may be right there. I agree that Lysandre is a really interesting character, but the scientists though? They weren't really memorable to me other than their designs, and had pitiful rosters.
Well, design is a big aspect in fictional characters. Badly designed characters are for the most part uninteresting, at least to me. I'd say the scientist don't get enough focus as they should have gotten, but I still liked battling them and well, their designs are amazing. In regards of pitiful rosters, sadly that is a problem with most evil team members in the series. No, actually, that is a problem with most characters. Just look at some of the Gym Leaders teams from Gen V and VI.

Sorry if I'm sidetracking you...

I read on TV Tropes that Elite Four member Malva was a member of Team Flare. She is seen as a newscaster for Team Flare in an earlier part of the game. I'm wondering about how Wikstrom, Drasna, Siebold, and Diantha would have felt about her. I can imagine that they would have been quite upset with her. I'm surprised that they would accept Malva back as an Elite Four member - surely they would have felt that she was a traitor. I'm wondering how or even if they were able to forgive her.

I read on TV Tropes that Elite Four member Malva was a member of Team Flare. She is seen as a newscaster for Team Flare in an earlier part of the game. I'm wondering about how Wikstrom, Drasna, Siebold, and Diantha would have felt about her. I can imagine that they would have been quite upset with her. I'm surprised that they would accept Malva back as an Elite Four member - surely they would have felt that she was a traitor. I'm wondering how or even if they were able to forgive her.

Wait, is this when they announce the attack on the Pokeball factory?

I don't see how being a newscaster on a device that Lysandre invented made her in cahoots with Team Flare. Does it have factual evidence?

Wait, is this when they announce the attack on the Pokeball factory?

I don't see how being a newscaster on a device that Lysandre invented made her in cahoots with Team Flare. Does it have factual evidence?

She told us during the Looker side quest that she used to be a member of Team Flare

There is a Looker side quest? Where?
However (I cannot remember the newcaster) I had the feeling she has something with them, because of her appearance and something she said, iirc

So a lot of people compared Plasma's objective to that of PETA, but I seriously see the same thing with Flare, in the whole we'll kill pokemon just so they don't have to suffer at the hands of humans. Outside of that one caveat, I don't quite disagree with what Flare is trying to do. I love that with this game we got a plot that actually has some real world relevance and concerns an issue we actually face. I feel like everyone other than me absolutely loved the Plasma plot, but seriously I find this one to be so much better.

I feel like everyone other than me absolutely loved the Plasma plot, but seriously I find this one to be so much better.

B/W1's Team Plasma seemed like the PETA on the surface, but in B/W2 it is revealed that they're no different than Team Rocket. While the founder of Team Flare is sincere in uprooting the cause of disorder and violence, he, like Archie and Maxie, did not check for errors in his plan that could result in unwanted damage--or in this case, an ecosystem catastrophe.

To me, the plot seems like GF stitched some elements from RSE and B/W1 then revised it to mirror another real world problem. Not that I am complaining. It's clever.

Last edited:
What does bother me about Flare though is that outside of Lysandre there doesn't seem to me to be much depth to the characters. Having unnamed admins is something from gen II. I get the focus was put on the scientists, but I don't really see what differentiated the admins from the grunts. And I feel like the female scientists were all too similar in design to stand out from one another. I really couldn't tell you which colored hair each one was and where I ran into them.

However (I cannot remember the newcaster) I had the feeling she has something with them, because of her appearance and something she said, iirc

After you beat the champion Looker calls you and you become his partner for a while solving crimes in Lumiose city

This is really petty,

But I was really disappointed that (not sure if I have to mark spoilers? But I will anyway)

There wasn't a female boss. Again.

It was the perfect opportunity for one, but nope. *sighs*

After you beat the champion Looker calls you and you become his partner for a while solving crimes in Lumiose city

Strange, I've beaten her and I don't remember that he called me.

Hmm... maybe you have to do some other things first. Have you battled your rival and gotten your mega ring upgraded yet?

Hmm... maybe you have to do some other things first. Have you battled your rival and gotten your mega ring upgraded yet?

Well, maybe there is the problem as I don't know anything about the upgraded mega ring.

So a lot of people compared Plasma's objective to that of PETA, but I seriously see the same thing with Flare, in the whole we'll kill pokemon just so they don't have to suffer at the hands of humans. Outside of that one caveat, I don't quite disagree with what Flare is trying to do. I love that with this game we got a plot that actually has some real world relevance and concerns an issue we actually face. I feel like everyone other than me absolutely loved the Plasma plot, but seriously I find this one to be so much better.

I really want to know whether or not PETA sees the irony in the fact that they keep making Pokemon parody games, and yet they almost are the villainous teams.

I didn't preorder, but all of this about Team Flare is making me excited for when I get around to playing it. I felt kind of 'meh' about them earlier, when all we knew about them was that they were FABULOUS, but this overarching Pokegenocide insanity sounds fun.

Well, maybe there is the problem as I don't know anything about the upgraded mega ring.

OK so first you have to attempt a battle in the Battle Maison . After you try a battle, exit the building and find your rival in the town. Then after you defeat him/her Sycamore will call you to upgrade your ring. Hopefully after that Looker will call.

OK so first you have to attempt a battle in the Battle Maison . After you try a battle, exit the building and find your rival in the town. Then after you defeat him/her Sycamore will call you to upgrade your ring. Hopefully after that Looker will call.

It worked, thank you!

This may just be me, but Team Flare is reminding of DP Team Galactic, in a sense-the pacing is a little awkward (although by no means horrible), and the team is mostly comic relief until a dramatic climax, almost in a bait-and-switch way (feel free to disagree). I'm hoping that in Z (I really feel like we're getting a third version this Gen, for a variety of reasons), Team Flare will be explored a bit more, just like what happened with Team Galactic in Platinum. Lysandre is an interesting boss, so I'd like to see him developed further.

Also, I laughed (not in a deprecating sense, but more at the correlation) at another character referred to by letter(s) of the alphabet involved in the regional team's plan.

I hope Malva is expanded on in 'Z'. She's an awesome character, but not shown enough. Like Diantha, but that's different. I want to battle her as a Team Flare member, and to see how all the other E4s and Diantha (or they might pull an emerald) react.

Is it just me or are Fire E4s always the best characters?

Back
Top Bottom