• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Help Please?

Are the Pokemon for this team good or bad?

• Good, go with it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, try something else!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I've been meaning to create a new competitive team for Gen VII for a while now, and I'm final getting around to it. I haven't thought about all the details yet, but I've figured out which Pokemon I want to include on my team.

Lucario
Electivire
Lapras
Alolan Marowak
Trevenant / Dhelmise / Decidueye (Haven't decided here)
Guzzlord

The first three I should be able to get ready rather quickly, as I can breed the members of my Gen VI team that were the same as these. Should I select different Pokemon, or is this a fine distribution?

(I'll try to make a full stat list for this team later.)

Hi, welcome back to the Battle Center! :D

That's an interesting team you have there. Is there a specific format or competition you want to use it for, or is it more for casual battles? I'd definitely recommend providing some more detail on the movesets of your team, but for now we can work on building cores with what you have. You already have a good Fire/Water/Grass core going with Marowak, Lapras, and the Grass-type slot. I'd recommend a bulkier Grass-type like Amoonguss or Ferrothorn, but if you want something with a bit more offense, Tapu Bulu or Serperior would fit nicely too. Do you plan to use Lucario with its mega stone? If so, you might consider adding a strong Ground-type like Garchomp to help Lucario deal with some of its biggest threats. You also have two Pokemon that can redirect Electric attacks, so adding something like a Gyarados to take advantage of that might be neat.
Let me know if you have any questions!

Alright, I'll answer the questions on separate lines.

Is there a specific format or competition you want to use it for, or is it more for casual battles?

I'm intending this to be a Singles Team, and I'm planning on using a few of these in the upcoming Weakness Cup. I know a lot of these Pokemon aren't recommended, but I like being part of the out crowd. :cool: Anyways, I'll be providing more details as I go. I've hammered out the details for Marowak, and I'm planning on transferring my Electivire, Lucario and Lapras over from my Gen VI team, as they are part of the Alola Dex, so I can easily make the stats for them. That was sort of my purpose in constructing this, you know?

I'd recommend a bulkier Grass-type like Amoonguss or Ferrothorn, but if you want something with a bit more offense, Tapu Bulu or Serperior would fit nicely too.
Out of those, Tapu Bulu would probably be the best fit. For one, he's the only one part of the Alola Dex, and for another, I'd prefer a heavy hitter :sneaky:.

Do you plan to use Lucario with its mega stone? If so, you might consider adding a strong Ground-type like Garchomp to help Lucario deal with some of its biggest threats.

While I'd love to use the stone, none have been able to be used in the online competitions so far, so I'd probably have to temporarily replace it with something else.. I'll take your suggestion for a Garchomp, especially since he's part of the Dex.

You also have two Pokemon that can redirect Electric attacks, so adding something like a Gyarados to take advantage of that might be neat.

Hmm, Gyarados. I'll think about it.

I'll try to post my team stats ASAP. I'm aiming for the end of the night, but we'll see!

Alright, here's what I got so far. I have them for Alolan Marowak, Lucario, Electivire, and Lapras. I'll try to get the other two tomorrow.

Name: Electivire

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Motor Drive

EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 8 HP

Nature: Impish

IVs: 31/31/~20/31/31/31

Moves: Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Low Kick, Earthquake

Name: Lucario

Item: Lucarionite / Fightinium Z

Ability: Inner Focus

EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 8 HP

Nature: Modest

IVs: Hyp/31/31/31/31/31

Moves: Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon

Name: Alolan Marowak

Item: Thick Club

Ability: Rock Head / Lightning Rod

EVs: 252 Atk, 130 HP, 128 Sp. Def

Nature: Adamant

IVs: 31/31/X/31/31/31

Moves: Shadow Bone, Bonemerang, Flame Charge, Brick Break

Name: Lapras

Item: Quick Claw / Icinium Z

Ability: Shell Armor

EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 129 Sp. Def, 129 Def

Nature: Bold

IVs: 31/~20/31/31/31/31

Moves: Ice Beam, Thunder, Ancient Power, Surf

Note: 'Hyp' means 'Hyper Trained', 'X' means 'Doesn't Matter'.

Alright cool, so we'll stick with Alola Dex mons only, and then perhaps make a variant of the team for the Weakness Cup. Keep in mind that the Weakness Cup will be a double battle format instead of singles.

Right now we have your team at:
Lucario
Electivire
Marowak
Lapras
Tapu Bulu
Garchomp

Is there any way you can get an Electivire with a Jolly nature? Wild Charge > Thunder Punch in this case, and I might go with Cross Chop but Low Kick is fine as well. The team actually seems to be lacking some special offense, and given there's already an electric-move redirector in Marowak without something like Gyarados, we could try to replace Electivire with a strong special attacker if it doesn't work out. Is there any strong special attacker you'd want to add in place of it, particularly a Psychic or Rock-type? Your team is also weak to Earthquake-spam, despite Bulu's grassy terrain mitigating that a bit, so if it has levitate or is a part flying-type that'd be even better.

If Lucario were Timid we could go with the Nasty Plot sweeper route, but given Modest it'll probably be better off as a wallbreaker. Fightinium Z can work but I feel a choice specs for the item would be better for more consistent damage output. Replace Dragon Pulse with Vacuum Wave because the extra priority will really help it out if we go with Modest Specs.

You definitely want Lightningrod on Marowak for this team, and a simple 252/252/4 spread will work. Check out something like this
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge/Swords Dance/Will-o-Wisp
- Bonemerang

Your Lapras set is trying to be both offensive and defensive, which is normally not advised, but that's the beauty of Trick Room abusers and tanks. This is a personal set I like to use
Lapras @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet/Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Ice Shard
- Thunderbolt/Freeze-Dry/Sheer Cold

Alright, I'll be quick in my replies. I like my Electivire, and I'll take your suggestions for him, but I'll replace him with Minior. Choice Specs for Lucario look fine, and Vacuum Wave is better as well. Marowak suggestion can all be done. Lapras will be harder to adjust for the Nature and Ability, but the other stuff I can do.

I'd make the reply more detailed, but I already lost a good deal of work thanks to an accidental changing of a page.

Anyways, here's my team as of now:

Members: Lucario, Lapras, Alolan Marowak, Minior, Tapu Bulu, Garchomp

Name: Lucario
Item: Lucarionite / Choice Specs
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 8 HP
Nature: Modest
IVs: Hyp/31/31/31/31/31
Moves: Vacuum Wave, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon

Name: Alolan Marowak
Item: Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 HP, 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Moves: Shadow Bone, Bonemerang, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz

Name: Lapras
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/~20/31/31/31/31
Moves: Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Ice Shard, Hydro Pump

Name: Minior
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd., 4 HP
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31
Moves: Power Gem, Swift, Shell Smash, Psychic

Name: Tapu Bulu
Item:
Choice Band
Ability:
Grassy Surge
EVs:
252 Atk, 252 Spd., 4 HP
Nature:
Adamant
IVs:
31/31/X/31/31/31
Moves:
Wood Hammer, Zen Headbutt, Horn Leech, Stone Edge

Name: Garchomp
Item:
Garchompite / Life Orb
Ability:
Sand Veil / Rough Skin
EVs:
252 Atk, 252 Spd., 4 HP
Nature:
Adamant
Moves:
Earthquake, Outrage / Dragon Rush, Iron Head / Poison Jab, Fire Fang

The Lucario and Marowak look good. If getting the right nature and ability on Lapras is too difficult, Starmie, Pelipper, Greninja, or Primarina are decent replacements, as well as Rotom-Wash or Toxapex if you want something more bulky. I would avoid having too many Choice items as you end up having to play very carefully so as to not lock yourself into the wrong move at the wrong time. How about this for a Minior set?
Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive/Hasty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Power Gem
- Substitute
- Earthquake/Psychic
If you find Minior is not to your liking, some potential replacements include: Vikavolt, Alolan-Raichu, Alakazam, Tapu Koko, Rotom-Wash.

The only thing I'd change about Tapu Bulu is Superpower in place of Zen Headbutt, to have something to hit Steel-types with.

Try this set for Garchomp
Garchomp @ Life Orb/Groundium-Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide/Poison Jab
A simple, strong, fast, offensive threat that can set up hazards on stuff that it forces to switch out.

I think I've got my team in order, so now I just have to find a good way to gather them together. Lucario is a non-issue; he's easy to transfer. The others will be more challenging since I don't know if I can get the right natures or abilities for any of them. The last time I did this, I got help from the trade center, so I just had to focus on training up the Pokémon. Hopefully I can figure something out...

I think I've got my team in order, so now I just have to find a good way to gather them together. Lucario is a non-issue; he's easy to transfer. The others will be more challenging since I don't know if I can get the right natures or abilities for any of them. The last time I did this, I got help from the trade center, so I just had to focus on training up the Pokémon. Hopefully I can figure something out...
You can try asking in the Global Trade Center this time as well. There's lot of nice breeders there willing to help people out :D
I can also help with breeding your team. I think I have some retired mons like Garchomp that I've trained up but don't need anymore that I can give you. In the meantime you could use Pokemon Showdown to test your team and see if you like it or want to make any adjustments before you have it bred onto your cartridge. It also has a format for the Weakness Cup that you can use to prepare for the competition. Let me know if there's anything else you need! :)

Alright, I'll go get a team assembled on Smogon. It's certainly better than making a team and not being happy with it. By next week I'll start asking around for the Pokémon, and if any changes need to be made, I'll post here. See you later!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom