• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Rocket: Goofy Villians, or Dangerous Villians?

I'd rather have them leave the show than see their character's completely changed beyond recognition. I would have preferred Team Plasma actually appearing throughout the saga to be the main villains. Same way I feel about Ash during BW, if they were going to regress him that much as a trainer we might as well have gotten a new protagonist.

I bet any money that you watch the dub.
It's in the Japanese version, I know people like to scapegoat the dub for everything but the behavior Team Rocket exhibit that I describe is very much there in the Japanese version as well. Jessie would regularly fly into her fits of rage and childish behavior over something minuscule. Jessie was never a generic, emotion-filled, vain hotheaded lady 24/7, she was always a pretty cynical woman at times.
Whether you like it or not, from AG to DP she went from an unreasonable cheat to someone who trained and didn't want to take her 5th ribbon from Salvia! She also treated hers and particularly Kojiro's pokemon much better that she had previously. This to the extent that Kojiro's exasperation at her entering contests gradually shifted to supportiveness and by the 2nd half of DP he was happily loaning her his pokemon.
The point I was trying to make was Jessie was still treated as a pretty crap Coordinator by the end of DP and rage quit them quickly and never was a factor in anything of the show.
As if! What you're saying is just a projection of your own bias. The truth is that some people prefer the DP style Rocket-Dan and some BW. (And you know what? That's okay! People are allowed to have different opinions but that doesn't mean that one or the other is right or wrong.) Thus 2 different groups were active during these periods and expressing their love/hate. I think both vocal groups were equally big/small and that actually the majority of the fandom feels pretty neutral about the TRio anyway and only care about pokemon battles!
I'm just saying it how I saw it, TR were largely a non-factor in DP and had gotten pretty stale, literally no large factions of people I came across regularly actually cared about them. BW comes and they becomes relevant, the whole Meteonite business and surplus amounts of fanart are put out by fans, general fans become more interested in them, but of course some dislike the change. That's okay, but you cannot ignore the fact the Rocket fandom was pretty horribly inactive at the time. But then again, I don't watch the show for Team Rocket's humor, I watch for Ash and his friends.

A show that runs for so long cannot help but fall back onto its (overall successful) formula.
As i understand your point, i have to disagree due to evidence. Well known animes which Pokemon has previosly been compared to in this aspect precisely, such as Dragon Ball; One Piece; Naruto which isn't over yet, Ranma 1/2 and Bleach just to mention a few, had been and still are incredibly succesful anime with remarkable continuty. Imagination has no limits, and i assure you that with hard work; effort and a little talent any of these anime could easly launch another 230 episodes with great success.

hether or not you believe Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu have undergone personality development or flanderisation,
Au contraire, mon ami, i'm sorry if i didn't make myself clear but i don't object at all that they have undergonse personality developement. All the other way around, they were probably the characters who have gone trough the most drastic personality changes (particulary at the beggining) it's about these changes being appealing to the audience what i'm trying to talk about; whether you consider them slightly shallow or accuratly funny.

I don't think anyone would have that argument about Satoshi who has very obviously matured in that time (ignoring the BW blip). However, even he behaves rather predictably on the whole - the sum total of his behaviours amounts to pretty much pokemon battles and helping CotDs.

I really couldn't understand what you tried to say here, excuse my english please. I'm not sure what your concept of "maturity" is, however if you believe it's connected with being predictable i would have to disagree. It's quiet obvious that Natsu from Fairy Tail, for example, will undoubtly follow his instincts withouth much second thought until he hits a wall or two; and yet it is a predictable attitude from him that doesn't make him dull in any way (actually Fairy Tail's raitings have been increasing according to what i read) Still, i would rather not discuss Satoshi's character developement here, since this post concentrates on Team Rocket.

I would apply the same logic to the TRio - yes, they do mostly the same thing in every episode. But there's no denying that their characters changed (I like to call it development
As i said, i rather not get out of the topic. However:
" Development:
-a specified state of growth or advancement
a new and advanced product or idea"
Oxford dictionary (British & World English) (development: definition of development in Oxford dictionary (British & World English) i only copied the relevant ones)

Despite Musashi or Jessie entering contests i honestly didn't see much character growth ever since she did- only that her ambition got displayed a little bit more alongside with
a few "humilty" lessons suggested that were still ignored in the rest of the episodes. Even though this activity of hers was introduced in the storyline; if you'd agree with me it was more of a tool for her to present a challenge to the trio-girl in turn (since Jessie or Musashi could not really grow as a contest trainer)

For some reason i'm unable to properly load the full page, so i can't re-read my last post nor the context in which i wrote that "repetitive" you quoted, so if it's not much to ask, would you quote the context of my words the next time please, so i can too answer properly? Otherwise it's doubtful the connotation that that particular word, "repetitive", has.

Ugh if they would just fix a couple of things, they can act as stupid as they want:

1. STOP THE GODAMN BLASTING OFF!!!! It was NEVER funny, and it will NEVER be funny, seriously give them the damn jet packs back.
2. Send them on some missions. Have Giovanni send them to do stuff(away from the twerps) and succeed in some stuff for once.

Do these two things and I don't care if they act with their "personalities" that everyone seems to love.

Bubble Frog said:
For the most part she was portrayed as a garbage Coordinator

...which is why she made it all the way to the Top 4 of the Shin'ou Grand Festival? Which is further than Haruka made in her first Grand Festival?

Besides that she became horribly flanderized throughout it all that her mentality embodied "stuck-up, mean lady" than any true characterization.

What you're saying about Jessie being "stuck up, mean lady" is true...if you're talking about the way TPCI portrayed her. It seems like she couldn't go two minutes without insulting her teammates or threatening them with violence or just being a general dick to them. But the overwhelming majority of that was dub-only. Musashi lost her temper with her teammates in the Japanese version from time to time, sure, but not anywhere near the extent that Jessie does in the dub. I think people really underestimate just how much the dub changed those characters. The dub's not being made into a scapegoat here; it really did completely change those three characters for the worse.

As mentioned before, Musashi grew a lot as a Coordinator from her AG days. Back then, she cheated in every contest, would get found out and then be sent blasting off (which is one reason she couldn't use the same alias more than once), and ended up not winning a single Ribbon in either Houen or Kanto. But in DP? She decides to finally start playing by the rules, and you know what? She makes it all the way to the Grand Festival. And at the end, when she loses? She walks up to Hikari, looking all super pissed...and then, instead of blowing up in her face like everyone expects her to, tells Hikari that she better not lose instead. If she's going to lose, she figures, she might as well lose to the person who wins the entire Grand Festival.

Musashi also had a heartfelt farewell with her Dokucale. Both she and Nyasu comforted Kojirou when he was upset over losing his Sabonea.

I don't see how any of this means that she was flanderized into the stuck up, mean lady that she's so often portrayed as. In fact I would say that the only other characters who got more development during DP were Hikari and Shinji.

A good portion of people were apathetic or bored of them, BW comes and comedic Rocket fans come in mass. Suddenly everyone's a fan of "lovely, charming villains."

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

That's what happened with the Rocket trio; once it became clear that the Rocket trio we know and love was gone and were being replaced by these horrible robots then we started to reminisce about how much better things were before their lobotomies. The same thing happened with Kasumi, Haruka, Hikari, etc. - fans have a lot more nice things to say about them *after* they leave the show than they do during their tenure.

But that doesn't overrun the fact they have no goal at all anymore and are still just there to be there.

You've just perfectly described the overwhelming majority of the BW Rockets.

Lis said:
Dragon Ball; One Piece; Naruto

Which are all adaptations of pre-existing stories (manga). The Pocket Monsters TV series, for the most part, is an original story.

Lis said:
Dragon Ball; One Piece; Naruto

Which are all adaptations of pre-existing stories (manga). The Pocket Monsters TV series, for the most part, is an original story.

Yes they are, and then i said "has previosly been compared to in this aspect " aspect meanning in terms of longevity; the amount of episodes it has (since she said that it was a valid excuse that the reason why Pokemon doesn't always have "original" or fresh content is because it has been run for so long, which is why i said that other animes; despite their "roots" or where they've been adapted from, have been able to maintain competent and interesting content for similar amount of seasons. If what you say is that they have been able to do so because they come from a manga, then i don't understand you. I don't see the relation between an anime not being innovative and its lack of manga-roots, all the other way around actually; it sounds logic to me that an anime with few "ties" to a previous drawn version doesn't have problems to be progressive and creative; specially an anime with Pokemon's potential.)

...which is why she made it all the way to the Top 4 of the Shin'ou Grand Festival? Which is further than Haruka made in her first Grand Festival?
You can't really compare May to Jessie at all. Jessie ribbons, literally all of them were won by other people or in blink-and-you-miss it battles. Jessie made it to the top 4 in the Sinnoh GF, too, but anybody can make it far in a GF of off-screen fodder trainers.
What you're saying about Jessie being "stuck up, mean lady" is true...if you're talking about the way TPCI portrayed her. It seems like she couldn't go two minutes without insulting her teammates or threatening them with violence or just being a general dick to them. But the overwhelming majority of that was dub-only. Musashi lost her temper with her teammates in the Japanese version from time to time, sure, but not anywhere near the extent that Jessie does in the dub. I think people really underestimate just how much the dub changed those characters. The dub's not being made into a scapegoat here; it really did completely change those three characters for the worse.
I agree with you, but I'm still very much did feel Jessie was a jerk in the Japanese version a good portion of the time. She would have her huge "big-headed" scenes often where she'd be a brat to them over Contest or their plans or something, was generally jerk-ish and an overruling matriarch of the three a good number of the time. But during the days of Kanto Jessie never was this mean, housewife screaming lunatic, she was always just a cynical woman with her moments. These character traits were flanderized, overplayed and overdone so much I couldn't buy they were friends no matter how much you payed me.
As mentioned before, Musashi grew a lot as a Coordinator from her AG days. Back then, she cheated in every contest, would get found out and then be sent blasting off (which is one reason she couldn't use the same alias more than once), and ended up not winning a single Ribbon in either Houen or Kanto. But in DP? She decides to finally start playing by the rules, and you know what? She makes it all the way to the Grand Festival.
Jessie cheated by having James enter a Contest for her, so she did cheat. If May was given a pity ribbon from a princess she would have gotten a ton of crap for it, Jessie's three other wins were hard to swallow or care about because they all off-screen or quickly done. Anyone can win ribbons from off-screen trainers or Kenny. That's the point I'm trying to make, it's like the writers saying Bianca won two gym badges on her own with just her Pignite in early BW despite the fact she was portrayed as a not serious trainer all the time and a stereotypical dumb blonde makes the notion hard to buy. It'd say more about Jessie's skills if she had defeated Dawn in a real battle or brought Zoey to a near defeat.
I don't see how any of this means that she was flanderized into the stuck up, mean lady that she's so often portrayed as. In fact I would say that the only other characters who got more development during DP were Hikari and Shinji.
Which isn't saying much since the epitome of Paul's character development was him drastically changing personality at the league because the writers needed him to be a certain way before his departure, as for Dawn her character was largely static throughout DP, people point to her spirit-breaking arc. early on as being character development but it was just her falling from grace and getting back on her feet, her character itself never really changed from that experience. But she become a much better Coordinator, her character just didn't change much.

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

That's what happened with the Rocket trio; once it became clear that the Rocket trio we know and love was gone and were being replaced by these horrible robots then we started to reminisce about how much better things were before their lobotomies. The same thing happened with Kasumi, Haruka, Hikari, etc. - fans have a lot more nice things to say about them *after* they leave the show than they do during their tenure.
If it wasn't for them not being given half decent battles and not appearing in every episode, I promise people would be back to being tired of TR. They're more plot-devicey in XY than characters but they're not appearing every episode to high jack large numbers of screen time so people aren't complaining. But no one's discussing or pining for their characters like BW, no one's wondering what the next big mission is or whether or not they'll grow or what'll happen with their characters. They give good battles like in the Furfrou episode and don't appear in episode and people are content. But that's just it, TR's characters aren't treated like they matter. They're just there, I guess I'm becoming to be okay with that because I've stopped focusing on TR heavily after BW or expecting anything big for their characters outside of catching a Pokemon I like that gets beaten regularly.
You've just perfectly described the overwhelming majority of the BW Rockets.
I agree, in Da! they were bad because the writers had reverted back to the same formulaic writing style for them. But in early BW and up until BW2, most of the time they appeared it was because they were integral to the plot and needed to be there, they had foreshadowing moments, big missions and all. Why do they appear in XY episodes? Just need some conflict and catalyst to solve the problem of the episode, needed a raging Garchomp, needed Jessica's problem with Furfrou solved, needed to show off Dedenne's skills, TR are your go to characters.

The only thing that looks slightly like they'll be integral to the plot is the upcoming Mega episode, but if the episode ends with them gaining nothing and ultimately Chespin/Mega Blaziken being the stars and saving the day. It just them being there to be there for conflict sake, but like I'm said, I don't focus on TR much anymore in XY, I'm enjoying the new traveling companions, Pokemon and battles way too much and they've become so much of a non-factor by this point that their presence isn't bothering as much as before. But fans who watch the show solely/mainly for TR and who want to see more to their characters aside from comedic value 24/7 that I've come across are largely unhappy. In my humble opinion, recycling the same formula with them and doing nothing new isn't the way to go at all. But that's just one POV.

To sum up my feelings, TR in BW, I cared about, TR in DP they were annoying, TR in XY are like the new Brock. I can't be bothered to care one way or another half the time so I don't complain.

Last edited:

Besides that she became horribly flanderized throughout it all that her mentality embodied "stuck-up, mean lady" than any true characterization.

Yeah, I've been watching subs of DP lately, and it's crazy how much better they come across in the original. Really makes me sad what TPCi did to them.

You can't really compare May to Jessie at all.
Jessie cheated by having James enter a Contest for her, so she did cheat. If May was given a pity ribbon from a princess she would have gotten a ton of crap for it
Jus' sayin'.
There are 2 arguments here:
1. Did Musashi undergo any character development during her DP contest arc?
2. Was she a coordinator fit to rival Haruka or Hikari?
I don't think anyone would argue for the second point. But you can't use the fact that she's not the same/as good as the protagonists as an argument to say that she didn't develop!

But during the days of Kanto Jessie never was this mean, housewife screaming lunatic, she was always just a cynical woman with her moments. These character traits were flanderized, overplayed and overdone so much I couldn't buy they were friends no matter how much you payed me.
What on earth is your definition of cynicism? Because that's probably one of the last words I'd use to describe any of the TRio, least of all Musashi! If anything, they are the most sincere and passionate fools, more so in Kanto where their romantic element was still heavily played.

And again, if you don't believe in their friendship I can only point the finger of blame towards the dub which, as Dogasu rightly said, cannot be underestimated in its complete changing of their personalities. Whatever discrepancies there have been in the backstory, characters and behaviours of Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu over the years, the thing that has remained constant beyond a shadow of a doubt is their close bond.

XY is a bit like DP where the improvement is just in doing what Rockets do anyway but better. In DP it was Musashi getting better at contests. In XY it seems to be them, along with everyone else, getting better at battles. BW was totally uncalled for in completely changing their characters. They became sorely lacking on the entertainment side, and their so-called competence just involved lacklustre battles with an overpowered Woobat. The battle they had in the grooming episode was infinitely more entertaining than anything they did in BW, even if it resulted in a loss for them (which is to be expected for a kid's cartoon).

So to answer the topic I guess goofy? But if they're actually good at battling, which they are this time, then they're also dangerous. Satoshi & co actually did need to try to beat them when directly confronted in at least two of their four battles. Even just taking dangerous literally, things like setting off that Garchomp in XY002 makes them a huge threat.

I kind of prefer the goofy TR over the serious TR, probably because I feel like goofy TR has more personality to them than serious TR does, but that's just me. I would always enjoy their antics every episode, and when there was an episode focused mainly on them it was always enjoyable to me.

I prefer the goofy Team Rocket, they just seem more like themselves. In Black and White, when they were more serious, not only they seemed very out of character, they just seemed like some generic villains, totally lacking personality.

Lis said:
I don't see the relation between an anime not being innovative and its lack of manga-roots

While a lot goes into the animated adaptation of a popular manga series, the majority of the really hard work - figuring out which character does what, and when, and where, and in what order - has mostly already been figured out before first TV script is even written. Pocket Monsters doesn't. Comparing the two shows is frankly quite silly.

Bubble Frog said:
You can't really compare May to Jessie at all. Jessie ribbons, literally all of them were won by other people or in blink-and-you-miss it battles. Jessie made it to the top 4 in the Sinnoh GF, too, but anybody can make it far in a GF of off-screen fodder trainers.

Musashi made it further than the main character in the previous series did in her first Grand Festival. The amount of screentime Musashi's battles got does not change that at all.

She would have her huge "big-headed" scenes often where she'd be a brat to them over Contest or their plans or something, was generally jerk-ish and an overruling matriarch of the three a good number of the time.

Like I said, "Musashi lost her temper with her teammates in the Japanese version from time to time, sure, but not anywhere near the extent that Jessie does in the dub." For example, in "Yes in Dee Dee, It's Dawn!," the dub changes Kojirou wishing Musashi good luck to James "shudder[ing] to think" what horrible violence Jessie will dish out on them if she loses. In "Dawn of a a Royal Day," Nyasu stating that Musashi's about to get the fifth ribbon she's been wanting for so long is changed to him implying that she'll murder the two of them if she doesn't get what she wants. In "With the Easiest of Grace," Kojirou asking Musashi if she really wants to go after the pokemon that belonged to the woman who gave her her fifth ribbon gets changed to Jessie assuming that James is calling her "simple." Nyasu saying he's tired of trying to go after the Nagisa Tower in "The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World" gets changed to him saying he's going to commit his teammates into a mental asylum.

The constant barrage of insults and threats the trio would sling at each other really changed their characters in the English dub.

But during the days of Kanto Jessie never was this mean, housewife screaming lunatic

No, she just constantly hit them over the head with whatever objects she found laying around.

These character traits were flanderized, overplayed and overdone so much I couldn't buy they were friends no matter how much you payed me.

How many examples do you need? ii kanji already mentioned the whole "She also treated hers and particularly Kojiro's pokemon much better that she had previously. This to the extent that Kojiro's exasperation at her entering contests gradually shifted to supportiveness and by the 2nd half of DP he was happily loaning her his pokemon." And I already brought up how supportive Musashi and Nyasu were of Kojirou after the latter gave up his Sabonea. But if you need more...Kojirou dressed up as Musashi and competing in a Contest on her behalf when she was too sick to do so herself...Musashi and Nyasu help Kojirou try to get the treasure chest back from Kojirou's parents...do I still need to keep going?

Jessie's three other wins were hard to swallow or care about because they all off-screen or quickly done

Again, more screentime doesn't mean "better trainer."

I agree, in Da! they were bad because the writers had reverted back to the same formulaic writing style for them. But in early BW and up until BW2, most of the time they appeared it was because they were integral to the plot and needed to be there, they had foreshadowing moments, big missions and all.

That is not at all what I was talking about and anyone who's ever paid even the tiniest bit of attention to any of my posts on the BW Rockets knows it.

Decolora Adventures Rocket trio was *alright* because they were finally allowed to have personalities again but there was still this sense that the writers were afraid to go full throttle with the trio like they had before BW. They were entertaining, though, so at least they had that going for them.

But the overwhelming majority of BW they were awful. Outside of the two-parters they were just *there* and didn't serve any purpose whatsoever. Do we really need to see them collecting suitcases or sneaking around subway tunnels or looking up a map on their tablet device? Couldn't all of those boring and useless scenes have been skipped with absolutely no consequence? The two-parters themselves were mostly awful with the Meloetta / Kami Trio one being the only one that even approaches being entertaining.

The Rocket trio did not "grow" during the course of BW. They were just there to fill out the generic bad guy role and could have been replaced, with little effort, with any other group of generic bad guys.

But no one's discussing or pining for their characters like BW, no one's wondering what the next big mission is or whether or not they'll grow or what'll happen with their characters.

It seems like you don't understand the concept of "comic relief villains."

Bubble Frog said:
Musashi made it further than the main character in the previous series did in her first Grand Festival. The amount of screentime Musashi's battles got does not change that at all.
She made it further true, but at the end of the day I don't think anyone could say Jessie was better a Coordinator than May. IIRC, didn't the Sinnoh GF have a lesser amount of opponents anyway? 64 IIRC? Jessie's wins were all off-screened or won by other people.(Salvia, James) Again, at the GF it was nothing but off-screen victories and she was quickly dealt with by Dawn's two weakest Pokemon battlers. It's amazing how quickly you'll throw shade at Ash for not been seen training his Pokemon enough in BW but Jessie's off-screened victories are a-Inkay and the markings of a truly great Coordinator.
Like I said, "Musashi lost her temper with her teammates in the Japanese version from time to time, sure, but not anywhere near the extent that Jessie does in the dub." For example, in "Yes in Dee Dee, It's Dawn!," the dub changes Kojirou wishing Musashi good luck to James "shudder[ing] to think" what horrible violence Jessie will dish out on them if she loses. In "Dawn of a a Royal Day," Nyasu stating that Musashi's about to get the fifth ribbon she's been wanting for so long is changed to him implying that she'll murder the two of them if she doesn't get what she wants. In "With the Easiest of Grace," Kojirou asking Musashi if she really wants to go after the pokemon that belonged to the woman who gave her her fifth ribbon gets changed to Jessie assuming that James is calling her "simple." Nyasu saying he's tired of trying to go after the Nagisa Tower in "The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World" gets changed to him saying he's going to commit his teammates into a mental asylum.
I agree, she was a jerk in the English dub but she was a jerk at times in the original Japanese where there are no such things as mistranslations. James/Meowth comments about how Lickylicky not really being a monster, just a Lickylicky with a balloon thing on its neck, Jessie goes all annoyed big-headed snake-tongued maniac on them. Jessie spends the day getting her nails did before the Floroma Contest and acting like a brat princess, Jessie blames Meowth/James for her screw up at Lake Acuity like an infantile brat, Jessie does stupid crap like swallowing a Lum Berry instead of feeding it to her Paralyzed Yanmega because she thinks that'll fix its paralysis - her eating it, Jessie genuinely acted like an unpleasant person a good number of times in DP. Japanese version included, that's the point I'm trying to make. Jessie might have been a bit bratty in Kanto at times but it wasn't overplayed to the extent it was in DP.

No, she just constantly hit them over the head with whatever objects she found laying around.
But you could still really tell they were friends at the end of the day and they didn't act unnecessarily silly all the time and James and Meowth would do the same to their teammates, it wouldn't just be Jessie all the time. Just like how Meowth would claw their faces up or James called them both out in Jessiebelle's debut episode for their behavior.

How many examples do you need? ii kanji already mentioned the whole "She also treated hers and particularly Kojiro's pokemon much better that she had previously. This to the extent that Kojiro's exasperation at her entering contests gradually shifted to supportiveness and by the 2nd half of DP he was happily loaning her his pokemon." And I already brought up how supportive Musashi and Nyasu were of Kojirou after the latter gave up his Sabonea. But if you need more...Kojirou dressed up as Musashi and competing in a Contest on her behalf when she was too sick to do so herself...Musashi and Nyasu help Kojirou try to get the treasure chest back from Kojirou's parents...do I still need to keep going?
Jessie and Meowth only wanted that treasure chest for the treasure themselves, as for James' lack of fear of Jessie using his Pokemon, he would be perfectly okay with loaning her his Pokemon in AG too, they were inconsistent about it a good number of the time, it was more of a running gag than a showing of character development on her part. Jessie straight up made James enter that Contest for her and at the end of it she still acted like a brat with her ribbon in hand, angry because James got more applause crossdressing as her and Coordinating than she ever did. All that episode told me was that James was a better Coordinator in one day than Jessie was her whole life. Though I agree, the Cacnea situation showcased them somewhat well.
Again, more screentime doesn't mean "better trainer."
But Jessie is not a better trainer than any Coordinator that matters on this show except for maybe Kenny, Glameow killed Carnivine, Ariados made a fool of Wobbuffett, Plusle/Minun did in Yanmega/Seviper with relative ease and weren't touched, her Dustox she had for a long time got ate up by Dawn's fresh Piplup easily, Combusken laughed off Chimcheco/Mime Jr.(Though to be fair Mime Jr. seemed to be doing somewhat well). Dustox beat Prinplup in a blink-and-you-miss it battle that hardly mattered. Anyone can beat off-screen trainers and Kenny and Jessie spent most of her appeals showing off herself rather than her Pokemon. She was a plot device for others more often than not. Jessie wasn't needed at the Wallace Cup so guess what? She didn't make it past the first round.
Decolora Adventures Rocket trio was *alright* because they were finally allowed to have personalities again but there was still this sense that the writers were afraid to go full throttle with the trio like they had before BW. They were entertaining, though, so at least they had that going for them.
I just can't take Da! Team Rocket serious at all, they literally contributed nothing to the show at all. Watching them act a fool regularly turned me off from Da! a lot. Then again it was pretty purposeless arc. so I'm not surprised TR hit rock bottom after Episode N. For the record, TR acted comedic at times in Episode N but it wasn't all in-your-face over-the-top idiocy that was prevalent in DP and Da!.
But the overwhelming majority of BW they were awful. Outside of the two-parters they were just *there* and didn't serve any purpose whatsoever. Do we really need to see them collecting suitcases or sneaking around subway tunnels or looking up a map on their tablet device? Couldn't all of those boring and useless scenes have been skipped with absolutely no consequence? The two-parters themselves were mostly awful with the Meloetta / Kami Trio one being the only one that even approaches being entertaining.
I disagree, I liked the Nyagotiator arc. and its lead-in to the Subway two-parter a lot for example. I liked TR in BW because it felt like the writers were doing something new with their characters for once, they had a purpose in the show and agency on their own for once for the first time in years. You could literally replace Jessie's role in the Contest arc. in all of AG/DP with filler characters and the outcome would be the same pretty much. There's no point in TR having zero purpose in the show, comedic relief is not an excuse. It's the same formula every day with them, I half expect Meowth to fall in love with an Espurr or try to quit Team Rocket or something or them to disband sooner or later. We already got an episode of Meowth conning Pikachu and the others and it wasn't even innovative or interesting or different from the usual.
The Rocket trio did not "grow" during the course of BW. They were just there to fill out the generic bad guy role and could have been replaced, with little effort, with any other group of generic bad guys.
They actually seemed to know what they were doing and were handling high-class missions and technology, they seemed to grow as agents well enough in their own right. TR's characters have been largely static since the olden days but as agents they grew in BW.

Sokka from Avatar the Last Airbender is comedic but his character still grew, changed, was engrossing, and was integral to the group of GAang the whole series. It wasn't the same formula everyday and he wasn't used as a needless plot device most of the time. Even the Pilaf trio from Dragon Ball mattered more. Bonnie is comedic at times, but the writers aren't doing exact repeats everyday with her character. Why does TR's archetype excuse them from being static, flat, unneeded, poorly characterized characters? For the record, I'm okay with XY TR the majority of the time. Mainly because I like Inkay, the writers don't shove them into every episode to hijack large amounts of screen time, and they give half-decent battles. Other than that, I don't expect anything big for TR anytime at all aside from the same ol' status quo, XY is an example of them not being as terri-bad as they could have been. They were at their worst in DP, that goes without saying for me. After DP there was really no where to go but up with TR's characters.

But as I said before, TR just aren't a big deal to me at all anymore. They're just there most of the time, get outside Bulbagarden for a while and take a look at the rest of the fandom you'll notice TR are pretty criticized and ignored characters outside of their small still active fanbases of few. They don't get as much fanart, fanfiction, photosets or contributions at all as other characters either. They get little support at all outside older adult fans. During BW, a nice boom in fanart and their fanbase. It's petering out now. You hear Bulbagarderners crying joy over their comedic actions but no ones going to care in 50 episodes what happens with them if it's the same ol' thing we got in the latest episode of XY.

Last edited:
I genuinely believed I wouldn't be arsed to reply anymore but some of the arguments put forward are so frickin' absurd that I can't help myself!

Jessie's off-screened victories are a-Inkay and the markings of a truly great Coordinator.
Oh my goodness, this cracked me up so much! Even at the height of Musashi-mania during DP I don't think anyone tried to suggest that she was "a truly great coordinator" :p

I agree, she was a jerk in the English dub but she was a jerk at times in the original Japanese where there are no such things as mistranslations. James/Meowth comments about how Lickylicky not really being a monster, just a Lickylicky with a balloon thing on its neck, Jessie goes all annoyed big-headed snake-tongued maniac on them. Jessie spends the day getting her nails did before the Floroma Contest and acting like a brat princess, Jessie blames Meowth/James for her screw up at Lake Acuity like an infantile brat, Jessie does stupid crap like swallowing a Lum Berry instead of feeding it to her Paralyzed Yanmega because she thinks that'll fix its paralysis - her eating it, Jessie genuinely acted like an unpleasant person a good number of times in DP. Japanese version included, that's the point I'm trying to make. Jessie might have been a bit bratty in Kanto at times but it wasn't overplayed to the extent it was in DP.
Bloody hell, do you even understand what a personality is? How do any of the above (particularly the Lum berry example) make her a "jerk"?! Her character is (and has always been) that of a bossy & somewhat selfish, but (very) deep down caring person. I'm not sure what this argument even has to do with the original question, but the fact that you obviously don't like her characterisation doesn't mean that she was written any worse in DP than Kanto, or BW or any other saga.

But you could still really tell they were friends at the end of the day
How?

Jessie and Meowth only wanted that treasure chest for the treasure themselves
So why did Musashi and Nyasu agree to getting blasted off by Satoshi in the end? And in fact why did they even bother helping Kojiro at all after they found out what was in the chest? Clearly not because they actually care about him.

But Jessie is not a better trainer than any Coordinator that matters on this show except for maybe Kenny
So what? No one is arguing that she is.

Sokka from Avatar the Last Airbender is comedic but his character still grew, changed, was engrossing, and was integral to the group of GAang the whole series. It wasn't the same formula everyday and he wasn't used as a needless plot device most of the time. Even the Pilaf trio from Dragon Ball mattered more. Bonnie is comedic at times, but the writers aren't doing exact repeats everyday with her character.
I don't know who any of these characters are other than Eureka, but are any of them villains? If not then you've completely missed the point.

I don't see why they can't be both. If they can't always have a victory over Satoshi, why not give them victories elsewhere? Musashi on occasion won a Contest, why not have them deal an actual blow to characters-of-the-week? That would force Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyarth to consider what they're doing when they finally hand a Pocket Monster over to headquarters. Will they take the plunge into actually being villains? Will they set the Pokemon free 'accidentally', but continue to try week-in-and-week-out to steal Pokemon just to save face?

I preferred them as dangerous villains as portrayed for the most part in BW. I'd never had a problem with Team Rocket until DP. That was when their antics just got flat out absurd and they were absolutely nothing but comic relief. If Team Rocket is supposed to be so damn badass as a team, then why should the TRio be such morons?

I don't have any patience when an evil team is just screwing around, I'd like to see them get sh*t done and actually have a goal to accomplish than just idiotic attempts at nabbing Pikachu. It felt like BW was the first time Team Rocket had a legit plan instead of just stealing all of the Pokemon. They had all these plans and things they needed to do like an in-game Team would, and I really liked that and was super disappointed when they returned to being dweebs after the Meloetta Arc and having appearances just for the sake of it.

So I hope Team Rocket can stay somewhat serious for XY. I haven't been keeping up with it in Japanese, so I'm not sure, but I certainly hope they don't regress into their DP selves.

Actually, I'll end the debate here, meh, if the writers and a good amount of the fanbase don't care about Team Rocket, why should I?

Last edited:
I genuinely believed I wouldn't be arsed to reply anymore but some of the arguments put forward are so frickin' absurd that I can't help myself!
Lol, try not to let yourself turn into a loose cannon.

Actually, I'll end the debate here, meh, if the writers and a good amount of the fanbase don't care about Team Rocket, why should I?

You shouldn't be as arrogant to claim that the fanbase doesn't care. They do care and they have a right on their opinion. You feeling that something is good writing does not make it good writing. So please, stop acting like that. Either come up with good counter-arguments or say nothing at all. But don't say that their fans don't care.

You shouldn't be as arrogant to claim that the fanbase doesn't care.
It's not being arrogant, rarely do TR get many contributions from the fandom anymore. It's literally as if rarely any people care for them, how often do you run into up-to-date Rocket art for what they are today? Fanfictions, as well? Photosets? Analysis? All around just love for the Rockets from casual fans, no matter the site, just in-general. Before BW, there was one active hub of TR focus mainly. A shipping thread and that was it really. A lot ignored them or complained about them. If you ever felt mad about BW's TR incarnation, this sounds extreme, but their fandom was horribly dead before BW. BW comes, fans come in bunches claiming to be huge fanatic of lovely charming villains. But what did they do to show their interest before then? It's like a rush of success that comes with being famous. Perception is everything.
They do care and they have a right on their opinion.
I never said that nor did I say everyone didn't care.

You feeling that something is good writing does not make it good writing. So please, stop acting like that.
It's my opinion, my own personal musing, I'm not claiming it to be fact now am I? Peoples' opinions have just as much power as you're willing to give them.

Either come up with good counter-arguments or say nothing at all. But don't say that their fans don't care.
I gave a counter-arguement, not sure if it was good though. Again, I never said all fans don't care. ii kanji on the other hands finds my post "absurd" and is "Cracked up" by them and I see you have nothing to say about that. At the end of the day debates are subjective, opinions are subjective and we're all going with what we find to be better or care more for. So please please please don't try to devalue my argument's worth because it isn't the popular opinion, especially when I've done my best to keep it clean and nice in my replies to them. And have looked at things from their POV and agreed with some points on their post instead of outright rejecting everything they say. Because that's not being a reasonable fan, rejecting everything another says that doesn't suit your ways of thinking, that's just being a hater.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom