• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Rocket's Blasting Off Again!

Drakon

Requiem Raver
Reaction score
As implied by the thread title, this is specifically about the how the trio depart from the scene after their plan fails and/or their latest mech explodes.

I would like to know y'all's opinions on their departure methods and what you would have done differently.

Personally, I'm a fan of the jetpack flight method because it just looks more badass. Unfortunately, my complaint about it is that sometimes, it raises the question: "Where the hell did they get the jetpack from?".

The "Super Smash Bros" star KO departure is...well, I have a mixed opinion about it. It's funny and avoids the "randomly appearing object" problem but to me, it's kind of lame and gets boring after the first few times.

If I were in charge, I'd probably mix up the departure methods. Sometimes, they'll be blasted into the sky. Sometimes, they'll fly off with jetpacks. And sometimes, they'll flee in an escape pod.

I like to think that their new outfits are made of the same material as the game protagonist's backpacks and can hold anything, including the jetpacks.

You care more about where they get a jetpack than them flying hundreds of feet into the air and falling down on ground without injury?

I prefer them with a jet pack. They seem more professional as villains than when they blast off like dorks.

I am indifferent. Blasting into the sky or flying with jetpacks work identically as clichés. I wish they didn't always repeat the same formula.

Besides that, I see all attempts to make Jesse & James seem more professional, after many seasons of foolishness, just ridiculous. It's incoherent seeing them suddenly change like that. I wouldn't mind if there were good explanations for that.

The blasting off thing is a common trope used by many comic relief villains. Seeing Musashi-tachi, a trio of comic relief villains, doing what comic relief villains do is normal.

The jet pack thing was alright the few times it was used well, but most of the time they just lazily had the battles play out exactly the same way they had always been. Pokemon-of-the-day launches some amazing attack, cut to a reaction shot of the Rockets, full screen explosion, and then cut to the Rocket trio flying through the air. Only this time, they're drawn with jet packs on them! That's so totally not the same fucking thing at all!!

The writers tried to come up with different ways of having the Rocket trio at the beginning of BW - smoke bombs, hang gliders - but they soon got too lazy to come up with new ways for them to exit the episodes and had them do the blast off 2.0 thing instead. I think we'd all have liked it better if there had been more variety in the way they left an episode.

the jetpacks didnt resonate well with me. i always thought that team rocket should have stuck with the blasting off as it was one of their signature trademarks. however i also did enjoy seeing some of the alternates that they used moreso early on such as in "go west young meowth" where it looks likes team Rockets dancing off agaaaain because it was a nice alterantive to their tradtional blast off and was amusing to watch

i always thought that team rocket should have stuck with the blasting off as it was one of their signature trademarks.

Yeah, me too. Even if the episodes have been produced taking into account their exportation since Johto, maybe the blasting off didn't have the same appeal for the Japanese public, since Team Rocket don't say a thing about blasting off in the original dialogue. They just say "Ya na kanji!" ("What a bad feeling!") while they are flying off, so the talk had no closer relation with the fact. Then it must have been easier for them to give up the blasting off, even if "Ya na kanji!" was their signature.

I agree that the jet packs make them more bad ass, shame they stopped using them.

"BLASTING OFF AGGGGGGAIIIIINNNNNN"

The jetpack was a nice thing for a change, but gotta go with Blasting Off!

The blasting off thing is a common trope used by many comic relief villains. Seeing Musashi-tachi, a trio of comic relief villains, doing what comic relief villains do is normal.

The jet pack thing was alright the few times it was used well, but most of the time they just lazily had the battles play out exactly the same way they had always been. Pokemon-of-the-day launches some amazing attack, cut to a reaction shot of the Rockets, full screen explosion, and then cut to the Rocket trio flying through the air. Only this time, they're drawn with jet packs on them! That's so totally not the same fucking thing at all!!

The writers tried to come up with different ways of having the Rocket trio at the beginning of BW - smoke bombs, hang gliders - but they soon got too lazy to come up with new ways for them to exit the episodes and had them do the blast off 2.0 thing instead. I think we'd all have liked it better if there had been more variety in the way they left an episode.

Though, I liked the blast off better since it fits Musashi-tachi, at the same time the jet packs allowed them to depart with dignity. But you are right, we need more variations.

Everything else, I agree.

I still wish just once, Team Rocket would let themselves get blasted off, then after that twinkle in the sky, they fly back to the scene with jet packs and strike Ash and friends again, grabbing certain small Pokemon. After they lose that battle... well, I don't know what would happen.

I prefer blasting off. I don't like the jet packs because they look ridiculous. I don't know if it's because it doesn't go with the characters or because the animation itself looks silly, but I don't like it. Blasting off is at least mildly amusing, which fits because TR is not meant to be a trio of dangerous criminals.

I thought in OS they were meant to be harden criminals with comic relief. They are just not meant to be dead serious CIA-esqe agents like BW portrayed them to be.

TRio were never meant to be extremely serious but at the same time they were never meant to be extremely incompetent either.

The blast of concept got dull after they continuously made the blast of the same way.

I don't dislike the jetpacks, but I like the concept of blasting off better. The only problem is that it becomes too repetitive, but that can be easily eliminated with variations. Oh, and also the cheap way they animate them sometimes by having a static frame of them and making it rotate, specially during DP. Let me put it simple.

iQR3GrOxutTil.gif

This is a good blastoff. (There are better ones, I know.)
igp5X1s4lI0ho.gif

This is a bad blastoff. (There are worse ones, I know.)
innx1V5CjbzWX.gif

If we had more of things like this, it would be perfect.

I prefer the usual blastoff.

I never liked Rocket trying to look badass. There are a lot of villains-of-the-day or arc villains to play that role.

Repeatitive blastoffs stopped bothering me long ago... Doesn't means I wouldn't mind more variation.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom