• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Rocket's role in Pokemon leagues

AshK

Ice Master.
Reaction score
Since the Indigo Plateau Team Rocket has tried to sell stuff whether for concessions, or their own crooked business ideas (fake badges). Besides Kanto it was nice to see Team rocket just focused on doing their work and not chasing the twerps and bugging Ash while he's focused on the league. The Boss in Hoenn league was a very nice touch and kept team rocket at bay from the twerps basically which I liked and made for some funny scenes. Team rocket in Indigo plateau I disliked the most and I'm glad they didn't repeat a similar theme in the other leagues. I especially disliked team rocket keeping Ash away from his most important match to date on the show and when he got there couldn't even use Pidgeotto due to it being tired.

What do you guys think, what did you like or not like about Jesse, James, Meowths involvement/side stories during the pokemon leagues?

I think the writers should keep Team Rocket out of the leagues because the league is an important part of the saga for Ash only. Seeing Team Rocket doing something other than trying to steal Pikachu is nice(which we've gotten to see a lot of in Black and White/Best Wishes), but sometimes watching them trying to sell stuff isn't necessary nor amusing and it takes away from interaction Ash could be having with other characters and most importantly the battles. It really pissed me off in Sinnoh especially since their nonsense took away from Quilava's battle with Armaldo and if they didn't show Team Rocket selling stuff they could've shown a full battle and maybe even had Quilava win.

I would like it if they did participate in the league. It would be weird but ever since Jessie showed her competitiveness in contests why not in battles.

I've always hated the fact they were in league episodes since all they do is take time away from Satoshi's battles. Thankfully we shouldn't have to deal with them at all in this series.

I would like it if they did participate in the league. It would be weird but ever since Jessie showed her competitiveness in contests why not in battles.

During "Bad to the Bone" (EP073) Jessie shows interest in participating in the league after having stolen some badges. We even had a fantasy with her participating (or winning, I can't remember) in the league!

Doesn't really bother me that much either way. I hope they don't detract from Ash's screen time but I never really felt like they did in the Indigo League. If anything I found it quite sweet that they always seem to end up routing for him.

I like that idea if only they didn't need gym badges to enter. Obviously they can steel each one and then enter the league but that will be kinda cheap even for them. Jessie would probably do the best job but obviously she needs at least 6 pokemon.

It would be awesome if they actually got to battle in the league but yeah, the chances of that happening are pretty close to none. In any case its great to see that at least they are successful selling stuff.

I always felt that the time that was spent giving TRio their small success in a venue could have been used to improve some of the battles in leagues's past. In the past, the writers had wanted to keep TRio occupied while Ash and co. were either participating or spectating the competition in a way that would not disrupt the commencement of that competition. One could argue that the money that TRio earned by selling merchandise was used to finance some of their machines or paying back some of their debts to their organization.

Those incidents were in the past, however; during a time period when the writers felt an obligation to involve TRio in every single episode. Theoretically, in this series, TRio should not be involved in any major tournaments or story arcs that involve one or more members of the recurring cast. Most of TRio's appearances in BW were largely fulfilled because there were little to no recurring characters filling up the gaps. In a tournament situation which should involve, at the very least, two or more recurring characters, I cannot see the writers inserting TRio for more than a few seconds at a time.

I always felt that the time that was spent giving TRio their small success in a venue could have been used to improve some of the battles in leagues's past. In the past, the writers had wanted to keep TRio occupied while Ash and co. were either participating or spectating the competition in a way that would not disrupt the commencement of that competition. One could argue that the money that TRio earned by selling merchandise was used to finance some of their machines or paying back some of their debts to their organization.

Those incidents were in the past, however; during a time period when the writers felt an obligation to involve TRio in every single episode. Theoretically, in this series, TRio should not be involved in any major tournaments or story arcs that involve one or more members of the recurring cast. Most of TRio's appearances in BW were largely fulfilled because there were little to no recurring characters filling up the gaps. In a tournament situation which should involve, at the very least, two or more recurring characters, I cannot see the writers inserting TRio for more than a few seconds at a time.

However, there is a plot in the Black and White storyline in which the Plasma Crusaders took over the Pokemon League with the help of N; so there's might be a chance that the Rocket Brigade will be involved in the Pokemon league, only to confront their rivals.

As long as they don't screw around with the opening/closing ceremonies, I'm fine with them having their screen-time, not driving Ash away in the back of a truck, but selling 'official' Pokemon League Badges

I've always hated the fact they were in league episodes since all they do is take time away from Satoshi's battles. Thankfully we shouldn't have to deal with them at all in this series.

Though I agree how do you figure that besides them not being seen in a few (maybe several) episodes? I think I answered my own
question
Anyways Hoenn was cool but Sinnoh was not. Give their time to other trainers if not Ash! Sorry if the fluidity in this post is lacking.

I didn't mind it till the D/P league, when they took up time that couldn't have been spent on Ash battling his rivals and showing off his Pokemon I just blah. I hope they keep Team Rocket out of the league episodes this time, they've had episodes without them this series, best time to do that.

I've never been bothered by their presence in the leagues, other than the Kanto one. They've had a perfectly acceptable amount of screentime in every league since.

So you liked watching Quilava get a 10 second fight because of TR?

What nonsense that was. The writers finally evolve the thing after 10 years, and its battle is a grand total of 10 seconds where it KO's itself? What the fuck?

Yeah, I would have done Torkoal and Quilava switch roles between VS Naoshi and VS Takuto.

The least Rocket trio could do for the Unova League is them as merchants once again, then go for a surprise capture somewhere mid-battle, as a sort of parallel to the Plasma in the BW games.

I thought it was funny and amussing in Shinnoh with them selling merchandise and food. I really liked it!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom