• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Skull Speculation

Going off of the idea that Team Skull are pirates, I think it would be a really cool idea that your first encounter with them (or maybe with the leader, if the team is introduced earlier) would be on a boat. Your sailing from the first Island to the second one, and your ship is halted by pirates. There's Team Skull, going in to take all the rare goods on your ship and you go in to stop them. It's just an idea, and I think it would work pretty well. It's been a while since we've got to battle on a ship and instead of battling trainers we're battling to protect the goods on the ship. I hoe to see something like this happen.
If the evil teams base is a pirate ship, then god is real. Team Plasma Frigate was the best evil base in the series, so a new take on the concept is welcomed.

I also hope they put world domination on the shelf in Gen VII. As I've said in other threads, I find the more realistic villains to be more threatening.

So they keeping the evil team thing in the games? That is cool. Team Skull seems interesting. Hope to know more about them and what their plot is.

After looking at the head dude again I've come to the conclusion that I love his design; he's so wanna-be-intimidating looking and dopey that it's hysterical imo. For some reason I imagine him having the same personality as Dr. Doofenshmirtz and I really hope that that's the case because Team Skull would instantly be my favorite team.

Grunts designs look pretty solid too; not entirely sold on the head female's design (lacks originality I feel) but maybe her personality will seal the deal?

@Esserise I think you missed the entire point with Team Plasma. They were made purposefully hypocritical because the entire team was created for Ghetsis' long-game in which he creates a messiah figure that he controls that convinces everyone to get rid of Pokemon so that he can rule Unova.

It's obvious that enough of Team Plasma didn't actually care about their stated goals given how big the new Team Plasma was. They were probably in it because being a part of Plasma meant being part of something "bigger" and only a few people actually cared about N's message (i.e., the people who stayed with old Team Plasma).

Ghetsis had a plan, and he knew how to carry it out, and he knew how to create his team so that when he betrays N (he's obviously not going to let him stay king after getting what he wants from him), the team will follow him. That's why the original Team Plasma were such hypocrites--Ghetsis recruited people who he knew cared more about power and would turn on N once he seized control.

I was aware of that. Obviously there were members who were just in it for the power - we see two of them in the Dreamyard, and then Black 2 has a member who says he used to be a part of Team Galactic as well, and we all know how they were. Granted, however, that I always got the impression that this was the smaller demographic within the team, but I suppose it makes more sense if they were the majority. Anyway, in my comment, I was elaborating on it from the perspective of the people who actually did believe in the message. The "PR" version. What they would say if, like, you interviewed one of them on TV. I figured the "bad apples" kinda went without saying.

Last edited:
So they're called Team Skull? It'd be disappointing if they don't use Skuntank, Koffing, and Zubat.

both of them clearly made the error of underestimating Groudon/Kyogre's power output.

Um, yeah. Invoking a potentially world-destroying being to do your bidding, without fully realising the scope of its power? My point in a nutshell.

And no, f*cking with the ecosystem for your own ends is not ok. The whole message of Pokemon is that we share this planet; it's supposed to be a nice world for everyone, Pokemon and humans. The ideologies of a single criminal gang, whether or not they think they're doing good, should not be allowed to triumph at the expense of others.

but if they're only using Dialga/Palkia to create a new universe for themselves (or at least that was what the grunts believed), then who does that hurt?

I'm going to again point you back to Invoking a potentially world-destroying being to do your bidding, without fully realising the scope of its power.

This is over-simplifying them by quite a lot.

No. Plasma were bullying criminal hypocrites, and worse, they lacked all self awareness and believed themselves morally superior. The worst kind of hypocrites. Pretty simple.

Anyways, my point was just that if Team Skull's plan might involve the potential destruction of the world because it revolves around a kidnapping and harnessing the power of a legendary Pokemon whose power they cannot possibly comprehend but are egotistical enough to assume it'll all turn out in their favour? Wouldn't be the first time. It's kind of a running theme by now :p

So way back during the first trailers I noticed the little tikis you could see in the background of various areas had a pattern on them that brought to mind the skull-like pattern of the Shocker Grunts from Kamen Rider. Now I wonder if I'm not looking too far into things and those tikis are related to Team Skull somehow.

So way back during the first trailers I noticed the little tikis you could see in the background of various areas had a pattern on them that brought to mind the skull-like pattern of the Shocker Grunts from Kamen Rider. Now I wonder if I'm not looking too far into things and those tikis are related to Team Skull somehow.
Mind posting a screenshot for an example? Cause if true, wow. Team Skull possibly having beef with the island challenges, the Tapu 4 and the spiritual angle to the whole main quest would be a great setup for the plot.

Also now that we have much clearer pics taken of the mag, Guzuma isn't wearing a Z-Ring, but he has a purple tribal tatoo on his arm. Loving the design even more. In fact I love the evil team design concept in general its so....radical to the ones before. From Team Rocket to Team flare, the grunts have always been designed to be militaristic, with minimal differences between female and male to show that the ranks are homogenized, one in power and truly dangerous. Only with the Admins and Leaders did we get more unique desjgns, to show that they are unique and a quite different forcr within the evil team. And then the leader of the teams themselves were always wiser looking, almost elederly despite their age(even Cyrus who should be the youngest Team Boss has this wizened look), a dominating force within an already formidable army.
Then here comes team skull, and all that goes out the window. The militarist dress code of the evil teams goes out the window for something more chaotic, more anarchical. Large jewelry to denote their loyalties instead of an emblem, the bandanas and general street wear for the grunt outfits(they are wearing pumps FFS), its all so new.
And then you have Guzuma which completely bucks the Team Boss trend like I said earlier. He looks young, street wise, and the guy you avoid while drinking beers in your neighborhood park at night. I never realized this before, but Team Skull made me realize how the evil teams have insofsar been designed in this Totalitarian Establishment way, and what we have here is something very....anti-establishment. Of course Pokemon has no political commentary or agenda, but this has me very intrigued as to what their end goal could be, as I cannot see world domination or Messaic Delusions of Grandeur high on the list of things Guzuma wants to achieve. This is all wild conjecture, but yeah, Team Skull is here to shake things up. A team who wants to throw some anarchy in to the mix instead of totalitarian order is gonna be fun.

Unlike Team Flare, Team Skull doesn't really fit with what we know of Alola. But that was clearly made on purpose, and it makes a nice contrast. That doesn't mean I'm satisfied with them, as in most media (incluiding the Pokemon games) street gangs are usually potrayed as minor and weak villains. It will take me some time to take them seriously, and possibly even more time as Guzuma seems to be a comedic character. Also I wanted to see a female boss.

That's the best part, you have this street gang which would feel more at home in Kanto or Unova which are the most urbanized regions, in the one region which can compete with Johto for the most rural.

Team Skull's got me with mixed emotions~ On the one hand, the girl and grunts look cool enough (though a bit similar to Kalos Punks), but on the other, the leader looks a bit out of place to me for some reason~ Not that this is a bad thing right away~ That could be his purpose for all I know, so I'm looking forward to what kind of goal they have~

Hopefully it's something somehow related to the Sun and Moon though, as I don't get that vibe right away, and it just seems like it would be a major waste for them not to~

http://i.********/vp/1470864291450.jpg - Plumeria

http://i.********/vp/1470865983270.jpg

"Fellow rejects who could never become captains..."

I wonder who he's referring to.

For some reason I imagine him having the same personality as Dr. Doofenshmirtz and I really hope that that's the case because Team Skull would instantly be my favorite team.
Endless pokes at common metaphors and popular culture, as well as telling the player well in advance exactly what his evil scheme is? Yes please.

Okay so Team Skull is likely made up of rejected Trial Captains, that's interesting...

I wonder if there's going to going to be a superhero outfits because of the Z-Moves because we're going to kill skulls
Sorry, had to make the reference to CoH, but if there anything like the Skulls from CoH, I might like Team Skull

Back
Top Bottom