• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Skull Speculation

Looks like one of the grunts is stood on top of a car in the walled city at one point in the trailer. In fact that scene with the barricades looks like the walled city too.
Yeah they seemingly have taken over that city, its pretty cool to see an evil team actually have so much of a presence in the game.

So English Trailer is also out, and now we have both the Encounter and Battle Music. Definitely interesting, but I need to hear more. Game is giving me crazy B2W2 vibes, especially with the vocals in the encounter theme.
Also looks like I was correct, both Kukui and Guzma failed the island trials. This is gonna be a good plot, I am digging them so far.

I wasn't too jazzed about being stuck with an evil team again since they're breaking so many traditions. But I absolutely love everything about Team Skull so far. I can't wait to see what they do.

Haven't gotten to hear the music yet, but I look forward to it!

Okay, I definitely really like Team Skull after this trailer. Guzma especially. Just crouching during battle? What a perfect way to capture his personality. And yeah, I think it was @Mitchman who talked about how all of the teams until now had a more militaristic/authoritarian feel to them (even Team Aqua to some extent, given that they are like a sailing crew, which does require a certain degree of order), but these guys definitely seem more anarchic. Even the little bit about them having to make their own uniforms, it's brilliant.

If they're trashing Trial sites, then I can't imagine Zygarde would be too happy with them. Hmm...

I noticed that they seem to be touching on a bit of a hip-hop/breakdancing thing with them, which is interesting to me considering that dancing is sort of a prominent thing in these games, with the Z-Moves.

Just saying, Team Skull totally sounds like a team name I would have come up with when I was 12 or 13. Was going through my edgy phase then.

They're so good because even though they have the whole "subvert the existing order" thing going on, their whole ragtag gangster motif brings them to life way better than most of the other evil teams. And I have to second the appreciation of the grunt just freestyling in the background as another one of them talks to the player - dare I say, it almost reminds me of our boy Miror B! Check out his theme music.

Really looking forward to these games and this region.

Last edited:
Pirate theme out of the window--Team Edgelord Skull seems to be made up of a bunch of wannabe gangsters. They don't seem that threatening, yet they may be the only team that I'd find acceptable in terms of awakening a super-powerful legendary Pokemon and not realizing what an awful idea that was.

Yeah they seemingly have taken over that city, its pretty cool to see an evil team actually have so much of a presence in the game.
Team Rocket's taken over a city...twice.

Right, but there is somerhing more enticing about the way their takeover is being presented. Of course its due to the hardware and what not, but Team Skull placing barricadea and what not to defend their position is better then NPCs being placed at the doorways of every building.

I wasn't too jazzed about being stuck with an evil team again since they're breaking so many traditions. But I absolutely love everything about Team Skull so far. I can't wait to see what they do.

I see what you mean, but I think this evil team will in of itself be breaking the usual traditions that evil teams have followed since Gen 3

Both male and female Team Skull Grunts wear matching black Skull Tanks. And these uniforms aren’t even provided for them—all Grunts have to buy their own!
So no rich bad guy funding the team like the case was with Lysandre.

Also that quote makes me think - does that mean these outfits can be bought somewhere? I can picture a similar scene to one in HG/SS where you dress up as Rocket grunt to infiltrate the base. Perhaps we buy the Team Skull outfit and infiltrate their headquarters?

I just saw the trailers and I have to say 2 things.

1. I love how Team Skull not only look like thugs, but they also speak quite thuggish as well.
2. DIFFERENT POKEBALLS. I posted in the "What you want to see, but we won't get thread" that I wanted to see random trainers using PokeBalls other than the standard. Sure the evil team aren't just random trainers, but somebody is better than nobody. Now I'm hoping that we will see more trainers aside from them using other types of PokeBalls!

I love how the grunts have to buy their own uniforms. Those cheapskates.

I wasn't sure about these guys at first but they're growing on me. They're "chaos for the sake of chaos" attitude is pretty refreshing after so many teams with serious and more focused goals. (I'm sure these guys will factor into the legendary plot at some point though)

Well, Team Skull uses the usual culprits in terms of Pokemon teams (Poison, Psychic, Bug). I will be sorely disappointed if some, like the bosses or higher-ranked grunts, don't use Cubone/Marowak. I mean, Cubone wears a SKULL on its head, so don't you think it would make sense for a team known as Team SKULL to use at least Cubone?

didn't team flare grunts have to buy their own outfits too, or was there something else regarding their outfits that was unlike the others?

actually, who even knows if previous team grunts have had to buy their outfits or not

didn't team flare grunts have to buy their own outfits too, or was there something else regarding their outfits that was unlike the others?

I only remember them having to pay a large amount of money to join the group. Nothing specifically about the outfits.

I only remember them having to pay a large amount of money to join the group. Nothing specifically about the outfits.

yeah, that might be it. that was revealed in that wasteland/desert/whatever, wasn't it? just some optional dialogue?

Well there's gotta be some kind of antagonist to have a good story ;)

I kinda like them so far. Very punky. Love the battle theme, and their logo is the best.

yeah, that might be it. that was revealed in that wasteland/desert/whatever, wasn't it? just some optional dialogue?

I think it was mentioned a few times, but yeah, always optionally unless I'm forgetting.

Can someone call me crazy for thinking this but for a while I've been wondering if Team Skull will only have gen 1 and gen 2 Pokemon. I know it's silly but the Alolan forms are making me paranoid.

If they don't end up using the Duskull line I won't know what to think...

I think it's in the route connector between Laverre and Route 15. The Flare Grunts who block you from advancing before completing the Poke Ball Factory say you can join Team Flare for 1,000,000.

I would love to see "Team Eclipse", although I think the Team *blank* naming formula has gotten old, but it's unlikely they'll ever drop that formula.
It's more stale than the badge quest imo. Also all these teams have so many resources and half of them had explanations for how they can afford this stuff. Can we have a villionous group without legions of scrubs for once? And are a little more covert. I mean team Flare was a start for their other problems.

Back
Top Bottom