• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Skull Speculation

Can someone call me crazy for thinking this but for a while I've been wondering if Team Skull will only have gen 1 and gen 2 Pokemon. I know it's silly but the Alolan forms are making me paranoid.

If they don't end up using the Duskull line I won't know what to think...

No, I'm with you. It worries me, too. The fact that the Alolan forms have all been Gen 1 Mons makes me worried of an XY repeat. A little more variety in their teams would be a welcoming change, as well as dismiss any fears that the oldies will overpower the newbies again. Let's hope that they do use other Pokemon outside of Gens 1 and 2, otherwise it'll be deja vu all over again.

i hope they don't use the box legends. not a single team has had a smart approach at controlling them and even when they do use them, they're still too easy for it to be a threat.

i mean, mewtwo blew up a lab (granted, that was a movie and not the game), cyrus got lost in the distortion world with satan, archie and maxie almost destroyed the world by breaking the ecosystem, and lysandre exploded.

even if team skull's plan is to control the legends and they do have a smart plan, we've seen it too much. if they're so weak that they can't take on the equivalent of a gym leader, maybe trying to get solgaleo and lunaala really are the only options to them...which is kinda sad. a low-scale plan sounds better right now.

This is unlikely, but I wish there was a second set of bad guys.

I imagine a mysterious cult and they dress up as Team Skull to pin everything on them so nobody suspects anyone else. In fact, for a large portion of the game, you are unaware that there is a second set of bad guys, but perhaps you notice Team Skull grunts acting weird or unusual (behavior that is uncommon for grunts you encountered up until that point). Only later it is revealed that there are people worse than Team Skull with far more horrifying plans (involving the legends). Eventually Team Skull joins forces with the good guys in order to defeat the other bad guys.

My ideal plot twist would be Lillie being associated with the other bad guys.

Team Skull is confirm so now all we need to know is what is their plan? Revenge for being rejected for the role of trial captain? Control of the region?

Team Skull was unexpected, though I'm welcoming Guzma and his gang! Honestly, I like how Team Skull isn't just another Pokemon mafia or cult. They're a gang of delinquents and street thugs who want to cause trouble for the Alola Region. According to the site, they do go around stealing Pokemon and they want to mess up the Island Trial sites. Guzma was rejected as a Trial Captain, so it seems he has resentment for the whole challenge and this could be a revenge plot. It seems also that he has an ongoing feud with Professor Kukui also.

So far, they really seem interesting and their style is pretty cool.

I agree with you, @Tsu , the battle theme is far better. Has just the right rhythm and beat for them. Their encounter music sounds like bad rap music you'd hear in a back alley, which is very unappealing. But, at the same time, given the "nature" of Team Skull, it does fit the bill. But the battle music is better.

encounter music's not tooooooo bad i guess, but we'll only be hearing a second of it before the fights begin. like always.

Does anyone else get the feeling Team Skull might not be the main villains? I don't know, I'm just getting that vibe. Considering they're shaking up the progression of the game so much with the Island Trials I don't think it's much of a stretch to think they might pull something unusual with the villain team this time around too. (as I recall they said at E3 that they were doing something different with the legendary plot this time around)

I could see Team Skull being a red herring and have some other character (or smaller group of characters I guess, like admins without the grunts) end up meddling with the legendaries.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much....Team Skull just seem a little more sympathetic than what we usually get. Although maybe that's just because they don't want to make the planet explode or run a crime syndicate...so I guess that's not saying much.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the encounter theme. Not that the battle theme is bad, but I find the encounter theme more stylistically unique and unusual for a Pokémon game.

Imagine if Team Skull is a red herring and, and Guzma helps redeem himself for his crimes by helping you take down the real villains and stop the box legendary? Guzma and Team Skull are hailed as heroes (after serving time for all the shit they pulled until then), and Guzma feels that, although he couldn't become a captain, he still helped people. And that's what being a captain is all about and yadda yadda sappy shit.

Idk, I figured saving everyone would provide some closure to his character. Show that despite being an outsider, he still cared about the people who he felt betrayed him.

Had the same idea while reading the thread and am really hoping it happens now. ;_;

I actually like the Encounter Theme more than the Battle one honestly; sounds super unique compared to past game music and adds to the refreshing beverage that is Sun & Moon. Yes it doesn't sound like it fits a Pokémon battle but I guess that's why it's just an encounter theme?

These guys look hilarious. I don't know if their punk attitude and mannerisms is supposed to be taken seriously, but I just crack up laughing whenever I see it.
An interesting thing I've noticed which may or may not have been stated in this thread previously, Guzma seems out for revenge. He calls himself and Kukui "Fellow rejects who could never become captains." I imagine that both tried for the position, and while Kukui accepted being turned down and went into research instead, Guzma didn't take it well, and became obsessed with proving that he was strong enough to be a Trial Captain. He became completely unhinged and came up with whatever crackpot scheme the team's out to pull off. Probably using the box Legenday.
cyrus got lost in the distortion world with satan.
I always thought it was implied that Cyrus stayed in the Distortion World of his own free will. Remember he was just stringing the rest of Team Galactic along, the new world he wanted to create was for him and him alone. I always thought Cyrus succeeded and just didn't get to pull off the follow up.

I always thought it was implied that Cyrus stayed in the Distortion World of his own free will. Remember he was just stringing the rest of Team Galactic along, the new world he wanted to create was for him and him alone. I always thought Cyrus succeeded and just didn't get to pull off the follow up.

That is correct. There isn't really any reason to assume that Cyrus is stuck in the Distortion World - you and Cynthia exit with no trouble whatsoever right after Cyrus vows to unlock the Distortion World's secrets and walks off. And you can freely return to the Distortion World later through Turnback Cave. Cyrus should be able to do exactly the same, unless it's your captured Giratina who is opening those portals for you (but that doesn't seem to be the implication, since you don't ever have to catch Giratina, and the Turnback Cave portal is open in the post-game even if you defeated Giratina during the main storyline).

Back
Top Bottom