• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: [Teen] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Unequivocant

Understood. But Jesus =/= world savior. I more meant he's a religious figure of sorts, who God (Arceus) brought back from the dead to help spread his faith.

And that's...bad? The way you were implying it before made it seem like it was a negative thing for Matheus to be this sort of archetype. I guess, in context of what else you've said, him being revived while not seeming to do anything to benefit the world would be odd. In which case...well, I don't need to repeat myself.

I can get to work on some dialogue changes to help make better sense of things.

This time I post on time!

The night was only illuminated by the stars, the new moon providing nothing.

This is a complaint relevant only to massive nerds like me who think about minor real life physics/geometry facts while reading a fantasy story, but: a new moon can only be a new moon when it is below the horizon. This read to me like there was a moon in the sky, but it was all dark because it was new, which is impossible since if a moon is in the night sky, it will always catch light from the rays of the sun that move past the earth.

space.png

New moon being the one nearest the sun. Farthest away is a lunar eclipse. As for how a solar eclipse happens, my cruddy drawing isn't proportionally correct or 3D enough to demonstrate.

Of course I may have just interpreted it wrong to begin with which made all of this be for nothing, but I don't care, this was an educational and giving experience™ to all sides and that's just beautiful. (An experience which I will leave out of my review word count, though, because I'm not absolutely shameless.) Anyway, back to the fic.

Cassia turned to see a pair of red eyes gazing from a tree, the owner a shadow leaning against it. “Ever since he lost his son, Erik, he’s wanted to have a family of his own—one done right. He killed your parents, but didn’t realize you were there. He kept you out of guilt, and expected you to love him without question—as well as obey him.” He stood up and drew closer, and Cassia saw in the dim light that he was a silver Lucario wearing leather clothing—a Pokemon she knew to be Matheus, the Guildmaster Pokemon.

This chapter otherwise makes sense and is believable, but I found it kinda strange that Matheus just happened to be at the exact spot they landed on. I expected him to mention he'd been following or tracking them or something to justify it, but he didn't. Neither did Cassia acknowledge how surprising this coincidence was, though she might have been too blown away by the fact that a long thought dead mon was still alive to notice, I suppose. Even with that, though, I'd expect her to ask why he even came to her.

We also don't know how Matheus knew so much about Cassia to begin with, but I have a feeling you have that thought out and we'll find out later.

Cassia pulled out the cracked stone, holding it up. “So, this will make him change back?” Matheus nodded.

She stuffed it back into the bag, driving it deep. “He’ll just go back to Arthus. It’s better for him to stay with me.”

These should be in the same paragraph, imo. Changing to Matheus acting doesn't change the paragraph so neither should changing back from him to Cassia.

The Zoroark studied Grom’s hand, then held it in her claws. “Arthus made you come back to life. I guess it’s possible with Golurk, but knowing now what he does, he probably changed you. Changed you to be a better slave. You didn’t want to do anything on your own, and didn’t care if you did. You weren’t what Arceus would have wanted.” Grom continued to stare.

Though good thoughts, saying them aloud clash a bit with how she said she shouldn't talk to him about the past in fear of reawakening memories.

She rubbed it hurtfully as he said

I could only find definitions for "hurtful" that said it was about causing pain, so by that this would mean Cassia rubbed it so that it hurt, which means it probably needs a rephrase.

I’ve had two-thousand years to try and forget it,

Take away hyphen. I think the rule went something like "two thousand years" and "a two-thousand-year-long wait".

He took Cassia’s berries and ate them in one bite, swallowing hardly

Correct form is actually "hard". The word is one of those exceptions where the adverb version doesn't end in -ly (other example: "fast"). "Hardly" only means "barely" nowadays.

this is also very impressive from Matheus as Wacan berries are stated to be 25cm long I'm just joshin. I don't think there's a single person on earth that requires anyone to use correct berry sizes in their fics, given they're ridiculous.

He knelt next to the water, hovering over a school of red Basculin, the wild Pokemon staring back vaguely.

I'm not sure what "vaguely" means in this context?

Cassia looked back with a smile. “That’s never happened before.”

This sounds just a tiny bit weird to me, given she hasn't known Grom for that long, and...

Cassia cringed, leaning away. “I…haven’t really seen a wild Pokemon before, let alone eaten one.”

The remark is odd as the lack of wild Pokemon would be the thing primarily preventing that from happening rather than Grom being unapproachable when he wasn't yet given his willpower and emotions back. Technically she wouldn't be able to say if that was out of the ordinary behavior for the Fletchling or not.

Cassia nodded emphatically, turning to Grom. “You really have to try this!”

“Hawm?” Grom pointed to his head, where his mouth would be if he had one.

“Oh.” Cassia paused, then shrugged. “Forgot about that.” She continued eating her Basculin.

I really love the interaction between Grom and Cassia in this. They're darn cute together.

“Roll. In the blanket,” Matheus repeated.

Unsure of why he’d ask such a thing, she rolled, wrapping herself in the blanket. The warmth inside contained, the brisk night air did nothing to affect her anymore.

Matheus leaned down. “See why I asked you to roll?” He turned to Grom and patted his arm. “You’re on guard duty. Make sure you charge up.”

...Well, it is good advice, but I would have expected Cassia to figure that out on her own. Blankets are meant to keep you warm and they do more if they cover you from all sides.

Cassia was back in her room in the Guild, sitting on her bed. The chair in the center remained still, a red claw resting on its arm. It spun around, and she saw Arthus sitting in it, resting his head on his arm, his eyes dark.

WE MEET AGAIN, MISS ZOROARK

Which does make me wonder... if that's not a swivel chair, how'd it spin around? Levitation or with awful screeching?

Matheus gazed at him, wide-eyed. He removed his paw, then solemnly said, “So…Arthus tested his ideas on you.” He put a paw to his brow, baring his teeth. “He took your will to ensure you did as he said, and your emotion so that you wouldn’t feel tempted to rebel. He let you keep your memory, and therefore, your spirit, so that you can realize that you are doing what is right.” He clenched his paw. “To experience that…is indescribable. It’s exactly what Arthus wants: a world where you are forced to do good.”

Well welcome justification for why Arthus' plan must be stopped, for a while there it almost sounded good. Grom's nightmare, while I did feel like it could have been a tiny bit shorter, is a good and vivid way of showing concretely how the villain will make life bad for everyone if he succeeds.

General Comments

The exposition on how Aura and Life works feels natural as Matheus is teaching about it and demonstrating it to Cassia - in another context, it would likely have felt clunky.

I also agree with Ambyssin on a lot of points, but you already addressed those.

This chapter otherwise makes sense and is believable, but I found it kinda strange that Matheus just happened to be at the exact spot they landed on. I expected him to mention he'd been following or tracking them or something to justify it, but he didn't. Neither did Cassia acknowledge how surprising this coincidence was, though she might have been too blown away by the fact that a long thought dead mon was still alive to notice, I suppose. Even with that, though, I'd expect her to ask why he even came to her.

We also don't know how Matheus knew so much about Cassia to begin with, but I have a feeling you have that thought out and we'll find out later.

Well, I had to make an adjustment to the introduction of the chapter due to a changed scene in Bonus Chapter 1. I'll change it to make it more realistic.

Though good thoughts, saying them aloud clash a bit with how she said she shouldn't talk to him about the past in fear of reawakening memories.

I may revise that section due to this.

This sounds just a tiny bit weird to me, given she hasn't known Grom for that long, and...

Well, she's been around him for a few years for training, so she's at least seen him walking around. He certainly didn't have Fletchling hopping on him in the Guild.

The remark is odd as the lack of wild Pokemon would be the thing primarily preventing that from happening rather than Grom being unapproachable when he wasn't yet given his willpower and emotions back. Technically she wouldn't be able to say if that was out of the ordinary behavior for the Fletchling or not.

I'm slightly confused by what you mean here. It's as if you were talking about the initial question, then go back to the previous one. I don't really know what you're saying here.

...Well, it is good advice, but I would have expected Cassia to figure that out on her own. Blankets are meant to keep you warm and they do more if they cover you from all sides.

Well, she hasn't slept out in the open before; up until she left, she was sleeping indoors, where she didn't need to have blankets all the time. She certainly wouldn't have thought to roll in the blanket; she'd be more likely to simply lie on top of it, or have it on top of her.

Which does make me wonder... if that's not a swivel chair, how'd it spin around? Levitation or with awful screeching?

Don't forget, this is a dream, but I can understand the concern.

I'll get to work on these points later today. Thanks for the review, as always!

Well, she's been around him for a few years for training, so she's at least seen him walking around. He certainly didn't have Fletchling hopping on him in the Guild.

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I remembered the timeskips wrong and thought Grom was awakened 2018 AU, which would have made Cassia know him for at most one year.

I'm slightly confused by what you mean here. It's as if you were talking about the initial question, then go back to the previous one. I don't really know what you're saying here.

I started writing a reply to this, but halfway through I actually realized my point made no sense and/or was irrelevant. Sorry again, I guess I shouldn't try to finish reviews when I'm half asleep lol. So, yeah, you can forget the whole thing.

In the midst of writing the three bonus chapters, I forgot my initial plan of telling Cassia's backstory: as half of chapter 11. Obviously, it has taken up far more than that, and thus, will have to restructure my chapters to accommodate that change. One chapter will be taken out of Act 3, which, given the amount of content introduced with what is now Act X, should be made up for. Chapter 11 will possibly end up slightly longer than usual as a result, but everything should still flow well.

Also, my story is now on Serebii, and thus, will also be receiving reviews from there. I won't bother you with the details, but just know that unexpected chapter updates may happen due to my presence. I'll always let you know what changes are made through the changelogs, and will make a brief notification with the new chapters.

With that said, I look forward to posting Bonus Chapter 3 this weekend, bearing in mind that Chapter 10 will not be posted due to the unexpected restructuring of the outline. I'll see you then!

Chapter 12: Precept
Chapter 12: Precept

Cassia gazed up at the intricate arc set within the door of the cabin. The heavy oaken door guarded the humble building, black slate making the sloping tiles, with a brick chimney puffing smoke form its top. Cassia’s feet stood atop a low wooden porch, where firewood lay stacked under a shrouded window. The sunlight reflected off of it, nearly into Cassia’s eyes with the bright noonday sun.

Grom stood behind her, thinking it best not to stand on the porch. “Haw-grawm.” He nudged Cassia, waving his hand toward the door.

Cassia adjusted her bag, nodding her head impatiently. “I know, I know!” She sighed, looking at her feet. “I just…don’t know. Do you think she’ll care that I’m a Zoroark?” Given her ancestor’s reputation and the reaction of those Pokémon at the Guild, she figured that Equivos didn’t view her species too highly.

Grom shrugged. “Graw, graw grawm.” He pounded his chest, then pointed at the arc on the door. “Gro-hawm.”

Cassia studied the arc more closely, then realized it was an intricate circle in the shape of the Arc of Arceus. ‘How did she get away with something like that?’

Knowing that she couldn’t stand there forever, she rapped the door. After a minute or so, there was still no response.

Cassia knocked again, then exclaimed, “Hello? Is anyone here? I was sent by Matheus Lucario!”

Again, no response. Cassia slowly turned away and stepped toward the edge of the porch. “I guess she’s out.”

The door suddenly creaked open, seemingly inviting her in. She turned back around, disconcerted by what had just happened.

“Come in, come in! I’ve been expecting you,” an elderly voice said.

Cautiously, Cassia stepped back onto the porch, then peeked her head inside. The cabin was a single large room with two doors to one side, separating them. A small table with two chairs stood in the center, in front of a series of cabinets, a stove, and a bucket filled with water. To the right were two cushioned chairs, with a shelf of books between them, and a small wooden board with a sack on top. A series of lanterns with large candles inside hung from the ceiling, unlit. Along the walls, elaborate portraits showing a variety of Pokémon and scenes hung, freshly dusted and polished.

The Zoroark treaded into the dim atmosphere, feeling a sense of peace going inside. She heard a massive creak behind her and saw Grom dare take a step onto the porch, the wood sagging under his weight.

“I’m afraid that your large friend will have to stay outside; my old house wasn’t built for the likes of him.”

Cassia looked back at him and sympathetically said, “Sorry Grom; you just wait outside.”

Grom stepped off the porch and crossed his arms. “Hrm.” He trudged to a large oak next to the cabin and leaned on it, the trunk bending upon contact. “Gaw!” he pouted, slamming his fist against it, causing several leaves to fall.

Cassia turned back to the house and stepped forward, studying the home. The door closed with a prolonged squeak, and darkness shrouded her vision.

She squinted up at the lanterns, noticing that the doors to the candles lay open. She held up her hand, causing a tiny crimson flame to come into it. She steadily threw sparks onto the candles, causing them to light with a somber orange light.

Satisfied with the light level, she peered at the portraits, noticing a young Gardevoir predominantly among them. Amongst her, many other species posed alongside her in a variety of landscapes, and in one picture, she embraced a Gallade.

“So, you’re Arthus’ kin.”

Cassia whipped around her and eeped, meeting the gaze of an elderly Gardevoir. Her once-vibrant hair was striped with silver, and her face was lined with wrinkles. Her dress hung limply around her legs, and she stood with a slight hunch, supported by a wooden cane she held in her hand. Despite these infirmities, her eyes were still a bright scarlet, gazing at Cassia lightheartedly.

“Thank you for lighting my lanterns, but I’d rather wait for when I need them,” she croaked. She focused on the velvet curtains covering the large windows of the cabin. They parted, coating the inside with vibrant yellow light.

Cassia stared in amazement as the Gardevoir turned back to her. “You’re Psychic.”

She gave her a curious look. “You haven’t met a Gardevoir before?” she smiled softly, shuffling to one of the cushioned chairs. “Well, I wouldn’t blame you, given your upbringing. The Guild is a wretched place to be raised.”

Cassia gasped, pointing at her. “How do you know that? I haven’t met you before.”

The Gardevoir made a coughing laugh. “Us Gardevoir primarily use our psychic abilities for reading minds and seeing emotions. I can’t read Dark Pokemon like you very well, but I can manage. ” She sat on the chair with a groan, then set the cane at its edge. “Plus, Matheus came by here over a week ago as he was going to the Guild; he filled me on the details.” She clasped her hands together. “As you said, we haven’t met, so I believe introductions are in order. I’m Arianne Gardevoir, and given your little greeting, you’re Cassia.”

Cassia nodded, adjusting the bag over her shoulder again. “That’s right. I came here with a Golurk named Grom. He, uh, doesn’t talk much.”

Arianne nodded sagely. “Well, all the better. Golurk don’t usually have much useful to say.” She held a hand to the side of her mouth and whispered, “To be honest, they’re rather dense.” She leaned back, acting as if nothing happened. “So, old Matheus sent you here. Wish he could’ve said a proper hello before he dropped you off, but I guess you’ll do.” She patted the chair next to her and exclaimed, “No need to stand there, I have room enough for you. Just mind the fur.”

Cassia, assured that Arianne meant well, sat in the other chair, pulling off her bag and setting it at her side. It suddenly floated in the air, and Cassia reached out for it.

Adrianne reached over and grabbed her claw, saying, “No need to worry.” It floated to a peg and hung from it. The lip opened, and the Arceist Tome hovered out of it, easing into Cassia’s lap. Arianne added, “Just want to make sure you have the tome is all.”

Cassia traced her claws over the cover, like she had done many times before. “I noticed that you had the Arc of Arceus on your door. Why is that?”

Arianne sighed, waving her hand. “I’m not in much a mood for telling stories at the moment. You happened to wake me up from my nap.” She leaned forward. “However, I’m interested in hearing yours. It's a long way from the Guild, and old Matheus certainly wouldn’t let things be boring.”

“How do you know Matheus anyway? He told me he kept himself private.”

Arianne laughed, holding her chest. “Is that what he told you? My, he had you good. You met him, so tell me, do you really think he’s the hermit-y type? Living all alone and avoiding Pokémon?”

Cassia looked up in thought. ‘Well, he certainly likes talking. He likes making food and training with others too.’

“Don’t keep it all in your head; I may be a mind reader, but I can’t do it so well with the likes of you,” Arianne added.

Cassia looked back down and laughed slightly. “Yeah, I don’t see him living on his own for long.” She cocked her head and frowned. “But why didn’t I hear about him until I left?”

Arianne waved a dismissive hand. “Arthus believed he killed him way back when, so do you really think he’d believe anyone that told him he came back from the dead?” She shook her head. “He’d likely run ‘em through if they even breathed a word about Matheus, so they just kept quiet about the whole thing if they knew.”

Cassia considered her thought, thinking it made sense. She went to say more, but Arianne held up her hand. “Before we talk about anything else, there are some ground rules we have to set. While I trust you because Matheus sent you, we can’t just have you doing whatever you please.” She held up a finger. “One: unless I say so, you aren’t to go out of sight of the house. If you see anyone coming, come straight here; your status as a Zoroark would make you a prime target.”

She held up a second finger. “Two: read the Tome every day. I know you probably won’t have issue with that, but by ‘read’, I mean mark and annotate it, so you can make connections between the verses. Your job as a teacher will be far easier if you do.”

Cassia tried to interject, but Arianne stopped her. “Three: you are not to leave your bedroom when night comes. I’ve been taking steps to ensure Pokémon don’t find this place, and that’s part of my routine.”

She lowered her hand. “And four: your big galoot of a Golurk has to help out with chores, just as you will. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m rather old, so I shouldn’t be doing things by myself if there are younger and stronger folks around.” She clasped her fingers, tapping patiently against them. “Any questions?”

“Yes,” Cassia blurted out. “What do mean I have to mark the Tome? It’s too valuable for me to do that!”

“Really?” Arianne patted her lap. “Let me see. I have an eye for this sort of thing.”

Cassia hesitantly obeyed, the leather cover scraping against her claws. Arianne bent over it and opened the cover, then chuckled. “Well…I didn’t know you’d be bringing this copy.”

“What do you mean?” Cassia asked, coming around the chair and staring at the Tome. Arianne’s finger lay just under a faded, scrawling signature, the letters barely reading out to be ‘Aleron’.

“Like many Gardevoir, I can see glimpses of the future. I saw you coming here and bringing the Tome and made sure to prepare for such. What I was not expecting, was the very first Arceist Tome to be in your possession.” Arianne tapped the signature. “This was likely Aleron’s final writing, as none of the others were signed this way.” She reached for the shelf and pulled an identical book from it, except it appeared to be far newer. The pages were white, and the cover was smooth, the Arc of Arceus with the burning blaze still shining. She cracked it open over Cassia’s copy and showed the front cover. Beneath the title, Aleron’s signature was absent.

Cassia gaped at the connection. “I definitely shouldn’t write in it.”

“What gave you the thought?” Arianne slapped her playfully, flipping past the title page. Beyond it, various lines and circles scattered the page, connecting the verses together in what seemed to be a haphazard way.

“Listen to what you can do if you connect them,” she added. She opened to a random page, then after scanning it for a moment, pointed to a verse.

Dictations 10-

And my work is to have my creations return to me by the hand of my prophets, my priests, and my teachers.

She traced her finger across a curving line, meeting with a reference to another verse. She turned to it, then said:

Proclamation 4-

For the world obeys me and shall return to me. My Legends came forth, and returned to the Tree of Life, as should my mortal creations do.

Cassia gazed at the words, astounded. “That was…amazing.”

Arianne smiled, tapping her head. “There’s only so much you can keep up here.” She pointed to the tome. “So, write it down here.” She looked out the window, noticing Grom leaning against the oak. “How about you tell Grom that he can come by the back window and have a talk with me; he looks so grumpy out there.”

~~~~

At the kitchen counter, Arianne offered a handful of walnuts through the window to Grom, who crushed them in his grip. He dropped the remains into Arianne’s hand, chuckling.

Arianne put them into a bowl, then set to cutting lettuce with a knife. “Pokémon always seem to forget that other foods than berries exist in this world: bread, apples, cucumber, the whole like. I have some sent daily by a trusted Unfezant, along with plenty of berries.”

Cassia watched from behind, sitting at the table. “Most everything I’ve eaten involved berries in some way. I even had some Basculin when I was with Matheus.”

“Did you now? I’ve always wondered how one tastes,” Arianne mused. She set the lettuce aside and started chopping Pecha berries, cutting their pink flesh cleanly. “I won’t deny that berries are delicious and nutritious. I just feel that so much focus is put on them that Pokémon don’t seem to notice the other good things in life.” She set the knife down putting the chopped berries into a bowl.

“So, are there a lot of…farmers, I guess?” Cassia asked.

“Not as many as you’d think. Berry bushes are very productive, so many just start up a field near a town and make that their main food source.” She opened a cupboard and took out a loaf of bread with a white cloth under it. “Berries also happen to be very travel-resistant compared to other foods, so it’s little wonder that they’re grown the most.” She set the bread on the table, then placed the berries and lettuce with it. “Still, Pokémon appreciate having more than the powerful flavors of berries, so we thankfully still have them.” She carried two plates and another knife to the center, then sat down with a sigh.

Cassia reached out to take a berry, but Arianne swatted it, giving her a scornful look. “Always thank Arceus for the food. We might grow it, but he’s the one who created it in the first place.” She clasped her hands and closed her eyes. Cassia followed.

“Great Arceus, let us be able to serve you in all your ways. We give thanks for your gift to us and wish to receive more until the final days.” Arianne opened her eyes, then took a plate, putting a handful of lettuce on top of it.

Cassia took the other plate and took a handful of berries. “I didn’t know you had to do that.”

Arianne shook her head, cutting into the bread with the knife. “Well, I wouldn’t blame you, given your upbringing. Even then, it isn’t necessary; it’s just a nice thing to do for the one who gave it to us.” She took the slice of bread and placed several berries on top of it. “The Usurper is the one who raised you, yes?” Cassia nodded, memories returning to her of his care.

Arianne sighed, pulling lettuce from the bowl. “He could’ve been a great Pokémon. He did so much good before that dreadful Gregorius came into the picture.”

“What do you know about Arthus?” Cassia asked, taking a leaf and nibbling it.

“Not much, but I don’t desire to know more. He suffered plenty of grief in his youth, starting with his parents, then to his own wife, even with Matheus. It went on to his son, Erik, then to you, I’m sure. He is such a sad thing.” She shook her head. “But I don’t sympathize with him. Parents aside, he caused his own misery, but he blames Arceus for all of them, claiming that his decision to let Pokémon have the choice to do evil brought them away from him. He is terribly misguided.”

“He was so nice to me though. I just…haven’t seen anything for myself. I’ve only heard about what he did.” Cassia set down the leaf, twirling a length of her mane around her claw.

Arianne looked away for a moment, then looked back at Cassia. “You’ve only seen his good side. You’re unsure of his true identity.” She massaged her temple. “I was hoping to avoid this, but it appears I will have to show you what he’s done to be the Usurper.”

After finishing their lunch, Cassia sat on a chair, now situated in between the table and the bookshelf. Arianne stood behind her, closing her eyes and hovering her hands over Cassia’s head.

“I can give you a brief vision of what he did when he returned eighteen years ago. I’m warning you now: given your experience with him, it may come as a shock. Are you sure you want to continue?”

Cassia nodded. “I’m sure.” She felt Arianne’s hands set on her head, and blackness overcame her sight.

~~~~

Bodies of Pokémon littered the streets of Lucario Guild, the buildings streaked with blood and what inhabitants remained shivering in their homes. Darkness overcame the Guild, the marvelous tower a beacon of a gruesome victory.

Between the hovels of the Pokémon, a figure slunk in the shadows. Its mane crept into a home, and in a flash of red light, slayed the Pokémon inside. It crept back out with a cackle, its claws scraping against the stone.

Something cracked, and it turned, revealing the pale, blue eyes of the Usurper. “I said no one leaves,” he seethed, sprinting toward the source. He found a Tangrowth ambling toward the gate of the guild, alongside a gathering of Tangela, wailing at the sight of Arthus.

Arthus held up a claw, crimson flame enveloping it. “Traitors!” He threw it at the Tangrowth, and the vine Pokémon erupted in flames, shrieking and rolling in an attempt to be rid of it. The Tangela scattered, only to be struck by the Usurper with the same deadly weapon.

Moments after, he walked amongst the ashes of his victims, tsking. “What a shame. I had to waste my Life on fools like you.” He looked up at the raging clouds, the rain halted hours ago.

“Now to kill those traitorous Lucario…just like Matheus.” He stabbed the ground, tendrils enveloping him and dragging him underneath.

The scenes blurred together, and Arthus now stood outside a cave, breathing heavily and looking up to the sky. His claws were still covered with blood, his Life still pulsing into the air.

He slowed his breathing, then searched the area around him. “I can’t let her see me like this.” He dove to a nearby stream and splashed his claws into it, rubbing them free of the crimson marks of murder.

He held them up, satisfied with his work, then proceeded to wipe away the rest of the remains on his fur. Rubbing a particularly large stain, he muttered, “I will make sure she loves me, no matter what it takes. Arceus took Erik from me; I won’t let him do the same with her.” He looked up, washing his claws in the stream once more. “She won’t need to see any of this. She can live a perfect life, free from all the pains of the world—even if I’m part of it.” He looked down for a moment, then ran to the entrance of the cave, winded from the sudden burst of speed.

“I’m here! I’m here!”

~~~~

Cassia gasped, standing up from her chair. She turned to Arianne, who closed her eyes and grimaced.

“I…I know now,” Cassia croaked. She imagined all the other atrocities Arthus had committed, from the death of all the Lucario, to him standing up to Arceus and absorbing him into the Seal. The fond memories of her past were crowded out by these vicious thoughts. Tears fell from her face.

Arianne hobbled over and embraced her, patting her mane. “I shouldn’t have shown you that. It was too much.”

“No,” Cassia sniffed, “I needed to see it. I know that now.”

After an afternoon of silence and reflection, Cassia sat on the bed in her room, her bag at her side. She stared at a blank page in her sketchpad, the lessons from Arthus returning to her. The sparse furnishings in the room reminded her of the many belongings she had in the Guild, never to be seen again. The fresh air throughout smelled nothing like the iron-filled dust of the canyon, and the morning light shined over the plains instead of a vast wall. She was in foreign territory, away from what she had known all her life, and only now did she feel pangs of homesickness.

She took a black-smudged sack from the bag, a length of charcoal poking out of it. She reached to take it, but pulled away, setting down the bag. “Arthus drew all the time. I don’t want anything to do with him.” She lay the sketchpad over it, closing the cover. “Not after all he’s done.”

A knock came at the door, and Arianne stepped in, taking a brief look at her surroundings. “I meant to put more in here, but—” She stopped herself, noticing the drawing supplies. “I didn’t know you were an artist.”

Cassia shook her head. “Not anymore. Arthus taught me everything about it, and he’s a horrible Pokémon. Why should I do what he did?”

Arianne sat on a chair next to the bed, leaning over her cane. “Is that what you think? That because an evil Pokémon drew pictures, that you shouldn’t?” She looked down at her cane. “My husband, Samuel, was raised by a neglectful father. He often beat him as a Ralts, and forced him to work, claiming that he needed to be disciplined. At night, his father often went to town and fought the local Guild Pokémon while in a stupor. He rarely lost.” She stared back at Cassia. “What do you think my Samuel did?”

“Ran away? Promised to never fight like his dad?”

“No. He became even better!” She stamped the cane. “When he finally evolved to a Gallade, he snuck out at night to train with the guards, then returned before his father ever noticed. He finally grew strong enough to restrain him and get him into prison. He saved many Pokémon who regularly suffered at his hand!” She gave Arianne a stern look. “Do you think his father would have been stopped unless Samuel decided to train himself?”

Cassia shook her head reluctantly. “No, but what does that have to do with me?”

“It has everything to do with you! Tell me, in all your lessons, what did you learn?”

Cassia struggled to remember, the memories of Arthus difficult to remain with. “He always said for me to put my full feeling in my drawing, so that it can make others who look at it feel the same.”

Arianne nodded, then said, “And tell me, why do you think Samuel fought his father?”

Cassia made no reply, only cocking her head curiously.

Finally, Arianne finished: “Love. He saw the Pokémon in the village and how his father affected them. He trained because he wanted to protect those Pokémon, because he loved them.” She tapped the pad with her cane. “Draw for your love of the world, for the Pokémon, and for Arceus.”

Cassia smiled, closing the pad. “I like that. I just…I just don’t want to be the same as Arthus.”

“You use Life, don’t you? As well as Arthus? Does that make you the same as him?”

“No, of course not!” Cassia exclaimed. “He uses Life to kill and control! I just want to help Pokémon with it!”

Arianne pointed at her with a grin. “There’s your answer. Just because someone bad shares a trait with you, it doesn’t mean you’ll end up like them.” Arianne lifted the charcoal sack with her telekinesis and held it in front of Cassia. “Now how about you draw something for me; I couldn’t make a tree for the life of me.”

~~~~

The wind rushed through Arianne’s pale green hair as she stood, looking to the right. Cassia sat on a chair, scribbling carefully on her pad. Grom remained near the house, taking logs and prying them apart, splitting them perfectly.

Arianne sighed, looking at a large depression in the plains. “Samuel and I often had picnics down there, on days like this. I haven’t done anything like that since he passed.”

Cassia rubbed away a line, taking a glance at Arianne. “What was he like?”

“He was like no one else. He was…smart. Strong, brave. Everything you’d want in a husband.” She held up her cane, rubbing the aged surface. “He gave me gifts. He saved Pokémon in danger. He used to work for the Guild before he died; he was the captain of the outpost down in Hereb, a village not far from here.”

“Really?” Cassia asked, holding up the drawing and comparing it to her subject.

Arianne sighed deeply. “Yes…before Arthus returned. After he murdered the Lucario, he sent Gardner to handle the Outposts, to ensure they were loyal to him. One day, Arthus came to Hereb disguised as a captain; that’s how he’s managed to avoid having others find out about his return. He came to Samuel and demanded him to swear loyalty to him.” She cringed, closing her eyes. “That night, the villagers returned with his body.”

Cassia covered her mouth. “I’m so sorry!”

Arianne waved her hand, shaking her head. “No need. They buried him on the hill behind the house. I go visit him, of course, but…” She took a deep breath, leaning on her cane. “I just wish I could see him again. Eighteen years is a long time to be without the one you love.”

Cassia stopped drawing, thinking of Arthus. ‘Corrina died over two thousand years ago, and Arthus is still pained by her death. He…he must want to see her again.’

The Zoroark thought for a moment, then said, “I…I could maybe look at your memories, then make—”

“No. I…I couldn’t bear it.” Arianne cleared her throat, then said, “Are you done?”

Cassia nodded her head, then Arianne steadily walked to the house, leaving Cassia on the chair.

She entered the doorway, and Grom halted his chopping and stepped toward his master. “Gra-hawm?”

Cassia closed her sketchpad, looking up at the sky. “An illusion’s purpose is to trick the mind…” she muttered. She looked back to the pad.

“But drawing is a way to show what you think of someone…”

~~~~

Cassia peered over Arianne’s shoulder, watching the Gardevoir cut carrots. The sun sank over the horizon, the lanterns now lit to provide their light.

After several moments of gazing, Arianne finally turned and said, “Despite my age, I am fully capable of making dinner. Why don’t you read the Tome, or…something of the sort, while I finish up?”

Cassia backed away and said, “Sorry.” She began looking at the many pictures that lined the walls, taking in the scenes that lay within.

Most of the pictures showed a young Gardevoir with a handsome Gallade, standing in front of some exotic location: a coastline, mountain, ravine, even a jungle. Some showed them sitting together, while others with them dancing.

Cassia came to what seemed to be the central picture, framed above the bookshelf. It showed Samuel Gallade looking up at the moon at a starry night sky, with Arianne sitting at his feet. Surrounding the moon, the Arc of Arceus appeared in silvery traces.

She continued to study it, amazed by the artistry. ‘That must have taken hours to make…I don’t think I could ever do something like it.’ She studied their faces in particular. ‘They’re so…detailed. I can see their wonder and happiness, like it’s really there.’

“Dinner’s ready!”

Cassia blinked, shaking her head. She went to the dinner table, thinking of how she could help Arianne.

Later that evening, after dinner, they took to reading the Tome, finishing with Arianne reading a verse:

And so, we learn that through my gifts to my creations, my works are brought forth. Let them be used for the benefit of all.

Cassia carefully underlined the verse in her tome, while Arianne closed her own. The Gardevoir nodded appreciatively and said, “That should do for tonight.” She stood up, placing the tome back in the bookshelf. “I expect that you’ll take care of the lanterns?”

“Uh-huh,” Cassia said, flicking her wrist. The lanterns extinguished, their Life-borne light drowned by their master.

Arianne yawned, then shuffled to her bed. “I’ll see you in the morning.” She entered her bedroom, then closed the door.

Cassia smiled, then dashed to her own room, gently closing the door and hopping to her bed. She lit the candle on the nightstand, then pulled out her sketchpad, taking a length of charcoal from the bag and scraping across a fresh page.

At the window, Grom’s eyes shined through. He pushed it up with a finger, then craned his head inside. “Graw?”

“Not now, Grom, I’m busy,” Cassia replied, her eyes darting across the page.

The Golurk hmphed, then took a look at the page. “Hawm?”

“I’m making something for Arianne. Just watch and listen, okay?” Cassia grumbled, erasing a portion of the drawing with a bit of clay.

Grom hmphed again, closing the window and tromping off.

Hours later, Cassia crept out of her room, her sketchpad in tow. The moon half-full, it barely illuminated the floorboards as she opened the door to Arianne’s room. She peeked her head inside, finding that her bed was made, with her nowhere in sight.

She shut the door, bewildered. ‘That’s strange. She wouldn’t go to sleep elsewhere, and there’s no lights on.’ She looked out the nearby window. ‘Did she go outside?’ She stared out of it, but found nothing but bare, grassy fields.

She went to the kitchen window and studied the hill behind it. A gentle blue light shone at the top, the source blocked from view.

Her curiosity piqued, Cassia exited the house, disregarding Arianne’s third rule. She walked carefully through the grass, the blustery gales of before now no more than a gentle breeze. It held a peculiar air to it, however, causing her to shudder occasionally.

She began climbing up the hill, passing Grom, who peacefully slept standing up. As she climbed the hill, the chilling wind grew colder, while the ethereal blue light grew brighter.

Cassia cocked her head, hearing a voice emanating from the top, and fighting the growing cold, heard the words clearly: “You worry too much; no one has come to hurt me for years.”

Another voice whispered in low tones, and Cassia shivered, feeling that somehow, she was being referred to.

“No, that can’t be right. No one knows about this spot except you and me,” the other said, the grass whishing as they stepped closer to Cassia.

The low whisper came again, and Cassia froze, reaching for her chest. She choked for breath, stunned by the sheer cold surrounding her. She felt the heat seem to drain from her body and flow to some other place, leaving her to freeze in the wind’s grip.

The whishing stopped, and Cassia heard a gasp. She looked up and saw Arianne holding her hand to her chest. She turned back and cried, “Samuel, stop! She’s a friend!”

Cassia gasped, the chill suddenly disappearing. She saw a blue ball of flame encompassed by a black frame, then passed out.

~~~~

Cassia awoke in her bed, under her cover. She shifted her gaze to the left, finding her sketchpad on the side table, and Arianne sitting on a chair, her head lowered.

She looked up, and her eyes widened. “Oh, thank Arceus you’re alive!” She embraced Cassia momentarily, then pulled back, shaking her finger at her. “I thought I told you not to leave your room at night!”

Cassia sighed, nodding her head. “I know, I know. I just…I just wanted to see you.”

Arianne stared for a moment, then groaned, massaging her temple. “It was partially my fault that this happened. I should have introduced Samuel to you sooner.”

“Samuel? Your husband?” Cassia asked, confused.

Arianne nodded. She turned to the door and called, “You can come in now!”

The door swung open, and a Lampent hovered inside, low whispers emanating from its flame. Its frame dull and metallic, it swung as it drifted toward them, the cyan flame burning low and the golden eyes mere slits. The glass encasing the fire radiated the light, filling the darkened room.

Cassia shuffled to the headboard, cringing. “W-Why is that in here?”

The window shot open, and Grom shoved his head inside. “Graowm!” he bellowed, his light growing brighter upon seeing the Lampent.

Arianne stepped in front of it, holding her arms out. “He won’t hurt you, I promise!”

The Lampent whispered, drawing close to Arianne’s head. She nodded and said, “He didn’t know who you were, and started draining your Life when you came near. You lasted longer than usual because of your ability, so I was able to warn him.”

“Him?” Cassia asked.

Arianne held the Lampent’s arm, sighing. “Yes, him. Cassia, meet Samuel.” The Lampent nodded his head, waving his other arm.

Cassia stepped out of her bed, giving Samuel a suspicious look. “How did this happen? How do you know?”

Arianne looked back to Samuel. He whistled in a warbling tone, then wafted back, waving his arms. She sighed, then said, “I was hoping to keep him a secret, but I may as well tell you now.”

She sat on the chair and continued: “After Samuel died, I was miserable. I couldn’t be comforted by anyone, and I blamed Arceus for my loss, wondering why he’d take my Samuel from me. Well, soon after that, at night, I noticed a strange light outside my window. I went out to check, and I discovered a little Lampent—at Samuel’s grave.

“Naturally, I assumed he was just there to take the rest of Samuel’s Life. But when I went to leave, the Lampent followed me. I couldn’t shake him off, even when I entered the house. I was ready to fight him if need be, as I didn’t want him waiting for me to die. But then he stopped in front of the portrait above the bookcase.

“He seemed…distressed. I was confused by this reaction, and it got me thinking: what if he was Samuel as a ghost? It wasn’t unheard of for Pokémon who died to become one, even if it generally happens at Life deposits. Maybe this Lampent was?”

She caressed the Lampent, stroking his top. “I began to talk with him, and found that he remembered his previous life, including me. He wanted to stay with me and protect me, as he did when he was alive. Since then, he drove off any travelers that come by here, and when needed, took their Life. I didn’t want you going out at night because he might think you’re a threat. I should have introduced you sooner so this could’ve been avoided. Forgive me.”

They remained silent for a moment, Samuel's flame remaining dim, and Grom’s eyes continually staring. Cassia held her claws together, closing her eyes, while Arianne bowed her head.

Cassia turned to Arianne, then look the sketchpad from the table, turning it to a page. “I can see why you didn’t want to tell me; I really should’ve listened to you about going out at night.” Arianne remained still.

Cassia folded back the cover, holding the pad out to Arianne. “I wanted to show you something I made tonight. I didn’t want to wait till morning.” Arianne accepted it, put a hand over her heart.

The drawing showed a Gallade standing with a Gardevoir, holding their hands and looking toward Arianne with a smile. Every detail, down to the folds of the Gardevoir’s dress, to the nicks in the Gallade’s blades, were captured perfectly.

Arianne turned to Samuel, then back to Cassia. “I…I can’t thank you enough for this. I have many pictures of him but,” she stroked the picture, “I have nothing like this.”

Samuel looked over Arianne’s shoulder, making impressed, and sorrowful whispers. Arianne held his arm, lowering her head. “I know…you miss being alive. We’ll be truly together again when I pass.”

Cassia turned to Grom, who made a romantic sigh. She smiled, leaving Samuel and Arianne to share their moment together.

~~~~

A week later as Cassia drew in her room, a knock came at her door. She closed her sketchpad and called out, “Come in!”

Arianne entered, holding a small leather bag. She sat down next to Cassia and said, “I have something for you.” Cassia watched as she undone the drawstring on the bag, then slipped out a pure white, wooden mask. Its surface was completely smooth, and the eyes had a black gauze, allowing no light to seep through.

Arianne held it out to Cassia. “Try it on.”

She did so, in awe of the handiwork. It fit perfectly over her face, and only slightly hindered her vision. She turned to Arianne and asked, “Why are you giving this to me?”

Arianne frowned, setting aside the bag. “Before you were born, I had that mask made for your father.”

Cassia pulled off the mask and exclaimed, “You knew my dad?”

“Yes. Ryon Zoroark, and his wife, Rhianna. They lived in a little cave around the other side of Hereb. They enjoyed doing service to everyone there, especially to old Zaman Delphox. He was an excellent fortuneteller.” She waved her hand. “But I digress. I had the mask made for Ryon as a late wedding gift. Unfortunately, after Zaman told him his future, he refused to let anyone in his home—even for me to deliver it.” She clasped her hands and closed her eyes. “That went on for several months, until one day, Zaman came to me and told me to go to Ryon, despite the severe storm. I went with Samuel as a light, and saw smoke coming out of their cave.” Cassia held the mask tighter, looking down at it.

“I discovered that everything inside had caught fire…and that Ryon and Rhianna had been in the blaze.” A tear rolled down Cassia’s cheek.

Arianne made a shuddering sigh. “After I returned, I learned that Zaman had caught pneumonia from being out in the rain. I came to him to help him recover, but he said it was his time to leave. He warned me that Arthus had returned, and that he had killed his descendants as punishment for their friendship with the Lucario. He even told me that Arthus had taken Ryon’s child to raise it as his own.” She swallowed and said, “I was distraught to hear that, but Zaman comforted me and said that she would grow strong in her belief in Arceus—just like her parents.” Cassia smiled, still crying. Arianne smiled back and said, “You’re more like your parents than you’ll ever know.”

Cassia embraced Arianne, whispering, “Thank you….thank you…” Arianne hugged her back and closed her eyes.

~~~~

After several weeks of learning about the Arceist Tome and Arianne’s life, Cassia now had her tome full of annotations, most suggested by Arianne, but all valuable for her next test.

She and Arianne packed a bag full of food, the morning light barely shining through the windows. “Laisha Unfezant didn’t come today, so we’ll have to go down to Hereb to pick up some supplies. We can also teach a few Pokémon down there as well.”

Cassia gave a nervous smile. “You sure that’s the best idea?”

Arianne nodded, placing a sack of coins in the bag. “Of course, it is. We have tomes, so it is our responsibility to teach them.” She hefted the bag over her shoulder, then shuffled to the door. “Get your things; it’ll be a long walk, and I don’t plan on riding Grom there.”

After an hour of walking across the plains, they came to a collection of low wooden buildings, surrounded by a wall made of timbers. Pokémon walked through the streets, crossing to stalls and huts to sell or buy goods. The air remained clear despite several chimneys poking in the air, smelling as fresh as it did out in the open plain.

Arianne stopped Cassia and pulled her to the wall. She looked back to Grom, he poked up his head behind a nearby hill, avoiding the gaze of the villagers.

Arianne took a glance to the entrance and said, “We can’t have you going in looking like a Zoroark; you’ll need to disguise yourself. Any ideas?”

Cassia thought for a moment, then nodded. She stepped away and waved her hand, and a Gardevoir with bright blue eyes appeared in her place.

Arianne stared for a moment, then laughed. “You could pass off as my granddaughter!”

Cassia chuckled, holding her hands behind her back. “Well…you’re someone I’d like to have as a grandmother.”

Arianne stopped, then held a hand to her cheek. “That’s high praise for an old hermit like me.” She headed through the gate, motioning for Cassia to follow. “Thank you for that.”

Cassia followed her into the crowd, beaming. Her smile soon faded when she crossed by several Pokémon desperate to avoid their touch as to keep her disguise. She couldn’t help but feel the same fear she did back in the Guild, of what the Pokémon would do to her, of how they share this reasonable fear of her species.

Arianne, however, acted nothing like this. She gracefully passed between groups of Pokémon, greeting them and offering to buy goods from them. Some complied, while others simply thanked and moved on. Not once did she falter in her movement or voice, completely confident in being in town.

Later, they stopped and ate at an outdoor diner, eating a small berry stir fry. Arianne calmly ate hers, while Cassia sat hunched over her food, still nervous about those around her.

Arianne gave her a bewildered look, then took a glance behind her. She returned her gaze and said, “You’re shivering more than a soggy Meowth. What are you so worried about?”

Cassia looked down at her hand, seeing it shake. She grabbed it and said, “I just…didn’t have the best experience back in the Guild. I never went out of the house because Arthus said so, and the one time I did, I found out he was an evil Pokémon.” She cringed, remembering her time with Trias Alakazam and Searle Sawk. “I let my appearance show, and they were frightened of me. I never did anything to them, but because of Arthus, they thought I was going to kill them.” She held her head up with her hand, sighing. “I wanted to stay away from Pokémon after that. Why would they listen to me if they’re so scared of me?”

Arianne grabbed her hand and said, “You’re Cassia, not Arthus. You’re the sweetest young lady I’ve ever met, and anyone who doesn’t see that is a fool.” She smiled. “As for you being a Zoroark, that shouldn’t matter. You can appear as you like, and no one will ever know the difference.”

Cassia stood still for a moment, then smiled, standing straight. “Thank you.”

They continued with their day, and soon, evening came down, and the village Pokémon settled into their homes, the restlessness of the alleyways before fading to a dull whisper.

In a disheveled home, Cassia and Arianne sat in front of a family of Gurdurr, their Timburr children resting peacefully at their feet. Arianne smiled proudly as Cassia read from the Tome clearly and passionately:

Let your strength and mind be used for the benefit of all, all while remembering the lessons I have given through my prophets. Remember your fellow creations, and cherish them, so that they may help you just as you help them.

Cassia closed the Tome, her eyes shining back the bright lantern light. “If you follow Arceus’ word, you will receive many blessings from him, and will be promised a place with him at the Tree of Life.” The Gurdurr couple nodded their heads and smiled, while the children began to snooze.

Arianne drew close to Cassia’s ear and said, “I must leave now, but you stay and answer their questions; you’re doing great!” She stood up and said, “I’ll leave my student to teach you now; I have important business to take care of.” She opened the door and stepped out, her staff clinking against the wood with each step.

Cassia continued the discussion for over an hour, until at last the Gurdurr had heard what they needed to and allowed her to leave. She went out amongst the other Pokémon with a newfound air of confidence, Arianne’s words encouraging her to be herself even with a different appearance.

She went to Grom, adjusting her bag over her shoulder. “Let’s get back to the house; Arianne will be waiting for us.”

She clambered onto his back, and Grom said, “Gro-gro, haowm.”

“It’s good that you offered to take her back, but you know she likes doing things herself. At least you’ll make it easier to get back,” Cassia replied.

Grom trusted toward the house, the wind rushing past Cassia’s ears. She let her Gardevoir guise fade. ‘I love being with her; she’s made a brand-new home for me.’ She looked up at the sky, her smile waning. ‘But…I’ll have to leave…soon. As Arianne said, Pokemon that have the Tome have to teach; I’ll need to go do that.’ She shook herself free of the thought and smiled. ‘But until then, I can have wonderful times with her. She can teach me, and I can give her company.’

She studied the grass rushing underneath them, then gazed up at the stars. ‘She’s the mother I never had. I want to stay with her for as long as I can.’

Minutes later, Grom landed away from the house, and Cassia slid down his back. She turned to him and said, “You go find a place to recharge; I’ll see you in the morning.” He went off to do so, while Cassia went up to the house.

She reached the foot of the porch and cocked her head. The door hung open, the wind whistling through the gap. Shattered bits of glass lay between it and the frame.

She gently pushed it open, and hoarsely gasped. Glass was scattered everywhere, Arianne’s many portraits thrown against the ground. Her cupboards hung from their hinges, their goods gone, and the bookshelf sat smashed and empty, the books ripped apart, including the precious Arceist Tome. The mighty portrait that hung above it lay in shreds. The furniture and lanterns smashed to pieces; nothing remained of her home.

Fearing for the worst, Cassia called out, “Arianne? Are you here?” She turned to the door to Arianne’s room, which lay in splinters beneath the frame.

She entered and put a hand to her mouth. All of the furniture lay demolished, from the dresser with its upturned drawers, to the bed, the bedding slashed and frame crushed. Underneath the remains of wardrobe, a pale white hand hung over two halves of a cane.

“Arianne!” Cassia cried. She ran to the wardrobe and pried her claws underneath it. She struggled to lift it, barely heaving it an inch over the ground. Red light enveloped her, and with a roar, she threw it aside, uncovering the elderly Gardevoir with a crash.

She fell over her, turned her onto her back. She lay still, her eyes closed and skin pale. No warmth radiated from her, no evidence of life. Dead.

Cassia cringed, bowing her head over Arianne’s body. “No…not this.” She cried over her, heaving with sorrow over the remains of her mentor. Memories of her discussion with her about Arceus, Samuel, and Matheus came to her, and the fact that she would never have them again. She thought of them preparing dinner together, drawing together, and everything that Cassia had ever imagined a mother to do, gone.

She looked up, her breaths heavy. Paw prints threaded across the ground, erratically fleeing through the open window. Beyond, a trail of coins and prints lead across the plains to a solitary forest.

Cassia shook. She set Arianne down, and stood up, tears continuing to stream. Red flame erupted from her claws, and she bared her teeth. With a yowl, she leapt through the window and ran across the plain, following the trail to who she knew were the murderers of her mother.

She bolted across the plains, all the peace and tranquility of Hereb gone from her mind. ‘They killed her! They killed her! They’re never going to hurt anyone else, not as long as I live!’

She halted upon entering the woods, their silent dominance holding the excited chatter of several Pokémon. Growling, she turned invisible and crept toward their location, finding a duo of Weavile huddling over a pile of looted belongings.

A Weavile with a missing tooth sniffed, rubbing his nose. “You think that doin’ this was a good idea? You know a lot of Pokémon liked that old Gardevoir.

The other Weavile held up a golden picture frame, grimacing. “We had to do it, Tyron. We haven’t had a proper bite to eat for weeks!” She lowered the frame, staring at the ground. “Wasn’t expecting her to come home early. Now—"

“You killed her!” Cassia screamed, throwing herself onto the Weavile. The other leapt away, astonished by the assault, while the other dug his claws into Cassia’s arms, scrambling to pulled her away from his neck.

The free Weavile leapt onto Cassia’s back, rearing back to strike. Cassia released the other Weavile and grabbed hold of the one across her back, her eyes wild and glowing red.

The Weavile froze, realizing now what he was dealing with. “Y-You’re Arthus—t-the Usurper!”

Cassia vigorously shook her head. “No! I’m Cassia, and you’re going to pay for killing Arianne!” She reared back her claw, and the Weavile closed his eyes and cringed.

“Raul!”

Cassia snapped her head to the right, seeing two other Weavile carrying a bowl of berries. The two females gaped at her, with three Sneasel hiding behind their legs.

Cassia lowered her claws, their crimson fury fading. The Weavile’s words repeated in her mind: “You’re Arthus!” Then one of Arianne’s last words followed: “You’re Cassia, not Arthus. You’re the sweetest young lady I’ve ever met.

She dropped Raul, letting him and Tyron run to their wives and children. She stood still for a moment, then disappeared, running back to Arianne’s home, tears streaming down her face.

~~~~

Two hours later, Cassia sat at the foot of the remains of Arianne’s home, now nothing more than ash and dust. Smoke continued to rise in the night sky, invisible to all but her. Grom stood behind her, stamping down the earth of Arianne’s grave.

He finished his work, then returned to Cassia, placing a hand on her back. “H-Hawm. Gro.”

Cassia sniffed, wiping her eyes. “I know…but I couldn’t live here anymore. Not with her gone.” She turned to the patch of brown soil. “I…I shouldn’t have attacked like that. I was…furious. Uncontrolled. I couldn’t control myself once I saw the tracks.” She looked down at her claws, closing their grip. “I think I know how Arthus felt after losing them…his parents…Corrina…Erik…even Matheus and…” She closed her eyes. “Me.” She held up her claws, allowing mist to trail from them. “I don’t want to be like him. I can’t kill someone, no matter what they’ve done.” She opened her eyes again. “But I can’t let Arianne go like this.”

Grom’s light blinked, then he pointed at Cassia’s bag. She opened it, then Grom gently pulled out the Arceist Tome and set it on her lap. She looked up at him, watching him nod.

She stood up, holding the Tome to her chest. “I know what to do.”

~~~~

Within the forest, Raul Weavile coughed, his wife handing him an Oran berry. “That Zoroark came out of nowhere. About killed us too.” He turned to his Weavile companion. “Why do you think, Tyron?”

He coughed, rubbing his throat. “Can’t say for sure. Maybe it had somethin’ to do with that last job we did, with that Gardevoir? Wasn’t she named Arianne?”

His wife sat with the Sneasel, embracing and comforting them to recover from their fear. “That Zoroark might’ve been friends with her.” She reached over and punched Raul’s shoulder. “I knew going there was a bad idea!”

Raul rubbed his shoulder, shrinking away. “If it was, I hope we never see her again.”

Tyron tapped his shoulder, fearful. “L-Look over there.” Raul turned and froze.

A Gardevoir stood at the edge of the clearing, her eyes closed and a large book in her hands. She opened her eyes, revealing blue irises, still shining with tears. “I want to help,” she said in a wavering voice.

Tyron hissed and exclaimed, “Who are you? How’d you find us?”

The Gardevoir stood her ground. “My name is Cassia. I’m a priestess of Arceus and a teacher. I want to tell you about him.”

Raul eyed her and gasped. “Those eyes! She’s that Zoroark!” He backed away, pointing a shaking claw at her. “S-Stay away! We’re sorry about what happened to that Gardevoir!”

Cassia sighed, and the Gardevoir faded, a Zoroark standing in her place. The Weavile and Sneasel backed away, fearful of her retribution. She simply held up the Tome and said, “I want to talk to you. I shouldn’t have hurt you.”

Tyron gave her a bewildered look. “Wait, what? A-Aren’t you mad at us?”

Cassia took a slow step forward, causing them to jitter. “I—I was out of control. I didn’t know what I was doing.” She lowered the Tome, her voice cracking. “I nearly turned into him—into Arthus, killing Pokémon when they do something I hate. I promised myself never to do anything like that, but I was going to do it to you.”

She fell to her knees, the Tome falling to her side. “She meant the world to me, and you killed her. I couldn’t forgive you for that.” She hunched over and said, “But I remember now that she wanted to be with Samuel again. She’ll…she’ll be happy now. Thank you.”

Tyron and Raul looked at each other, then back at their wives. They sorrowfully gestured to the pile of loot, then to Cassia.

Raul sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. Cautiously, he approached Cassia, then said, “Look…I’m…I’m sorry for what happened. Me and my brother shouldn’t have taken your stuff. We just needed money to feed our kids. It’s hard for Dark Pokémon like us to get jobs, so we have to take what we can get.” He stepped away, gesturing to the pile. “We were just gonna take it and leave, but then she came back earlier than we thought. She attacked us, so we hit her back. We just wanted to stop her from following us, not…kill her.”

After a moment, Cassia stood up and stared at the pile. “You did it to help your families? Not yourselves?”

Raul nodded. “We don’t like it, but we had to.”

The Zoroark remained silent, then shook her head. “Give the money to everyone else who needs help. It won’t do me any good, and you don’t deserve it.”

Tyron ran around the pile and joined Raul. “But what’ll we do for money, or food? Nobody trusts us!”

Cassia thought for a moment, then took out her sketchpad and wrote on it. She carefully tore the page from its binding, then held it out to the Weavile. “Hereb trusts me. I’ll give you this, so you can show everyone that I trust you if you promise to not steal or kill again. Promise?”

Tyron and Raul looked at each other for a moment, astonished. They looked back at Cassia, then Tyron solemnly accepted the note. “Thank you. We promise to not do it anymore.” Raul nodded in agreement, and their wives smiled and held their children tighter.

Cassia retracted her hand and smiled. “You’re welcome.” She slipped her sketchpad back into her sack, then disappeared and ran out of the clearing, comforted by what she felt to be Arceus’ grace.

~~~~

Cassia and Grom stood at the foot of Arianne’s hill, getting ready to leave. She looked up at Grom and said, “We can’t stay here anymore. It’s time for us to go.”

“Gro-gram?” he replied, shrugging.

Cassia pulled a folded piece of paper from her bag and opened it, revealing a detailed map of Equivos. She traced a finger from their current location to another town. “We’ll do what Arianne taught me to do: bring Pokémon closer to Arceus.” She showed the town to Grom. “Can you go there?”

He studied it for a moment, then nodded. She put away the map and climbed onto Grom’s back. With a boom, he rocketed across the sky, away from Arianne’s grave and Hereb.

Hours later, Grom stopped at the edge of a ramshackle town in a barren plain, littered with stray rock and trees of all sorts. Cassia climbed the edge the wall surrounding it, finding that dozens of Pokémon from the Guild patrolled it, ordering the citizens around and torturing them in subtle ways.

Cassia reached into her bag and took out the mask given to her by Arianna. ‘Let’s see how well this works…’

Later that night, she stood at the edge of the wall, wearing the mask. She cleared her throat and waved her hand.

“Testing…testing,” she said in a deep warbling voice. She nodded. It would work to ensure that Pokémon wouldn’t recognize her by voice, and thanks to the mask, not recognize her by her eyes as well. She stormed into the town and struck down the guards, draining their Life enough to make them faint. She went on to confront the rest of the Guild Pokémon, until all were incapacitated. Once that task was finished, she fled to Grom, where she would hide until morning.

When she woke, she waved her hand and made herself appear as a Gardevoir. She pulled a mirror from her bag and looked into it, memories of her time with Arianne returning to her.

“Graw-hawm?”

She turned, watching Grom carry a rock away from its rest in the ground and into the water, rolling in with a splash. She laughed, then said, “I want to remember her for all she’s done for me. So why not look like her?”

She went into the town and taught them about Arceus, then when her job was finished, she wrote its name into an empty journal, then went on to the next. She continued this process hundreds of times across Equivos, keeping in mind the lessons she learned from Arthus, Matheus, and Arianne.

~~~~

2020 AU

Cassia lay down on a plain, studying the sky. Grom did the same, crossing his hands behind his head. Below them, the town of Saunte stretched, waiting for her to free them of Guild control and have the message of Arceus spread to them.

“We’ve done a lot together…haven’t we?” Cassia mused.

“Graw-graw.”

“We’ve taught a lot of Pokémon.”

“Hawm.”

“And had a lot of Pokémon say we’re liars.”

“Haw-hawm.”

She sat up. “At least we tried, right?”

Grom sat up as well. “Gro-haw!” he said with a salute.

Cassia chuckled, pulling out her drawing of Arianne from her bag. “I wish she was still here.”

Grom patted her back, shaking his head. “Gro-gram.”

Cassia nodded her head, putting the drawing back. “I know…she’s happier now.” She looked up and cocked her head. The clouds seemed to circle around a forest in the distance, what she knew to be the Kaena Woods.

The clouds funneled together, and lightning suddenly shot out from it with a boom. She fell onto her back, breathing quickly. She saw a black dot rocket from the center of the funnel into the woods with a crash, then the funnel swirled into nothingness, as if it had never appeared.

Cassia stood up again, turning to Grom. He gave her a blank look, pointing to the woods.

Cassia turned to them, furrowing her brow. “Let’s see what it is.” She and Grom walked toward the woods, passing by Saunte, unknowingly beginning another journey.

~~~~

Over the remains of Arianne’s home, a Lampent hung over it, swaying gently. Soon after another Lampent joined him. They linked arms, and faded in a puff of blue flame, returning to their almighty creator.

Last edited:
Small bit to start off, but I honestly wasn't a fan of the Courier New to start with. That particular font is rough on my eyes, even using a dark forum theme like the Rainbow Rocket one. So, I'm not sad to see that bit go.

Onto the chapter proper. Somehow, I had a feeling that Arianne had to be a Gardevoir, in light of Cassia's background in the story proper. I personally get a kick out of seeing some humanization of, well, the humanoid Pokémon, so I liked the little tidbits in Arianne's appearance that gave off the impression of how much older she is. Though, am I to understand she was old enough to know Matheus in his prime? Because, she kind of made it sound that way when she was talking. In which case, yeah, she's quite the wizened Gardevoir. At the same time, it was cute seeing Grom try to stand on the porch, and then up waiting outside all dejected like. Cute in that sort of "gentle giant can't fit somewhere and doesn't want to hurt anything, so he stands around awkwardly" way. ^^

Now, I know that Arianne warned us that her glimpse into the past would be on the short side, but it still ended up feeling a bit too quick for my liking. It shows Arthus killing, but not necessarily enough on the emotional side of things. He spouts his usual hating traitors line, but I'd have liked to have seen more. Especially because it's bookended by scenes that are only a couple of paragraphs long. It feels like a few too many transitions all getting bashed together, and that messes with the pacing a bit. You could, for example, put in a couple of sentences saying the rest of the day went by quietly and Cassia went to sleep, leading into the next part without needing a scene cut.

I'm of a bit of a mixed mind about the explanation for Cassia continuing to draw. I really do like how Arianne focuses on the whole "draw because you love," side of things. But having her state that Arthus draws because of love is not a very good way to sell Cassia (or me, for that matter) on the idea that it's good for her to continue drawing. If anything, it sends somewhat of a mixed message. The Life comparison thankfully mitigated that for me, but I think Arianne would've been better of sticking to the idea of continuing to draw because of love, and not because of Cassia's past, without trying to make any comparisons to Arthus.

“An illusion’s purpose is to trick the mind…” she muttered. She looked back to the pad.

“But drawing is a way to show what you think of someone…”
I especially liked this comparison, here. It's a good bit of insight that doesn't just drag up Arthus' name.

I was quite surprised at the direction that the whole drawing situation took. I mean, I expected Cassia to make a drawing for Arianne. What I did not expect was that Samuel had indeed become a ghost(-type) and was technically still lingering in the world. Essentially Arianne's equivalent of Grom. Which is a neet little comparison. We also get the reveal as to why she goes around as a Gardevoir. It's very sweet, actually. Especially the "mother she never had," tidbit. Heartwarming, and totally making me expect something bad to happen...

(One scene transition later...)

Yup, saw that one coming from a mile away. RIP Arianne. Sad to see you go. But it was a pretty heart-wrenching scene. And, unlike a lot of the gruesome deaths Arthus caused, this one actually hurt since I'd gotten to know Arianne through the chapter. The fact that it appeared to be more of a random mugging and less something Arthus-related is what makes it even more distinct, I must say. Especially with Cassia's almost feral response to it. Though, I don't think she needed to monologue about her actions to the Weavile. That... seemed a bit anime-ish and "As you very well know..." for my liking. But we also get the mask's origin out of it. Which brings us to the present, more or less.

It was an interesting special episode overall. I really do think this particular chapter had some pacing issues. Namely, way too many scene breaks with very short scenes following that sometimes feel like they don't add enough to the chapter as a whole. But I did think it a was overall a strong ending to this, that showed Cassia's progressive transformation into the "Gardevoir" that we knew throughout Act 2.

Two little tidbits I caught, before I go:
“That would be Cassia, his wife. As you may know, she died because of Arthus in some way.”
This... seems awkwardly phrased to me.

Despite being made with only black charcoal, their green and white seemed to come alive, the red of their eyes shining in the faint light of the Lampent.
If it's a black and white drawing, how are colors coming alive? That... really doesn't make sense as far as personification/metaphors go...

Though, am I to understand she was old enough to know Matheus in his prime? Because, she kind of made it sound that way when she was talking. In which case, yeah, she's quite the wizened Gardevoir.

More like she knew him when she was in her prime. She's known him for a long time, but 2000 years? Yeah...no.

Now, I know that Arianne warned us that her glimpse into the past would be on the short side, but it still ended up feeling a bit too quick for my liking. It shows Arthus killing, but not necessarily enough on the emotional side of things. He spouts his usual hating traitors line, but I'd have liked to have seen more. Especially because it's bookended by scenes that are only a couple of paragraphs long. It feels like a few too many transitions all getting bashed together, and that messes with the pacing a bit. You could, for example, put in a couple of sentences saying the rest of the day went by quietly and Cassia went to sleep, leading into the next part without needing a scene cut.

I have noticed that I've been fonder in my use of transitions lately, even if that's not necessarily a good thing. I can fix up that little bit. As for the short scene, I admit, I wanted to show more, but with the current length of the chapter being nearly double what I usually write, I felt I would be pushing it. Still, I'll consider it.

I'm of a bit of a mixed mind about the explanation for Cassia continuing to draw. I really do like how Arianne focuses on the whole "draw because you love," side of things. But having her state that Arthus draws because of love is not a very good way to sell Cassia (or me, for that matter) on the idea that it's good for her to continue drawing. If anything, it sends somewhat of a mixed message. The Life comparison thankfully mitigated that for me, but I think Arianne would've been better of sticking to the idea of continuing to draw because of love, and not because of Cassia's past, without trying to make any comparisons to Arthus.

I think I'll remove that mention of Arthus, as he had been previously shown to be a pretty bad guy. I can understand your concern, and was rather conflicted about the scene myself when writing it.

Though, I don't think she needed to monologue about her actions to the Weavile. That... seemed a bit anime-ish and "As you very well know..." for my liking.

I agree that this scene should be changed, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be. Any suggestions, outside of maybe removing her lamenting on her previous actions?

Thanks for the review, I always appreciate them. I can get to work on the suggested changes tomorrow as I prefer to have Sundays be my break day from them. i sort of let myself go of writing last week, to the point that I now only have one chapter in reserve. I doubt it'll affect me much, so no need to worry.

I agree that this scene should be changed, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be. Any suggestions, outside of maybe removing her lamenting on her previous actions?
Really, I think lamenting her previous actions is probably a good start. Especially if you toned up her hesitancy. Because her actions clearly left her shaken up and conflicted in an "Oh my god, am I actually turning into Arthus?" kind of way. And with all her attempts made in the chapter to prove to herself that she's Cassia and not Arthus. So, if anything, you could have her sort of stumble over her words and "I don't know what what I was thinking," or "I just lost control," or "She just meant so much to me!" Things like that. More emotions and less giving a recap of what she did.

Chapter 13: Clearance
Act 3: The Guildmaster
Chapter 13: Clearance

Act 3 - The Legend

Mud pits and hollows steamed, belching out noxious gases. Sickened willow trees sprouted up amid the foul concoction, struggling to remain upright in the mess. Around the perimeter, Litwick and Lampent lurked, providing lights for the living Pokémon outside—only to lead them into the center, feeding their Life to the massive deposits scattered within. No life dared remain with the Ghosts.

A solitary Duskull wove between the willows, his eye trembling. Gastly soaked up the gases, growing their already-bloated forms, while Gengar hovered behind them, ensuring that opposing guardianships stayed away. Misdreavus cackled through the night, practicing their charms and spells for when they go to harvest Life themselves, their Mismagius training them for the coming day. All the while, Phantump whined, watching the Ghost guardianships with careful eyes.

The Duskull stared at the sodden ground that whizzed past him. He stopped and jittered. One of the gas pockets belched out crimson particles—a sign of sustenance.

He looked around briefly, then dove in for the pocket. He greedily absorbed the Life, his limp and fluttering body beginning to plump up.

“Mine!”

The Duskull shot up and shrieked: a Banette scrambled toward him, skating across the bog, his three Shuppet flapping behind it.

The Banette swatted away the Duskull, hissing a laugh. “Where’s your guardian, Lifewaste?” It reached up for the Shuppet, carefully lowering them to the pocket. “Eat up now—I want you to be big and strong before you go sapping away the living!” The Shuppet laughed as the pocket tickled his sheets, while the Duskull crestfallenly limped away.

A Phantump hovered alongside him, whining softly. The Duskull didn’t acknowledge it. It whined higher, and other Phantump surrounded the pitiful Ghost, herding him from his course. The Duskull whipped and whimpered, fearing the worst.

The Phantump stopped in a surrounded copse of the bog, with no gas pockets or other Ghosts in sight—save the Trevenant rooted in the center, as tall as the willows that made the surrounding wall.

The Duskull swiveled away, shivering. “If you’re going to drain me, just do it now. I don’t have much…”

The Trevenant’s eye shimmered, and the Phantump drifted away. The massive wooden limb encompassed the Duskull, trapping him in its splintering and creaking grip. From its fingers, red mist flowed.

The Duskull stopped shivering, spinning around. It jittered and soaked up the mist, scarcely suppressing a laugh as it did. The Trevenant’s mouth cracked into a grin.

When the Duskull was full, the grip fell away, and the Duskull hopped in the air happily. It stopped suddenly, then drew close to the Trevenant’s eye. “Why’d you do that? I’m not your charge. I…I don’t even have a guardian!”

The Trevenant chuckled lowly. “I…in my many years…gave Life to those…who need it more…than me…” He gestured to his Phantump children, who now floated into the night sky, their whining echoing into the air. “My children…now go to search…for other forests…full of Life…to guard their borders…and inspirit trees…making more children.” The Trevenant’s arm’s lowered, stiffening. “It is now my time…I may have lived…generations more…had I not…so freely gave…my Life.”

The Duskull hovered around wildly. “Then why did you give so much? The only way I can survive is if I keep it to myself!”

The Trevenant smiled sadly, holding up its hand again. “Because…Life is only worth…what you give. Those…who take Life…end up dying…in grief…” His hand lowered again, and his eye began to dim. “While those…who give Life…die…in joy…” It sighed one final time, and the eye went dark. The leaves on its crown flew away one by one in the breeze, leaving behind the barren husk of the Trevenant. Gardner Duskull remained still, gazing up at the leaves fluttering in the wind.

A purple shape suddenly snatched him out of the air with a cackle, dragging him to the ground. The ragged Haunter opened its mouth wide and said, “A little munchie does the tummy nicely!”

Gardner struggled against the Haunter, pulling against his hands. A blob of black mist gathered in front of him and fired into the Haunter’s face. It screeched and let go, attempting to wipe away the mist.

Gardner’s eye glowed, then he puffed into gas and charged into the Haunter in a flash of light. The Haunter screeched once more and fell to the swampy earth, disfigured from the Shadow Ball.

Gardner reappeared, and the Haunter panted, his breath weakening. “Don’t…don’t eat me…please…” it pleaded.

The Duskull considered the Haunter’s cry, then his eye glowed brighter. “No…I’ve been weak for too long.” He sat on top of the Haunter and buried himself in its body. “It’s time I had my fair share.” He sucked away the Haunter’s wasted body, consuming what little Life it had and killing it.

Gardner huffed, then turned back to the remains of the Ancient Trevenant. He turned away and continued through the swamps.

The scenes melted together, and now a Dusclops stood in the Master’s Tower, where a Lucario wearing a broken Seal of Creation paced around him.

Calem eyed him warily, looking up and down. “Are you sure you’re up to the task? I know you’ve made yourself a life here in the Guild after leaving the swamps, but being an Assistant Guildmaster will be demanding.”

Gardner folded his arms, furrowing his brow. “I want to do more than simply be on a bounty team; I want to organize them and make them more effective—along with cracking down on criminals.”

Calem sighed, rubbing his neck. “Right now, you’re my only good choice. Kaiser is a bit too hot-headed to serve well, and you have plenty of experience in the Guild. I don’t see why not.” He held his paw out. “Welcome to my council, Gardner Dusclops.”

Gardner accepted the paw and shook it gladly.

The scene faded again, and now a Dusknoir sat at a table within the Tower, poring over crossed-out notices and posters. He checked off a list and hummed to himself, saying, “Soon, there will be no more outlaws, and I can focus my efforts on the wretched ghosts in the swamps.”

The door flew open and Calem Lucario stormed up the stairs, fuming. “Gardner! You have a lot to answer for!”

Gardner spun around and met the irate Lucario’s gaze. “What did I do wrong?”

Calem thrust a bundle of papers into Gardner’s face and shouted, “You ordered for the execution of petty thieves?”

Gardner huffed, rolling his eye. “The best way to stop crime is to deter it. The thieves would grow worse anyway.”

Calem seethed and ripped up the paper, shaking a paw in front of him. “I’ve been lenient on your methods up to now, Gardner, but this is where I draw the line. One more stunt like this, and I’ll see to it that Kaiser takes your place!” He stomped down the stairs and slammed the door closed, leaving Gardner to glower.

The scene transitioned again, and Gardner now stood in front of a raised platform, where Calem Lucario and Kaiser Electivire, along with an assortment of other Pokemon, sat. Calem clacked a gavel and solemnly said, “After killing an entire team of newly-recruited Ghost Pokemon—along with numerous warnings and punishments for cruel treatment against outlaws—you are sentenced to be imprisoned within an Ethereal Urn for thirty years. All in favor?”

“Aye!” Kaiser and the other Pokemon said.

A Gothitelle came into the room bearing a rune-covered grey urn, and Gardner backed away, his eye flitting between the urn and Calem. “I won’t do it again, I swear! Don’t put me in there! Anything but that!”

Calem slowly shook his head. “I am sorry, but this is the only way I see fit to change your ways.”

The Gothitelle opened the urn, and dust swirled into the azure void within. She aimed the void at Gardner, where it sucked his very essence inside. In his final moments outside the urn, he bellowed, “I’ll come back and finish you all!” He disappeared inside, and the Gothitelle twisted the lid, sealing it.

~~~~

Gardner gasped, his eye wide with fright. He woke in his chair atop the Master’s Tower, in the dead of night. Clouds covered the moon, preventing the beam from meeting with the Guildmaster.

The Dusknoir rubbed his face, forcing himself to calm. ‘Just a dream…just a dream…yet it was real.’

He shook his head, curling his fist. ‘A shame I couldn’t kill Calem myself.’ He looked up, watching the moon. ‘I just hope Arthus isn’t as unreliable as he appears.’

The tower’s door flew open, and Gardner heard damp footsteps scramble up. He stood up and came face to face with the matted and salty fur of Arthus Zoroark.

Arthus breathed haggardly, glaring at him as he brushed back his frenzied mane. “Don’t. Say. A. Word.”

Gardner at first complied, but slowly looked away and said, “Why exactly are you here?”

Arthus sat in Gardner’s chair and tapped his claws together, a ruddy aura steaming around him. “I had Cassia and that Lucario, Lawrence, right where I wanted them—then Grom comes in and scoops them up—” He gouged his claws into the padding of the chair. “And Matheus of all Pokemon is riding with him!”

“Hands off my seat!” Gardner shouted, prying away Arthus’ claws.

Arthus whipped around and grabbed Gardner’s antenna, his hand drawing dangerously near his scarred eye. “Don’t make me rip it right out of your skull!”

Gardner immediately pulled away and held up his hands defensively. “Understood! But please…respect my property.”

Arthus simmered, then sighed, massaging his head. “Cassia hates me more than ever now that I destroyed her Arceist Tome.” He leaned against the wall and bowed his head. “And after I attempted to slay Lawrence.”

Gardner rolled his eye and crossed his arms. “Priorities, Lord Arthus. Does this half-baked family matter really take precedence over the Seal?”

Arthus held up the Seal of Creation and groaned. “I know, I know—what do you think I’ve been doing for the past twenty years?”

“Doting on Cassia and eventually having to hunt her down?”

“Shut up.” Arthus dropped the necklace and closed his eyes. “I’ve got no idea where to go find the Prison Bottle, and there’s no good location to summon Hoopa.” He turned to Gardner and pointed at him. “Just keep searching for clues—especially for a place where Arceus’ presence is strong. If you want a world where evil is nonexistent, then that has to be done.” He drew back his hand and fiddled with a length of his fur. “In the meantime, I’ll see if I can pinpoint Matheus’ location; while Cassia might be lost to me, I can make a new plan to bring her back, if only to keep her close.” He descended the stairs, holding his head and shaking it.

Gardner huffed, sitting down on his chair and fingering the gash Arthus had made. “Sentimental fool. It’s almost as if there’s two of him in the same body—one sane and one not.”

~~~~

The full moon hung high overhead, the beams reflecting off the gentle tides. In the ocean south of Serenita, tiny islands cropped up, some harboring palm trees, others a collection of bushes, and others nothing more than a bank of sand. None of these islets had more than plants, as it had been for the past twenty years.

The raft floated near a small island, where Grom stood with red mist coursing from the sand, replenishing his depleted reserves. The window of the hut in the middle of the raft glowed with bright yellow light, and the small chimney on its roof puffed a steady stream of smoke into the air.

Lawrence sat in front of the wall of the hut, his legs drawn up and his head lowered. His injured leg was now perfect, healed by Cassia’s control over life—but before she could say ‘finished’, he had stormed out of the hut and held the Pokédex in his paws, staring at the taunting notification: ‘No access point in range.’ He simply stared, deep in thought.

The door of the hut creaked open, and a blue-eyed Gardevoir crept out, stepping around the corner and stopping next to Lawrence. She cleared her throat, and Lawrence’s eyes snapped to hers.

“I know you aren’t a Gardevoir. Don’t hide it,” he growled.

She sighed, and the Gardevoir faded, a Zoroark standing in her place. She squeezed her hands, shifting uncomfortably. “I really meant to tell you.”

Lawrence raised his head. “Tell me what? That you’ve lied to me the entire time I’ve known you, that you’re a descendant of the evilest Pokémon alive, that you’re the biggest hypocrite for making me tell the truth while you wouldn’t?” He waved his paw, shaking his head. “Why did I ever trust you?”

Cassia stepped forward, holding out her hand. “I had to do it to protect myself and you! If anyone found out—"

“Just leave me alone!” Lawrence shouted, slamming his fist against the wall.

The Zoroark flinched, then, closing her eyes, shuffled back into the hut, then gently closed the door.

Lawrence took a deep breath, tucking the Pokédex back into its case, then lowered his head once more, closing his eyes.

The door opened again, and footsteps padded out to the raft. Without opening his eyes, Lawrence exclaimed, “I said I wanted to be alone!”

“No, you told her to leave you alone.”

Lawrence looked up, his eyes widening. The silver Lucario stood in front of him, no longer with his leather cloak and hat. Thick scars shone through the pristine fur, and his muscles were thick and corded. His eyes glared at Lawrence as his tail swished impatiently.

“I don’t believe we’ve had a proper meeting, Lawrence Stephenson,” he stated, crossing his arms.

Lawrence scrambled to his feet. “Y-You know my name? My real one?”

“Cassia told me. Tell me, what makes you think you can treat a young lady like that?” The silver Lucario turned his head, studying Grom. “The name’s Matheus, by the way.”

Lawrence gave him a cold stare, pointing a paw at him. “Look Matheus, I have no idea why you’re here, but—”

“Oh, for Arceus’ sake!” Matheus brushed aside the paw. “I wasn’t called by our creator to save your hide for nothing. Now that that Arthus forced Cassia to drop her act, I’m the one who has to step in and make things right!”

“You knew about it too?” Lawrence said, blinking in surprise.

“Can you stop asking questions and start answering them?” Matheus snapped. “Why did you treat Cassia like that? That was completely uncalled for!”

“Wouldn’t you be angry if you found out your only friend was someone completely different!” Lawrence exclaimed, breathing heavily.

Matheus flinched, then closed his eyes. “Yes. Yes, I would be.” He leaned against the wall, crossing his arms.

“Why are you so protective of her? I…I know I should have treated her better, but still…” Lawrence trailed off.

“Who do you think taught her after she ran away? Arthus couldn’t be expected to teach her about that.” He turned away, scowling. “Not after what he did.” He turned back, closing his eyes. “Look, I don’t know anything about you except for what Cassia told me—and I don’t expect that it’s a good view, considering how she is at the moment.” He opened them again, his hardness gone. “But I know Cassia. She hates lying as much as any right-minded Pokémon. Let’s look at your little ‘amnesia’ story for example. Did you like it?”

“No, but—”

“Did you feel it necessary?”

“Yes, but what does that have to do—”

“It has everything to do with her!” Matheus stood up, growling. “She can’t have anyone know her identity! Do you think that anyone would trust a Zoroark teaching about Arceus, when the Usurper himself is trying to tear him down? They would never listen!” He sighed, then rubbed his eyes. “Plus, it is rather hypocritical to have her forgive you for lying when you refuse to do the same for her.”

Lawrence paused, then sighed shaking his head. “I…understand that.” He paced away, holding his arms out. “I just don’t like how she kept me in the dark. I wouldn’t have hurt her or anything.”

Matheus raised an eyebrow. “You’re sure? Even if you knew that Arthus was her ancestor?”

“I have a hard-enough time around here as it is. Why would I hurt the only person who actually cares about me?” The Lucario sat at the edge of the raft, looking into the water. “I don’t want to be angry at her. It just…came out like that.”

Matheus looked away for a moment, then stepped toward Lawrence, sitting next to him. “Looks like you’re a better Pokémon than I thought.” He held out his paw. “Sorry for my earlier behavior.”

Lawrence studied it for a moment, then accepted it. “I was being a jerk.”

Matheus grunted in agreement. “As we all are at times. I wasn’t the most reasonable Pokémon when I was your age either.”

They remained silent for a moment, then Lawrence said, “How did you find us? How did you get Grom?"

Matheus groaned slightly, rubbing his shoulder. “Not very difficult when you have Arceus helping you out. As for Grom, he knew who I was as soon as I showed him this.” He held out a paw, then an azure flame erupted around it, coating his fur.

“Whoa!” Lawrence exclaimed, shifting back.

Matheus nodded, extinguishing the flame. “About how he reacted. He thought I was a Guild Pokémon in disguise until I did it.” He gave Lawrence a studious look. “Most Lucario are able to use Aura soon after they evolve, but given your unique circumstances, I can see why you might not have it.” He leaned forward, swirling his paw in the water. “It is a powerful gift and would be wise to learn.” He shook his paw free of the water and said, “Well, Cassia will be expecting me to come back in, as well as you. I made some soup for dinner.” He gave Lawrence a warning look. “Treat her well, or I’ll have you out for a midnight swim.” He stood up and walked into the hut, leaving the door open.

Lawrence remained seated on the edge of the raft, considering what best to do. ‘I hate what she did, but is it right for me to treat her like this?’ He sighed, rubbing his eyes. ‘I need to make things right…but the way I snapped at her…would she forgive me?’

The Lucario stood up, then entered the hut, closing the door. Inside, the floorboards creaked with the gentle swaying of the craft. Five chests sat on the floor, along with a collection of beds, surrounding a small stone firepit, the fire within isolated from the wood. Several lanterns hung overhead, lighting the room with coarse yellow light.

Matheus and Cassia sat on two of the four beds against the walls, each with a bowl of bright red soup from the pot hanging over the fire. The Zoroark stared into her bowl, dwelling on her thoughts, while Matheus poured a third helping into a bowl with a ladle, holding it out to Lawrence. “Hungry?”

Lawrence shrugged and accepted it, taking a seat on one of the remaining mattresses. He studied the bowl of reddish soup in his paws, chunks of Tamato berry floating within it.

They remained in their positions for a minute or so, then Matheus exclaimed, “I didn’t make that Tamato soup for nothing. Eat.”

Lawrence nodded, then slowly took a sip. He regretted it.

He put the bowl aside, fanning his mouth and panting. “Hot! Hot!”

Matheus lifted the bowl and took a sip, then sighed contentedly. “You got a weak mouth. Hardly a kick to this one.” He turned to Cassia. “You ought to eat too, you know.” She remained still, a lock of her mane hanging in front of her face.

The Legend gave Lawrence a glance. “I think that Lawrence has something he ought to say to you. Right?”

After a moment, Lawrence nodded, then went to speak. Cassia held up a hand and said, “No. I understand why you’d be angry at me. I don’t want any apology. Not yet, at least.” She sighed, setting aside her bowl. “You should know more about me…my past. And I think it's time that I showed you.” She stood up and sat next to Lawrence, the Lucario unused to her proximity.

She pressed two claws against her forehead. “You know that Zoroark like me are able to make illusions.” She pulled away, a golden thread appearing between her head and claws. “Arthus is able to do more. He can bring memories to life, far better than any illusion could, thanks to his control of Life.” The thread separated and fell limp, the golden light wavering in the air. “I’m able to do the same thing.”

She held the thread out to Lawrence. “It’s hard for me to talk about myself. I’d rather have you see it for yourself.”

Lawrence studied the thread anxiously, never seeing such a thing before. He looked to Matheus, who simply nodded, then at Cassia, who gazed expectantly. Hesitantly, he took the thread, and the ethereal matter surged into his arm. He felt lightheaded, then fell backward, fainting.

Cassia sighed, putting her hand into her hands. “I shouldn’t have gone into that shop; I should’ve known someone was waiting for me.”

Matheus set his bowl down and scooted to her. “It wasn’t your fault, Cassia. Arthus would have found you sooner or later anyway.”

“But he burned the Tome! Everything I live for is gone!” Cassia cried, throwing her arms into the air.

Matheus pushed them down and replied, “Are you sure? Arceus wouldn’t let his word be destroyed so easily.”

Cassia’s eyes came to Lawrence, then her eyes widened. “Lawrence saved the Tome with his Pokédex. He has everything I wrote!”

Matheus gave her a suspicious look. “Are you sure? It took months to write one, and he’s hardly been here for more than a week.”

“He showed me a picture of a page. He wanted to be able to read it without me having to give it away.” Her ears drooped. “Although, with what’s happened, I’m not sure that he’ll let me.”

Matheus clapped a paw on her back. “Nonsense! After seeing your memories, he’ll be all too happy to help.” He cracked his knuckles. “If he isn’t, well, I’m here.”

Cassia furrowed her brow. “Speaking of that, how did you get here? Where’d you get this raft?”

Matheus blew his breath out slowly. “Well, it’s a bit complicated. You see, there’s a certain Pokémon who wanted me to keep an eye on something for him. After I checked on it for him, he brought me here with his rings.”

Cassia furrowed her brow, then her eyes widened. “Wait, Hoopa helped you get here?”

Matheus nodded sagely. “Yes. He’s been a valuable friend throughout my years and has often helped me get to places. He’s been rather reclusive for the past few decades, though, so I rarely see him.”

“Must be nice being able to go anywhere you want when you want.”

“Bah.” Matheus waved a dismissive paw. “Walking till your paws get sore is part of the experience. Isn’t the journey just as important as the destination?”

They remained silent for a moment, then Matheus put his paws together and asked, “So how did you end up leaving Arianne? I figured you’d stay there for around a year, but then I heard about a Zoroark driving out the Guild from towns a few months after I dropped you off.”

Cassia looked up. “It…it was very sudden.” She stared at the floor. “She died after a bunch of Weavile looted her home.”

“What?” Matheus stood up, stamping his feet. “She was killed? I thought she had died of old age, not that!” He growled, pounding his fists together. “When I get my paws on them—”

“I forgave them! They were only doing it for their families!”

“Is that so?” Matheus huffed, crossing his arms. “Have you ever thought about why Arthus does what he does? He doesn’t want to stop evil just because he can; he’s doing it for the family he lost!”

He sat down, and Cassia cocked her head, bewildered. “What do you mean?”

Matheus took off his hat, groaning. “It took me ages to figure out, but once I did, I knew that fool was beyond hope. After I returned, he told me that his wife had died, and how he had new plans to ensure that nothing like that would happen again. I found out that he intended to bring Corinna back to life once he took Arceus.” He shook his head. “He might seem like a mad-Pokémon, but he’s just a guy trying to correct his mistakes—to reverse his consequences, really.”

Cassia held her sides, staring at the floor. “If he’s so dangerous, then why don’t we do something about him? He has the Seal, and—“

“The Seal is broken beyond repair; Laryon made sure of that. Arthus can never take Arceus again.” Matheus huffed, looking away. “He might be insane, but he’s not the worst of our worries. There are other things we must be focused on.”

Lawrence moaned, and his eyelid flickered. Matheus pulled on his hat and said, “Better get ready. Dealing with a bunch of memories that aren’t his own will make him feel disoriented.”

Before Cassia could ask more, Lawrence snapped awake.

He shot up, breathing heavily. He felt lightheaded, the remnants of the memories dancing in his vision. He held his head, groggily turning toward Cassia, seeing a vague, blackish shape.

Matheus, in a muffled voice, said, “You didn’t show him all of them, did you?”

He saw Cassia shift slightly. “Only the important ones…”

Matheus stepped over, holding up a pale blue paw. “Better clear your head before you pass out again.” He pressed the paw against Lawrence’s head, and he immediately felt better his vision crisp and his hearing clear.

Matheus stepped away, the blue glow fading from his paw. He nodded his head, then said, “Good thing Aura has a calming effect compared to Life. You feel better?”

Lawrence nodded. “Yeah…how’d you do that?”

“This?” Matheus held up his paw, causing Aura to appear once more. “Comes naturally, really.” He shook his head, lowering his paw. “But now’s not the time for that. What did you see?”

Lawrence closed his eyes, struggling to remember. He saw Cassia fleeing the Guild, soothing Grom’s fear, and grieving over Arianne. Briefly, he saw the troubles Cassia experienced through her teaching of Arceus, all thanks to her lineage—a descendant of Arthus.

Cassia scooted closer, enclosing Lawrence’s paw with her hand. “Do you…do you know why I hid from you? Why I appeared as a Gardevoir?”

He remained silent. The wood under the pot crackled, the sparks flitting up the chimney and out into the air. The waves beat against ship, gently rocking them. Grom’s contented chuckle reverberated through the air, for reasons unknown.

Finally, Lawrence said, “I’ve had to go through a lot. I had to hide because I’m from Unova; I couldn’t trust anyone because they’d think I was crazy, saying that I came in a vortex and got turned into a Lucario. I was afraid of losing what help I had—you.”

He clenched his free paw. “But then, you found out. You saw what made me different, saw right through my lies. I knew you were going to leave me—yet you didn’t. You understood. You wanted to help me.”

He lifted Cassia’s claw, looking into her eyes. “I found you out, and you thought I was going to leave you, because you’re related to the Pokémon who wants to kill me, kill everyone. You even thought I was going to leave because you believe in Arceus and I don’t. Is that right?” Cassia looked away, then sheepishly nodded her head.

Lawrence smiled. “Well…I won’t.” He released Cassia’s claw, studying her astonished expression. “I’ve seen your life. You’ve had it so much harder than me. I never had to run away from my parents. I never had someone I love die.” His smile faded, and he lowered his head. “But I have had to hide myself. Not just here, but back home, in Sinnoh. Everyone there hated that I didn’t believe in Arceus, so I had to hide that, and worry about anyone finding out. That’s why I left as soon as I could.” He looked up. “I know how you feel. I’m not angry anymore. I’m just…glad that someone else has felt what I felt.”

Cassia sighed with relief, holding a hand to her head. She suddenly hugged Lawrence, causing him to flinch and widen his eyes. He gave an astonished look to Matheus, who simply shrugged with a grin.

Lawrence cleared his throat awkwardly, then said, “Um…didn’t you have a ‘relationship’ with ‘Aleron’?”

Cassia pushed him away and scowled. “You heard that from Grom, didn’t you?”

After a moment of silence, they erupted with laughter, until Grom peeked his head in through the window. “Graow?”

Cassia waved a dismissive hand, straining to keep back her laughter. “N-No, we weren’t just talking about you.”

“Grm.” Grom shrugged, then pulled his head out.

They laughed once more, and after a while, they finally calmed to sniffles, then to sighs.

Matheus wiped a tear from his eye, the last trails of a laugh leaving his lips. “Whoo, nothing like a tense mood to make a good punchline.” He rubbed his snout, then said, “So, now that all is forgiven, I should probably explain why else I came here.”

From his cloak, he pulled out a ragged piece of paper, then unfolded it, spreading it across his legs. Cassia and Lawrence hovered over it, seeing it marked extensively by rough charcoal sketches, particularly in Deitae.

Matheus pointed toward the northern section of Serenita. “I’ve been keeping track of your progress from the Tree of Life.”

Lawrence blinked and waved his paws, “Whoa, wait a minute. What do you mean you were watching us at the Tree of Life?”

“I’ll explain later,” Matheus replied. He continued, “You’ve done quite well, but there’s one key section of Serenita that I know will need the Tome.” He tapped three different locations along the top. “Here.” He then pointed back towards the center. “And a little around here.”

Cassia studied them, shaking her head. “But those are in hard-to-reach areas. I haven’t had any experience there.” She wrinkled her nose. “And I’ll have to go back to Saunte. They’ll recognize me there, even with my disguise.”

Matheus pointed at himself. “That’s why I’m here. Two thousand years of going across Serenita, and you’re bound to know something.” He quickly circled the rest of the map. “Far as I can tell, they’re the only places you haven’t gone to. That’s important, given what will be happening soon.”

“What will be happening soon?” Lawrence asked.

Matheus tapped the side of his head with a smirk. “Read the Tome, then you’ll know.”

Lawrence groaned, then turned to Cassia. “Do you know?”

Cassia shrugged. “I might read it all the time, but I don’t know everything about it.”

Matheus waved a paw. “Ach, you’ll know soon enough.” He carefully folded the map again, stuffing it back into his cloak. “Regardless, we’ll first be going to the Xilo Mountains. Then we’ll go up around the peak, then to the Faylen Jungle. Then we’ll go around Mount Furnek and finish off with Saunte.”

“It should be easy with Hoopa around,” Cassia mentioned.

“You have Hoopa?” Lawrence asked, astounded.

Matheus shook his head, sighing. “Unfortunately, no. I convinced him to bring us to the Xilo Mountains, but he’s refusing to be outside for any longer. He loathes meeting any mortal Pokémon to their desire to have some…less desirable wishes.” Matheus shook his head and continued, “Either way, we’ll be hiking in the mountains for a while.”

Lawrence sat back on his bed, groaning. “Augh, I hate climbing mountains. Mount Coronet was horrible!”

“Where?” Cassia and Matheus asked.

Remembering their origin, Lawrence sighed. “It's a large mountain over where I come from.”

Matheus nodded his head slowly. “Yeah…so we’ll leave tomorrow for the mountains, and it will hopefully take no more than a few days to get to Jareth. It’s supposed to have Guild influence, so Lawrence,” he pointed at him, “you and I will be training together to have you be a proper Lucario.”

Later that night, Cassia slept peacefully for the first time in over a week, while Matheus snored away, an arm hanging languidly over his bed. The lanterns extinguished and the pot of Tamato soup empty, the raft lay soundly asleep.

Except for Lawrence. He stared at the window, watching Grom play in the sandbar he sat in. ‘So much happened today. Cassia’s a Zoroark, and there’s still a Lucario alive!’.

He studied his paws, thinking of aura surrounding them. ‘Maybe he can teach me to use Aura. I never thought it would be useful—until Arthus insulted me.’ He growled and clenched his fist. ‘I’ll get back at him.’

He looked away, remembering his real goal. He pulled off the Pokédex and tried seeking an access point once more. No luck.

He groaned, slipping it back into the case. ‘Equivos is a wonderful place, but I have a life to get back to. And Arceism…’ He sighed and shook his head. ‘Arceus said we needed to treat Pokemon like people in my world—yet they obviously aren’t. He doesn’t exist, and nothing will change that.’

With that in his mind, he fell asleep.

Last edited:
Special Chapter #3! A lot later than 48h with this review again, and unfortunately that may happen at future times too now - have gotten very much busier lately. Good thing Ambyssin seems to have picked up the torch on the quick reviewing, though. Anyway, onto the chapter.

Cassia gazed up at the intricate arc set within the door of the cabin. The heavy oaken guarded the humble building, black slate making the sloping tiles, with a brick chimney puffing smoke form its top.

Couldn't find any noun definition for "oaken", so I'm assuming the actual noun went missing at some point?

Cassia whipped behind her and eeped, meeting the gaze of an elderly Gardevoir.

A bit unclear, as "whip" can apparently mean both turning and moving. For a sec I thought Cassia instinctively slipped behind the Gardevoir as a defensive maneuver - which would have been clever, I admit, but it didn't match the following events so I realized its actual meaning.

So maybe "whipped around" or some other expression? I didn't even know about this definition for "whip" before I looked it up, so I can't give too much advice on that particular word, I just know that it is possible to take two different ways.

“How do you know Matheus anyways? He told me he kept himself private.”

Hmmm... it is true that "anyways" (compared to "anyway", the original version, considered correct) is colloquial, meaning it's okay for it to appear in dialogue, but it stuck out to me a bit as Cassia's way of speaking isn't otherwise too colloquial - that, and she had few contacts other than Arthus, who probably taught her to speak, and Arthus really doesn't strike me as a person who'd use "anyways".

“Don’t keep it all in your head; I may be a mind reader, but I can’t do it so well with the likes of you,” Arianne added.

Good nod to the typings.

“Three: you are not to leave your bedroom when night comes. I’ve been taking steps to ensure Pokemon don’t find this place, and that’s part of my routine.”

She lowered her hand. “And four:

Ran out of fingers, I see ;)

She clasped her fingers tapping patiently against them.

If I read this sentence right, there's a comma missing.

“What do mean I have to mark the tome? It’s too valuable for me to do that!”

Tome uncapitalized.

Arianne put them into a bowl, then set to cutting lettuce with a knife.

is this cannibalism

Something cracked, and it turned, revealing the pale, blue eyes of the Usurper. “I said no one leaves,” he seethed, sprinting toward the source. He found a Tangrowth ambling toward the gate of the guild, alongside a gathering of Tangela, wailing at the sight of Arthus.

Arthus held up a claw, crimson flame enveloping it. “Traitors!” He threw it at the Tangrowth, and the vine Pokemon erupted in flames, shrieking and rolling in an attempt to be rid of it. The Tangela scattered, only to be struck by the Usurper with the same deadly weapon.

Tangela's such a forgotten mon, but still cute in its own way. It's a good choice here, showing that Arthus really spares no one.

“You use Life, don’t you? As well as Arthus? Does that make you the same as him?”

“No, of course not!” Cassia exclaimed. “He uses Life to kill and control! I just want to help Pokemon with it!”

Arianne pointed at her with a grin. “There’s your answer. Just because someone bad shares a trait with you, it doesn’t mean you’ll end up like them.” Arianne lifted the charcoal sack with her telekinesis and held it in front of Cassia. “Now how about you draw something for me; I couldn’t make a tree for the life of me.”

It's a good lesson to teach to her before she gets all "but Arthus ate sugar too!" on herself.

“I wanted to show you something I made tonight. I didn’t want to wait till morning.””

Accidental extra quote.

“Of course, it is. We have tomes, so it is our responsibility to teach them.”

Lack of capitalization could be intentional and understandable as it's put in plural, but it could also just be a typo, so pointing it out to be sure.

“You shivering more than a soggy Meowth. What are you so worried about?”

Oh, love that simile. :D

Sitting in a disheveled home, Cassia and Arianne sat in front of a family of Gurdurr, their Timburr children sitting peacefully at their feet.

Sitting is used three times in this sentence. The first one can definitely go, given the second makes it redundant.

He abilities could be used for good, in teaching the Pokemon of the world.

*Her

General Comments

Arianne's death was surprising for me, but looking back, there was a bunch of foreshadowing. Still, seeing Cassia find her corpse like that was pretty heartbreaking.

The weaviles having killed an old helpless (well, to an extent) woman makes it a pretty strong choice for Cassia not to bring them very rightful-seeming revenge. However, it is a bit odd how the weaviles would turn out to be so sympathetic after what was essentially monslaughter (I'll show myself out). It would make more sense if it was more strongly implied that it was at least partly accidental, in my opinion.

---

I see you've actually uploaded the next chapter by the time I've finished writing this! I'll get to reading it right after posting. See you in your next reply.

Managed to be quicker again this time. Chapter 10, let's go.

In the just-settled darkness of Dusknoir Guild, Gardner shot out from the ground in a cloud of dirt, skidding against the ground with a grunt. Arthus leapt from beneath the stricken tree, then slashed the withered giant, causing it to collapse in a pile of splinters. The massive gate remained shut mere feet in front of them.

It's sort of unclear to me what exactly is happening in this beginning. I know they're in Dusknoir Guild, but I don't know what the "stricken tree" is (or don't remember) and why Arthus is laying waste to it.

None of these islets had life more complex than plants,

Well... this is the nitpick of nitpicks, but there's a lot of variation among plants when it comes to complexity. Moss is pretty primitive, but flowering plants actually came around only after the first birds and mammals. So technically it doesn't really make sense to say something was "more complex" than plants.

Several chests sat on the floor, along with a collection of beds, surrounding a small stone firepit, the fire within isolated from the wood. Several lanterns hung overhead, lighting the room with coarse yellow light.

Two sentences in a row starting with "several" - a minor thing, but still clunky.

Matheus set his bowl down and scooted to her. “It wasn’t your fault, Cassia. Gardner would have found you sooner or later anyway.:

Colon in place of quotation mark.

Lawrence closed his eyes, struggling to remember. He saw Cassia fleeing the Guild, soothing Grom’s fear, and grieving over Arianne. Briefly, he saw the troubles Arianne experienced through her teaching of Arceus, all thanks to her lineage—a descendant of Arthus.

Did you mean Cassia? That would make more sense.

General Comments

Not much more to say about this chapter, other than I liked it. It was a good wrap-up for the previous act and start for this beginning one. A conflict is solved, making room for new ones later on. Matheus is established as a new member of the party, with his distinct history, skills and personality.

Sorry I didn't manage to give much critique this time around, but you can always ask if there's some aspect you need opinions on.

My apologies for not getting to this sooner. A storm killed my power and by the time I had internet the forums were offline. C'est la vie.

Relationship-damaging secrets are always tricky to write, in my book. I think you did a good job making Lawrence's response feel pretty genuine. You could tell he was hurt, and that blinded him a bit to the hypocrisy that he was engaged in. Cassia had basically shut down and couldn't put a word in edgewise, which I guess makes sense given she's been shown to be rather withdrawn so far. And Matheus steps in to act like "the adult," and get Lawrence to think reasonably. Though he was a little bit hotheaded, too, which made the line about his youth rub me the wrong way. Relaitvely minor, though. And it leads to a nice little heartwarming friendship moment, complete with some lighthearted fun (at Grom's expense, poor guy). I think it was a cheerful moment in what's been a rather dark fic so far. Overall, I think it was handled well. Though, considering we just got a bunch of chapters about Cassia's past, I'm not sure it's necessary to have the little vision sequence with Lawrence, as short as it is. It's pretty safe to assume he got a relatively abbreviated version of the last three chapters that we saw. I'm glad you didn't dwell on it too much though, since we did just get that little mini-arc, and it would've felt extremely redundant.

We also, again, get a more concrete idea of what Arthus is trying to do. Though it's through Gardner's nightmares and Matheus, as opposed to Arthus himself. Perhaps that's why I feel it does a better job convincing me that Arthus isn't just a "Mwee hee hee hee, I'll get you my pretties," sort of villain. The Prison Bottle is also finally out in the open, and gives us an answer as to why Matheus seemed to be wherever he needed to be. Hoopa rings are just super convenient like that. It seems like you're drawing a bit from the movie in having Hoopa be afraid of what's inside the Prison Bottle. So, I'll be interested in seeing how that's going to go. Likewise, of course, I'm curious how you'll be handling Lawrence's training. It seems like he's in for a very bad case of "How do I shot web?" But, I'm sure you've got a plan in mind for it. Perhaps, something that explains a little bit more about what aura is, like you'd been doing with Life? I guess I'll find out eventually. ^^

Thanks for your review, both of you. I've already made the changes needed, which were gratefully not too many. I've had a harder time coming up with Chapter 12 due to both a sudden increase in schoolwork, along with a complication in writing a particular event. Still, I hope to be done with it by Saturday so I can keep my chapter backlog in case I don't have time to write.

Chapter 14: Xilo
Chapter 14: Xilo

Lawrence sat at a desk in a suit and tie, listening to the instructor at the front of the room. Around him, other students sat at desks, some listening, others sleeping, and a few playing small games with each other. The room was brightly lit and covered with pictures of the various Legends, Arceus the most prominent of them all.

After the instructor finished his lesson, Lawrence stood up and walked through the doorway, entering the throng of other people. Other teens from his class caught up with him, gabbing about their life and who the best trainer in the league was.

“Hey Stephenson!”

Lawrence winced, then he turned, seeing the smug face of a particularly well-dressed boy, standing over him by a good few inches. His outfit was cleaner, smoother, and flashier than his.

He pulled a Luxury Ball from his belt and tossed it in the air. “I don’t hear you talkin’ in class anymore. What’s your deal?”

Lawrence turned around, attempting to join the crowd again. “Not now, Josh.”

Josh grabbed his shoulder, turning him around. “I’m just wondering! You haven’t been the same since you came back from that wilderness trip.” He looked up for a moment, then said, “What happened anyway?”

Memories of the vicious battle between the Nidoking and Gabite came to mind, and Lawrence suppressed a shiver. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Have you talked to Brother Morgan about it? He’s helped me out plenty.”

“It’s different.” Lawrence looked around him, noticing that the crowd had thinned. Most everyone was to their next meeting, leaving him and Josh behind.

Josh stepped back, putting the Luxury ball back on his belt. “What’s different about it? He’s an Arceist, like you and me. He knows how we feel.”

Lawrence shook his head, turning away. “Not anymore.” He stared at the ceiling, then said, “How does your Monferno act?”

“Manny? What about him?” Josh asked, taking back his ball.

Lawrence turned around and pointed at it. “You believe that you’re supposed to treat him like a person. How do you know that he cares?”

Josh furrowed his brow, tightening his grip on Manny’s ball. “What are you talkin’ about? Of course, he cares! I feed him, play with him, even brush his fur every once in a while!”

“Does he remember any of that? Does he remember that you do all these nice things for him, or that you’re just the guy who takes care of him?”

“What’s your point? Why are you so talkative all of a sudden?” Josh asked, furrowing his brow.

Lawrence stood straight, giving him a cold stare. “I know how Pokémon really act, Josh. Manny just sees you as a source of food and comfort; he doesn’t love you. He only does things for you to get what you give him. He doesn’t remember all your times together, only that you’re his caretaker. He’s no friend; he’s just a pet!”

“Shut it!” Josh pressed the button on his ball, expanding it. “I’ve had enough of you talkin’ about Manny like that! Let’s go out and fight!”

Lawrence stood still for a moment, then gestured to his waist: no Poke Balls hung from it. “Never have, never will.” He calmly turned around, and walked away from Josh.

Josh growled, pressing the button again, causing the ball to shrink. “You’re not an Arceist! You’d never say things like that if you were!”

Lawrence lowered his head, curling his fingers.

“Not anymore.”

~~~~

Lawrence opened his eyes, the early morning shining across the floor. Cassia and Matheus were gone from their beds, leaving him to sleep. The lanterns swung above him, and the fire pit contained the embers of last night’s fire. From outside, the cawing of Wingull echoed, the salty sea breeze rushing through the slightly-open door.

He sat up and swung his legs onto the floor, rubbing his face. ‘The day…the day I said how I really felt…” He closed his eyes and rested his head against his paw. ‘I shouldn’t have.’

Something whooshed outside, followed by a duo of groans and shouts. Lawrence stood up and peered out the window, finding Matheus and Cassia standing outside next to Grom. The two furred Pokémon shook their heads and brushed their arms, sweeping off plumes of dust.

“Seriously Grom? When we’re right here?” Cassia exclaimed, combing through her mane and brushing off the sacks hanging from her arms.

Matheus took off his hat and blew it free of sand, kicking Grom’s leg. “Hardly a time to give yourself a dust bath.”

“Gra-ha-ha…” Grom chuckled, rolling his shoulders and relishing the coarse, grainy feeling throughout.

Matheus turned toward the raft and noticed Lawrence. “You’re awake! Come on outside; we’re about ready to leave!”

Lawrence nodded, then proceeded out the door, hopping onto the sandbank, and joining with them.

He turned to Cassia, who continued to brush sand off herself. She noticed his gaze, then stopped, turning away and rubbing her shoulder.

After a moment, he cleared his throat, then said, “Are you…still upset over the Tome?” She nodded.

Lawrence took out the Pokédex, typing in his password. “You can read from here anytime you like. I wouldn't mind. Really.” He held it out to her, the first page of the Tome visible on its screen.

Cassia cautiously accepted it, still wary of the foreign technology. Her claws grazed Lawrence’s paw as she took the Pokédex from his grasp. He looked down at his paw, then said, “Still have to get used to you being, well, you.”

Cassia swiped at the screen, forcing her stare of amazement away. “And I’m going to have to get used to this.” She looked up, concerned. “Did you like me better as a Gardevoir?” Matheus and Grom turned toward Lawrence.

Lawrence stood still, then, considering his words, said, “I like you no matter what you look like. What you are shouldn’t matter, right?”

Cassia sighed with relief and hugged Lawrence, exclaiming, “Oh, thank you! Thank you so much!”

Lawrence remained still, unsure of how to handle this sudden turn of events. He looked to Grom and Matheus, the latter with a grin plastered across his face, while Grom simply stood, his arms crossed.

“Hraw hraw…” Grom chuckled, putting a hand over his eyes.

Cassia lifted her head, then pushed herself away from Lawrence, tapping her fingers sheepishly. She stepped away, then, clearing her throat, said, “Isn’t it time we get going?”

Matheus nodded, still grinning. “Yes indeed.” He reached into his cloak, then gave her a wink. “Reminds me of another couple I once knew…”

Lawrence and Cassia took glance at each other and backed away.

“Haw-haw-haw-haw!” Grom bellowed, holding his heaving chest.

Matheus made a small chuckle himself. “Guess I might be making assumptions that aren’t quite there.” His smile dissipated, and he held his paw up to his lips. “Come,” he whispered, a wisp of yellow light shooting into the sky.

A ring zoomed from the light’s trajectory, and Grom’s laughter halted. The golden rings topped in front of them, swirling mist within its center. The mist funneled out of it and swirled overhead, gathering together into a tightly-packed blob, then exploded with a pop. In place of the blob, a small purple figure hung limply in the air. Two tarnished, golden hoops hung from its horns, as well as around its chest and hands. Its lavender body was coated with grayish rust, and the eyes were dark and tired.

The figure lowered to eye-level, and his eyes opened, exposing bright-yellow eyes with green pupils, still sharp, yet exhausted. “You finally call me, Matheus.”

Matheus closed his eyes and sighed. “You’ve let yourself go. You used to look magnificent, but now…”

Hoopa waved a hand, shaking his head. “I don’t care to be seen anymore, so I find that appearances don’t matter.” He looked behind Matheus. “Where’d you get the raft?”

Matheus took a glance behind him and explained, “Well, old Charles decided he wanted to go on vacation, so he let me borrow his ferry. I was just going to leave it here for him to find on his way back.”

Hoopa gave Matheus a stern look, then turned toward the others. “And I take it that they are who you want me to bring?”

“Yes. Do you have any issues?” Matheus replied pushing the bottle back into his pocket.

Hoopa hovered to Grom, studying him with a careful eye. “Well, he’s unique. Size won’t be an issue, but are you sure you want to bring him along?”

“Graow!” Grom protested, stamping his foot.

Matheus held out a paw. “Easy there; he didn’t mean anything by that.” He wrapped an arm around the djinn and whispered something to him.

Lawrence strained to hear, but Matheus stood back straight, and the other Legend continued to scrutinize Cassia.

Cassia looked down at him then after a moment, exclaimed excitedly, “I can’t believe we’ll be having Hoopa take us somewhere!”

Hoopa shrugged. “Not every day I take a Zoroark either. From what I’ve heard, you’re a pretty good girl, so no concerns here.” He went on to Lawrence, then stopped his eyes widening. He turned to Matheus and hissed, “I thought all the Lucario were gone!”

“He’s not from around here, Hoopa; not even from this world.” He nodded to Lawrence, then said, “He’s trustworthy, if a bit ridiculous. He claims to not believe in Arceus.”

“Hey!” Lawrence shouted, offended that Matheus would so freely tell such things to a stranger.

Hoopa furrowed his brow, his hand raising to a hoop. “It’s unfortunately not my place to say what you should believe in; that’s the Tomebearer’s job.” Taking his other hoop, he looked back to Cassia. “You better convince him that Arceus is real.” He threw one hoop to the north, and it zoomed past the horizon with amazing speed. He set the other hoop down in front of him, and moments after, an image of a rough, mountainous landscape appeared.

Hoopa lifted his arm, and the hoop went upright. “Just step inside when you’re ready. Once all of you are through, don’t expect me to give you any more rides; I don’t want anyone releasing that…that thing.” He hugged himself, trembling. “He…he talks to me…he never stops.”

“Hoopa…” Matheus said, reaching a paw toward him.

Hoopa pushed it away, closing his eyes. “Just go.”

Steadily, they complied, Matheus stepping first into the hoop, then Grom, Cassia, and finally Lawrence.

As Lawrence crossed through, Hoopa turned to him and said, “Arceus exists…and you know it.”

Lawrence remained still, then stepped through the hoop the rest of the way, not turning back. Hoopa grunted, then held up his hand. The connection between the Hoopa closed, and the hoop in Xilo zoomed back to its master.

The travelers watched the hoop disappear past the horizon, then studied their whereabouts. They stood midway up a towering mountain, its brothers all parallel to each other, adjacent to a gravelly wasteland beneath them. Rough grass grew in the clumps of coarse, red earth, and very occasionally a tree or bush. Staraptor cawed above them, alongside their rivals, the Braviary, as they hunted the Togedemaru and Emolga that dared to run out in the day, hunting for the sparse berries and grasses that remained. Above all of them, the snowy peaks gradually melted to streams, trickling down the rough landscape.

Matheus stepped back and made a wide, sweeping gesture. “Welcome to the greatest range in all of Equivos, the Xilo Mountains. Plenty of rock and little else, so I suggest you get used to it.”

Lawrence stepped forward and seethed, kicking away a rather sharp pebble. “Consider it done. Reminds me of Mount Coronet, rocks and all.”

Cassia hovered near Grom, peering down at the seemingly-endless ridges of rock beneath them. “I-I’ve never been this high before.”

“Graow?” Grom said, cocking his head.

Cassia made a way face and slugged his arm. “That was when we were flying, not when we were on the ground!

Matheus stepped between them, holding his hat as a gale breezed through. “All the better to get used to it then!” He looked around for a moment, then held his paw out toward the sun, studying it carefully.

He directed his gaze back to the mountain, then said, “We appear to be a few hours away from Jareth. With luck, we’ll be able to cross this mountain and get to the next in that time.”

“Wait, the next? How big is this place?” Lawrence asked.

“There’s ten main mountains, and we happen to be on the farthest one to the east.” He pulled out his map, pointing out their location. Moving slightly to the left, he said, “And here’s where Jareth is.” He made a winding trail to the west end of the range. “Then we’ll take care of things here in Cryus…” He then circled the green next to it. “Then take care of Virona in the jungle and be off to our next spot: Mount Furnek.” He tapped a solitary peak farther south.

A thought suddenly came to Lawrence’s mind. “Do you think there'd be any place I could call home from?”

“Call? What, like yell to them?” Matheus asked with a bewildered expression.

Cassia stepped closer, pointing to Lawrence’s Pokédex. “You mean using that, don’t you?”

Lawrence pulled it from its case, bringing up the beacon application. Struggling to find words the Equivosians would best understand, he said, “My...boss, Hanson, said I needed to find a ‘dimensional weakness’ that leads to home. If we find one, I can…talk with them.” He tapped the button that appeared, and moments after, saw the taunting ‘No access point in range.’

Matheus stepped around Cassia to take a better look at the Pokédex. He shook his head in disbelief. “Amazing what you ‘humans’ came up with.” He scratched his chin. “Well, I don’t know much about this dimensional business, but I’m sure there’s a Legend who does. Palkia, maybe, but like Giratina and Dialga, he rarely remains in Equivos because of all the disturbances he has to fix.”

Lawrence’s face fell. “You mean Palkia might be making it so I can’t get home?” He had no idea how he could beat a Legend in returning home.

Matheus shrugged, stepping forward. “Not sure what else to tell you; it's not like I can just go to Deitae and see if I can talk with them. You’ll just have to wait until we’re finished with what I’m here for.” He motioned for them to follow. “Come on then! Let’s talk while we walk, hmm?”

They began their trek along the rough trail set in the side of the mountain, and on a cleft above them, a Murkrow nodded its head. It flitted away, joining a troupe of other Murkrow headed southwest, toward the Guild.

~~~~

Arthus perched atop the spire of the Master’s Tower, tapping his fingers against his leg impatiently. “Why did I use Murkrow for this? Life Deposits are far more reliable.” He groaned and leaned his head against his hand. “Because Cassia and that bumbling Golurk can suck them right up.”

A cacophony of caws erupted overhead, and Arthus looked up expectantly. “Finally.” The flock swooped down and landed gracefully on top of the roof, all the Murkrow bobbing their heads, staring blankly.

Arthus held up a threatening claw. “I’ve dealt with the likes of you before, so I’m going to say it right now: one at a time, or I’ll skewer you faster than an Escavalier!” The Murkrow bobbed their heads excitedly, and Arthus pointed at one and said, “Report.”

“Nothin’ in the jungle, not one peep!” it cawed. Arthus pointed to the one on its right.

“All silent ‘round the desert!” Arthus continued to the next.

“The swamps are spooky as ever, but no Lucario!”

“Coast is clear, literally!”

“Nearly got roasted in Furnek, but nothin there!”

“Both east and west woods are free.”

“Even the plains are clean as a whistle!”

“And Cretea is boringer than—”

Arthus pinched the Murkrow’s beak shut, his eyes glowing red. “Enough.” He took a deep breath and smoothed back his mane, granting a desperate look at the final Murkrow. “And what about the mountains? Did you see anyone there?”

The Murkrow tapped its foot and clacked its beak in thought, then perked up and squawked, “Yep yep, saw a big ole Golurk, a couple Lucario, even a Zoroark, like you!”

Arthus snatched the Murkrow’s neck and roared, “Why didn’t you tell me in the first place?"

The Murkrow gurgled, struggling to breathe. Arthus cringed and set it down, then after catching its breath, the Murkrow said, “I would’ve, but you wanted us to talk one at a time, and I didn’t get picked till the end!”

Arthus narrowed his eyes and muttered, “Of course.”

The Murkrow squawked and said, “Anyhoo, found them all, took a peep and heard some stuff. They apparently are goin’ around Jareth and Cryus, takin’ a break in Virona and stopping off in Furnek, then going back ‘round to Saunte, all so they can talk about what’s in this black boxy-thingy.”

Arthus furrowed his brow. “A what?”

The Murkrow flapped his wings and shrieked, “I dunno, I’m just telling ya what I saw!”

Arthus pressed a hand against its head, calming it. “Alright, I get it! They’re going around the north part of Serenita. Is there anything else?”

He raised his hand and the Murkrow looked up a moment longer. “Well, that one Lucario said he wanted to ‘call home’, and it involved somethin’ called ‘dimensions’ or whatever.”

Arthus perked up and leaned closer. “Was it the silver one?”

“No, the boring old blue one.”

Arthus leaned back and tapped his head. “Hmm…dimensions. I read about Arceus apparently creating multiple worlds, and that he’s able to cross between them at will.” His eyes widened, and he slammed his hand into his palm. “And that strange creature from the desert was named Lawrence! Do you know what that means?”

“Nope,” the Murkrow replied, preening itself.

Arthus rolled his eyes and grabbed the Murkrow’s legs, holding him upside down. “I have no idea how traveling between worlds works, but Lawrence must have come from another one—and his spirit retained his normal form!” He tapped his chin. “I don’t know how he changed, but at least that explains how a Lucario slipped from my fingers.”

“Cool and all, but can you put me down?”

Arthus held up the Murkrow and said, “Go let the captain of Jareth know that I’ll be visiting. Make it there before nightfall and I’ll give you a whole bushel of berries.”

All the Murkrow suddenly began shouting, “Berries! Berries! Berries!” over and over again, flapping repeatedly and sending feathers everywhere.

Arthus growled and kicked all of them save the one in his hands off the roof. “Idiots!” He held up the Murkrow again and said, “Understood?”

The Murkrow nodded vigorously, it’s eyes unfocused. “Yep yep, deliverin’ message!” Arthus let him free, and the Murkrow flitted to the north.

Arthus wheezed a sigh of relief and leaned against the tower’s spire. “Now…what to do with Lawrence…” He thought for a moment, then a wicked grin split across his face.

“Oh…I know exactly what to do.”

~~~~

“The Ancient Trevenant really did that?”

Matheus looked up in bewilderment, walking between Cassia and Lawrence as they trekked across the mountains. Grom tromped just behind them, chipping away pieces of rock as he passed jutting boulders.

Cassia held her sketchpad in front of Matheus, revealing the picture she had drawn over a week before. “Really! Look, see, here’s the Buneary he adopted”

Matthews traced his paw over the picture, nodding his head. “Huh. I thought it was strange going there instead of in the Ythereal Swamps like he usually does, but…”

As he continued on, Lawrence thought of the Trevenant’s prophecy. The words came back to him clearly, despite it being nearly a well since he heard them: A Keeper once was…a treader of realms…a deceiver of self. ‘What did he mean by that?’

He massaged his head, thinking instead of the last half of the poem. Awaken Aleron as well as the Keeper and Equivos may be reborn to live on. ‘How can Aleron be awakened if he’s dead. How could Equivos be “reborn”?’

A gap came in Cassia and Matheus’ conversation. Lawrence hastily jutted in and said, “Matheus, what do you know about Aleron?”

Matheus stepped away, turning his head. “Where’d you hear that name?”

Cassia replied, “The Ancient Trevenant talked about him. Why?”

Matheus grunted, pulling his cloak over his shoulder. “Never mind.” He stopped, his eyes taking a far-off look. “I…I haven’t heard that name in a long time. I…I knew him well.”

Lawrence stopped alongside him, “Who was he? He seems to be important from what the Trevenant said to me.”

“What?” Matheus exclaimed. He pulled Cassia’s sketchpad close and rapidly scanned through Lawrence’s prophecy. His eyes widened, and he let go of the pad. “Awaken Aleron…” He shook his head, hiking once more. “He’s dead and can never return!”

Cassia stepped in front of him, holding her claws out. “But you came back to life!”

Matheus crossly stepped around her. “He didn’t just die physically.” He lowered his head, keeping his pace faster than his companions.

Lawrence turned to Cassia, bewildered. “He came back to life?”

Cassia cocked her head. “Don’t you remember the story I told you when we met?”

Lawrence remembered. Matheus protected Laryon and helped him stop Arthus in the past—two thousand years ago. He died but was brought back to life by the very legend Lawrence did not believe in: Arceus.

“That can’t be right. I can understand Arthus surviving with Yveltal—even if it is a bit of a stretch—but a Lucario living for two thousand years is too much,” Lawrence said in hushed tones.

“But he has lived for that long!”

“But that’s not--”

“I have lived for two thousand years!”

Matheus sprang in front of Lawrence, pressing his paw against his chest. “Don’t deny the truth! I’ve seen hundreds die of old age, and dozens of cities built and destroyed in a matter of centuries!” He stepped away, glaring at Lawrence. “Believe what you will, I won’t have anyone saying that I’m a fraud. I am the same Lucario that protected Laryon all those years ago—and suffered Arthus’ betrayal.” He clenched his paw, then strode faster. “Don’t talk any more about my past.”

Lawrence remained still, shaken by Matheus’ outburst. Cassia gave him a disappointed look, then continued past him. Grom also crossed, shaking his head sadly and dragging his feet.

Lawrence thought of all the different possibilities for Matheus’ extended life. ‘Maybe he’s…a descendant that took his name? Maybe hibernation?” He shook his head. “He simply couldn’t be resurrected by Arceus.’

“He doesn’t exist…he can’t.” He looked up, watching a Braviary soar overhead. “I’ve seen it for myself.”

He ran to catch up with the Arceists.

~~~~

Hours later, after a long silence between them, they finally reached the one of the few settlements in the Xilo mountains: Jareth. A mighty river rushed down the peak, coursing right through the center of the town. Low-roofer buildings made of chiseled brick cropped around it, bridges extending over the river. Drilled through the side of the mountain, various tunnels wove in an out of the developments, Rock and Water Pokémon weaving in and out of them. Pillars made of the same stone rose at the outskirts, the burning Arc of Arceus waving on their flags.

They stopped several yards from the gate, with Matheus leading them. He looked up at the flags and bared his teeth. “Those used to stand for the light of Arceus protecting Pokémon, always shining to save them from whatever they faced.” He lowered his head. “Now they’re only a symbol of Arthus’ tyranny.” His paw shook briefly, then subsided. He looked to Cassia and said, “It will be just as you’ve done before: investigate, dominate, educate.”

Cassia held her chin. “I never thought of it like that before—or made it rhyme.”

Matheus shrugged, motioning for her to hurry. “I’ve dabbled at writing for a time, but can you hurry? I don’t like the looks of those Golduck down there.” The two Golduck with armbands stood at the entrance, taking occasionally glances in their direction.

Cassia waved her claws over Lawrence, making his Watchog illusion return. She waved over herself, and her Gardevoir form appeared. She was going to do the same over Matheus but stopped. “Um…do you have any preference about how you look like?”

Lawrence scowled. “Why do I get stuck as a Watchog when he gets to choose? They’re paranoid little brats!”

Before Cassia could reply, Matheus said, “I’ll have you know that I’ve met plenty of respectable Watchog, and they are not ‘brats’.” He looked up momentarily. “Although I agree, they are rather paranoid.”

Cassia ran her fingers through what appeared to be green hair and explained, “I couldn’t very well ask you what you wanted to be earlier, considering that I was hiding!”

Lawrence cringed, stepping back. “Sorry. I should have remembered.” He made a sympathetic smile. “Can I still change?”

Cassia groaned, rolling her eyes. “It’s not that simple. It’s easier to work with an illusion I’ve made before since I’m already familiar with it; making new ones on the fly is tiring, and actually makes them rather blurry. I had to use my Life to get yours right the first time, and I really prefer not to do that.” She sighed, turning to Matheus. “Anyway, what do you want to be?”

Matheus thought for a moment and said, “Hmm…how about a dashing Gallade, rugged and adventurous. Older, of course; wouldn’t want to be confused for your brother.”

Cassia gave him a curious look. “You seem to have an awfully clear idea of what you want.”

Matheus shrugged. “I’ve had plenty of time to think about it.”

Cassia smiled, then waved her hand. In Matheus’ place, a Gallade stood, his arms at his sides and a large grin across his face. Various nicks were scattered across his blades, and his body was covered in faded scars.

He stood still for a moment, then his smile faded. “The last time I had a disguise was when Arthus and I had to infiltrate a camp of bandits in the Kaena forest, years ago.” He put a hand to his forehead. “To think that I still remember that.” After a moment he shook his head, then pointed onward. “Come on, let’s not waste time.” He stepped behind the rocky outcropping toward the own.

Cassia and Lawrence followed. The Gardevoir turned toward Grom and said, “We’ll be back before long!”

“Gra-grawm…” he sighed, waving his arm languidly. He leaned on the wall, crossing his arms with a sigh.

Lawrence took a glance back toward Grom and said, “Does he ever go with you?”

“I can’t have Pokémon figuring out who I am; they’d know if they saw him with me.”

“But he went into Barash for you.”

“That was only because you decided to go in.”

“He’s just so lonely. Most Golurk tend to have constant training by their trainers to prevent them from overloading on energy; he must be bored out of his mind.”

Cassia stopped. “How do you know so much about Golurk?”

Lawrence remained silent for a moment, then said, “I’m a specialist in Pokémon behavior. I know how Pokémon act, and how intelligent they are, so I can better understand them.”

Cassia stared at him, then back toward Grom. “So…you know how Zoroark like me would act then? You know how everyone in Equivos would act?”

Lawrence continued forward, shaking his head. “No, I don’t. You have personality, thoughts. You’re nothing like the Pokémon in my world.”

Cassia furrowed her brow, following Lawrence. “You sounded like you did. Why did you want to want to be a ‘specialist’?”

Lawrence closed his eyes, clenching his paw. “To…to know how to protect myself from them.”

Cassia’s eyes widened. “Do you hate Pokémon?”

Lawrence halted and turned to face her. “No! No, I don’t!” He stared for a moment, then sighed, turning away. “I just…I just…” He cringed. “Feared them.” He stiffened, then turned away, running to meet Matheus, leaving Cassia to stare.

~~~~

Floatzel and Azumarill patrolled the streets of Jareth, keeping a watchful eye on the Graveler, Boldore and Dugtrio that lumbered through, carrying ore and food to the massive stone building at the forefront of all. Buizel and Azurill played in the outcroppings of the river, laughing merrily with their mothers holding berries in trays. Nearby, in the tiny caves of the Rock Pokémon, battered Roggenrola and Diglett huddled close, striving to remain free of the water.

Lawrence, Matheus and Cassia crossed through the gates. The Golduck gave them sideways glance, not sensing any danger from the troupe. Few Pokémon turned to look at them, the Water Pokémon too concerned with their business, while the Rock and Ground feared what would happen if they did.

Cassia paled at the sight of the Rock Pokémon, their surfaces rounded and scratched, and their eyes tired and limbs thin. The Gardevoir drew close to Matheus and hissed, “What is happening here?”

Matheus whispered gravely, “The Water Pokémon. Rock Pokémon fear water because it weakens their bodies and hurts their eyes, so naturally, the Guild took advantage of that.” He pointed to a large Azumarill standing at the entrance to the storehouse, who wore a red armband.

The Azumarill’s fur clean and immaculate, he held himself higher than the Graveler and Boldore that surrounded him. “All supplies have been brought to storage, yes?”

A thick and scarred Aerodactyl with bloodshot eyes sat on one Boldore, growling, “You know we need some for our families. How are we supposed to survive when you take all we have?”

The Azumarill glared at the Aerodactyl. “You’ll get what you need in a couple days; that’s when all the Guild members get their share.”

“But they get so much more than us, and we’ve been doing all the work,” a Graveler replied, holding his arms close.

The Azumarill opened his mouth and shot a jet of water at the Graveler, forcing him onto his back. In his moaning, the Azumarill clambered on top and sneered at the Graveler. “If you have a problem with it, talk to the Guildmaster about it; he’ll be coming around tomorrow for inspections. I’m sure he’d love to hear about it.”

The Graveler closed his eyes, holding a hand over the crumbling section of his chest. The Azumarill humphed in satisfaction, then leapt off, letting the other Graveler help their comrade to his feet and throw dust on the wound to dry it.

The Azumarill turned toward Lawrence and shouted, “Who’re you?”

Lawrence—caught off-guard—stuttered, “We’re—we’re just, passing through.”

The Azumarill studied him suspiciously, walking toward him and the others. “Pokémon hardly ‘pass through’ around here. Where’d you and your partners come from, Watchog?”

Matheus cut in and replied, “We’re just making our way to an old friend that lives past your town. We came from the Minute Plains to get up here.”

The Azumarill continued to scrutinize him. “A visit, hmm?” The Gallade nodded.

Cassia then said, “We’ll be on our way; we’d rather not bother you with our business.” She walked around the Azumarill and across the bridge, passing by the deprived Rock Pokémon. The aged Aerodactyl focused his gaze on Cassia, squinting his eyes.

Matheus and Lawrence followed, while the Azumarill waved toward a tall Floatzel. He walked to him and said, “Orders, Captain Loran?”

Loran pulled him close and whispered, “Watch those guys; Pokémon don’t just come up here for visits.” He pointed to the Aerodactyl. “Double the guard on the storehouse tonight. Old Aerav is getting too big for his wings.”

Matheus, Cassia and Lawrence calmly crossed the other gate, then when out of sight, rushed behind a series of rocks. Cassia dropped their guises and exclaimed, “He said Gardner will be coming tomorrow!”

Matheus groaned, massaging his head. “No, worse. Gardner never leaves the Guild. Likely they’re talking about Arthus and making sure he isn’t brought up to cause a scare.” He firmed his gaze and clenched his paw. “We’ll have to attack tonight and teach them in the morning, then be off before he can notice.”

“Are you sure that’s the best idea? What if he comes while we’re teaching?” Cassia said.

Matheus shrugged, gesturing behind him. “We can figure out what time exactly with a little of your expertise. Once done, we’ll just go beforehand. Would you mind?” Cassia realized what he meant, then disappeared, her footsteps barely heard as she ran back toward Jareth.

Matheus nodded approvingly, then took a glance at Lawrence. “While we’re waiting, how about we see if you have what it takes to be a real Lucario.”

Last edited:
I think there's a bit of a disconnect for me to start things off here. Mostly because the flashback to Lawrence's human childhood brings mention to some sort of wilderness excusion that had some type of battl in it that really made him change the way he thinks about Pokémon and, I guess, religion for that matter. Maybe you're planning to show off that moment later down the line? Because, at it stands, I was filled with a lot of questions about it. Like, what happened? What was so harring about that battle to totally shake up Lawrence's views on life? Why hasn't this stuff popped up at all since he's been talking with Cassia? You might stand to at least describe his memories of it a bit in the flashback, assuming you'll be bringing up this memory again later. At it does seem like that's what you're going for. And it would help sell the later revelation that, in fact, Lawrence's current attitudes and behavior seem to stem from a general fear of Pokémon. Which is a pretty unique angle to take, I suppose. We don't tend to get a lot of stories focusing on people actually being afraid of the big monsters that can shoot magic out of their faces. Lawrence hasn't exactly been all that scared of any of the Pokémon he's met, though. So, I'm guessing there's slightly more to it than that...

The other thing that gave me pause was Lawrence's rather underwhelming reaction to seeing Hoopa. I get that Hoopa looked ragged. But considering Lawrence's past, you'd think he'd be at least a bit more surprised to be face to face with an actual Mythical Pokémon. Especially since, if Hoopa's talking about Arceus, it's got to lend a lot more credence to the fact that he exists here. Someone had to make Hoopa, right? But Lawrence doesn't seem jarred at all by Hoopa's appearance. He's more concerned about Palkia getting name-dropped a bit later. Unless you're trying to tell me Lawrence met Dialga and/or Palkia on top of Mt. Coronet. Because it sure doesn't sound like he did. That said, I do like the Xilo Mountains. While I myself am afraid of heights, I like video game settings that have a setting of verticality to them. They always give me this warm, tingly feeling inside. And, though they're not described much, the mountains got that reaction out of me still. Maybe it was the Phendrana Drifts theme I had playing in the background?

I like these teases showing that there may be more to Garnder than meets the eye (heh). Though, I'm a bit confused about what Arthus ends up saying. If Arthus was close enough to Lawrence to hear him talking about another dimension, why didn't A) Matheus detect him (answer's probably dark magic/Life or illusions, but had to ask), and B) Arthus just attack and kill them from the shadows? I can ask that, because unlike Gardner, I'm allowed to ask questions. :p For someone who seems to want them dead, Arthus sure has a very roundabout way of going through with his plans. Kind of seems like he's gripping the villain ball pretty tightly right now. But, I guess I'll have to wait for the next chapter to see what comes of this idea. Since it seems like there's going to be another run-in between our heroes and Gardner.

@Ambyssin

As for your first statement, I actually made reference to that childhood scene in Chapter 5, when I made my major revisions after your first review. I can understand why you might've missed it, and maybe should bring reference to it here. As for his fear...well, you'll see.

I can describe Lawrence's reaction towards Hoopa a little more, I'll give you that. As for Dialga and Palkia, they're a big deal in Sinnoh, as they have definitely been proven to be real, just like Hoopa actually. In this world, the only Legend to not have been truly proven to exist is Arceus. Note that in the actual game, he's the only one to have had a distribution cancelled in his home generation--one that would have proven him to exist, potentially.

Finally, Arthus. You have to remember that his goal isn't to kill everyone who opposes him--even if that is something he does--but to restore the Seal of Creation. I won't say anything more on the matter, but know that while he may have a roundabout way of doing things, it is all so he can complete his goals without any loose ends.

EDIT: Forgot t okay something involving him not being detected. Matheus may be sensitive to Life/Aura, but he has to actually focus on detecting said energies, and if Arthus is careful not to use them, he can be difficult to detect due to his illusory abilities.

As for your first statement, I actually made reference to that childhood scene in Chapter 5, when I made my major revisions after your first review. I can understand why you might've missed it, and maybe should bring reference to it here. As for his fear...well, you'll see.
Ah, yes, so you did! It's laid out in grizzly detail. Apologies, I have... a very poor memory.

Note that in the actual game, he's the only one to have had a distribution cancelled in his home generation--one that would have proven him to exist, potentially.
Huh. Y'know, that's such a meta explanation given it's mixing game logic and real world. But I like it! ^^

I won't say anything more on the matter, but know that while he may have a roundabout way of doing things, it is all so he can complete his goals without any loose ends.
I would think Matheus qualifies as a loose end. But he must have something specific in mind for the guy.

Forgot t okay something involving him not being detected. Matheus may be sensitive to Life/Aura, but he has to actually focus on detecting said energies, and if Arthus is careful not to use them, he can be difficult to detect due to his illusory abilities.
Gotcha. So there's a little extra going onto his illusions besides hiding his form. ^^

Here are my thoughts on Chapter 11.

Lawrence sat at a desk in a suit and tie, listening to the instructor at the front of the room. Around him, other students sat at desks, some listening, others sleeping, and a few playing small games with each other. The room was brightly lit and covered with pictures of the various Legends, Arceus the most prominent of them all.

After the instructor finished his lesson, Lawrence stood up and walked through the doorway, entering the throng of other people. Other teens from his class caught up with him, gabbing about their life and who the best trainer was in the league.

“Hey Stephenson!”

Lawrence winced, then he turned, seeing the smug face of a particularly well-dressed boy, standing over him by a good few inches.

I'm having a bit of trouble imagining what counts as more well-dressed than a suit and tie for a man. It also begs another question: if these two boys can dress differently, meaning there are no school uniforms, why did Lawrence come in a suit? Sounds cumbersome for just casual class.

Though it could just be that I'm thinking about a wrong type of suit. I'm terrible with clothes, especially men's given I don't wear them. I never went to a school with uniforms, either.

As for the bolded part, I think "who the best trainer in the league was" would sound better.

“What’s your point? Why are you so talkative all of a sudden?” Josh asked, furrowing his brow.

He pulled a Luxury Ball from his belt, tossing it into the air. “I don’t hear you talkin’ in class anymore. What’s your deal?”

I get that they're about different contexts, but these two lines still kind of clash. Probably just rephrasing either or both would fix it.

Cassia and Matheus were. Gone from their beds, leaving him to sleep.

Sentence ends in the middle of itself.

Lawrence strained to t hear,

Extra t.

Steadily, they complied, Matheus stepping first into the hoop, then Grom, Cassia, and finally Lawrence

Missing period at the end of this sentence.

The travelers watched the hoop disappear past the horizon, then studied their whereabouts. They stood midway up a towering mountain, it's brothers all parallel to each other, adjacent to a gravelly wasteland beneath them. Rough grass grew in the clumps of coarse, red earth, and very occasionally a tree or bush. Staraptor cawed above them, alongside their rivals, the Braviary, as they hunted the Togedemaru and Emolga that dared to run out in the day, hunting for the sparse berries and grasses that remained. Above all of them, the snowy peaks gradually melted to streams, trickling down the rough landscape.

*its

Anyway, as you've heard many times before, I like the description. It really makes it seem like its own location with its own unique ecosystem and so.

“Call? What, like yell to them?” Lawrence asked with a bewildered expression.

Hahahahaha ;D Although I think that was meant to be Matheus, not Lawrence.

The door flew open, and a swath of black and read fur bounded up them. “I’ve found them!”

*red

“It will be just as you’ve done before: investigate, decimate, educate.”

Uhh... "decimate" sounds pretty violent? It's primarily defined as "kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of" and "kill one in every ten of (a group of people, originally a mutinous Roman legion) as a punishment for the whole group." in a Google search, and Arceism seems like it doesn't like violence too much. Good thing English has loads of verbs ending in -ate, though, so there are lots of alternatives to choose from.

Cassia held. Her chin.

Sentence thing again.

He leaned on the wall, crossing his arms with a sigh.”

Extra quotation mark.

keeping a watchful eye on he Graveler,

*the

She walked around the Azumarill and across the bridge, passing by the depraved Rock Pokemon.

"Depraved" is defined as "morally corrupt; wicked". Did you mean to use a different word, maybe "deprived"?

General Comments

Lawrence being rejecting of the Arceist teachings because he's seen the cruelty of nature makes a lot of sense. If I'm not totally mistaken and the source I heard it from is to trust, Charles Darwin actually used to be Christian, but some really underhanded and messed up survival tactics used by animals in the wild (such as bugs laying their eggs inside other living bugs) made him lose his faith. So, I'd say this motivation's proven to be pretty realistic. Even if it is kind of weird that Lawrence is totally okay with a space-distorting legend like Palkia, but a world-creating entity is just out of the question. I know the reasons for his disbelief stem from ethical standpoints, but I feel like he might as well think that Arceus does exist but just isn't the benevolent god he's said to be.

I was also going to ask similar questions as Ambyssin did on Arthus, but you seem like you have that planned, and I've had a fever for the whole day that already made me forget once that Cassia is a Zoroark until I read the part about her being furred and thought about it for a while, lol. My point is, if something in this review doesn't make sense or ignores a well-established fact, the illness is likely to blame, so sorry about that.

@canisaries

Thanks for the review; I'll get to work on the recommended changes. lot of those little word errors have to do with my typing with a Bluetooth keyboard on my phone. It occasionally loses connection, so little things like that happen.

I can understand your point on Arceus, and it might be better for me to try and implement parts of it in the long run. Lawrence is interacting with living proof that Arceus exists, and the fact that other Legends very well exist can also be a driving factor. It could become a war more for understanding the true nature of Arceus rather than a war of believing that he exists. We'll see how it's all implemented however.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom