• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tell us what you think of the Pokemon above....

I'm relatively impartial to Scorbunny, in stark contrast to my hatred for its final form. In fact, during my first impressions in the first Sword and Shield trailer/stream, it was the starter I initially latched to before Sobble. Unfortunately, new toy syndrome dissipated long for me to never care about it these days.

Tangrowth.

Charmander is a very cute little dinosaur-lizard. I like Bulbasaur and Squirtle just as much, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Fire starters so I might like it just a smidgen more than the other two. (...Though whenever I say that, I feel like I'm part of the problem, because we know how TPC has been about favoring Charizard for the past 8 years...)

Smeargle?

I like Hawlucha because it's a Fighting type with an unorthodox design, at least in my opinion. I think it combines the idea of a luchador with a bird fairly well, with the exception of its mouth placement. It isn't a major deal and it doesn't look too weird, but it still bothers me a little. Why isn't it on its beak?

Speaking of Fighting types with weird mouth placement (in my opinion), Grapploct.

Yeah, the mouth thing is part of what bothers me about Grapploct too. I’d personally like it better if there were no mouth, or even a beak like a real octopus, instead of that kinda cursed mouth they gave it. Plus it’s arbitrarily not a Water-type. Like, I get giving sea creatures non-Water types in some cases, like with Stunfisk and Dragalge having unusual type combos, but with Grapploct it just feels like unnecessarily excluding a type that feels more than appropriate. :v

Galarian Linoone

I already reviewed this, but I'll reply anyway to respond to someone here. Basically, I think the design flows well and I actually like that its not Water type; but that mouth is downright off-putting, is jarring in comparison to Clobbopus's more realistic mouth; and it should've at least been part-Dark type.

And yet I get ninja'd.

Galarian Linoone is cool, its an edgy badger with a predatory face and a striking monochromatic pattern. It kinda proves that even minor changes can really make a design striking.
Not entirely sure why it was necessary for GF, but oh well. Neutral towards it..

Well...

1. Regional variants for a group of Legendary Pokemon; let alone Legendary Pokemon, are a unique concept. And Game Freak has started to plunge to new territory lately with Legendaries; Gen 7 had Legendary Pokemon that evolved.
  2. Let's be honest here, they may be the first Legendary trio in existence and are recurring Legendary encounters, but they haven't really had much focus or adulation for them; even for a group of Pokemon introduced in Gen 1. I guess one could cite the Sea Spirit Den, which by name implied that Lugia's relation towards the Birds in the anime is a thing in the games' canon as well; but its pretty impertinent, no one in-game really talks about it or the Birds, and Lugia doesn't even show up at all. Even in their original game they didn't have that much fanfare, they sat around in specific areas and are only lightly adulated by the 'Dex and some NPCs.
  3. I'm gonna try to pry the can-of-worms subject that is whether if certain Legendaries are a Single Specimen Species or not and note that there's been an implication that each of the Legendary Birds are an extant, but rare species. (This is just one example: Pokemon Snap had them hatch from Eggs.) I think that helps make the Birds an easy subject to make Galarian forms off.
Galarian Moltres

Last edited:
Along with the other Galarian birds, I like it plenty more than the original! I know we already have a Dark/Flying legendary + several other Dark/Flying bird Pokémon, so the typing isn’t necessarily super unique or original, but the design and coloration are still really cool in my opinion and I am just generally a big fan of the new spin on an old legendary trio.

Registeel

Easily my favourite of the lake trio. Love its high speed and attacking stats and the fact it represents willpower.
Excadrill

The greatest Pokemon of all time, objectively. I'm kidding (probably) but Cradily is by far the most underappreciated of the fossils. It looks equally silly and intimidating, and I love using it for its stall tactics in competitive. It's served me well for many many years now, especially with its HA being the almighty Storm Drain. It hasn't appeared in the anime once since DP and I really hope we get to see it in action again sooner or later. Only love for Cradily.

Feebas?

Back
Top Bottom