• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tera Raiding Thread!!

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
hi everyone!! i'm rather surprising a raiding thread hasn't been made yet, but i've been having LOTS of fun with tera raids! this thread is to talk about your experiences with tera raids, your more difficult/easier raids, things like that! what pokemon are you using that are good at these raids (that aren't BD azumarill or BD iron hands like everyone seems to use lmao)? what are some strategies that you've developed? let everyone know here!!

Last edited:
pffhahah I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed the ridiculous prevalence of BD Iron Hands/Azumarill right now. I'm also often finding myself surrounded by Koraidon and Miraidon...

I've been really enjoying Tera Raids! To be totally honest, I was kinda expecting to just never touch them (SwSh's raid battles left a bad taste in my mouth) but they're so streamlined and fun that I can't help but do a few whenever I play.

I'm more of a "support" type rather than all-out offense; that's just what feels natural for my playstyle. I'm still working out some solid strategies for 6-star raids, but so far I've found good luck using my Garganacl — its immense bulk and immunity to status prevents it from pretty much ever going down, it can use Helping Hand to boost strong teammates, and a Stone Edge/Hammer Arm from this thing are no joke either. (Salt Cure can also be handy in a pinch
pun intended
!)

Today I got my first shiny in a Tera Raid. It was a Scizor. And in Christmas, no less.

I do use Azumarill and Iron Hands because frankly they are among the best I have for raids. But I also use a Gholdengo and my trusty Skeledirge depending on the Pokémon and the Tera type. Plus I like to have the first two maxed out as physical attackers and the other two as special attackers.

Raids have been fun. I really like doing them to get 5iv mons. I haven't bothered getting a Azumarill or Iron Hands yet.

My primary Raid Mon is Espathra. Luminous Crash is a great way to build damage since it always sharply lowers special defense; which can also be great if any of my partners are also special attackers. Espathra also gets access to both Reflect and Light Screen

I've also found that Gengar can be nice in a lot of situations. 2 immunities (fighting and normal); Nasty Plot + a wide access to many special type moves. Also; it's ability has come in clutch many times with disabling the tera mons best moves.

I've also used Kilowattrel with a metronome and just spammed discharge. It's not going to win every battle, but I've had some success with it. 2 immunities (electric and ground) Damage builds up over time from metronome and doesn't seem to be affected by the stat reset. Also; paralysis seems to be the most useful status for raids, imo.

I also like using Ting-Lu; also 2 immunites (electric and psychic) and can eat almost any physical attack. Though I haven't really found a way to do a lot of damage with it, it's attack stat makes it okay for anything it's super effective against.

There have also been some battles with unique difficulty I had to build around. I found a 6 star Toedscruel battle the other day that spammed spore all the whole time. I had to raise up a Vivillon with Safeguard to protect the team while I used Quiver dance and Bug Buzz to do some damage.

Tera raids are one of the more mixed things about the game I have so far, specifically when doing it online. The glitches are what frustrates me the most. The battle can just randomly stop at times and the health bar isn't always accurate. I think it follows what everyone does real-time, so sometimes it may take a couple of turns before I can even select a move, and during that time the raid boss often attacks multiple times. Heck once the raid just completely stopped after defeating it and I was auto kicked after 5 minutes without getting the rewards. Not to mention the couple of times where the health bar had looked like it finally ran out only for it to regain a bit of health because of the health bar glitch; this once happened like 4 times in a single raid and we ended up losing the battle.

On the upside, when glitches aren't affecting the gameplay, raids have been pretty fun and rewarding at times. I like having the chance of getting rare items like bottle caps and even the herbs for shiny hunting. Plus, you can join raids from any game, so I've gotten region exclusives from these raids without having to trade. Also, Toby Fox killed it with the theme. I don't know whether this is actually better than Max Raid Battles since I never really played Sword/Shield that much, but it's at least feels more fun to me.

I've mainly only used Azumarill with Huge Power; Adamant nature; max Attack and almost max HP IVs,; Liquidation, Play Rough, Belly Drum, and Aqua Jet; and holding a Sitrus Berry. I've considered replacing Aqua Jet with another move, but I've used it to win a couple raids when the boss is at low health, but is also close to KOing me, and the timer is literally seconds away from ending. Also got Iron Hands as a backup but I've only used it for a few raids that Azumarill wouldn't be able to handle.

• Staff
does anyone still raid in s/v? o: was curious!

i think unless there's a 'mon i'm interested in like greninja, then i tend not to raid much these days. i have way too many exp candies and other items that i get from farming them a lot. ><. on the other hand, the valentine's tandemaus event looks interesting if only for the sandwich ingredients. while not particularly exciting, it'll still be nice to have those on hand for shiny hunting reasons, i suppose.

I still do a lot of tera raids, mainly for herbica mystica. I have noticed the prevalence of Iron hands. It sucks.
My main mons are:
Skeledirge: I made mine a special attack monster, so I usually use torch song 2-3 times to set up at first, and then a lot of flamethrower.

Garchomp : The opposite of skeledirge in terms of attack. Set up with swords dance a few times, and spam earthquake or dragon claw depending on the raid.

The main reason I lose raids is the raid boss resets the stat changes. This basically means I wasted several turns for nothing at the begining of the fight. I hope that they start putting older legendaries into 6 star raids, or maybe even add a new class of raids.

I sometimes do for fun, but mostly because I am weird and I want a collection of the 6 star raid Pokémon that give all herbas, namely Amoonguss, Blissey, Cetitan, Dondozo, Farigiraf and Vaporeon.

The only one I'm missing is Blissey at the time of posting this message.

Any extra herbas are welcome but I'm kinda done with shiny hunting for the time being, as most I still don't have are ugly shinies. I am doing masuda method for the Violet exclusives though, since I have Scarlet. And Froakie.

If the next event Pokémon are Chesnaught, Delphox or Inteleon, I will definitively try those since I do love their shinies. That would mean more masuda method hunting, sigh.

I didn't unlock 6-Star Raids until mid-January, so I couldn't get Charizard or Cinderace. But I did catch Greninja after two attempts using a Gastrodon (as a Host, with the guests being two Slowbro and a Miraidon) and a Lure Ball.

As a self-imposed challenge, I've been mostly raiding to fill in the PokéDex, with my first successful 6-Star Raid being Kingambit. I have not caught a Shiny Pokémon from Tera Raids as of this post but did get pretty good Tera Type combinations (such as Fairy-Tera Goomy). And yeah, I'm grinding EXP Candy for when HOME becomes available for my GO imports (that aren't in SwSh or PLA), valuable items to keep up with the auctions in Porto Marinada, and the Herbica Mystica for the Sparkling Power.

At the moment, I'm being cautious due to the gameplay issues and potential hacked Tera Raids, so I mainly host than join others (asides the occasional Scarlet exclusives like Tyranitar).

I do enjoy Tera Raids, as they're much more streamlined than Max Raids, plus they are a great way to make money due to the item drops. I am, however, cautious with them, as the issues tend to be rather numerous, such as lag, freezing, crashing, and so on. Hopefully that patch that's coming sometime this month will fix those issues.

That being said, Tera Raids are more fun than Max Raids. Again, the drops are nice, and the ally AI is much smarter than the moronic AI in SWSH. Plus if any of the NPCs get knocked out it doesn't affect the timer, unlike in Max Raids, so that's a nice plus. I've recently done a few online raids in hopes of completing 5 Star Raids, as I've been struggling to deal with them solo for a little while now. I will say doing it online does help, yet the lag and other issues tend to become more noticeable. Again, hopefully that patch will fix things and make Tera Raids run more smoothly.

In terms of some Mons to use in Tera Raids, I feel that Dudunsparce is slept on. Being a Normal type means it has a stupidly diverse movepool, which can be used to great effect. For example, combining Coil, one of the best boosting moves in the game, with attacks that are known for low accuracy like Dragon Rush, can turn them into pretty much nigh-unstoppable attacks. My Dudunsparce, Deis, has proven so. Plus if you combine Serene Grace with Body Slam's 30% paralysis rate it can really come in handy (I find Body Slam better than Hyper Drill, especially since it has more PP and the useful paralysis chance). My Dudunsparce knows Coil, Dragon Rush, Drill Run, and Body Slam, along with being equipped with a Rocky Helmet for extra chip damage, which proves to be an effective combo (though I'm tempted to swap out Dragon Rush for Body Press so I can have another Fighting move in my team's arsenal, plus it'd combo well with Coil), and she's won me countless Tera Raids, including a couple of 5 Star Raids without outside help. So while Dudunsparce doesn't seem like much of an evolution to Dunsparce, I feel it's rather slept on since it's a lot sturdier, versatile, and stronger than most people give it credit for.

At this moment, I personally prefer Max Raids. No big bugfix will change the fact that these Tera Raids are just total unstructured anarchy and a fantastic example of why Pokémon battles shouldn't ever stop being turn-based. I don't enjoy playing like that. This chaos belongs in UNITE and should have stayed there.
The bugs actually aren't even my main gripe anymore, I moreso have issues with the chaotic and hectic nature of these raids.

So, yeah, I've already begun to stop doing them unless it's a 7-star event or I desperately need the drops. Three months into this game and I've decided it's just not my thing nor something I'd do just for fun.

as someone who's had to jump back and forth between max raids and tera raids... i'd prefer the latter far more, if only because the latter has more tolerable npcs that contribute more to the battle. dynamax adventures especially has taught me that swsh npcs suck with any pokemon ever and it's a true test of trying to navigate several max raids while trying to successfully KO a legendary and doing that repeatedly for shiny hunting reasons

tera raids definitely aren't everyone's cup of tea with things being in real time but for me it's a welcome breath of fresh air from max raids, for the most part.

as someone who's had to jump back and forth between max raids and tera raids... i'd prefer the latter far more, if only because the latter has more tolerable npcs that contribute more to the battle. dynamax adventures especially has taught me that swsh npcs suck with any pokemon ever and it's a true test of trying to navigate several max raids while trying to successfully KO a legendary and doing that repeatedly for shiny hunting reasons
Speaking of the npcs I have noticed that they use certain pokemon... a lot. There seems to be a ton of usage out of corviknight, haxorous, sylveon, and arboliva. Whats even worse is that all them spam the same move half the time (I know for certain that sylveon spams moonlight and haxorous facade.) I know they are NPCs, but variaty is the spice of life! At least they don't use iron hands...

As far as I can tell, it looks like you only get 1 of the new Paradox mons, so (if I'm correct about that) you need to trade or join a raid in the opposite version to get the other one. I managed the latter and caught Iron Leaves natively and joined a Walking Wake raid to snag them both. They're 5 Star, so it's not terribly hard but they're not a cakewalk either, you should bring something high level (like, Lv. 80+) that's SE against them.

Speaking of the npcs I have noticed that they use certain pokemon... a lot. There seems to be a ton of usage out of corviknight, haxorous, sylveon, and arboliva. Whats even worse is that all them spam the same move half the time (I know for certain that sylveon spams moonlight and haxorous facade.) I know they are NPCs, but variaty is the spice of life! At least they don't use iron hands...

there are some... maybe interesting choices the npcs also use like:

• arcanine: mostly spams leer/flamethrower/bite... i also think it has flare blitz but i'm not 100% sure.
  • toxapex: gonna be honest, i don't see what toxapex adds to most raids except for survivability, but since the timer doesn't deplete when npcs gets knocked out, i kinda forget what purpose this serves.
  • paldean tauros: i don't actually remember if this is a regular tauros or a fire/water variant. i think a regular variant that mostly does either close combat or some other move like double edge until it dies. its role here is more of a glass cannon i think.
  • mudsdale: high horsepower spam, and i think superpower as well? i kinda ignore it every time it gets sent out because it doesn't really contribute thaaaaaat much, tbh.

I really struggled against Iron Leaves even with some friends using Koraidon and Miraidon. Using a Dark type like Chi-Yu is nullified by Megahorn, so I ended up using a Dudunspare for high HP and support with cheers.

it's really curious how a lot of people find iron leaves significantly harder than walking wake. for me personally i've found both easy, using the following strategies:

• for iron leaves, i've used scizor. with focus energy/swords dance/fury cutter you're just about almost set to win provided you max swords dance. even +4 would nearly kill iron leaves leaves.
  • for walking wake, i've found the best strategy would be to have someone use acid spray to lower its special defense a couple of times, and then have someone else attack with miraidon. personally, i've found that elektross helps immensely as it can learn both acid spray and attack supereffectively, so i can deal some damage on top of stat-lowering as well.

After enough tries on Decidueye, I am now thoroughly convinced that a disturbing amount of Pokémon players do not understand basic type matchups or the effects of Terastal. And I also utterly hate how this boss gets multiple moves in one turn after making the barrier. Put all that together and this 7 star boss has easily been the worst one so far. Cinderace was a cunt and a half, but this one is beyond the pale.

You know what? I'm skipping it this time. Fuck this. HOME's transfer update is coming soon, and even if it weren't, I'm after the Hisui form. And I also have all the Ability Patches I need for my projected team. And the Unrivalled mark is purely cosmetic fluff that don't affect anything. I see no point to or no substantial reward in it for me putting up with an obnoxious raid boss that openly cheats to win.

And to think I'd said earlier that the 7 star events would be one exception for my general thoughts on these raids. After Decidueye, I'm not sure about that anymore.

I'm still only halfway through the game and about 2.5 star raid ability, but I've definitely had some fun (it helps that the music rocks). Last night I caught a Fidough with Poison Tera Type -- so obviously I named it "Sourdough".

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom