• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Terrain=New Weather?

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
So with the latest trailer, we got something quite interesting. Alolan Raichu's ability, Surge Surfer, doubles its Speed stat during Electric Terrain. This is similar to the effects that Chlorophyll, Swift Swim, and Sand Rush have during sun, rain, and sandstorm (respectively.)

In addition, Tapu koko has an ability that induces Electric Terrain. It's not that dissimilar from abilities like Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning --all weather abilities that alter the battlefield.

Now, 'terrain' attacks have an interesting parallel with weather attacks. Sandstorm, Sunny Day, and Rain Dance were all introduced in Generation II and drastically affected the battlefield, giving bonuses to certain Pokemon and drawbacks to others. It wasn't until Hoenn (one generation later) however, that Game Freak decided to capitalize on the weather moves by turning them into Pokemon abilities for Groudon, Kyogre, and Tyranitar. Hoenn also brought us weather specific abilities that were designed to exploit the weather in question.

Similarly, terrain moves were introduced in Generation VI (Grassy, Misty, and Electric Terrain.) Now Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu are capitalizing on the move. Could this mean that Alola will do to terrain what Hoenn did to weather? If that's so, can we expect a Pokemon with the ability to induce Grassy Terrain and one with the ability to induce Misty Terrain in a not-dissimilar fashion to Tapu Koko? And can we expect Pokemon new and old to have abilities meant to capitalize on these terrain effects? What are your thoughts and theories on this? In addition, what abilities do you predict could be introduced? Which Pokemon should gain these abilities? Will they introduce a fourth terrain like they eventually did with Hail? If so, which one? Fiery Terrain? Watery Terrain?

Discuss.

Maybe each Tapu will have a terrain ability for their types.

I read somewhere that each of Oricorio's primary types reflects the type of the respective island guardian. If that's the case, then the island guardians will be at least part fire, electric, psychic, and ghost. None of those particularly scream Grassy or Misty Terrain for me. It should be noted that my source is completely unconfirmed and could be entirely wrong.

Either way, if each island guardian is meant to have a terrain move, and there are four islands while we only have three terrain moves, then that means that there's an odd man out.

Well we already got Grass Pelt last generation, so Surge Surfer isn't really new territory there.

I hope there is a few more interesting ones though, just for the sake of making more strategies available.

I don't really want a Water one since Water types already have Drizzle. If we're getting new ones I would prefer to see them given to the "lesser" types. Maybe a Poison one could be fun.

Well we already got Grass Pelt last generation, so Surge Surfer isn't really new territory there.

I hope there is a few more interesting ones though, just for the sake of making more strategies available.

I don't really want a Water one since Water types already have Drizzle. If we're getting new ones I would prefer to see them given to the "lesser" types. Maybe a Poison one could be fun.

I could see them doing something like Swampy Terrain. That might be cool.

Oh wow, I must've missed the Tapu Koko reveal as I had no idea it's ability did that. I was discussing with a friend last night that I believed terrains would get their own inducing-abilities and I compared Raichu to a Swift Swim user partnering with a Drizzle user, glad I was right, that's pretty amazing! 10/10 will use this strategy.

I'd like them to retcon the Pledge moves to as new Terrain and Weather.

New Weather:
* Rainbow - Increases the chance of secondary effects and critical hits.

New Terrain:
* Magma Terrain - Deals 1/8th HP damage to all non-Fire type Pokemon that touch the ground.

* Swampy Terrain - Halves the speed of all non-Water and non-Grass type Pokemon that touch the ground.

I think we might see some more Terrain moves/abilities especially if the other guardians would have them.

I can imagine this gen taking what Gen VI introduced and expanding upon it, much like you said what Gen III did for what Gen II introduced.

I'm expecting the other island guardians to have abilities similar to Tapu Koko's. If Oricorio's types do take after the guardians then we can possibly expect a Fire, Ghost & Psychic terrain effect & matching ability.

I think this could end up happening~ Hopefully the abilities could get spread to other non legendary mons as Hidden Abilities (since Drizzle and Drought must have been considered too good for other Pokemon until Gen V, but even as a regular ability like Snow Warning or Sand Stream on a few select mons would be good~) I really want to use Alola Raichu and while I don't dislike Tapu Koko, I don't really want to be forced to use a Legendary Pokemon to make it happen (unless, of course, it's not UBERs)

Weather: Rock(sandstorm), Ice(hail), Water(rain), Fire(sun), Normal(mist)

Psyhic types got : Trick Room, Magic Room, Wonder Room.(3, but none cast by pokemon)

Psychic has even an move called Gravity , that could be made as a cast ability for a pokemon.

Ghost and dark would really need asomething like psyhic type got with the rooms.(they dont need a terrain like fairy did)

The Ground type would deserve a sand orientated terrain.
(we have so many sand based moves and ground types oriented in it, sand could work that flying type attacks and grass are halved, sand with water creates mud, with fire creates glass, thats could also be used somehow...)

Ice would deserve a Artic terrain the buff it really needs.

Plus if weather could interact with terrain we may get interesting extra effects for some moves and abilities.(for future, remember ground+water=mud)

the pokemon cating weather like rain could be added a few, other got more.
The same with terrains , make more regular pokes with them not only legendaries.

Last edited:
What about a Bug-type terrain called String Field that slows all Pokemon except Bug-types?

thought rather about Web Room cast ability?
like Sticky Web the entry hazard and Spider Web together?
with flinching the first turn ???
or reducing attack and speed every time a physical move is used???

Or a swamp that would protect bugs from most of their weaknes reducing them to normal.
But thats for future, like with Fog weather , that could have been a ghost type weather condition more sinister then mist was.

Last edited:
A Bug terrain should turn Bug moves into multi-hit moves (with the power increase that terrains grant too). Like a swarm is attacking.

Something like "Hive Terrain" idk.

or make Bugs gain something diffrent in every existing terrain?
I would rather they got some kind of "one turn immunity" like the new Mimikyu in Disquise.

A Bug terrain should turn Bug moves into multi-hit moves (with the power increase that terrains grant too). Like a swarm is attacking.

Something like "Hive Terrain" idk.

X-Scissor and Megahorn as multi-hit moves? *Shudder*

What about giving Bugs a speed increase and/or making them immune to Fire or lessen Fire's damage on Bug? A swampy terrain could be very damp so Fire could do less damage.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom