• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Terrible Pokemon you used to use

Anyways, most terrible Pokemon I used to use? Easy- the elemental monkeys. They take forever to level up despite how early you get them as well as their mediocrity, their moves and stats blow ass, and they are an eye sore. What a waste of a good elemental stone. They are super terrible and I'll never use them again.

Are we talking the same elemental monkeys here? Because Simisage is flat-out awesome. Used one on my team in Black. After Striaton Gym, it did kinda take a backseat to my Pignite and Woobat, but I persevered. Eventually, Pansage learned Seed Bomb, and I got the Leaf Stone for it in Castelia City, and I wasn't gonna wait for Crunch, so I evolved Pansage then and there. And it was a good choice on my part- Bite was more than sufficient until I got the TM for Shadow Claw, and Seed Bomb? Ohh, man, it just destroyed stuff with it. Elesa's Zebstrika didn't stand a chance, nor did Clay's entire team. Honestly, if you know what you're doing with Pansage, it's no worse than sticking it out with a Magikarp in order to eventually be rewarded with a Gyarados.

As far as competitive battling goes, I use male Combee to set up Tailwind and Endeavor, paving the way for my Chandelure to get in a free Flame Charge. It's like a Scarf Chandelure that isn't limited to one move. And I sometimes give Delibird a shot around Christmastime, and I gotta say, it could be worse. Could be a whole lot better, too, but still. Hustle and STAB Aerial Ace go quite well together, though, there's no disputing that. Oh, and I use an Assault Vest/Nuzzle Dedenne for paralysis support. Nuzzle is basically Thunder Wave's loophole around the Assault Vest restriction, and the Assault Vest plus full HP EVs, you'd be surprised at what that lets Dedenne survive. Oh, and Furfrou. Retaliate/Wild Charge/Sucker Punch/U-turn. Jolly. 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP. Holding an Assault Vest. Basic idea is, bring it in when something faints, hit hard with STAB Retaliate, then U-turn the hell outta there, or use Wild Charge or Sucker Punch if an opportunity presents itself. And between Fur Coat and the Assault Vest, plus Furfrou's naturally decent Special Defense, believe me, it can hold its own when it needs to.

I used Plusle in my Omega Ruby playthrough, Dedenne in Pokemon X, and Pachirisu in Pokemon Y

I can't believe I didn't mention this one. I did a playthrough of Alpha Sapphire with terrible Pokémon, purely to prove just how easy the games were getting. The team I used consisted of Sunkern, Feebas, Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Happiny, and Nosepass. Did not evolve any of them. Beat the game, up to and including the catching of Deoxys. In space. And it was fun. :) Ever see a Sunkern's Nature Power turn into Draco Meteor? I sure did.

I used and still use Meganium on Pokemon Silver and Stadium 2. Hell It was the MVP in that prime cup battle against the annoying scientist who loves using swagger. Equip a bitter berry, take the first swagger, safeguard then proceed to body slam his team to pieces. It can also be surprisingly deadly with a scope lens spamming razor leaf.

Meganium isn't even terrible in-game. It's the only starter I've ever chosen when playing HGSS (and I've played it a fair few times) and there wasn't a single time where I regret choosing it. It's just another case where a Pokemon doesn't OHKO every NPC's team so people automatically label it as terrible. Competitive-wise, yeah, it's pretty garbage but in-game it really isn't bad.

Then again , I've defended using Serperior in-game against the vast waves of people claiming they had to ditch it because it's so awful, so what do I know.

/Grass fan out

I've actually gotten some mileage out of Meganium in competitive play. In OU, no less. Is it a good Pokemon? Hardly, but I think a lot of people vastly overstate it's badness.

I used Plusle in my Omega Ruby playthrough, Dedenne in Pokemon X, and Pachirisu in Pokemon Y

Well, for whatever it matters, Pachirisu isn't a terrible Pokemon, if we consider last years PWC lol.

OT: I have a bond with Croconaw. I don't know, I just love that crocodile. I saw it as my partner in crime (full on Ash-Pikachu) in both GS and HGSS. Of course, Feraligatr is far more stronger, but Croconaw is less.. Clunky. I had trouble in a few battles, but being a few levels higher than the NPC helped significantly.

Blitzle, and it was just flat-out unsuable in BW1. It kept getting knocked-out left, right, and centre, and sometimes it even got 1-2HKOed by a flying-type attack. And unlike other Pokemon that I worked with, it just can't seem to OHKO anything, even with STAB and type advantages. It was one of my few times in the entire franchise that I released a Pokemon, Damian-style. It was just unreliable in functioning as type-diversification, and worse, you don't get any good Electric-type until you beyond halfway through the game. Thank goodness Mareep was around early in BW2.

Purrloin was just as bad too, and I also got rid of it.

Greninja seemed to be this in my team in Y, not doing enough damage and having a rather shallow movepool, so I ended up ditching it. I see why it's good with Protean, but without Protean, it's nothing.

Anyways, most terrible Pokemon I used to use? Easy- the elemental monkeys. They take forever to level up despite how early you get them as well as their mediocrity, their moves and stats blow ass, and they are an eye sore. What a waste of a good elemental stone. They are super terrible and I'll never use them again.

Are we talking the same elemental monkeys here? Because Simisage is flat-out awesome.
Simisage is probably the most useful of the three. I had a Pansage on X that wasn't too terrible and could hold its own but had to box it because Bulbasaur.

Pansear, which I used in Black, was terrible. I can't speak for Panpour at all, as I've never used it but Pansear didn't impress me. It does seem that the little broccoli monkey was the best out of the set.

And now a "What might have been" hits me: we got our elemental monkey at the Dreamyard, no? But we could also find them in the shaking grass at Pinwheel. What if the NPC didn't give us an elemental monkey but a DW Golett with its HA and an elemental punch? In the case of Chili, it would have been easy but for Cilan and Cress it would have been challenge mode. (A Ground type against a Grass or Water type? Even with Thunder or Ice Punch it might not have been all that easy.)

It'd be nice if GF decided to do that in a Unova remake in ten years but I'm not holding my breath.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom