• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 2010 Earthquake Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it's not so much more are happening than we're more globally aware of them after what happened in Haiti. Earthquakes are actually quite common, but they rarely cause little more than the ground to shake.

True, earthquakes are pretty common. But big ones like this one and the past few ones happening within a span of 4 months is something that doesn't occur very much, from what I understand anyways. I've counted at least 8 so far, I might have missed a few though:

- Haiti
- Chile
- Mexico/California
- Taiwan
- Turkey
- Somatra/Indonesia
- Japan
- And now Spain

That's not in order by the way... but anyhoo, the quakes that I just listed have 1) Appeared on the news, and 2) were rated a 6.0 or larger. And all of 'em have happened this year.

Lack of Yellow Stone erupting, is a good reason why you shouldn't be worried about the state of the tectonic plates or the earth in general. Once that bastard goes pop then I will be worried.

Lack of Yellow Stone erupting, is a good reason why you shouldn't be worried about the state of the tectonic plates or the earth in general. Once that bastard goes pop then I will be worried.

And that bastard's gonna take me out first... providing if I'm the only Bulba member here who lives in Wyoming that is. o_O Yellowstone, I'm not too worried about. I don't see that happening within our lifetime. But to be honest here, this is the first time I've heard of this many damaging earthquakes in such a short amount of time... and I pay attention to the news quite a bit.

The reason why you don't see a lot of them in the news is because for a natural occurence, you need bodycounts for the media to care. They're pretty forgettable otherwise. Oh my, my bed rocked while I was asleep. *Rolls over.* Wake me up at noon, please.

This actually happened three years ago when there was an earthquake in my area.

Nicoleta - the 7,1 was "downgraded" to a 6.8, I believe.

There has NOT Been an unusual amount of earthquake this year. There have been, so far, three and a half month in 2010, six 7.0-7.9 earthquakes, one 8.0+, and several smaller ones.

The yearly average is about 18 7.0-7.9, 1 8.0+, and lots of smaller ones. This is, in fact, largely what we're seeing so far.

This is most definitely a strange occurance, mainly because of the amount of earthquakes versus the time that has passed between each one. Some people are starting to believe that it's the early phase of the "End of the World". I have to admit it is strange but it's most likely not the end haha.

No, it is not a strange occurence, damn it!

So far, we're having an about average year for 7.0+ earthquakes. Above average for the 6.0-6.9 earthquakes, but most years since 2002 have been above average, so I suspect we just got better at tracking earthquakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom