• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 2014 World Cup Thread

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
Terrible refereeing and lots of diving. But WOW what a goal by van Persie and Netherlands.

Who are you rooting for in this, the largest sporting event in the world?

Well I have to be rooting for the Americans of course. I also have a soft spot for the British (because of Wayne Rooney).

But wow, who saw this coming from the Dutch (and from Spain as well). 5-1 in favor of the Oranje, RvP and Arjen Robben with a pair of goals each.

Last edited:
Holy crap. Netherlands fucked Spains shit up.

Spain got REKT.
Well, it appears that this Spanish tiki-taka came to its end after 6 years.

USA needs to beat Ghana and steal points from Portugal and Germany and hope for the best. What a brutal group draw they got.

I don't think I've ever been more wrong with my prediction (Spain 2-0). Oh my word this game is already a classic. I can honestly say no Dutch person expected this. Nearly everyone had extremely low expectations, especially against Spain. I can only hope this is not just for this match, but I really don't think so after watching this.

Shocking how fast Spain keeper Iker Casillas has declined. That bad first touch on the last goal was downright embarrassing.

Very proud of Australia. Fought and held their own against a quality side that can beat the Dutch and Spain. Obviously have to confident with the next game being the Dutch. Great signs from Leckie, Wilkinson, Halloran and Franjic.

Australia played very well after looking completely outmatched the first twenty minutes. I thought they would get the equalizer against Chile. Cahill is a beast in the air.

Australia played very well after looking completely outmatched the first twenty minutes. I thought they would get the equalizer against Chile. Cahill is a beast in the air.

The fact Chile is by far the shortest team on average, didn't help much. Every-single-ball on the air is a nightmare and our best defender is actually a 5'7" tall midfielder. We had two tall centre backs, but both of them were discarded before one of them is a young wimp who became nervous at the first days of training, and the other hasn't played a single match in six months and is out of shape.

So, here we are like this...
tumblr_n74psh8QsU1r88u00o1_r1_400.gif

P.S. NO, Pitbull is not our coach. xD

Last edited:
I'm very excited for Italy/England tomorrow. Best part: it's the first round so England can't be eliminated on penalties yet.

I'm very excited for Italy/England tomorrow. Best part: it's the first round so England can't be eliminated on penalties yet.

Two teams who saw better times in the past. But a classic is a classic and that never dies.

Any predictions on who you think will win the whole ball of wax?

I am going with Argentina over Brazil in a legendary final. Messi will shake the critics who say he folds under the WC pressure with an inspired tournament.

Any predictions on who you think will win the whole ball of wax?

I am going with Argentina over Brazil in a legendary final. Messi will shake the critics who say he folds under the WC pressure with an inspired tournament.

I'll wait for Argentina's debut before saying anything. Last semester Messi wasn't doing very well, yeah he scored a lot but still below his standards and in Barcelona the whole team plays for him anyway. But again, I prefer to wait for him in action. Many players perform in a completely different level (for good or for bad) in a regular league game than in a friendly or a world cup.

Still their group is a piece of cake. Compare with Germany's or Spain's.

News just in - Buffon will not play the match against England. It seems likely that Salvatore Sirigu will take his place.

News just in - Buffon will not play the match against England. It seems likely that Salvatore Sirigu will take his place.

:O That's sad. Injuried?

The list of injuried players who missed or nearly missed this WC is so big, they could make a squad by themselves and even win the trophy.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom