• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 2vs2 metagame: Shunned or just Ignored?

Kari Kagome & Mewtwo

ROFLcopter: Iraqi Assault
Reaction score
Everyone always seems to play the traditional 1vs1 instead of 2vs2. Usually everyone I see has the common misconception that "2vs2 is all about Exploding, Earthquaking, and Flying/Levitate" While I'll admit EQ and Explosion are indeed kinda broken in 2vs2, there still are ways to overcome that so that shouldn't be the only reason.

Who else supports the idea of trying to start up the 2vs2 metagame again?

Urr. Because let's analyze: 1) Gengar totally pwnz the entire 2v2 metagame on both teams, offensively and defensively. 2) It is about using things like Earthquake as if there is no tomorrow. 3) Explosion + a ghost or a rock or steel = the single best strat evar unless you face off against a ghost or rock or steel.

It's too simplified.

1.) Gengar falls fast if it can't KO. Dusclops on the other hand can do alot more in the time alotted while it can't necessarily be offensive: Wisp, Imprison, Skill Swap, etc

2.) The abundance of Flying/Levitate and Ghost limits the usefulness of that.

3.) And hence why pokemon in 2vs2 carry Protect and/or Substitute or a ghost type (Dusclops, not Gengar)

Doesn't anyone fall flat if they don't KO? Realistically, Gengar is built as a sweeper and it MUST KO qickly regardless of what metagame you're playing.

When I said "and the like", I meant including moves like Heat Wave and such which cover the field.

And subs are just as predictable, if you're good, as the explosion itself.

2v2 is too fast-paced. Generally, battles end in about 10 turns at most. Fast battles are nice, but it's almost impossible to develop a strategy in 2v2 - it's all about short-term tactics, which sorely limits options.

I wasnt crazy about for a while until collusm came out it was all 2vs2. It is a bit fast paced but I guess it whould get boring if it was long except if your battleing a friend. So yeah Id like to see it back up.

Last edited:
It seems to me people are really accomodated to Singles, myself included. Sure, it's way difficult to pull off long-term tactics, but that doesn't mean the number of short-term tactics hasn't changed (remember you can target moves at your own partner, apart from Doubles-specific moves). Besides, from my own experience, TONS of prediction are needed during the WHOLE battle, no matter what you're going to use -- and this is what makes Doubles worth it.

If only Doubles were introduced earlier, like in GSC...

I like 2vs2 better than 1 on 1. Most of my strategies are made for them :D

I love synchronizing my fellow slaking, then synchronizing to the enemy...*snicker*

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom