• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
The size is same as the 3DS XL's top screen, bottom screen, or both combined? That's my point. The top screen, yes, but then how about the bottom screen, with the options to fight, save, etc.?
Options to fight, save etc. can be put on one screen. If Pokémon had to have two screens to work, we would only have Gen IV on. So I fail to see the issue here.

The fact that you can't really bring it anywhere as Nintendo says it's confined at home.
Switch is not confined to home, not for Fire Emblem or anything else. That would destroy the entire point of the console. Point me to one point in the direct that they said FE Switch would be home console mode only. (Though I personally have no problem with FE on home console, I really liked Radiant Dawn).

And yes, the mobile games are for side games and whatnots, but seeing Super Mario Run having almost the same concept as usual Mario games, ignoring the fact that you can't control Mario except jumping and stuff, I'm starting to see Nintendo actually using the mobile market as an advantage not only to let others buy products, but to get more money.
Of course they're using it to get money, that's kind of the point? They're a business, the entire reason they exist is to make money. I don't understand what point you're attempting to make. They're trying to make money... which is good, if they didn't try to make money there'd be no point. :/

Options to fight, save etc. can be put on one screen. If Pokémon had to have two screens to work, we would only have Gen IV on. So I fail to see the issue here.
But what about the Rotom Pokedex? Can't be on while your on the playing screen. That's the only issue

Switch is not confined to home, not for Fire Emblem or anything else. That would destroy the entire point of the console. Point me to one point in the direct that they said FE Switch would be home console mode only. (Though I personally have no problem with FE on home console, I really liked Radiant Dawn).
Nope confirmed by Fire Emblem Direct that Warriors is confined at home.

But what about the Rotom Pokedex? Can't be on while your on the playing screen. That's the only issue
Rotom could still talk and give us directions, with the map being a click away. Less hand holding wouldn't hurt, especially for the second time visiting Alola.

Actually... The map could take up a small part of the screen much like in Ni no Kuni. It should be optional.

"but with Nintendo Switch, the home console experience of Fire Emblem won't be confined to your house."

That is in reference to the 2018 game, but I don't see anything to suggest that Warriors is any different.

Last edited:

Name one person who would actually miss that :p I (and plenty of others) would welcome having to press a button before getting any blatant obvious hints from that thing. It constantly blinking in the bottom screen doesn't add anything at all.

The only thing that is said about Warriors in the direct is that it's also being developed for the N3DS and that it's out in Fall 2017. They say zero about it being confined at home. And as Silktree said, about the Switch FE game they literally say it won't be confined to your home.

Name one person who would actually miss that :p I (and plenty of others) would welcome having to press a button before getting any blatant obvious hints from that thing. It constantly blinking in the bottom screen doesn't add anything at all.
Me, some of my friends, etc. Heck it was a really convenient tool for navigation - pressing a button kinda kills it.
The only thing that is said about Warriors in the direct is that it's also being developed for the N3DS and that it's out in Fall 2017. They say zero about it being confined at home. And as Silktree said, about the Switch FE game they literally say it won't be confined to your home.
Aaaaaand I said the wrong game :p. It wasn't Warriors, it was the one where they haven't announced the title. Doofus little me need to know which game is which.

"but with Nintendo Switch, the home console experience of Fire Emblem won't be confined to your house."

That is in reference to the 2018 game, but I don't see anything to suggest that Warriors is any different.

View: https://youtu.be/Eq1Xzycyp2E?t=6m30s

But what about stuff like Refresh and PokePelago? Those places require touchscreen to use them, and there is no Touchscreen when playing in TV mode. Will we be forced to get up from the sofa, disconnect the handheld part of the Switch and play Refresh/PokePelago on the small screen? This kinda defeats the purpose of "Pokemon on your TV for the fist time ever y´all!"

It is far from a big issue, but it is really counter intuitive. Same goes for not having the Navigation Map on the lower screen, which is the entire purpose of having a moving map xD

I just think it is a much better idea to keep the entire Gen VII on the 3DS since the gen is based around the 3DS gimmicks, and start Gen VIII fresh on the Switch next year or something.

Last edited:
But what about Refresh and PokePelago? Those places require touchscreen to use them, and there is no Touchscreen when playing in TV mode. Will we be forced to get up from the sofa, disconnect the handheld part of the Switch and play Refresh/PokePelago on the small screen? This kinda defeats the purpose of "Pokemon on your TV for the fist time ever y´all!"

It is far from a big issue, but it is really counter intuitive. Same goes for not having the Navigation Map on the lower screen, which is the entire purpose of having a moving map xD

I just think it is a much better idea to keep the entire Gen VII on the 3DS, and start Gen VIII fresh on the Switch next year or something.
That works fine. Just like Gen V.

You're really overreacting about having to undock the Switch for two optional features that some people never use, and having the map not take up a whole screen at all times (again, the Ni no Kuni method is perfectly convenient for players who don't know where to go). The main advantage of the second screen in the last two generations was the communication interface, which Sun and Moon removed. The only logical reason for that is that Game Freak are getting ready for the Switch.

And a new generation won't be ready next year. I have no words for anyone who thinks that its development should be rushed just so that Game Freak can release another 3DS game.

@Sir Cookie You seem to be having a problem understanding the narrator. He says "won't be" rather than "will be", and you should take everyone's word for it because you're the only one who got the wrong message.

Last edited:
Me, some of my friends, etc. Heck it was a really convenient tool for navigation - pressing a button kinda kills it.

Maybe it could give us random speech bubbles? They would be small, and would go away with a click.

But what about stuff like Refresh and PokePelago? Those places require touchscreen to use them, and there is no Touchscreen when playing in TV mode. Will we be forced to get up from the sofa, disconnect the handheld part of the Switch and play Refresh/PokePelago on the small screen? This kinda defeats the purpose of "Pokemon on your TV for the fist time ever y´all!"

I covered this very concern over the Stars thread (specifically the Refresh Part)

"Sorry for the misunderstanding...

For TV, I think they could do it like the Wii, where a virtual hand pointed wherever you pointed your Wii remote.

I also believe that Pokemon Stars can use HD rumble for battle, and Refresh. It would make the experience even better."

Lowenthal definitely said "won't be confined to your house" there.

As for Poke Pelago, doesn't the Switch's right Joycon have a sensor to allow it to detect things in front of it, even recognize hand gestures? I imagine they can do something with that as a stand in for the Touch screen.

As for the maps, it can be like most 3D Zeldas (the only exception to this that I can think of is MM3D, where it was just on the touch screen) where there's a small map in the corner of the screen. It works well enough there.

HD Rumble should work as an alternative to the touchscreen. I am not sure if Game Freak will do a good job with it, but again, if you prefer the touchscreen absolutely nothing stops you from using it. The Switch is all about playing in both form factors depending on your need.

I don't think either Pelago or Refresh is going to get much focus anymore, anyway. It seems that the next big feature is the return of walking Pokemon, which the home console experience should augment.

The 3ds and amiibo are the only things making Nintendo money right now,the switch would have to be a huge success or the 3ds would have to start floundering for them to stop supporting it.

Nintendo's mobile games as of yet have not made them money,sure Mario run had great download fifuess but it also had huge backlash over the $10 dollar price.

Nintendo's stock market price has been in freefall for months now,they need the switch to be a huge success or they could swiftly become a 3rd party publisher only.

@Sir Cookie You seem to be having a problem understanding the narrator. He says "won't be" rather than "will be", and you should take everyone's word for it because you're the only one who got the wrong message.
hahaha my bad :p my agrument is invalid. No wonder no one else was hearing what I was...

You're really overreacting about having to undock the Switch for two optional features that some people never use, and having the map not take up a whole screen at all times (again, the Ni no Kuni method is perfectly convenient for players who don't know where to go). The main advantage of the second screen in the last two generations was the communication interface, which Sun and Moon removed. The only logical reason for that is that Game Freak are getting ready for the Switch.
Another big advantage of the second screen is convenience. Making it easier to sort Pokemon, use items, etc. Would Game Freak really go back to one screen, where you have to move everything using the D-pad again?
Poke Pelago is convenient for getting Pokemon beans, training, and getting some really good items, as well as a good shiny hunting tool. Pokemon Refresh can get rid of status effects conveniently, as well as do what Poke-Amie did - raising affection to land more crits, survive on 1 hp, etc. Both are really useful, and both have people using them a lot.
Finally, if not using the Portable Switch (As I like to call it), there is no touchscreen option, therefore it's back to Gen III, where you can't just tap on anything.
All can be edited in a later Generation, I'm saying Gen VIII coming out in 2019/2020 or so. Heck Gen VI came out for 3DS 2 years after the 3DS was released. Why, we could have gotten Black 2 White 2, released 2012, for 3DS, but we didn't. If the Switch is successful, it should live for the next 4-5 years, a perfect range for Gen VIII to slide onto the Switch.

I used to think that the 2 screens gimmick was unnecessary and too... well... gimmicky. But after trying it myself I realized that it is actually quite useful for Pokemon... Especially for being allowed to do 2 things at once. It is twice the amount of action on screen, in half of the time. For example, I can have the PSS turned on, in Gen VI, and go around adventuring around the region while seeing if anyone wants to battle/trade with me, etc. I can also look at the live time region map and see where I am going, while I am moving in the game.

All this convenience will be lost or at least decreased by going back to the single screen usage if Pokemon does indeed move on to the Switch. I don´t doubt that the future Pokemon games on the Switch will have some advantages over the dual screen era games, but it is clear they will have some evident disadvantages as well.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean they can't keep with the 3DS until Gen VIII, when they can switch up the formula a bit.

They have to make the switch (pun intended) at some point, I'd rather they do it now and practice how to make a Switch game with a game that is already done for the most part, than having to focus on making a new game and still learn how to make it compatible with the Switch. Remember XY with pretty graphics but a story that left to be desired? Let's avoid that please.

That doesn't mean they can't keep with the 3DS until Gen VIII, when they can switch up the formula a bit.

Yep, but then the Switch has to wait longer to have a Pokémon game. It's not difficult to see why Nintendo would want to be able to boast a Pokémon game for the Switch as soon as possible, so we have here our choice: either Pokémon stays on a fading console that they'll be leaving in two years maximum anyway, and deprives the Switch of a great resource, or they can get accustomed to the Switch right now on a largely disposable game that will still sell plenty and be a great thing for the Switch to be able to offer.

Sacrificing dual-screens (which are already less essential to SM than they were to XY/ORAS) is worth the long-term benefits, in my opinion. They're clever chaps, they can figure out a way around them.

I for once won't be interested in playing Pokemon on the TV, plus I already have a console (not Nintendo) at my home.
I would like it if they release a Mini Switch, one that's cheaper and easier to transport than the regular Switch. It would still be a Switch and run the same software, but it would be smaller.
I also like the touch screen and stylus of the 3DS.

It would be easy for Nintendo to do,the switch already runs with less resolution than Wii u when it's in portable mode.

Plus the switch has less power, processing speed,internal memory,and screen resolution than most tablets.

Right now it's be stupid to buy a switch compared to what else you can get for the money.

They should release a switch without the TV docks( which cost 80 separately) and charge 150 for it

Back
Top Bottom